PDA

View Full Version : The "I Saw it While Driving Thread" UB5 Version

SuperGabers
02-25-2013, 08:30 PM
On the MBDS (message board down south) we had the same thread where you post the funny, stupid, shameful, and crazy pictures you see while you are driving.

And... Go!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

chrisrenrut
02-27-2013, 07:55 PM
A while back I was driving home from work on I-215 east of the airport towards Davis county. Traffic was light and I was going about 75 MPH (pay no attention, Diehard Ute).

I noticed 3 strange things all at once. I noticed something moving rapidly up and down in my peripheral vision to my left, i heard a loud grinding sound, and I saw a car on the other side of the freeway with a large amount of sparks coming from it.

I finally realized that the object moving up and down rapidly was the sparky car's front drivers side wheel and tire, and it was coming right at me. It bounced over my car and missed me by about 5 feet. It took me a few minutes to realize how dangerous the situation could have been.

San Diego Ute Fan
02-27-2013, 10:06 PM
A while back I was driving home from work on I-215 east of the airport towards Davis county. Traffic was light and I was going about 75 MPH (pay no attention, Diehard Ute).

I noticed 3 strange things all at once. I noticed something moving rapidly up and down in my peripheral vision to my left, i heard a loud grinding sound, and I saw a car on the other side of the freeway with a large amount of sparks coming from it.

I finally realized that the object moving up and down rapidly was the sparky car's front drivers side wheel and tire, and it was coming right at me. It bounced over my car and missed me by about 5 feet. It took me a few minutes to realize how dangerous the situation could have been.

About 25 years ago, I was hurrying through the Mission Bay area on I-5 toward downtown SD. It was a warm Summer day around 2 pm. Three vehicles were travelling side by side a little below the speed limit, and I was frustrated for quite some time not being able to get around them. On the left was a SUV, in the center a Chrysler convertible, on the right a semi truck.

By the time I was able to move around the vehicles, I looked over to see what kind of idiots were blocking so much traffic behind them. A look at the convertible revealed it... A 30ish brunette wearing nothing but sunglasses. She wasn't exactly Megan Fox, but she certainly wasn't Rosanne Barr either. True story.

SuperGabers
02-27-2013, 10:14 PM
No. No. No.

You must post a pic of what you saw.

chrisrenrut
02-27-2013, 10:26 PM
No. No. No.

You must post a pic of what you saw.

I was describing the picture I have in my head, but I didn't use the requisite 1000 words.

You're encouraging us to take picures while we drive? Sounds a little reckless:)

Rocker Ute
02-27-2013, 11:13 PM
I have no photo, but while at the U, when the golf course was still there I was driving down the road that went through the middle of it towards the Union Bldg. I had an old beater Honda Civic (still my favorite car I've owned of all time) and suddenly a golf ball ricochets off my hood. I hit the brakes and look around the golf course to see who shanked their drive so badly, only to see two guys in their late 70s - 80s running away. I hopped out of my car and yelled at them, "You better run punks!"

Still cracks me up to this day thinking of those old farts running with their golf bags.

SuperGabers
02-28-2013, 06:31 AM
I was describing the picture I have in my head, but I didn't use the requisite 1000 words.

You're encouraging us to take picures while we drive? Sounds a little reckless:)

Us UB5ers are more than capable of multitasking safely.

SuperGabers
02-28-2013, 06:37 AM
As an example:

On my last trip to Utah, I was excited to learn that they water their sidewalks to help them grow.

LA Ute
02-28-2013, 07:32 AM
As an example:

On my last trip to Utah, I was excited to learn that they water their sidewalks to help them grow.

That is irrigation. They invented it, you know.

FN Phat
02-28-2013, 07:56 AM
As an example:

I would be more concerned with the window neon sign....name and decal :eek:

Mormon Red Death
02-28-2013, 10:02 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/01/ere8avep.jpg

Even rich guys need big gulps

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Diehard Ute
02-28-2013, 10:05 AM
I see lots of things. I can't take pictures or talk about them online per policy :(

480ute
02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
I used to work for Wacker Construction Equipment. I had a company truck with that exact logo plastered all over it. This picture was most likely taken outside a construction equipment rental company.

SuperGabers
02-28-2013, 07:45 PM

Oh.Em.Gee!!! I never noticed that! Good eye FN! Snort!

Jarid in Cedar
03-04-2013, 11:34 PM

big z
03-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Saw a dude today on the 15 in Layton pounding a tall boy of Bud Light at 645AM.

Drunk tank
03-05-2013, 11:25 AM

That is known as "breakfast" around these parts.

IdahoUteTroutHead
03-05-2013, 11:38 AM

I want to eat breakfast with that guy.

macktruck32
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
I see lots of things. I can't take pictures or talk about them online per policy :(

Can we make FOIA requests for them? :p

Diehard Ute
03-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Can we make FOIA requests for them? :p

You can GRAMA request anything. What out lawyers do with it is up to them. However our reports are pretty dry reading lol

IdahoUteTroutHead
03-06-2013, 11:31 AM

At least spell the words correctly.

LA Ute
03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
At least spell the words correctly.

Hey, your moniker is misspelled. You can't capitalize in the middle of words that way.

IdahoUteTroutHead
03-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I have my moniker on the back of my car.

...but I do know how to spell "indivisible".

LA Ute
03-06-2013, 11:51 AM
I have my moniker on the back of my car.

...but I do know how to spell "indivisible".

Speling is kind of a subjective thing anyway.

IdahoUteTroutHead
03-06-2013, 11:53 AM
I like words that ewe can spell in different weighs.

Solon
06-02-2013, 09:55 AM
$5.09 / gallon near La Brea, CA.
The Ford in this photo just pulled out of this station, presumably after pumping some gas.:blink:

LA Ute
06-02-2013, 12:11 PM
$5.09 / gallon near La Brea, CA.
The Ford in this photo just pulled out of this station, presumably after pumping some gas.:blink:

Wow. Was that taken today? Premium is about $4.35 here in my neck of the woods.

GarthUte
06-02-2013, 01:22 PM
Took this one with a little Nikon Coolpix last night.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Garth7664/sunset_zps92138b1e.jpg

Solon
06-02-2013, 01:29 PM
Wow. Was that taken today? Premium is about $4.35 here in my neck of the woods.

Taken yesterday (June 1, 2013). The price is abnormally high for the neighborhood by about a dollar. I happened to have the camera in the front seat and was stopped at the light, so I snapped the photo. (was on my way to see the Helms Bakery Building on Venice Blvd - an important site in Olympic history).

Mormon Red Death
06-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I am pretty sure they don't let you leave like that.

Solon
06-04-2013, 10:39 PM
I am pretty sure they don't let you leave like that.

What's on his hands? The guy looks like Wolverine.

Solon
06-04-2013, 10:40 PM
An interesting name for a Meat Market, but El Padre Jesus seems to approve.

Mormon Red Death
06-05-2013, 05:57 AM
An interesting name for a Meat Market, but El Padre Jesus seems to approve.

I don't go there anymore. The meat is too dry.

FMCoug
06-05-2013, 01:57 PM
I don't go there anymore. The meat is too dry.

Back when they first opened for business it was great though.

Solon
06-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I've heard of Wordsmiths, Goldsmiths, and Blacksmiths, but this is my first encounter with a Sexsmith.
I have much to learn.

Solon
06-10-2013, 06:57 PM
I suspect that Canada is still figuring out Mexican food. Los Sombreros isn't the kind of joint that I would figure to have "famous Belgian Waffles."

Solon
06-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Push button for . . .606

Jarid in Cedar
06-13-2013, 04:58 PM
So what are you doing with the cannucks?

chrisrenrut
06-17-2013, 09:45 AM
I didn't get a picture, but on Saturday I saw a Prius towing a trailer. What would you guess they were towing? Why, two recumbant bicycles of course. Although I was not able to visually confirm, there is a 99% chance that one or both occupants of the Prius sported full beards.

LA Ute
06-17-2013, 10:18 AM
I didn't get a picture, but on Saturday I saw a Prius towing a trailer. What would you guess they were towing? Why, two recumbant bicycles of course. Although I was not able to visually confirm, there is a 99% chance that one or both occupants of the Prius sported full beards.

:worthless_without_p:worthless_without_p

Solon
06-17-2013, 10:25 AM
So what are you doing with the cannucks?

We just got back from a pretty sizable trip - My wife had a conference in LA, so I took the kiddies to Sea World & to the beach. Then we spent 3 days in the Ventura area to see friends/relatives. Then we flew LAX to Vancouver and drove to Whistler for a week. Then a couple of days in Vancouver, flight back to LAX, picked up the car at 11:00 on Saturday night and home on Sunday morning.

17 days total 8 in California, 9 in British Columbia.
Canada was pricey but fantastic.

I'm back in God's Jarid's Country now.

SuperGabers
07-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Smoking kills. 670

UBlender
07-28-2013, 08:33 PM
Smoking kills. 670

That's funny. Once upon a time when I was a knuckle-headed LDS missionary, my companion and I came upon a similarly dead squirrel in the gutter. It wasn't squashed, just stiff. With our feet we were able to slide a cigarette butt in between its frozen paws to get our own, similar "smoking kills" picture.

chrisrenrut
10-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Driving down Harrison blvd in Ogden this morning, we got behind this truck for a couple of miles. It looks like it is in the process of veering to the left lane, but he is, in fact, driving straight ahead. Must have a bent frame, and possible re-aligned his wheels to keep it drivable.

Freaky Girl
10-05-2013, 11:11 PM

Seen at the Farmer's Market this summer in Brentwood CA.

chrisrenrut
08-03-2014, 05:08 PM
We were driving home from a weekend camping trip today, and witnessed a head-on collision on Hwy 89 in east Layton happen right in front of us.

We were the 3rd car in the right lane at a stop light that had just turned green. About 100 yards through the intersection, I saw a white car in oncoming traffic cross the median and hit the car ahead of us to the left. They hit head on, but on each driver's side, so they both spun sideways. The car that was hit pivoted and the rear bumper hit the car directly in front of us. We were only up to about 30 MPH, so I was able to quickly swerve and stop to avoid any further collision.

The guy in the car that came from oncoming traffic was unhurt other than a sore chest from the airbag. He was in military fatigues, and apparently said he fell asleep. He was able to get himself out of his car through the passenger side.

The other car had 5 people, all visiting from Texas. There were three teens in the back seat. Two had facial cuts, and the other had a lot of back pain. The mom in the front passenger seat was limping, but otherwise seemed ok. The dad was pinned on the driver seat, and was hysterical. An off-duty fireman and paramedic were at the scene, and tried to get him calmed down and still.

The fire crew that arrived had to use the Jaws of Life to extricate him. He was in a lot of pain. His brother was on the scene (was in a different car), and thinks he may have broken his hip.

We filled out a witness statement. It was a surreal experience. As scary and shocking as it was, we realized it could have been much worse.

It seems there has been an unusual amount of head-on collisions in Utah this summer. Everyone be careful and aware out there.

LA Ute
08-03-2014, 05:44 PM
We were driving home from a weekend camping trip today, and witnessed a head-on collision on Hwy 89 in east Layton happen right in front of us.

We were the 3rd car in the right lane at a stop light that had just turned green. About 100 yards through the intersection, I saw a white car in oncoming traffic cross the median and hit the car ahead of us to the left. They hit head on, but on each driver's side, so they both spun sideways. The car that was hit pivoted and the rear bumper hit the car directly in front of us. We were only up to about 30 MPH, so I was able to quickly swerve and stop to avoid any further collision.

The guy in the car that came from oncoming traffic was unhurt other than a sore chest from the airbag. He was in military fatigues, and apparently said he fell asleep. He was able to get himself out of his car through the passenger side.

The other car had 5 people, all visiting from Texas. There were three teens in the back seat. Two had facial cuts, and the other had a lot of back pain. The mom in the front passenger seat was limping, but otherwise seemed ok. The dad was pinned on the driver seat, and was hysterical. An off-duty fireman and paramedic were at the scene, and tried to get him calmed down and still.

The fire crew that arrived had to use the Jaws of Life to extricate him. He was in a lot of pain. His brother was on the scene (was in a different car), and thinks he may have broken his hip.

We filled out a witness statement. It was a surreal experience. As scary and shocking as it was, we realized it could have been much worse.

It seems there has been an unusual amount of head-on collisions in Utah this summer. Everyone be careful and aware out there.

Wow. A great reminder. So glad you are all right and this wasn't worse.

Rocker Ute
08-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Did the Saints to Sinners bike relay again this year. We had my Yakima rack on my roof, I had three trays for bikes, borrowed a 4th from my buddy. He put his bike on his tray and we took off driving toward our first leg. At about Draper on I-15 we hear a thud and I see a bike sliding at 65 mph on the freeway. It was his bike that had come off the rack.

It was one of those 15lb carbon fiber rockets and I fully expected it to be in little shards of carbon fiber all over the freeway.

We pulled off, they ran back to get it, luckily it had slid off to the shoulder and it was about 6am. Nobody had ran it over.

So, basically the bike survived by some miracle with cosmetic damage and none of it to the frame.

We had it mounted backwards, we think he didn't lock down the fork properly and it popped off and landed on the shifters (the part with the most damage) bounced and landed on its side sliding on the pedal and brake hood on the left.

We loaded it back on, got to the next stop, straightened out his shifters and had a mechanic inspect it and found no problems.

Super lucky the bike survived, nobody hit it and a we didn't cause some major harm on the freeway.

Moral of the story, jiggle the bikes before you go, make sure you lock the locks on the fork, and if you are driving and liable, check your friend's work.

Super lucky.

Sullyute
10-11-2014, 08:33 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/11/janeqy8e.jpg

I didn't know you were in town.

LA Ute
10-11-2014, 10:50 AM
In shocked and enraged. That's not my car, but obviously some scoundrel has stolen my moniker.

Scratch
10-12-2014, 12:33 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/10/11/janeqy8e.jpg

I didn't know you were in town.

LOL @ LA driving something not made in Germany.

Sullyute
09-26-2016, 09:11 AM
Loud and proud.

U-Ute
09-26-2016, 09:30 AM
Two weeks ago I saw my very first "Trump" bumper sticker. In Lehi/Alpine.

DrumNFeather
09-26-2016, 09:32 AM
Two weeks ago I saw my very first "Trump" bumper sticker. In Lehi/Alpine.

We saw a "Vote for Trump, Piss off a Liberal" on the way to church the other day..."I bet that person is in our ward..." Sure enough.

Sullyute
05-08-2018, 07:51 AM
I assume he is a butcher.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180508/16fcb646c237e26f19c34f31d3fc121d.jpg

U-Ute
05-08-2018, 08:40 AM
There's an old rusty tractor in the front yard of a house right on Highway 6 in Santaquin. It has a full size Hamburgler on it.

I was driving so I couldn't get a pic. I plan on going back to get one.

Sullyute
06-26-2018, 11:08 AM
When you have a Prius, who needs a truck ( or a garbage can)?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180626/a2ce83e3ce198604657fa1a415410819.jpg

U-Ute
07-02-2018, 09:11 AM
I wasn't driving, but this guy was driving a Porche 919 Evo Hybrid.

He got around the Nuremburgring in 5:19.55, shattering the record of 6:11.13 that has stood since 1983.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/porsche-shatters-the-nurburgring-record-we-thought-was-unbreakable/

Even watching the video footage of this is terrifying. I don't know how this man walks, but it must be very uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmSUHhP3ug

Diehard Ute
07-02-2018, 10:25 AM
I wasn't driving, but this guy was driving a Porche 919 Evo Hybrid.

He got around the Nuremburgring in 5:19.55, shattering the record of 6:11.13 that has stood since 1983.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/porsche-shatters-the-nurburgring-record-we-thought-was-unbreakable/

Even watching the video footage of this is terrifying. I don't know how this man walks, but it must be very uncomfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQmSUHhP3ug

They basically built this car to do this.

It’s fast, but with no restrictions the sky is almost the limit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk