02-27-2013, 06:42 AM
Here is Aaron Paul (http://imgur.com/gallery/RISjQ) on the Price is right

1200 bitch!!

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Is he on meth?

scottie
04-09-2013, 09:18 PM
AMC Considers Saul Goodman Breaking Bad Spin-Off (http://www.imdb.com/news/ni50927858/)

OrangeUte
04-16-2013, 08:53 AM
AMC Considers Saul Goodman Breaking Bad Spin-Off (http://www.imdb.com/news/ni50927858/)

i would absolutely watch this. but, the requirement i have is that vince gilligan writes it. if he sells the character to someone else, i am not interested.

OrangeUte
08-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Sunday night the end of the series begins. I can't wait. So much to wrap up and I trust Gilligan to do it with style and depth and to my satisfaction.

Anyone else gearing up to watch?

Sullyute
08-10-2013, 12:58 AM
I just started watching the 5th season on netflix and cannot participate in this thread until I am caught up on all the episodes. I have to say that I loved watching Gus take out the cartel in the last season and was actually sad to see him die.

LA Ute
08-11-2013, 03:55 PM
I have never watched the series until today when I happened to be stuck at my son's apartment out of town and tuned in for 15-20 minutes while channel-surfing. Just my luck, I caught the episode when they murdered the little boy and dissolved both his body and his dirt bike in acid. Those of you who know me know I'm no Victorian about entertainment, but I think I am done now with "Breaking Bad." Good grief.

Mormon Red Death
08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
I have never watched the series until today when I happened to be stuck at my son's apartment out of town and tuned in for 15-20 minutes while channel-surfing. Just my luck, I caught the episode when they murdered the little boy and dissolved both his body and his dirt bike in acid. Those of you who know me know I'm no Victorian about entertainment, but I think I am done now with "Breaking Bad." Good grief.

Not the this argument again

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
08-11-2013, 04:15 PM
Not the this argument again

Sorry, it's the first time I've ever seen the argument, or ever seen or thought about the show. I gather you're saying this discussion has already been resolved and must not be restarted? ;)

concerned
08-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Sorry, it's the first time I've ever seen the argument, or ever seen or thought about the show. I gather you're saying this discussion has already been resolved and must not be restarted? ;)

my wife and I started watching it couple weeks ago on netflix. We have watched 6 episodes from season 1. He just shaved is head and put jesse in the hospital. Both of us are now addicted to the show and I'm not opening this thread again. Have to avoid everything on the internet.

Mormon Red Death
08-11-2013, 05:16 PM

It's the same argument for mad men

LA Ute
08-11-2013, 05:17 PM
my wife and I started watching it couple weeks ago on netflix. We have watched 6 episodes from season 1. He just shaved is head and put jesse in the hospital. Both of us are now addicted to the show and I'm not opening this thread again. Have to avoid everything on the internet.

In the unlikely event I watch again and make any comments, I'll use spoiler tags here.

LA Ute
08-11-2013, 05:20 PM
It's the same argument for mad men

Oh, you mean the show about people leading miserable, unhappy and unprincipled lives? ;) Well, at least they are not murdering children on that show.

OrangeUte
08-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Excellent season opener. The garage scene to end the episode and set the whole season in final motion was absolutely amazing! Dean Norris as Hank is one of my favorite characters in this whole series. Absolutely terrific how intense he is. His voice and intense face are such an asset to the show. He's had it with Walt and is locked on. This is going to be beautiful and ugly going forward.

LA - give this show a chance. You are taking the motorcycle scene out of a huge context and isolating it. It plays a major role in this series' ultimate portrayal of morality.

Jesse Pinkman hanging with Skinny Pete and the description of the Star Trek episode was just perfect blend of comedy and Pinkman completely being lost in his own guilt was powerful during that whole scene and the whole episode.

A+ in every single way.

mpfunk
08-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Excellent season opener. The garage scene to end the episode and set the whole season in final motion was absolutely amazing! Dean Norris as Hank is one of my favorite characters in this whole series. Absolutely terrific how intense he is. His voice and intense face are such an asset to the show. He's had it with Walt and is locked on. This is going to be beautiful and ugly going forward.

LA - give this show a chance. You are taking the motorcycle scene out of a huge context and isolating it. It plays a major role in this series' ultimate portrayal of morality.

Jesse Pinkman hanging with Skinny Pete and the description of the Star Trek episode was just perfect blend of comedy and Pinkman completely being lost in his own guilt was powerful during that whole scene and the whole episode.

A+ in every single way.

Maybe you should thread lightly.

Awesome start.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
08-13-2013, 03:22 PM
I will probably check BB out. I saw a very favorable piece by Jonah Goldberg of National Review, calling "Breaking Bad" a fundamentally conservative show. Interestingly, BB does better in red states than blue states. Hmmmm.

I just don't like feeling heartsick at the end of TV show episode, like I did after the one where the kid was murdered. Maybe I simply tuned in at the wrong time for my first exposure to BB.

LA Ute
08-13-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty sure you'll be okay without it. Sports is the only true, unscripted drama on television. Everything else is a soap opera.

Get your scripted drama fix with an occasional movie. Get your real drama fix by watching more sports.

Sometimes the New York Yankees offer a pretty good soap opera. ;)

Diehard Ute
08-13-2013, 11:12 PM
I will probably check BB out. I saw a very favorable piece by Jonah Goldberg of National Review, calling "Breaking Bad" a fundamentally conservative show. Interestingly, BB does better in red states than blue states. Hmmmm.

I just don't like feeling heartsick at the end of TV show episode, like I did after the one where the kid was murdered. Maybe I simply tuned in at the wrong time for my first exposure to BB.

Some of the states with the biggest rates of meth use, especially during the lab years were red states.....

LA Ute
08-14-2013, 12:25 AM
Some of the states with the biggest rates of meth use, especially during the lab years were red states.....

:D.

chrisrenrut
08-14-2013, 07:25 AM
. . .LA - give this show a chance. You are taking the motorcycle scene out of a huge context and isolating it. It plays a major role in this series' ultimate portrayal of morality. . .

A+ in every single way.

This is spot on. Kind of like judging Les Miserables on Fantine's prostitution scene only.

LA Ute
08-14-2013, 08:57 AM
This is spot on. Kind of like judging Les Miserables on Fantine's prostitution scene only.

Oh, I get that. Too many people I respect say the show is great for me to judge it on that one set of scenes alone. But still, guys....

Mormon Red Death
08-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Oh, I get that. Too many people I respect say the show is great for me to judge it on that one set of scenes alone. But still, guys....

Don't harass in guys he just needs to watch stuff like the Disney Channel or ABC Family

Diehard Ute
08-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Don't harass in guys he just needs to watch stuff like the Disney Channel or ABC Family

Yes. With their fine stars like Justin Bieber (latest picture is of him playing a guitar naked...to his grandmother), Amanda Bynes, Miley Cyrus etc ;)

LA Ute
08-14-2013, 09:37 AM

I repeat my earlier comment:

Scorcho
08-14-2013, 12:04 PM
I just found Hank on another new TV series called "Under the Dome" (it's what the kids are watching in-between there obsession with Dr. Who, Merlin and Supernatural).

One of the best aspects of Breaking Bad is the transformation of it's characters. I've evolved from being very sympathetic to Walter White to wanting his demise over the past few seasons. At the same I've felt the exact opposite for Jesse.

This has to be one of the top 5 TV series of all-time.

OrangeUte
08-15-2013, 07:45 AM
I just found Hank on another new TV series called "Under the Dome" (it's what the kids are watching in-between there obsession with Dr. Who, Merlin and Supernatural).

One of the best aspects of Breaking Bad is the transformation of it's characters. I've evolved from being very sympathetic to Walter White to wanting his demise over the past few seasons. At the same I've felt the exact opposite for Jesse.

This has to be one of the top 5 TV series of all-time.

Absolutely top 5. As Gilligan said - he's taking Mr. Chips and turning him into Scarface. Wonderful atypical story arc since everything else flows the other way.

Gratuitous violence actually is not part of the show guys. I can't think of anything in this series that was gratuitous. It's all very methodical. All scenes have a place and purpose. Even the tv people are watching in the background foretells what's happening or has a place in the storyline.

Excellent show.

LA Ute
08-15-2013, 09:22 AM
I'd love to see that part of it. I decided that my primary complaint (there are plenty of secondary complaints) with the Star Wars prequels is that we were supposed to see someone's transition from being truly great and loved to being completely evil. We didn't see an ounce of that. We instead saw someone who was really whiny and unlikeable turn into more of a jerk.

When I realized that was the fundamental issue with the prequels, I started asking people if they knew of any examples in film or literature that show a compelling fall from grace. I came up with King David and Faust but neither really satisfied. I guess there's the devil himself. I'm not really sure that Macbeth was great before his fall. A recent film Chronicle showed a loser turn into a villain when he gets superpowers, but he was never great to begin with. Anyone got other examples? I'd love to hear them. I haven't read Dorian Gray, not sure how good he is to start with.

I'm sure this is a good show, and I'm sure the violence is an important part of it (and not gratuitous), but I know myself well enough to know that I just can't stomach those kinds of scenes. So I will likely never see the show. Ditto The Wire, the Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Dexter. I'm sure they are good shows. I'm just sensitive to violence. Mad Men, on the other hand, I'm sure I could handle, but that just screams "soap opera" at me whenever I think about watching it.

Othello was a pretty good guy before the green-eyed monster got to him. So was Michael Corleone, before loyalty to his father made him into a well-dressed but murderous hood.

OrangeUte
08-15-2013, 02:45 PM
Othello was a pretty good guy before the green-eyed monster got to him. So was Michael Corleone, before loyalty to his father made him into a well-dressed but murderous hood.

if you like the godfather with all of its violence you won't have any problems with breaking bad.

LA Ute
08-15-2013, 03:18 PM
if you like the godfather with all of its violence you won't have any problems with breaking bad.

Hey, I'm a movie lover. I'll check out BB. Maybe I just happened to tune in, for my first look at the show, to the worst part of the worst episode in the whole series. Just my luck.

LA Ute
08-18-2013, 07:53 PM
From the IMDB Parents' Guide: (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903747/parentalguide)

Violence & Gore

Violent Content: (9/10)

Many people are shot throughout the series, some at point blank range, and often there is very graphic results (blood sprays and splatters, occasional gore, visible bullet holes, etc).

Several corpses are melted throughout the series, and these scenes are very disturbing. Some of these scenes can be very gory and graphic.

A man is strangled to death (hard to watch, but generally non-explicit).

While a man tries to break open a stolen ATM machine, his wife pushes it over onto him, crushing his head (very hard to watch but not extremely graphic, moderately explicit).

A man has his head cut off brutally (VERY graphic, and the head is seen several times).

A bomb goes off, killing several men and blowing the legs of a man off (Very brief, but somewhat graphic).

There is a non-detailed plane crash.

Many rough beatings and fighting throughout the series.

A woman overdoses on heroin, chokes on vomit in her sleep, and dies (disturbingly realistic, extremely graphic but not bloody or gory).

10 people are killed in a montage. They are stabbed, beaten, and burnt to death (this is one of the bloodiest, most shocking and graphic sequences in the entire series, VERY explicit).

An SUV runs down two men very suddenly (not very graphic, but it is violent).

A man slits another man's throat with a box cutter (another bloody and extremely shocking and graphic sequence).

After an explosion, we see a man walk away with half of his face blown off. He then falls dead (very graphic, but somewhat unrealistic).

A man places a defibrillator in his mouth and over his heart and kills himself non-graphically.

Some other violent situations throughout ranging from mild to moderate.

NOTE: Violence is not constant and many episodes will go by with very little to mild violence. However, there are infrequent instances of extremely shocking and graphic violence.

Vince Gilligan comments on violence in the show. (http://variety.com/2013/voices/opinion/gilligan-2444/)

The Atlantic: How 'Breaking Bad' Covers Up a Child Murder: With Ruthless Efficiency (http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/08/how-breaking-bad-covers-up-a-child-murder-with-ruthless-efficiency/261312/)

http://youtu.be/QEViTUx0smI

I'm just pulling everyone's chain. It's the contrarian in me. I promise to watch the show. Maybe even tonight.

OrangeUte
08-19-2013, 09:09 AM
What a great episode! Tense from the beginning with Walt leaving Hanks garage and then trying to call Skyler.

The diner scene with Hank and Skyler was incredible. Awkward, emotional, manipulative. Dean Norris deserves an Emmy for these last two seasons alone.

But then there was the emotional scene with Skyler, the baby, Marie, and Hank.

Ricky Hitler makes an appearance, more of LA Ute's unnecessary bloodshed occurs (off-camera this time, though), and the winding down of the show is turning out to be brilliant.

Jarid in Cedar
08-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Test

OrangeUte
08-19-2013, 07:49 PM
What a great episode! Tense from the beginning with Walt leaving Hanks garage and then trying to call Skyler.

The diner scene with Hank and Skyler was incredible. Awkward, emotional, manipulative. Dean Norris deserves an Emmy for these last two seasons alone.

But then there was the emotional scene with Skyler, the baby, Marie, and Hank.

Ricky Hitler makes an appearance, more of LA Ute's unnecessary bloodshed occurs (off-camera this time, though), and the winding down of the show is turning out to be brilliant.

I kept wondering what role Lydia is going to play. now it seems like she may be trying to assert herself as the next Heisenberg with Walt out of the picture. perhaps Walt was getting the ricin to off Lydia?

aquasaurious
08-19-2013, 10:24 PM

Oh, you definitely saw one of the most pivotal and gut-wrenching moments in the entire series. There are others that play out differently but are just as horrible. There are a lot of violent scenes, and scenes of people using drugs, and foul language, and once or twice a season, sexuality. None of these things are airbrushed or glossed over. That's the beauty of the series; its unflinching, unashamed ugliness. But nobody escapes their karmic debts on this show, and this show is not about lionizing criminal behavior, it is about shedding light on how deep the consequences go for these people, how many lives they affect and ruin. Sometimes the consequences are immediate. Sometimes they play out over months or years. Watching the main character build lie upon lie upon lie, waiting for his house of cards to crumble, is the heart of this series. There really isn't a guy to root for, unless you want to root for the main characters to come clean and walk away from their endeavors. But they can't do that, or we don't have a show. The hero of this show is simply the fact that it recognizes that all actions have consequences. In other shows people do effed up stuff and get away with it, and live happily ever after because we like them. Not so, this show.

And the kid's murder is not some trivial event in the series. If you continued on to the next episode (and were familiar with the characters from previous episodes) you would see how profoundly that event affects the main characters (and they go about dealing with it in very different ways from each other). This is the best written television show I've ever seen.

I wouldn't blame you if you never watch it again. It certainly isn't for the faint of heart, and even the not-so-faint of heart. But as amoral as it may feel to watch, it's completely an object lesson in morality. If you decide to ever watch it again, you simply must start at the very beginning and view in sequential order. And it's not all doom and gloom. Especially the first two seasons, which have as much comic value as drama. It gets darker as it goes, up until the scene you saw. In fact, that is the very point where all their schemes and machinations begin to crumble.

And thus ends my first ever post on this site.

LA Ute
08-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Oh, you definitely saw one of the most pivotal and gut-wrenching moments in the entire series. There are others that play out differently but are just as horrible. There are a lot of violent scenes, and scenes of people using drugs, and foul language, and once or twice a season, sexuality. None of these things are airbrushed or glossed over. That's the beauty of the series; its unflinching, unashamed ugliness. But nobody escapes their karmic debts on this show, and this show is not about lionizing criminal behavior, it is about shedding light on how deep the consequences go for these people, how many lives they affect and ruin. Sometimes the consequences are immediate. Sometimes they play out over months or years. Watching the main character build lie upon lie upon lie, waiting for his house of cards to crumble, is the heart of this series. There really isn't a guy to root for, unless you want to root for the main characters to come clean and walk away from their endeavors. But they can't do that, or we don't have a show. The hero of this show is simply the fact that it recognizes that all actions have consequences. In other shows people do effed up stuff and get away with it, and live happily ever after because we like them. Not so, this show.

And the kid's murder is not some trivial event in the series. If you continued on to the next episode (and were familiar with the characters from previous episodes) you would see how profoundly that event affects the main characters (and they go about dealing with it in very different ways from each other). This is the best written television show I've ever seen.

I wouldn't blame you if you never watch it again. It certainly isn't for the faint of heart, and even the not-so-faint of heart. But as amoral as it may feel to watch, it's completely an object lesson in morality. If you decide to ever watch it again, you simply must start at the very beginning and view in sequential order. And it's not all doom and gloom. Especially the first two seasons, which have as much comic value as drama. It gets darker as it goes, up until the scene you saw. In fact, that is the very point where all their schemes and machinations begin to crumble.

And it is a very good post. Thanks. To be clear, I see the decision to watch or not watch this show as a matter of personal preference, not of principle. The artistic merit and value seem pretty well-established.

OrangeUte
08-19-2013, 11:03 PM

Nicely put and welcome to the site!

BB is a brilliant show. Well written and well acted and extremely intricate in the story lines.

Well put.

Scorcho
08-27-2013, 01:48 PM
wow, what a brilliant episode on Sunday (maybe the best episode in the entire series).

The DVD made for Hank was unexpected and unnerving.

wuapinmon
09-08-2013, 11:40 PM
Hank & Gomez are Jules Winnfield, apparently.

LA Ute
09-12-2013, 05:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duKL2dAJN6I

wuapinmon
09-12-2013, 10:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMcD43pIAys

OrangeUte
09-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Now that the lines have been drawn and the sides have been chosen, it is Walt versus Jesse and Hank versus Lydia Rodarte-Quayle/Todd et al.

The scheming, violence, and battle of wits is just getting heated up.

OrangeUte
09-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Holy sweet Moses this show is amazing!

Anyone else watch tonight's episode?

Tecate_Guapo Ute
09-16-2013, 02:48 AM
Holy sweet Moses this show is amazing!

Anyone else watch tonight's episode?

I hate it when shows don't really end with resolution. BB has consistently had great writing. I'm really glad to see that they're not skimping on a real ending. And after this episode, things are definitely coming to a finite end. From last episode to this episode I did expect what happened to Hank. Did not expect what Hank Jr did. Jesse's fate? One thing I've learned from BB is never expect to predict much.

OrangeUte
09-16-2013, 07:46 AM
After the shoot out and while Hank is pushing his barrel across the desert, the song that played referred to "say good bye to everyone". Gilligan is notorious for using background music and television shows (scarface) to foretell what is going to happen. It may be that Walt destroys everyone.

wuapinmon
09-16-2013, 10:36 AM
After the shoot out and while Hank is pushing his barrel across the desert, the song that played referred to "say good bye to everyone". Gilligan is notorious for using background music and television shows (scarface) to foretell what is going to happen. It may be that Walt destroys everyone.

I enjoyed the crafty writing that shows Jesse literally chained to the meth business no matter what he tries to do to escape it.

This season has really reminded me of this passage from Herodotus about Xerxes:

And now, as he [Xerxes, king of the Persians] looked and saw the whole Hellespont covered with the vessels of his fleet, and all the shore and every plain about Abydos as full as possible of men, Xerxes congratulated himself on his good fortune; but after a little while he wept.

Then Artabanus, the king's uncle (the same who at the first so freely spake his mind to the king, and advised him not to lead his army against Greece), when he heard that Xerxes was in tears, went to him, and said:- "How different, sire, is what thou art now doing, from what thou didst a little while ago! Then thou didst congratulate thyself; and now, behold! thou weepest." There came upon me," replied he, "a sudden pity, when I thought of the shortness of man's life, and considered that of all this host, so numerous as it is, not one will be alive when a hundred years are gone by." "And yet there are sadder things in life than that," returned the other. "Short as our time is, there is no man, whether it be here among this multitude or elsewhere, who is so happy, as not to have felt the wish- I will not say once, but full many a time- that he were dead rather than alive. Calamities fall upon us; sicknesses vex and harass us, and make life, short though it be, to appear long. So death, through the wretchedness of our life, is a most sweet refuge to our race: and God, who gives us the tastes that we enjoy of pleasant times, is seen, in his very gift, to be envious."

Tecate_Guapo Ute
09-16-2013, 01:51 PM
I enjoyed the crafty writing that shows Jesse literally chained to the meth business no matter what he tries to do to escape it.

Interesting observation. Literally and figuratively chained to the meth biz. Reminiscent of Michael Corleone's line, "Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." Time and time again when Jesse has had the ability to leave he hasn't; When he desperately wants to leave he can't.

Tecate_Guapo Ute
09-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Do you think Walt knew Skyler was on the phone with the cops? He basically got her off the hook for any crime. Brilliant if he deliberately did.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Do you think Walt knew Skyler was on the phone with the cops? He basically got her off the hook for any crime. Brilliant if he deliberately did.

Absolutely. After Skyler says that she was sorry, Walter gives a very audible sigh. This signaled to me that he was relieved that she was playing along. The real Skyler would have bitched him out big time for his rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

Scorcho
09-17-2013, 10:52 AM
My breaking bad story ending theory prediction

The opening flashback showing Walt and Jesse cooking in the RV hints at the growing animosity between the two. This finally over-boils when Walt proclaimed that he witnessed Jane die.

The three main parties that the show needs to conclude are Walt, Jesse and Todd’s Uncle. Walt gave Skylar an out and so there involvement in the story will fade. This next episode Todd’s uncles gang will be dealt with and the final episode will be the show down between Walt and Jesse. I’ll make a guess that Walt will meet his demise and Jesse survives.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Here's why your ending doesn't make sense to me. Why would Walt risk the pathetic remains of his life dealing with Todd and his gang, to get Ito it with Jesse? Seems really odd. I think he somehow discovers that Jesse is still alive and in an act of redemption, goes in for the rescue. Now, assuming Walt survives that, if Jesse choses to kill him at that point, so be it. But that might just be the worst ending of all. Because that would mean that Jesse is no better than Walt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

OrangeUte
09-17-2013, 09:10 PM
My prediction is that the first part of this next episode will be Walt fleeing. Remember the opening scene this season was Walt returning to his house with a full head of hair.

The rest will be Jessie dealing with Todd and his uncle, and Lydia as well, and Skyler and the family moving on. Most likely we will find out who writes Heisenberg on the wall.

Then, the final showdown with Walt and Jesse, or Walt and Jesse and Todd's uncle's gang Will be the climax next week.

OrangeUte
09-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Remember that after Walt goes to his house
In the opening scene he goes to the car to get a gun.

LA Ute
09-20-2013, 06:16 PM
For my Breaking Bad fan friends:

The Theology of Breaking Bad (http://www.fare-forward.com/the-theology-of-breaking-bad/)

This was very interesting. I don't know if I'll ever make the time to watch all 5 years, but I'm beginning to be won over to the idea of the series.

wuapinmon
09-21-2013, 12:51 PM
For my Breaking Bad fan friends:

The Theology of Breaking Bad (http://www.fare-forward.com/the-theology-of-breaking-bad/)

This was very interesting. I don't know if I'll ever make the time to watch all 5 years, but I'm beginning to be won over to the idea of the series.

That was an excellent read. The show is amazing; get with it, viejo.

LA Ute
09-21-2013, 01:22 PM
That was an excellent read. The show is amazing; get with it, viejo.

I'm just so far behind.

wuapinmon
09-22-2013, 09:12 PM
Todd is the greatest tv villain of all time.

GarthUte
09-22-2013, 09:21 PM

No villain is better than Snidely Whiplash. Nobody. The world agrees with me.

Mormon Red Death
09-22-2013, 09:21 PM
the last show is going to be epic

LA Ute
09-22-2013, 10:01 PM
No villain is better than Snidely Whiplash. Nobody. The world agrees with me.

It's a well-known fact.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/23/qu5usute.jpg

Tecate_Guapo Ute
09-23-2013, 04:56 PM

Whenever I see Todd I think of Friday Night Lights.

wuapinmon
09-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Whenever I see Todd I think of Friday Night Lights.

I didn't watch that show, but almost everyone I know says the same thing about him. His delivery is so chilling. "I'm sorry for your loss" about Hank. <shudder>

LA Ute
09-23-2013, 09:01 PM
I didn't watch that show, but almost everyone I know says the same thing about him. His delivery is so chilling. "I'm sorry for your loss" about Hank. <shudder>

He's the one who shot the kid, right? I watched a bit last night and saw the scene in the child's bedroom with Todd, Skylar (sp?) and his various helpers. Yep, pretty creepy.

Viking
09-24-2013, 05:17 PM

I tried season 1. I get the artistic/entertainment quality...but it was very negative and I couldn't really get enthusiastic about it.

Scorcho
09-24-2013, 08:59 PM
didn't care much for that last episode, but it did set up the potential for an amazing finale.

Tecate_Guapo Ute
09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
didn't care much for that last episode, but it did set up the potential for an amazing finale.

Agreed. No real forward plot progression from the previous episode. Nothing new was revealed: Already knew Walt had lost his family and moved to New Hampshire; Jesse was being kept alive as long as he cooked; Flynn hated his dad so why would he accept money; Skyler was working with cops and was in trouble.

Was expecting more considering it's the episode before the finale. Hopefully the finale doesn't disappoint...

DU Ute
09-26-2013, 01:25 PM
My wife and I finally got on board and started watching this less than a month ago. We've made it through all but the last three episodes and the finale. I've never seen anything like it. Amazing.

Mormon Red Death
09-26-2013, 06:15 PM
My wife and I finally got on board and started watching this less than a month ago. We've made it through all but the last three episodes and the finale. I've never seen anything like it. Amazing.

So that's where you've been

Brian
09-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Wow, what an ending. I feel like I need to re-watch it in order to really appreciate it. A lot of subtlety in there.
Walt taken down by his own end game, and he died admiring his incredible gift at making drugs, what really made him happy. Strangely satisfying, but very pathetic at the same time.
His family is safe, and they all have outs. Jessie, the only guy with a conscience, is finally free.
Loved how Jessie said no to Walt in the end and dropped the gun.
Very hard scene with Walt watching Walt Jr. for the last time.

Did Gilligan just make Walt a symbol for Jesus? Goes to that meth-prison to get Jessie, forces them to bring him out, then pierced in the side after shielding Jessie from the bullets, and dies with outstretched arms. Jessie runs free, a smile on his face.

Bar none, the best TV series I have ever watched.

Brian
09-30-2013, 09:09 AM
And they didn't overdo anything either, like I worried they might in a few place.
No Walt-Skylar hug in the apartment. It was clear Skylar still had some feelings for Walt, but more upset. The scene with Holly was touching. And then he left.
That was a very powerful sequence.

Walt in Elliot's house was very creepy. What a sequence.
Badger and Skinny Pete for a return. That was fun. (Minor quibble, it seems like it would be almost impossible to keep a steady hand with those laser pointers from that distance. Especially for these two jokers. But that's beside the point....)

I loved the flashbacks in the house, what things used to be like. All that he had, and now, nothing. And that oddly, loveable Hank inviting him for a ride. That was the real genesis to all of this, Hank's invitation.

This show will leave a mark.

wuapinmon
09-30-2013, 01:00 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Excellent.

LA Ute
09-30-2013, 01:25 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Excellent.

My wife the advertising and TV commercial lady has now seen some episodes and she was mesmerized, so I am pretty sure I'll be watching the whole thamn ding with her.

Mano
09-30-2013, 04:21 PM

I always thought that Tony Soprano's Mother was the most evil villian I have ever seen on television.

Mormon Red Death
10-01-2013, 05:04 AM
In memoriam

https://mobile.twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/384787691411210241

OrangeUte
10-01-2013, 07:51 PM
The finale was an absolutely great ending to a first class television program. Bryan Cranston nailed it all. Regret. Acceptance. Evil. Good. Penitence. Sin. Everything in this episode came full circle. Nothing that Walter White did in the end was mind blowing repentance, but he did make some things right. The scene with skyler and then with Holly was incredible. The conversation and the control and the admittance of his pride. I'm glad that Walt and skyler didn't hug after because even though she clearly still cares for him, that would have been out of place. Everything in this episode fit.

Jessie being free and Walt being redeemed - just kind of on both accounts.

RobinFinderson
10-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Great series. Loved the final episode, in which Walt orchestrated and pulled of his best Heisenberg plan. I'm looking forward to the Saul Goodman series, and hope that it lives by the rules of the BB universe (and isn't just a bunch of Saul-based one-liners, but actually fleshes out characters).

I still think that Walt Jr. was a total waste of screen time, even in the final episode, but at least I won't have to watch the twerp eat breakfast ever again.

OrangeUte
10-01-2013, 09:07 PM
I haven't seen the show, but it's impossible to not know the basic story outline. I was really hoping for a Shakespearean, everyone-dies ending.

It is even better than this.

Tecate_Guapo Ute
10-01-2013, 09:51 PM

The opening flashback showing Walt and Jesse cooking in the RV hints at the growing animosity between the two. This finally over-boils when Walt proclaimed that he witnessed Jane die.

The three main parties that the show needs to conclude are Walt, Jesse and Todd’s Uncle. Walt gave Skylar an out and so there involvement in the story will fade. This next episode Todd’s uncles gang will be dealt with and the final episode will be the show down between Walt and Jesse. I’ll make a guess that Walt will meet his demise and Jesse survives.

You nailed it! Well done Scorcho!!!

LA Ute
10-02-2013, 12:39 PM
This video may not seem to fit this thread, but if you watch to the end you will see how it does.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/obamacare-cold-open/n41321/

wuapinmon
10-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Here's a fun video that will spoil the entire series for you if you haven't seen it. DO NOT WATCH UNLESS YOU'VE FINISHED THE SERIES!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlZZFX8lqbg

Applejack
11-20-2013, 01:56 PM
My wife and I just finished Season 1. I look forward to reading this thread in about a month.

UBlender
11-20-2013, 03:27 PM
My wife and I just finished Season 1. I look forward to reading this thread in about a month.

Maybe you and I should start our own private thread. Mrs. Blender and I are about three episodes into season two. Very excited to keep going.

chrisrenrut
12-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Finished the final 4 episodes last night. I only meant to watch two, but there was no way I couldn't continue to the end. I can't even imagine how those of you who watched each new episode the week they were aired could handle the anticipation for an entire week. I have had to avoid all Breaking Bad threads and conversations for the past 2 years so I could watch the full 16 episodes of season 5 at my own pace.

i watched in my basement alone, my wife can't stomached this type of show. Watching by myself, I found my self, shouting, clapping, laughing, cheering, and pausing the show to catch my breath. The ending was close to perfect. By far, the best show on TV ever.

Applejack
01-28-2014, 07:54 AM
I'm 5 episodes away from finishing this thing and I'll be able to contribute to this thread. Just tell me that Saul makes it out OK - I need Saul to be alive!

Sullyute
01-28-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm 5 episodes away from finishing this thing and I'll be able to contribute to this thread. Just tell me that Saul makes it out OK - I need Saul to be alive!

The last 5 episodes drop on Netflix towards the end of February. I have stayed away from all the talk until I get to finish it too.

Brian
01-28-2014, 09:02 AM
The last 5 episodes drop on Netflix towards the end of February. I have stayed away from all the talk until I get to finish it too.

I wish I could erase my mind, and go back and re-watch it anew. To enjoy the greatness of BB one more time. That would be nice.

UBlender
01-28-2014, 10:47 AM

I lucked out. My wife and I were approaching the end of the Netflix episodes (all but the last eight) during the holidays, when I noticed that AMC was re-running the entire series. I was able to DVR the last eight and finish the series in stride.

I couldn't be more excited about the Better Call Saul spinoff (not a spoiler, I understand it is a prequel or something) that starts in November. I'm excited enough that I am almost sure to be let down a little bit.

Applejack
01-28-2014, 12:23 PM
I lucked out. My wife and I were approaching the end of the Netflix episodes (all but the last eight) during the holidays, when I noticed that AMC was re-running the entire series. I was able to DVR the last eight and finish the series in stride.

I couldn't be more excited about the Better Call Saul spinoff (not a spoiler, I understand it is a prequel or something) that starts in November. I'm excited enough that I am almost sure to be let down a little bit.

Library!

Sullyute
02-24-2014, 03:22 PM
The last 8 episodes of Breaking Bad posted on Netflix today!! :rave: I plan on watching an episode or two tonight.

DrumNFeather
02-25-2014, 09:05 PM
The last 8 episodes of Breaking Bad posted on Netflix today!! :rave: I plan on watching an episode or two tonight.

Just finished the final 8 episodes in 24 hours. Very well done. Great show.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Mormon Red Death
02-26-2014, 01:31 PM

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

In case you didnt get to see this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-s8srPxW4

Sullyute
02-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Wow, that was fantastic. Absolutely loved the ending. Watching him see his kids for the last time was emotional. Great show.

concerned
03-24-2014, 08:14 AM

This is the first time I have opened this thread since the post above. Finished it last night. I think it is the best show I have ever seen; so Shakespearean. The plot so tightly constructed that details you think are throwaways in the early seasons become crucial later on. Multi-dimensional characters who grow and develop and change; great acting. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul especially. Only one or two jump the shark moments that come close to bursting your willing suspension of disbelief.

My wife and I really enjoyed and savored the journey. I dont suspect we will ever follow a show the same way we followed it; it is hard to try to watch anything anything else after that (Downton Abbey being a real disappointment this year).

I am really going to miss it.

Brian
05-02-2014, 07:54 AM
I saw Eyebrows yesterday in the cafeteria at work.
A good friend of mine, who was at my place of work for a meeting, pointed him out to me. It turns out that the guy who plays Eyebrows only moonlights as an actor, in real life he's a very accomplished physicist at Argonne National Laboratory. Prior to Argonne, he was at Los Alamos, which is I guess how he got hooked up with the shooting in ABQ. My friend and eyebrows were in the same meeting. In fact Eyebrows is the PI for the project, and people were calling him Eyebrows in the meeting.

His eyebrows did not disappoint. They were glorious to behold.

LA Ute
05-02-2014, 09:06 AM
This is the first time I have opened this thread since the post above. Finished it last night. I think it is the best show I have ever seen; so Shakespearean. The plot so tightly constructed that details you think are throwaways in the early seasons become crucial later on. Multi-dimensional characters who grow and develop and change; great acting. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul especially. Only one or two jump the shark moments that come close to bursting your willing suspension of disbelief.

My wife and I really enjoyed and savored the journey. I dont suspect we will ever follow a show the same way we followed it; it is hard to try to watch anything anything else after that (Downton Abbey being a real disappointment this year).

I am really going to miss it.

I guess I will watch it. You win.

Brian
05-02-2014, 09:40 AM

You will not regret it.

concerned
05-02-2014, 09:49 AM

I hope you start with the right attitude. If you go in holding your nose, you will be disappointed.

Btw, I saw a promo yesterday for Better Call Saul., the spinoff. It is a prequel and will star Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman and Johnathon Banks as Mike Ehrmantrout. That wont mean anything to you but it may have interest for everybody who has finished BB.

Brian
05-02-2014, 10:54 AM
I hope you start with the right attitude. If you go in holding your nose, you will be disappointed.

Btw, I saw a promo yesterday for Better Call Saul., the spinoff. It is a prequel and will star Bob Odenkirk as Saul Goodman and Johnathon Banks as Mike Ehrmantrout. That wont mean anything to you but it may have interest for everybody who has finished BB.

where did you see this? google didn't reveal....
I hope they do this well. Saul is an interesting character.

LA Ute
05-02-2014, 11:24 AM

I'm not that kind of art consumer.

Applejack
05-02-2014, 11:34 AM

i don't think this will work. Saul is awesome on BB, but he couldn't really carry an episode (he never had to). I'm not sure he's developed enough as a character for people to follow him.

Brian
05-02-2014, 12:08 PM
i don't think this will work. Saul is awesome on BB, but he couldn't really carry an episode (he never had to). I'm not sure he's developed enough as a character for people to follow him.

I have that concern too, but he's an interesting enough character that I think I care about how he got to be who he is. Now, that's all in the execution of an idea with potential. Vince knows what he's doing, so I hope this works. I'm worried this might be Joanie Loves Chachi, but I'm hopeful it will be Laverne and Shirley.

UBlender
05-02-2014, 01:13 PM

I agree. I'm going to give this show a chance, but I'm not optimistic that it will be good, and when you add in the extremely high bar set by Breaking Bad then it is likely to fall woefully short of expectations. But I'm pulling for the show the same way I'm pulling for Utah to win the PAC 12 in football this year.

DrumNFeather
08-11-2014, 08:33 AM
http://youtu.be/l72slQxasTs

concerned
08-11-2014, 08:46 AM
My wife and I have tried to get into any new show--Orange, House of Cards, Killers, etc. etc etc. And everytime we try to watch an episode, it just reminds us how much we miss Breaking Bad. We will see about Saul Goodman.

mpfunk
08-11-2014, 11:42 AM
No kidding. This "golden age" of TV leaves a lot to be desired. I think the ongoing soap opera model with weekly cliffhanger needs to die out. At least the make-it-up-as-you-go era seems to have passed.

Breaking Bad is certainly the best that has been out there, but just because other shows don't live up to Breaking Bad doesn't mean this isn't the golden age of TV. There has been just amazing TV put out over the past couple of years. In the past year, Fargo, Game of Thrones, and True Detective have all been fantastic.

mpfunk
08-11-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm intrigued by Fargo and will probably give it a shot whenever I can see it for free.

The golden age of TV was seasons 3-10 of the Simpsons. Not even Breaking Bad can live up to that. Plus, Seinfeld was going on as an undercard. It's the last time there was a show good enough to make me watch regularly. Or maybe my lifestyle has just changed since then to eliminate tv outside of sports. Anyway, you can go ahead and call this the silver age if you want.

I like Seinfeld, it is funny but it is consistently overrated. Seinfeld mostly became irrelevant when Larry David started Curb your Enthusiasm. Why watch Curb-lite, when you can watch the much superior show.

The Simpsons was great in its prime, but there have been plenty of heavy hitters come out that are just as funny if not more. Curb and Arrested Development are 2 that are every bit as good as the Simpsons at its best and possibly better. Plus, throw in the Ricky Gervais stuff like he Office (UK) and Extras and you have more that can equal or surpass the Simpsons. Of course, this stuff isn't really part of the discussion on the Golden Age of television that is going on right now. What is making this the golden age is the dramatic series that have come out. It has been unreal that not only have you have shows as good as Game of Thrones or True Detective, but you had a show that blew them away like Breaking Bad.