PDA

View Full Version : Parker Van Dyke and Brandon Miller

UtahsMrSports
02-26-2013, 10:36 AM
I don't know how many of you follow Tony Jones from the Trib closely. In my opinion, he is the best beat-writer the Utes have had. Love reading his thoughts and insights.

Anyway, he is up at Weber covering the High School playoffs this week.

This morning, Parker Van Dyke's East Leopards played Murray this morning and Tony has just been heaping praise on Van Dyke.

I put a lot of stock in what Tony says because (unlike most of the media around here) he doesn't have a dog in this fight. He tells you what he sees. He said that Van Dyke has made great strides and is now a great point guard. Also, he has a lightning quick, high release that he can get off at any time. Loves his ability to stop on a dime and hit the jumper from deep and midrange. Also said he's a legit 6'3 and has very long arms and is explosive.

Tony even told me that he thinks Van Dyke will probably compete with BT for the PG minutes next year (which kind of leaves Dean out in the cold). I know he's a mission kid after that, but its still exciting!

I asked him about Miller (who played last night) and he said Miller is a "great shooter" with a "college body" but has "farther to go than Van Dyke".

Either way, it looks like we have a couple of solid pieces coming up to the U. in the next few years! Good for Larry and Co. in getting these guys!

UtahsMrSports
02-26-2013, 10:38 AM
Another note that just came across:

Murray got to within 57-56 and PVD went on a 6-0 run with 2 minutes left to put his team back in control. Big time player!

Rocker Ute
02-26-2013, 10:49 AM
I believe it was two utes who was heaping praise on PVD a year ago. We'll see if this bears out, but I know some people who follow HS sports closely who would pick PVD over the Lone Peak crew going to BYU. I'd take both, but that is just me.

I have to admit though, who is Kodiak going to bring in to turn this around. Who is the blue chip or blue chip in the rough coming in that we need to get into the tourney. I'm nervous because I don't know that we have that guy, or those guys.

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-26-2013, 10:50 AM
I really want to win some bball games.

Rocker Ute
02-26-2013, 10:52 AM
I really want to win some bball games.

You have a lot of demands. I have to admit, I like leaving to drive up to JMHC 15 minutes before the game and taking my pick of seats. I'd hate to see that go away.

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I would like some monkeys that dance too...oh and a a that walks around the top of the seating of the JMHC with a top hat and a cane.

Applejack
02-26-2013, 02:10 PM
I am not excited about Brandon Miller. Sorry, just being honest. I have also been down on VD, but a number of people have been saying lately that he looks legit, so I will take a wait and see with him.

Brekkott Chapman is out only realistic "star" recruit this year. i don't think we'll get him, but we have shot.

UBlender
02-26-2013, 02:17 PM
Brekkott Chapman is out only realistic "star" recruit this year. i don't think we'll get him, but we have shot.

Forgive the quibble, but Chapman isn't really "this year" as he is currently a junior and will be in the class of 2014. But perhaps you knew that and were referring to the fact that he is likely to commit and sign during the early signing period (November 2013) during this calendar year.

Applejack
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Sorry, by year, I meant the current class we are working on - once they sign, I move on to the next class.

Senioritis
02-26-2013, 09:48 PM
I went up and saw some of the games at the Palacio de Morado esta afternoono.

First time I've seen PVD. He's a pretty BFD. I was impressed with his explosiveness on offense. He didn't shoot well, but even on an off day he doesn't miss by much. He's got a surprisingly tenacious cross-over for a descendant of Scandanavian pioneers. In general, his ball handling and floor game was a lot better than I expected. Doesn't have tremendous quickness on D, which is something totally not necessarily crucial when guarding the scrubs from Murray. He really elevates on his jump shot, and he's got a high release that seems plenty quick. I think he can be a scorer for the Mighty Utes, but probably not until after he's spent two years selling religion door to door.

All in all, he's the best thing to happen to Van Dykes since George A. Custer. Or perhaps Johnny Depp.

Also saw Dalton Nixon. Nice stroke. Duck feet. A little lurpy. Price Is Right Sad Trombone.

And also Brekkott Chapman. I think he was sick. I mean that seriously. I think he barfed in a garbage can behind the bench. And I think Brandon Gurney confiscated the can soon afterwards, souvenir hunting. Chapman was 5 of 14 from the free throw line and he got pushed around by a couple of plucky goobers from Springville that are about 6'3". If he was ill, I'll give him a pass and congratulate him on battling through it.

If he wasn't ill, double Price Is Right Sad Trombone for Brekkott Chapman today.

P.S. Based on the pronunciation of the plucky PA announcer who seems to be auditioning for next year's tournament while on the job, Chapman's first name is not pronounced BRECKit, like rhyming with WRECKit Ralph. Instead it's breKOTT, like you would say the name of a fruit if you said the word Ape before it. ApeBrekkott.

Senioritis
02-26-2013, 10:01 PM
And now I see the Tribune has a bit up from Tony Jones about Chapman, and how he "dominated" on defense, and had 16, 11, and 7 blocks. But who are you going to trust - the guy that gets paid to watch, analyze, and write about basketball, or the jolly, rotund fellow posting stuff out of his backside on a brand new message board devoted to Utah sports?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/55908836-59/chapman-likes-utah-college.html.csp

I was underwhelmed by Apricot today. Maybe I was expecting too much.

SeattleUte
02-26-2013, 11:09 PM
And now I see the Tribune has a bit up from Tony Jones about Chapman, and how he "dominated" on defense, and had 16, 11, and 7 blocks. But who are you going to trust - the guy that gets paid to watch, analyze, and write about basketball, or the jolly, rotund fellow posting stuff out of his backside on a brand new message board devoted to Utah sports?

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogsutahsports/55908836-59/chapman-likes-utah-college.html.csp

I was underwhelmed by Apricot today. Maybe I was expecting too much.

It depends on who he signs with.

SeattleUte
02-26-2013, 11:09 PM
and now i see the tribune has a bit up from tony jones about chapman, and how he "dominated" on defense, and had 16, 11, and 7 blocks. But who are you going to trust - the guy that gets paid to watch, analyze, and write about basketball, or the jolly, rotund fellow posting stuff out of his backside on a brand new message board devoted to utah sports?

i was underwhelmed by apricot today. Maybe i was expecting too much.

five stars

Rocker Ute
02-27-2013, 09:32 AM
The article has the wise-beyond-his-years Chapman understanding that you don't get better by playing bad competition....then a paragraph later has the star-struck-kid considering Gonzaga's limelight. Don't fall for the Gonzaga trick! 20-0 in conference must be fun in a way, but it won't do anything for your game!

I've heard many say Gonzaga is a final four team, how much do you want to bet they don't make it past the sweet 16? I'll even handicap it for you and let Giac use his notecards during the game.

Rocker Ute
02-27-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm not saying Gonzaga isn't a great team, but I've heard lofty expectations for them in the past that have gone unmet.

Most importantly, any team in the top 10 right now has better deep tourney run experience.

They would likely be atop the PAC12 but with a few more losses under their belt.

Uhg... Crappy Utah Basketball has me both trashing and having envy for a WCC school.

San Diego Ute Fan
02-27-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm not saying Gonzaga isn't a great team, but I've heard lofty expectations for them in the past that have gone unmet.

Most importantly, any team in the top 10 right now has better deep tourney run experience.

They would likely be atop the PAC12 but with a few more losses under their belt.

Uhg... Crappy Utah Basketball has me both trashing and having envy for a WCC school.

Rocker, you change your avatar more often than I change my socks. Are you having identity issues?

Rocker Ute
02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Rocker, you change your avatar more often than I change my socks. Are you having identity issues?

Maybe it is because none of these wink. It is hard to cope, everyone here thinks I'm serious.

San Diego Ute Fan
02-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Wait, what? You're not a serious member? Who can I trust?

SoCalPat
02-28-2013, 05:23 PM
The article has the wise-beyond-his-years Chapman understanding that you don't get better by playing bad competition....then a paragraph later has the star-struck-kid considering Gonzaga's limelight. Don't fall for the Gonzaga trick! 20-0 in conference must be fun in a way, but it won't do anything for your game!

Gonzaga is 5-0 vs. the Big 12. Three of those teams will make the tournament, another will make the NIT. The Zags' non-con is always first-rate, and they're 10-2 vs. the RPI top 100, 5-2 vs. the top 50. The WCC is a second-tier league, but no one can ever accuse Gonzaga of not looking for chances to play top competition.

SoCalPat
02-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Utah's SOS is 66th

Gonzaga's is 68th

You're really not making a good argument for Utah here.

SeattleUte
02-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Utah's SOS is 66th

Gonzaga's is 68th

You're really not making a good argument for Utah here.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gonzaga lost tonight, and I'm in the Dave Rose is the new Bronco Mendenhall camp.

You know as well as I do Gonzaga would have 3-4 losses in the Pac 12 this season. It had to beat Wasu on a buzzer beater, at Wasu but the schools are 30 miles apart.

SoCalPat
02-28-2013, 05:45 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gonzaga lost tonight, and I'm in the Dave Rose is the new Bronco Mendenhall camp.

You know as well as I do Gonzaga would have 3-4 losses in the Pac 12 this season. It had to beat Wasu on a buzzer beater, at Wasu but the schools are 30 miles apart.

If that's all the losses they had, they'd be leading the Pac-12 right now.

SeattleUte
02-28-2013, 05:49 PM
If that's all the losses they had, they'd be leading the Pac-12 right now.

Clearly Gonzaga is a good team. It's not a not a top 5 team. It's just not.

SoCalPat
02-28-2013, 09:57 PM
With 340 teams in Division I, the difference between Utah and Gonzaga's SOS per Sagarin is negligible.

SoCalPat
02-28-2013, 10:20 PM
I think we might have a different view of the word negligible. If there are 30 teams between Utah and Gonzaga, that's 10% of all teams. I suspect people on the committee might not love a SOS in the 90s either. There will be a real (and valid) debate with Gonzaga and the #1 seed.

But again, it's not just the SOS - it also matters when you play these games.

There are 25 teams between Utah and Gonzaga. There are 340 teams in Division I. That's 7 percent of all teams. It's like arguing between a college football team whose SOS is 30th vs. 40th. In other words, BFD.

And since when did this become an argument about NCAA seeding? Those were none of your points in your original post in this thread about Gonzaga.

Utegasm
03-28-2013, 10:21 AM
I need more Senioritis. He chases my blues away. Funny stuff.

Two Utes
03-28-2013, 10:36 AM
I am not excited about Brandon Miller. Sorry, just being honest. I have also been down on VD, but a number of people have been saying lately that he looks legit, so I will take a wait and see with him.

I saw Chapman play up close. He is a very poor man's Lamar Odom. Likes to shoot the 3, is very long and a lefty. Considering I had heard that UCLA had already offered, I was little disappointed in his game. I'm not saying he couldn't be good, but he is real thin, got pushed around a little bit and didn't rebound well.

He can really shoot it and he gets his release off very high.

Two Utes
03-28-2013, 10:40 AM
I went up and saw some of the games at the Palacio de Morado esta afternoono.

First time I've seen PVD. He's a pretty BFD. I was impressed with his explosiveness on offense. He didn't shoot well, but even on an off day he doesn't miss by much. He's got a surprisingly tenacious cross-over for a descendant of Scandanavian pioneers. In general, his ball handling and floor game was a lot better than I expected. Doesn't have tremendous quickness on D, which is something totally not necessarily crucial when guarding the scrubs from Murray. He really elevates on his jump shot, and he's got a high release that seems plenty quick. I think he can be a scorer for the Mighty Utes, but probably not until after he's spent two years selling religion door to door.

All in all, he's the best thing to happen to Van Dykes since George A. Custer. Or perhaps Johnny Depp.

Also saw Dalton Nixon. Nice stroke. Duck feet. A little lurpy. Price Is Right Sad Trombone.

And also Brekkott Chapman. I think he was sick. I mean that seriously. I think he barfed in a garbage can behind the bench. And I think Brandon Gurney confiscated the can soon afterwards, souvenir hunting. Chapman was 5 of 14 from the free throw line and he got pushed around by a couple of plucky goobers from Springville that are about 6'3". If he was ill, I'll give him a pass and congratulate him on battling through it.

If he wasn't ill, double Price Is Right Sad Trombone for Brekkott Chapman today.

P.S. Based on the pronunciation of the plucky PA announcer who seems to be auditioning for next year's tournament while on the job, Chapman's first name is not pronounced BRECKit, like rhyming with WRECKit Ralph. Instead it's breKOTT, like you would say the name of a fruit if you said the word Ape before it. ApeBrekkott.

Just read this. Excellent analysis of all three. Except that I think PVD can play for us next year and score some points (Look at what Loveridge did this year straight out of high school).

#1 Utefan
04-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Someday, Gonzaga will make a final four. It's just the law of numbers. They get in every year with a good seed, eventually they will manage not to choke and put a little run together. Maybe this is the year.

I wouldn't bet on it. They flamed out in the 2nd round with a #1 seed. Sure Wichita St. is looking pretty good right now but lets be honest, Gonzaga plays in a bad conference and Few's teams don't play much defense. Both these factors don't bode well heading into the NCAA tourney where the battle hardened teams that play hard, physical D tend to advance. It is the same reason BYU never gets out of the 1st round (save Jimmer's senior season). Rose loves to run and gun and let his guards chuck up 3's but come tourney time, the fact they don't want to play defense comes backs and bites them.

Gonzaga is not going to get the benefit of the doubt in the future for #1 or #2 seeds. They almost lost to Southern in the 1st round and Wichita St. had the lead in their game save for a brief run the Zags made in the 2nd half. I hope Chapman considers all this and that the WCC is not the place for a high profile recruit that wants to tested and go up against the top tier competion every week.