PDA

View Full Version : wuap's Spanakopita

wuapinmon
03-02-2013, 07:45 PM
My wife and I bought a big bag (40 oz) of spinach at Costco last weekend, and we needed to use the remaining half. So, we decided to make a spanakopita. It's currently in the oven, and my house is starting to smell good.

This is based on a Cook's Illustrated recipe, which I've modified to suit our tastes (no nutmeg or mint/lime instead of lemon).

Photos to follow:

INGREDIENTS
20 ozs fresh spinach
1/4 cup of water
3 cups crumbled Feta cheese
3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt. Whole milk if you can find it. If not, use whatever and add 1/3 cup heavy cream.
6 green onions, sliced thin
2 eggs
2 tbsp dill weed
2 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp fresh lime zest
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp guajillo chile powder (or your favorite chile)
1 tsp kosher salt

Phyllo Dough Layers
1 package of 25 sheets of phyllo dough, thawed
12 oz grated or powder parmesan or romano cheese. We were thin on cheese, so my wife asked if we could use a "Mexican" blend we have from Costco. I told her it wasn't "Espanakopita."
12 tbsp butter, melted
Sesame seeds to shake on the top once it's done

The instructions are copied from Cook's Illustrated.

INSTRUCTIONS

1. FOR THE FILLING: Place spinach and water in large microwave-safe bowl. Cover bowl with large dinner plate. Microwave on high power until spinach is wilted and decreased in volume by half, about 5 minutes. Using potholders, remove bowl from microwave and keep covered, 1 minute. Carefully remove plate and transfer spinach to colander set in sink. Using back of rubber spatula, gently press spinach against colander to release excess liquid. Transfer spinach to cutting board and roughly chop. Transfer spinach to clean kitchen towel and squeeze to remove excess water. Place drained spinach in large bowl. Add remaining filling ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined. (Filling can be made up to 24 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator.)
2. FOR THE PHYLLO LAYERS: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Using pastry brush, lightly brush 14 by 9-inch rectangle in center of parchment with melted butter to cover area same size as phyllo. Lay 1 phyllo sheet on buttered parchment, and brush thoroughly with melted butter. Repeat with 9 more phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter (you should have total of 10 layers of phyllo).
3. Spread spinach mixture evenly over phyllo, leaving ¼-inch border on all sides. Cover spinach with 6 more phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter and sprinkling each with about 2 tablespoons romano cheese. Lay 2 more phyllo sheets on top, brushing each with butter (these layers should not be sprinkled with Pecorino).
4. Working from center outward, use palms of your hands to compress layers and press out any air pockets. Using sharp knife, score pie through the top 3 layers of phyllo into 24 equal pieces. Sprinkle with sesame seeds (if using). Bake until phyllo is golden and crisp, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes or up to 2 hours. Slide spanakopita, still on parchment, to cutting board. Cut into squares and serve.

wuapinmon
03-02-2013, 08:08 PM
http://distilleryimage11.instagram.com/4f25441e83ad11e282a722000a1f9d5f_7.jpg

clackamascoug
03-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Hey... it's Fast Sunday. No gnawing, and no eating.

big z
03-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Next time if you're up for it try making Fatayas.

http://juliafuleihan.blogspot.com/2012/07/recipe-for-dough-to-make-fataya-etc.html

wuapinmon
03-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Next time if you're up for it try making Fatayas.

http://juliafuleihan.blogspot.com/2012/07/recipe-for-dough-to-make-fataya-etc.html

The beauty of spanakopita is the dough is pre-made for you. But, I might try those once summer gets here.

SuperGabers
03-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Cheater. You need to make your own dough.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

wuapinmon
03-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Cheater. You need to make your own dough.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Screw that. Seriously. Who makes their own phyllo dough at home? NO ONE.

Solon
03-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Screw that. Seriously. Who makes their own phyllo dough at home? NO ONE.

Well done, wuap.
How about some tiropitas? They're my favorite. Well, besides the Almighty Bougatsa.

Yeia sou!

DU Ute
03-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Am I the only one who read the title of this thread as "wuap's Spanktopia"?

Randal Graves
03-03-2013, 04:52 PM

You read that and still opened the thread? :what:

wuapinmon
03-03-2013, 06:19 PM

Yes, you are. If you want the other, go buy a copy of the 1988 SI Swimsuit Edition off eBay.

big z
03-03-2013, 06:27 PM
The beauty of spanakopita is the dough is pre-made for you. But, I might try those once summer gets here.

If you're interested, here is a great cook book

http://www.amazon.com/Kibbee-Spice-Everything-Nice-Lebanese/dp/0967266300/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362360401&sr=8-1&keywords=kibbie+and+spice