PDA

View Full Version : Conference 2019

arizonaute
04-06-2019, 10:57 AM
I was excited to hear Russell announce something at 9am today. I just want to put these conference rumors to bed.

What is going to change this time ?

chrisrenrut
04-06-2019, 04:15 PM
I was excited to hear Russell announce something at 9am today. I just want to put these conference rumors to bed.

What is going to change this time ?

Doesn’t it seem like they have been announcing the big changes either in Priesthood or Sunday morning session lately?

UBlender
04-06-2019, 09:22 PM
Doesn’t it seem like they have been announcing the big changes either in Priesthood or Sunday morning session lately?

The announcement of the two hour block came right out of the gate on Saturday morning. I remember listening on my phone and then discussing it with other parents at my son's soccer game.

arizonaute
04-07-2019, 02:04 PM
i enjoyed RMN talks last night and today. He seems to be ratcheting up"hurry and get ready" idea .

arizonaute
04-07-2019, 05:04 PM
enjoyed RMN telling people not to make noise at temple annoucements. Good for the eight places getting temples.

arizonaute
04-07-2019, 10:46 PM
i was still going to avoid coffee and tea but i had hopes for John Stockon like garments. Oh well.

UTEopia
04-07-2019, 11:01 PM
A couple things struck me about conference. First, very few mentions of Joseph Smith. I'll wager the fewest in conference history. Personally, I like the focus on Jesus Christ. Second, I know this has been going on for quite a while, but it seems to me that speakers mostly quote leaders who are still living. I remember a time when that was almost never done. You had to be dead to be quoted.

Rocker Ute
04-08-2019, 12:32 PM
I find it hard to believe that they will wait until next conference to announce what the new youth program will look like, particularly with the letter they sent out recently regarding the ramping down of the BSA program. Particularly because we were told that this would affect all youth 8 and up and would replace things like Personal Progress, Duty to God, Activity Days along with the scout activities. I expect that info will likely start coming out in the next few months if not immediately. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised, because in our December stake conference the visiting GA told us to expect info in March.

I wonder if they've dialed down the announcements because they were becoming a bit of a distraction from the other talks etc?

sancho
04-08-2019, 12:48 PM
Particularly because we were told that this would affect all youth 8 and up and would replace things like Personal Progress, Duty to God, Activity Days along with the scout activities. I expect that info will likely start coming out in the next few months if not immediately. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised, because in our December stake conference the visiting GA told us to expect info in March.

I guess it depends on what the new program is. I am expecting something like the current activity days, where local leaders pick appropriate (weekly?) activities. If that accurately describes the heart of the program, they could announce it in November and be fine. How much more time we all need depends on how complex this new thing is.

sancho
10-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Are there no conference rumors this time around, or am I just not in the loop? I think this is where I got all my rumors in the past.

I'm hoping that cell phones or at least social media are added to the word of wisdom as banned substances. I know it's popular in the LDS Church to say "technology can be used for good and evil", but there's no good for teenage girls when it comes to social media. It's all bad.

Rocker Ute
10-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Are there no conference rumors this time around, or am I just not in the loop? I think this is where I got all my rumors in the past.

I'm hoping that cell phones or at least social media are added to the word of wisdom as banned substances. I know it's popular in the LDS Church to say "technology can be used for good and evil", but there's no good for teenage girls when it comes to social media. It's all bad.

I'm surprised at how many of the kids in my ward have dropped social media completely. They text - thats about it. Mostly the kids who took Pres. Nelson's challenge on that one week fast from social media - they realized how toxic it was...

Scorcho
10-03-2019, 11:05 AM

Not a rumor, but I miss the Saturday Evening Fall Priesthood session. I always looked forward to those meetings, it was a good opportunity to hang out with my old man and refocus myself on big picture stuff. Admittedly, I'm always in favor of less meetings, but that's one I miss.

mUUser
10-03-2019, 03:31 PM
I like the idea of native speaking missions to 18 months for all. Many different rumors regarding missions have been floated for years, but, that's one (plus "service" missions) I hope is implemented.

USS Utah
10-05-2019, 12:16 PM

Less WiFi, more Nephi.

USS Utah
10-05-2019, 01:09 PM
“As in our New Testament story, those blessed with sight will recognize that, in spite of everything else this conference tradition may offer us, it will mean little or nothing unless we find Jesus at the center of it all,” Elder Holland said. “To grasp the vision we are seeking, the healing that He promises, the significance we somehow know is here, we must cut through the commotion — as joyful as it is — and fix our attention on Him.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-05/general-conference-october-2019-elder-jeffrey-holand-recap-162842?fbclid=IwAR2rgt6JNKWO9JEg9DsXwNoNoafOeerICA 8JVcQ0VmAN4112dQQX7vE6-rc

--

Remember that doctrine is taught by all 15 members of the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve, counseled President Dalin H. Oaks. Doctrine can also come from prophetic teachings of the president of the Church reaffirmed by other prophets and apostles. For all questions with answers that have not been yet revealed, trust in God and His love for His children. He “will surely do what is best for each of us.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-10-05/general-conference-october-2019-lds-mormon-president-oaks-162560?fbclid=IwAR1U5E3tdQQLvl_5kLLznZY9frih4SAORt HbzcVrsAMj061vqG-3QxQvrwk

LA Ute
10-06-2019, 01:37 PM
“The gospel is not about doing things perfectly; it is about doing them intentionally.” — Elder Uchtdorf

LA Ute
10-06-2019, 03:44 PM
Pres. Nelson raising the bar for temple recommends — not a lot, it seems to me, but adding specificity.

LA Ute
10-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Oddly enough, I hadn’t focused on 2020 as the 200th anniversary of the First Vision. My wife and daughter are in Palmyra right now, and visited to the Sacred Grove last night. I’m excited to see what will happen in General Conference next April.

UTEopia
10-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Oddly enough, I hadn’t focused on 2020 as the 200th anniversary of the First Vision. My wife and daughter are in Palmyra right now, and visited to the Sacred Grove last night. I’m excited to see what will happen in General Conference next April.

We were there a couple of weeks ago. We were the only people there and it was really a nice experience. I'm sure it would be different if there were a lot of people around. I did feel sorry for the missionaries. They can't have much to do this time of year.

LA Ute
10-06-2019, 08:11 PM
Revised temple recommend questions:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/october-2019-general-conference-temple-recommend

Scorcho
10-07-2019, 09:49 AM
Revised temple recommend questions:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/article/october-2019-general-conference-temple-recommend

good changes IMO.

looks like they got rid of the "are you affiliated with, or do you have any sympathies for polygamist groups" question?

Rocker Ute
10-07-2019, 11:58 AM
good changes IMO.

looks like they got rid of the "are you affiliated with, or do you have any sympathies for polygamist groups" question?

That question for a while has been, "Do you support, affiliate or associate with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to those taught by the church..." Not specific to polygamists.

They also changed the 'do you attend your sacrament and priesthood meetings...' and also, 'are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen' - modified to not be gender specific.

Scratch
10-07-2019, 12:41 PM
That question for a while has been, "Do you support, affiliate or associate with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to those taught by the church..." Not specific to polygamists.

Right, they expanded the language so it would include the Crimson Club.

LA Ute
10-07-2019, 02:04 PM
Right, they expanded the language so it would include the Crimson Club.

And the Democratic Party.

UTEopia
10-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

If a person supports same sex marriage, choice pertaining to pregnancy or medical and/or recreational marijuana, does that disqualify that person from a recommend?

chrisrenrut
10-07-2019, 04:00 PM
Do you support or promote any teachings, practices, or doctrine contrary to those of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

If a person supports same sex marriage, choice pertaining to pregnancy or medical and/or recreational marijuana, does that disqualify that person from a recommend?

I guess it comes down to how each individual interprets "support or promote".

mUUser
10-07-2019, 05:06 PM

I remember a number of years ago, when I was up to my neck in weekend activities, my bishop denied a TR under the "attending Sacrament" question -- even though I never missed when in town -- and when he asked the last question (consider yourself worthy) I answered "yes" . About a month later he said he had reconsidered and asked me to interview again, wherein he issued a TR.

My point is to answer the questions honestly, and let those that have stewardship make the call. If one of those issues bugs you, bring it up, state your concern, and they'll make the call.

Rocker Ute
10-08-2019, 11:44 AM

A while back on this question (or the old form of it) I asked a similar question to yours and his response was, "I think it is more like are you outside protesting the church on these issues or do you run a website that opposes the church or something." I said, "Just Utefans.net" (he is a Utah fan and was familiar with it and its previous state). He paused for a second and then gave me a recommend anyway. Now THAT is a common judge.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-08-2019, 01:04 PM
I remember a number of years ago, when I was up to my neck in weekend activities, my bishop denied a TR under the "attending Sacrament" question -- even though I never missed when in town -- and when he asked the last question (consider yourself worthy) I answered "yes" . About a month later he said he had reconsidered and asked me to interview again, wherein he issued a TR.

My point is to answer the questions honestly, and let those that have stewardship make the call. If one of those issues bugs you, bring it up, state your concern, and they'll make the call.

This is going to be my approach. I'm pretty out spoken when it comes to supporting my LGBTQ friends and family. We have a brand new bishop who I've had a good relationship with for many years. He's a pretty easy going guy, but his Father-In-Law was our stake president several years ago before getting called to be a mission president and he seemed to be pretty letter of the law, so it will be interesting to see if any of those things were learned.

Rocker Ute
10-08-2019, 01:47 PM
I'll just add one thing on this TR question discussion - I've always considered the questions to be more an opportunity for self-reflection versus a true screening process (because if you really want you can just lie you head off - and of course people do, and others screen themselves out when they probably shouldn't). Second, why do you want to go to the temple or hold a recommend? Is it social pressure or do you want to go worship?

Certainly you can seek correction, clarification and council, but the questions are for yourself. If you feel like you are getting into a grey area, it might be a good chance to talk to someone. If you can honestly say you feel good about your actions and have presented that to God and feel at peace then you are probably okay. The questions are more common sense than sometimes we give them credit to be. If those questions raise anxiety or anger or other negative feelings, you may not be in good standing with that particular question.

My 2 cents...

Scorcho
10-08-2019, 01:59 PM
I think I've mentioned this before, but my MIL joined the church later in life and couldn't give up coffee. She worked in the temple for years because she had a great bishop who looked past that minor insignificant detail and gave her a recommend anyway. I witnessed how beneficial that was to her and those around her. I don't know how flexible bishops and sp's can be, but I hope they're granted a little sway when needed.

LA Ute
10-08-2019, 06:02 PM
I once did those interviews often. I really enjoyed the experience. I’d occasionally joke with people. When we got to that question about supporting opposing groups, if the interviewee was a devout Democrat and I knew the person well, I would ask, “Like belonging to the Republican party?” I would ask the opposite question with a Republican. Everyone always laughed.

UTEopia
10-08-2019, 07:27 PM
I'll just add one thing on this TR question discussion - I've always considered the questions to be more an opportunity for self-reflection versus a true screening process (because if you really want you can just lie you head off - and of course people do, and others screen themselves out when they probably shouldn't). Second, why do you want to go to the temple or hold a recommend? Is it social pressure or do you want to go worship?

Certainly you can seek correction, clarification and council, but the questions are for yourself. If you feel like you are getting into a grey area, it might be a good chance to talk to someone. If you can honestly say you feel good about your actions and have presented that to God and feel at peace then you are probably okay. The questions are more common sense than sometimes we give them credit to be. If those questions raise anxiety or anger or other negative feelings, you may not be in good standing with that particular question.

My 2 cents...

I agree that the questions are more for introspection into my own thoughts, beliefs and actions. Personally, I would not seek a Temple recommend if I felt like I was not prepared to go to the Temple.

chrisrenrut
10-08-2019, 08:28 PM
I agree that the questions are more for introspection into my own thoughts, beliefs and actions. Personally, I would not seek a Temple recommend if I felt like I was not prepared to go to the Temple.

they could probably narrow down the interview to the final question for most folks.

I have always thought a revamp of the questions should focus less on outward commandments like tithing and the word of wisdom, and more on the two great commandments. They would be more about the person’s efforts to demonstrates their love of God and man. A simple question of “do you strive to keep the commandments and follow the council in scripture and from the prophet” could cover about half of the questions, and cover the love of God (If you love me, keep My commandments). Then others could include things like Have you used your time, talents, and a resources to help others in need? The honesty question would still apply. Do you strive to be kind and compassionate to others? Do you avoid gossip, backbiting, and speaking angrily or belittling others?

LA Ute
10-10-2019, 08:30 AM
they could probably narrow down the interview to the final question for most folks.

I have always thought a revamp of the questions should focus less on outward commandments like tithing and the word of wisdom, and more on the two great commandments. They would be more about the person’s efforts to demonstrates their love of God and man. A simple question of “do you strive to keep the commandments and follow the council in scripture and from the prophet” could cover about half of the questions, and cover the love of God (If you love me, keep My commandments). Then others could include things like Have you used your time, talents, and a resources to help others in need? The honesty question would still apply. Do you strive to be kind and compassionate to others? Do you avoid gossip, backbiting, and speaking angrily or belittling others?

A good friend of ours was once a stake presidency member, and by the time the interviews got to him he would simply ask, “Have any of your answers changed since your interview with the bishopric?” Then he would proceed to have a short general chat with the person, catch up on their lives, ask how things were going, and then cheerfully move on.

UTEopia
10-10-2019, 10:54 AM
I have spent some time thinking about this over the past few days and I have a couple of questions about LDS teachings and policies:

1. What is the current teaching and policy on same-sex marriage? My sense is that the policy is now neutral when it comes to the general population. The Church doesn't promote it and it does not promote actions to prohibit it.

2. What is the current teaching and policy on discrimination against LGBTQ in employment and housing? My sense is that the policy and teachings are against such discrimination. If that is correct, if I support allowing discrimination against LGBTQ in employment and housing can I answer that question affirmatively and still receive a recommend?

3. What is the current teaching and policy on businesses (like the Baker in Colorado) refusing service to LGBTQ? I haven't really heard anything from Church leaders on this subject. The Beehive House allows wedding ceremonies and does not require that the bride or groom be LDS, but I would imagine they would refuse to allow a same-sex wedding. It would be interesting in not a very pleasant way to watch that play out.

4. I know what the Church policy is on choice when it comes to fetuses created through rape and incest and situations where the health of the mother or viability of the fetus are concerned. I imagine if you chose to have an abortion outside of those areas, there would be some ramifications for you as a member of the Church. However, I don't hear much said about choice beyond that. Unlike Prop 8, Church leaders have never encouraged me to donate money to pro-life groups or to hold signs on the street opposing choice.

If anyone has some clarity on these issues I would be interested in hearing them.

sancho
10-10-2019, 11:26 AM
I have spent some time thinking about this over the past few days and I have a couple of questions about LDS teachings and policies:

1. What is the current teaching and policy on same-sex marriage? My sense is that the policy is now neutral when it comes to the general population. The Church doesn't promote it and it does not promote actions to prohibit it.

2. What is the current teaching and policy on discrimination against LGBTQ in employment and housing? My sense is that the policy and teachings are against such discrimination. If that is correct, if I support allowing discrimination against LGBTQ in employment and housing can I answer that question affirmatively and still receive a recommend?

3. What is the current teaching and policy on businesses (like the Baker in Colorado) refusing service to LGBTQ? I haven't really heard anything from Church leaders on this subject. The Beehive House allows wedding ceremonies and does not require that the bride or groom be LDS, but I would imagine they would refuse to allow a same-sex wedding. It would be interesting in not a very pleasant way to watch that play out.

4. I know what the Church policy is on choice when it comes to fetuses created through rape and incest and situations where the health of the mother or viability of the fetus are concerned. I imagine if you chose to have an abortion outside of those areas, there would be some ramifications for you as a member of the Church. However, I don't hear much said about choice beyond that. Unlike Prop 8, Church leaders have never encouraged me to donate money to pro-life groups or to hold signs on the street opposing choice.

If anyone has some clarity on these issues I would be interested in hearing them.

I don't have any clarity other than to suggest that there is really no connection between these political issues and a temple recommend interview. The interview question you are referring to is not about political opinions; it's about apostasy. If you are actively campaigning against the Church due to your opinions on these issues, you could reasonably be denied a recommend. Otherwise, no one cares. In my mind, that is the clear intent of this question.

I do think you summarized the unofficial position of the Church accurately on all four questions.

On #3, I also haven't heard anything directly, but Church leaders have been vocal about maintaining religious freedom. I suspect the Beehive House would refuse to allow a same-sex wedding.
On #4, the Church's stance on abortion seems fairly clear. I don't think any other political issue has ever been like Prop 8 in terms of asking for donations or for activism. I hope it never happens like that again.

Rocker Ute
10-10-2019, 01:54 PM

I think it all hinges on how you define the word 'support' in the question and I think the context of the new wording it makes it clear. "Do you support or promote any teachings, practices or doctrines contrary..." I would say that agree with or even sympathize with ≠ support and in coupling that with the word 'promote' would indicate an active opposition to church teachings. I think there has been plenty of lessons and talks that emphasize that members are free to think and believe as they chose and to work those things out through personal revelation.

Regarding some of the questions above, particularly #1 and #2 Elder Oaks gave a talk in the Women's conference on that subject that might answer some of your questions regarding current church position. I think that talk may have also upset not a few people although I think the intent was the opposite. But I also believe Pres Oaks is has replaced Pres Packer on the 'Do Not Like' list regarding many people tied to these issues. I would then offer the chaser of Pres Nelson's following talk after that for some proper reference and re-centering. I'll also add that the LDS church helped craft and vocally supported SLC's policy on discrimination on LGBTQ a few years back, so I think they would oppose discrimination of LGBTQ people.

UTEopia
10-10-2019, 02:21 PM
I appreciate your thoughtful responses. My thoughts are similar to those expressed. However, the change of questions has been suggested by some to be a "raising of the bar." Personally, I think they were designed to help us examine our lives and identify areas in which we can possibly become better. I have a bunch of those, primarily involving not being unnecessarily joyous when BYU or the Dodgers lose.

Dwight Schr-Ute
10-10-2019, 03:20 PM
I think it all hinges on how you define the word 'support' in the question and I think the context of the new wording it makes it clear. "Do you support or promote any teachings, practices or doctrines contrary..." I would say that agree with or even sympathize with ≠ support and in coupling that with the word 'promote' would indicate an active opposition to church teachings. I think there has been plenty of lessons and talks that emphasize that members are free to think and believe as they chose and to work those things out through personal revelation.

Regarding some of the questions above, particularly #1 and #2 Elder Oaks gave a talk in the Women's conference on that subject that might answer some of your questions regarding current church position. I think that talk may have also upset not a few people although I think the intent was the opposite. But I also believe Pres Oaks is has replaced Pres Packer on the 'Do Not Like' list regarding many people tied to these issues. I would then offer the chaser of Pres Nelson's following talk after that for some proper reference and re-centering. I'll also add that the LDS church helped craft and vocally supported SLC's policy on discrimination on LGBTQ a few years back, so I think they would oppose discrimination of LGBTQ people.

I had a Stake President talk in Stake Conference several years ago, (if I remember correctly) shortly after the Supreme Court ruling. He proudly discussed that he had taken a look at a bunch of the Youth's social media pages and was disappointed by the amount of content that he had seen supporting same sex marriage and their reluctance to stand up for gospel principles. That comment has obviously stuck with me for some time.

Rocker Ute
10-10-2019, 03:33 PM
I appreciate your thoughtful responses. My thoughts are similar to those expressed. However, the change of questions has been suggested by some to be a "raising of the bar." Personally, I think they were designed to help us examine our lives and identify areas in which we can possibly become better. I have a bunch of those, primarily involving not being unnecessarily joyous when BYU or the Dodgers lose.

I think a lot of the recent changes have been a 'raising of the bar' but most of that has come in the form of personal responsibility and living a more Christlike life. Long before HT/VT was replaced by ministering I called it the Law of Moses for the commandment to Love Thy Neighbor. You can't love your neighbor, well we are going to assign you to do so.

One raising of the bar in the TR questions expands on living the law of chastity by asking if you strive for moral cleanliness in your thoughts and behavior. An addition is asking if you are striving to keeping the Sabbath day holy and to taking the sacrament. Others I think are clarifying. The 'support and promote' question clarifies it isn't the 'anyone' but the active thing you are doing.

Others are subtle changes that I think provoke some thought if you catch them. For example, it used to be, "Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and his role as Savior and Redeemer." Now it is, "Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and his role as your Savior and Redeemer." Another is the question used to be, "Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as prophet, seer and revelator and the only person on earth authorized to exercise priesthood keys." It now says "Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints as the prophet, seer and revelator..." (emphasis mine). They also added, "Do you understand and obey the Word of Wisdom?"

One other thing - the new language says to wear the garments under the outer layer of clothing. I know many of us were taught to wear it next to the skin - this is more relevant to women than men.