PDA

View Full Version : LDS General Conference, April 2018

UtahsMrSports
03-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Should be an interesting weekend with two new apostles being announced (any guesses?) Also first conference presided over by the new presidency.

Scorcho
03-25-2018, 07:03 PM
Should be an interesting weekend with two new apostles being announced (any guesses?) Also first conference presided over by the new presidency.

and the announcement of the new 2 hour meeting church block

:jig:

UBlender
03-25-2018, 09:25 PM
We know the scouting program is going to be overhauled in the near future. I've heard rumblings that it may be cued up and ready to go, although I don't know that such a thing would be announced over the pulpit in General Conference.

UTEopia
03-26-2018, 08:07 AM
and the announcement of the new 2 hour meeting church block

:jig:

Let's skip two hour blocks and go straight to e-church.

USS Utah
03-31-2018, 11:12 AM
For those who wanted diversity:

Elder Gerrit W. Gong and Elder Ulisses Soares were called as apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Saturday morning during the church's annual general conference.

Elder Gong is the first Asian American called as an LDS apostle, and Elder Soares is the first Latin American called as an LDS apostle.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46291430&nid=148&title=elders-gerrit-w-gong-and-ulisses-soares-called-as-new-apostles-of-lds-church

sancho
03-31-2018, 12:19 PM
For those who wanted diversity:

Does anyone not like diversity?

Diehard Ute
03-31-2018, 03:05 PM

Donald Trump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USS Utah
03-31-2018, 03:08 PM

I probably could have said that differently. There have been some calling for diversity in these calls, for those who have done so, here it is.

LA Ute
03-31-2018, 03:59 PM
I probably could have said that differently. There have been some calling for diversity in these calls, for those who have done so, here it is.

It was only a matter of time.

arizonaute
03-31-2018, 07:45 PM
Never been released by TV before. Goodbye pec meeting

LA Ute
03-31-2018, 10:24 PM
Never been released by TV before. Goodbye pec meeting

Lots of wards already have only ward council weekly, no PEC. Ours does it that way. I think the change makes sense.

Still getting my mind wrapped around the priesthood structure revision.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180401/6bf6a8ba63b20a12344171b722306501.jpg

Scorcho
04-01-2018, 03:22 AM
HA!

drink you Ensure gents, no longer do all the moving assignments remain with the spiritually remedial EQ.

reminder: lift with your legs and not your back

LA Ute
04-01-2018, 05:14 PM
This change was announced separately, probably to avoid the outcry that would have resulted had it been announced in a general conference session. This news is just now starting to come out.

LDS Church to Disable WiFi in Meetinghouses

http://www.ldsdaily.com/entertainment/lds-church-to-disable-wireless-internet-in-meetinghouses/

Mormon Red Death
04-01-2018, 05:28 PM
This change was announced separately, probably to avoid the outcry that would have resulted had it been announced in a general conference session. This news is just now starting to come out.

LDS Church to Disable WiFi in Meetinghouses

http://www.ldsdaily.com/entertainment/lds-church-to-disable-wireless-internet-in-meetinghouses/ hardy har har April fools

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

chrisrenrut
04-01-2018, 06:01 PM
hardy har har April fools

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it was real. I turn off wifi on my phone when going into the building. It gets so bogged down, and I hate realizing something I want to look at is blocked.

UtahsMrSports
04-02-2018, 10:01 AM
Went to dinner at my in-laws last night and of course, we had a good discussion about this past conference.

I have tried over the years to have more patience and charity toward my mother in law and in the last year, some huge progress has been made in that regard. Nevertheless, I still have to chuckle from time to time at her lack of perspective. (She grew up in Ogden, went to Weber State and has lived her entire adult life in southern weber county). She is a temple worker at the Ogden temple and made the comment that she was so "excited" for her fellow workers who were from Layton who had recently been "reassigned" to go "clear down" to Bountiful now wouldn't have to go so far. I just chuckled inside.

That aside, my favorite part of conference is always the temple announcements. I get choked up thinking about how wonderful it is that the LDS folks in Nicaragua, Russia, and India will have better access to the temples.

Finally, I might never understand why people feel like getting into the conference center and yelling about whatever issue they have that day will accomplish anything.

LA Ute
04-03-2018, 10:17 PM
Went to dinner at my in-laws last night and of course, we had a good discussion about this past conference.

I have tried over the years to have more patience and charity toward my mother in law and in the last year, some huge progress has been made in that regard. Nevertheless, I still have to chuckle from time to time at her lack of perspective. (She grew up in Ogden, went to Weber State and has lived her entire adult life in southern weber county). She is a temple worker at the Ogden temple and made the comment that she was so "excited" for her fellow workers who were from Layton who had recently been "reassigned" to go "clear down" to Bountiful now wouldn't have to go so far. I just chuckled inside.

That aside, my favorite part of conference is always the temple announcements. I get choked up thinking about how wonderful it is that the LDS folks in Nicaragua, Russia, and India will have better access to the temples.

Finally, I might never understand why people feel like getting into the conference center and yelling about whatever issue they have that day will accomplish anything.

What would we do without in-laws?

I can’t remember a GC that had the impact on me that this one did. It was in a class of its own.

Utah
04-11-2018, 12:04 PM

To be fair, only when the church gets pressure from outside sources, do they actually change anything.

From polygamy to racist policies, to BYU and their protecting rapists, and kids and meetings with bishops and so on and so on.

What the person was yelling about is a real issue and an issue the church has problems with.

Unfortunately, when it comes to older leadership, they are usually out of touch with reality, they are usually set in their ways, and they usually need new blood or a forceful push to do what is actually right.

Kudos to that woman for standing up for what she believes in (which is what we all believe, right) and hopefully the church will make changes in their policies to stop protecting sexual predators.

tooblue
04-11-2018, 12:40 PM
To be fair, only when the church gets pressure from outside sources, do they actually change anything.

From polygamy to racist policies, to BYU and their protecting rapists, and kids and meetings with bishops and so on and so on.

What the person was yelling about is a real issue and an issue the church has problems with.

Unfortunately, when it comes to older leadership, they are usually out of touch with reality, they are usually set in their ways, and they usually need new blood or a forceful push to do what is actually right.

Kudos to that woman for standing up for what she believes in (which is what we all believe, right) and hopefully the church will make changes in their policies to stop protecting sexual predators.

Are you for real? Seriously, are you some Russian troll, or a programmed bot designed to post the most hyperbolic and idiotic posts ever read on any sports message board anywhere?

:facepalm:

UtahsMrSports
04-11-2018, 12:46 PM

You're making your point by blending two entirely separate things and trying to make them one thing.

I have quite a bit to say about the "Protect LDS Children" movement from this past conference, but I will leave most of that out here and I'll just say that I acknowledge that you are correct in this case that the church heard that those folks were coming, looked into the issue, and made a change.

This leads me to my point. These folks put their movement together organically through facebook and others outlets, they bought newspaper ad space, and they marched peacefully from one spot to another to deliver their books and signatures. The number of people who came to worship that they distracted from was 0. As for the woman who yelled during conference, she distracted from several thousands trying to worship; and that is simply inappropriate. (BTW, in the days following conference, this woman got into the Mormon Stories facebook group and accused John Dehlin of sexual harassment and assault, then apologized with the caveat that it was better for a straight white guy like John to go down than for her movement to falter, and then finally outright admitted to being mistaken and apologized to john without conditions. Shes a lunatic who in no way shape or form helped her cause). If you can't tell the difference in appropriateness from one group to the other, then I simply can't help you.