PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the OL as we approach spring ball

UTEopia
03-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I think we all know that for the offense to improve we will need to be better along the offensive line. All of the players who will play next year will be in camp for spring ball, so we will likely have a pretty good idea of where we stand at the conclusion of spring ball. The key to the OL is to identify the best 5 players and then hope that there are 2 or 3 additional players who can contribute if injury or inconsistent play requires. Here is how I think the top 8 will shake out after spring ball as well as a short description of each player. All heights and weights taken from 2012 online roster.

1. Poutasi: will start at LT
2. Jones: can start at either guard or center and fill in at tackle if needed
3. Salt: might be 1 or 2 but since we haven't seen him play it is tough to put him ahead of the other guys.
4. Aiono: has improved and can play center, guard or tackle.
5. Albers: has the size and build to play tackle and the Utes need him to come in and establish himself.
6. JT: has the physical ability to play if he improves his technique and learns the offense.
7. Friel: Could move up to 4 if he has shaken off the mission rust.
8. Too tough for me to call as very little has been reported about the improvement of the other players.

Latu Heimuli Sr 6'3" 315: Heimuli came to Utah as a highly touted DL and was expected to be a mainstay throughout his career. A recurring foot injury has limited his play and ultimately contributed to him moving from DL to OL. He has started several games over the past few years but each year ended the same, with Heimuli reinjuring his foot and being forced to the sidelines. Some reports have Latu moving to the DL for his senior season and it is doubtful even if he removes on OL that he would start or see significant time. Hopefully the move to DL will allow him to play 10-12 plays per game and stay healthy throughout the year.

Vyncent Jones Sr 6'3" 300: Jones has started several games each of the past two seasons and will likely be a starter this coming year. Whether he will be at center, guard or even tackle is still up in the air. That will be determined by which of the other potential starters steps up and establishes himself.

Percy (BOT) Taumoelau Sr 6'4" 305: Bot began 2012 as starter but was replaced by RS So Jeremiah Poutasi several games into the season. Bot has some talent, but does not appear to have the athleticism to play tackle in the PAC 12. He may get a look at guard which is more suited to his talent and could challenge for playing time at that position.

Jeremiah Tofaeono Sr 6'2" 320: Like Bot, JT began the 2012 season as a starter. Inconsistent play and injuries put him on the bench. JT will get another chance to claim a starting position but my guess is that we have seen his ceiling and that will not get it done as a PAC 12 starter.

Carlos Lozano RS Jr 6'6" 3??: Lozano arrived from Juco last summer terribly overweight and although he has worked hard to shed some pounds, indications are that he is still too heavy to play effectively at tackle. Although he will certainly get a look at tackle, he is more likely to play guard then tackle.

Marc Pouvave RS Jr 6'4" 336: Like Lozano, Pouvave arrived last summer and many anticipated that he would take one of the starting tackle positions. An early camp injury (ruptured achilles) put Pouvave out for the season and he will get a chance this spring. Indications are that Pouvave still has a ways to go physically and mentally in order to compete at a BCS level. We should know whether he can contribute after spring ball.

Junior Salt RS Jr 6'2"330: Salt was slated to play DT but an early season injury and inconsistent play on the OL resulted in his moving from DT to OL. Reports are that he has done a great job on the OL and that it is anticipated that he will be one of the starting guards when all is said and done.

Andrew Albers Jr 6'7" 310: Albers started his career at Utah as a walk-on early enrollee. After spring ball he decided he no longer wanted to play football and returned home to California. After two years of JUCO football, Albers joined the team as a scholarship player in December. Albers has prototypical OT size and will likely get the first shot to claim the OT spot opposite Jeremiah Poutasi.

Siaosi Aiono RS So 6'2" 305: Aiono saw limited playing time in 2012, but indications are that he really improved over the course of the season. Although Aiono is short for an OT, he has long arms and could get a look at OT, guard and center. Aiono will likely be one of the top 7 OL at the end of spring ball and his versatility (like Vyncent Jones) makes him a valuable player.

Kala Friel RS So 6'4" 305: Kala returned from an LDS mission last summer and made some early waves to snag some playing time. When Jeremiah Poutasi stepped up, Friel ended up not playing much. Before his mission, coaches saw enough in Kala to award him a scholarship believe with a year under his belt we will see Kala challenge for the OT position.

Daniel Nielson RS So 6'6" 320: Saw limited duty as a redshirt freshman after being given the opportunity to grab the starting job in spring 2012. From what I have seen I do not think Daniel has the athletic ability to play at Utah but he is a good kid and works hard.

Jeremiah Poutasi RS So 6'5" 342: Highly touted out of high school Poutasi came into camp last summer and showed that his high recruiting service ranking was well deserved. My guess is that Poutasi will get a lot of work at LT this spring to see if he can make the transition from RT to LT.

Derek Tuimauga RS So 6'3" 340: Tuimauga redshirted in 2008 and played sparingly in 2009 before leaving on an LDS mission. Tuimauga is a prototypical road grader guard and will likely compete for time on the interior OL. Tuimouga returned in late 2012 and should be in decent shape when spring rolls around.

Hiva Lutui RS Fr 6'2" 297: Lutui came highly touted to Utah from Texas HS a year ago. Lutui will play center and will have a pretty high learning curve with the OL calls. If he can establish himself as the starter, Jones will be free to move to guard.

J J Dielman RS Fr 6'4" 243: Dielman is a tough kid who has some ability but still needs to add size. He will get a chance at tackle and see how he performs. I don't think he will break into the top 8 OL this year, but I think he has the ability to be there down the line.

Salesi Uhatafe Fr 6'5" 295: Salesi will not arrive until summer and unless the players here this spring disappoint and Salesi impresses it is likely that he will redshirt.

LA Ute
03-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Good stuff, UTEopia. I will be studying this before the spring game to see who is doing what.

Tutclub
03-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Great insight on the O-line, Thanks!!!

I had the chance to sit with Andrew Albers @ the signing party. Kid seems like a good guy, and I hope he has a great year!! Of course I hope the entire team has a great year, but when you get a chance to interact with a player even for a short time, you become a big fan!!

Jarid in Cedar
03-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Nice run down. I think that it has been confirmed that Latu Hemuli will be going back to the dline, at least for spring.

I think that if that is truly the case he will stay there. I can't imagine him not playing oline in the spring and being a factor in the fall(at oline)

UBlender
03-04-2013, 08:44 PM
I believe Isaac Asiata has gotten back in school and will participate in spring ball. I wouldn't expect him to compete for time in 2013 coming off of a shortened mission and a knee injury, but it adds another body with some promise at guard in the future.

There's also the Stott kid from St George via UA who won't factor into 2013 but provides another potential mainstay on the interior OL down the road.

crazyute
03-04-2013, 11:15 PM
we need to start adding more 6'6" long tackle types.

we do have zac lindsey who is coming in this spring too. he is 6'7" 330

and the granger kid at 6'8" is also a good sign for the future.

Jarid in Cedar
03-04-2013, 11:41 PM
we need to start adding more 6'6" long tackle types.

we do have zac lindsey who is coming in this spring too. he is 6'7" 330

and the granger kid at 6'8" is also a good sign for the future.

I haven't heard that Lindsey is on campus at this time. If he doesn't make it this spring, I wonder if he will ever wear a Ute uniform.

UTEopia
03-05-2013, 07:34 AM
I haven't heard that Lindsey is on campus at this time. If he doesn't make it this spring, I wonder if he will ever wear a Ute uniform.

I have heard that Lindsey is not on campus and that it is unlikely that he will be in the foreseeable future. I believe he was sitting out in order to try to improve his test score in order to be a qualifier. If he was unable to do that, his only option will be to attend a JC and obtain his AA. Even if he is on campus now, I am not sure he would be able to contribute this year.

I have also heard that Issac Asiata will not be able to enroll in school in time to participate in spring ball. I am not sure of the extent of his injury that brought him home from his mission to begin with but it is likely that it would require more rehab to get on the field then to return to the mission.

utebehindenemylines
03-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Great write up! I believe Poutasi is a true So, as he played last year as a true freshman.

UBlender
03-05-2013, 08:27 AM
I have also heard that Issac Asiata will not be able to enroll in school in time to participate in spring ball. I am not sure of the extent of his injury that brought him home from his mission to begin with but it is likely that it would require more rehab to get on the field then to return to the mission.

Isaac has tweeted that he was able to get back in school for second session of the semester and will be there for spring. But then again, Zach Lindsay and Alphonso Marsh continue to tweet things about (re-)joining the team that haven't happened/likely won't happen according to people who know.

Smileyguy1
03-05-2013, 09:54 AM
then again, Zach Lindsay and Alphonso Marsh continue to tweet things about (re-)joining the team that haven't happened/likely won't happen according to people who know.

Does anyone have the full story on Alphonso, I never could find out exactly what happened there.

SgtUte
03-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Does anyone have the full story on Alphonso, I never could find out exactly what happened there.

Didn't he get shot back in Cali? Drive-by or something like that. Had surgery recently but don't know his status as far as football goes.

SavaUte
03-05-2013, 10:48 AM
And Zach Lindsay?

Dawminator
03-05-2013, 05:43 PM
There were some posters over on Utezone who seem to think that Tofaeono will be one of the starters and like the OP I am not sure I agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones at Center and Lutui at LG. By the end of fall camp I think the starters on the line will be:

LT: Albers
LG: Lutui
C: Jones
RG: Salt
RT: Poutasi

If I am right (and I think I am), that is a good sign for a strong line.

Jarid in Cedar
03-05-2013, 06:11 PM
There were some posters over on Utezone who seem to think that Tofaeono will be one of the starters and like the OP I am not sure I agree. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jones at Center and Lutui at LG. By the end of fall camp I think the starters on the line will be:

LT: Albers
LG: Lutui
C: Jones
RG: Salt
RT: Poutasi

If I am right (and I think I am), that is a good sign for a strong line.

I like your line. Albers is the key. If he can nail down the LT slot, the whole line gets much better. I think that JT can win the LG slot. If not, Lutui, Pouvave, Lozano, all have a chance.

crazyute
03-05-2013, 07:42 PM
I like your line. Albers is the key. If he can nail down the LT slot, the whole line gets much better. I think that JT can win the LG slot. If not, Lutui, Pouvave, Lozano, all have a chance.
i agree about albers. and i really think we see either lozano or pouvave step up and win the LG spot. and pouvave is who i put my money on. but don't sleep on tuimauga who is back from his mission. he is a powerful blocker with great size. we shall see what type of shape he is in though.

concerned
03-05-2013, 07:51 PM
i agree about albers. and i really think we see either lozano or pouvave step up and win the LG spot. and pouvave is who i put my money on. but don't sleep on tuimauga who is back from his mission. he is a powerful blocker with great size. we shall see what type of shape he is in though.

After Pouvave was injured and Lozano bombed last year, why do we have faith that Albers will step in the the LT spot, when we recruited him after that other guy flirted with ASU?

Jarid in Cedar
03-05-2013, 07:52 PM

I like the position that we are currently in with our oline. Plenty of bodies if someone gets hurt, solid returning experience, and most importantly, the entire 2 deep(and then some of the 3 deep) will be in spring camp.

Jarid in Cedar
03-05-2013, 08:51 PM
After Pouvave was injured and Lozano bombed last year, why do we have faith that Albers will step in the the LT spot, when we recruited him after that other guy flirted with ASU?

1. He is here for spring
2. He is a known commodity. Was a walk on spring of 2011(before taking a hiatus to be a youth minister)
3. He has the perfect frame for the position

I don't know if he will win the position, but he is in much better position to do so than Pouvave or Lozano were last fall

concerned
03-05-2013, 09:31 PM
1. He is here for spring
2. He is a known commodity. Was a walk on spring of 2011(before taking a hiatus to be a youth minister)
3. He has the perfect frame for the position

I don't know if he will win the position, but he is in much better position to do so than Pouvave or Lozano were last fall

Sure hope you'll are right

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-05-2013, 10:03 PM
With all the mention of Pouvave, I take it that he's been fully cleared for spring ball? That would be pretty impressive. I have a friend who reptured his in mid September who still milks the injury.

Utebiquitous
03-05-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm told Pouvave probably isn't capable of getting into the rotation - at least not this year. Conversely, I'm hearing good things about Lutui, Poutasi and Albers. The sheer number of lineman competing is a real positive as well.
Biq

UTEopia
03-06-2013, 06:39 AM
I'm told Pouvave probably isn't capable of getting into the rotation - at least not this year. Conversely, I'm hearing good things about Lutui, Poutasi and Albers. The sheer number of lineman competing is a real positive as well.
Biq

I have heard the same thing.