PDA

View Full Version : A look back at the 2009 recruiting class part 1

UTEopia
03-05-2013, 08:15 AM
I wrote this over a month ago and offered it to the Rivals guys, but it looks like they are not interested so I decided to post it here:

Most of the current seniors were in the 2009 recruiting class, when a PAC 12 invite was not even on the radar. The 2009 class had 25 signees. The highest rated signee in the class was 5* DT James Aiono from Snow College and the highest rated high school signee was 4* DT Latu Heimuli from Highland HS. The class consisted of one 5*, two 4*, fourteen 3*, seven 2* and one unrated player. Of the 25 signees, two never made it to campus (JC’s Maxwell Lacy and Ray McGee), three left after short stints in the program and before really showing what they could do (Eric Dago, Colby Goodwin and Jarrad Stewart), one left after not being able to crack the lineup for meaningful playing time (Jamal Smith ) and two others left to play their senior years elsewhere (Kapua Sai and Nick Marsh). Two saw their football playing careers end before they started by injury (Beau Burton and Chris Washington) and it appears that two more will suffer the same fate after strong starts (Jordan Wynn and Latu Heimuli), So of the 25 signees, only 12 have completed their eligibility at the U.

With the benefit of hindsight, how would that class rate now? Well, here is my take based on my own rating system: 5*- all american candidate and multi year starter; 4* - all conference candidate and multi year starter; 3*- significant contributer for a minimum two years; 2* - career backup and special teams contributor; 1* - mistake.

2009 Class
James Aiono DT (JC) Rivals 5*. While James had a lot of talent as is evident by his sticking on an NFL roster, he did not see the field as a full-time starter in either of his two years at Utah. It is hard to call James a bust as he did provide some depth at DT, but he cannot be rated more then a 2*.

Conroy Black CB (JC) Rivals 3*. After taking a redshirt year to acclimate, Conroy became a 2 year starter at CB. Solid 3*

Beau Burton RB (HS) Rivals 2*. Although Beau did not get a real chance to prove himself because of injury, it appears from what we did see that he would have been a 2* at most.

Terrance Cain QB (JC) Rivals 4*. Terrance was a starter for the first 8 games of his junior year and then a periodic starter his senior year. Terrance had an impressive winning record as a starter, but was never an all conference caliber player and was not a full-time starter for two years. Nonetheless, I would rate him a 3* for his contributions were significant over a two year period.

Eric Dago DE (HS) Rivals 2*. Dago was built in the mold of Trevor Reilly, but did not seem to thrive at Utah and left after two years. Whether he could have exceeded his Rivals 2* rating is doubtful but unknown.

LT Filiaga LB (HS) Rivals 3*. One of the higher profile recruits from the state of Utah in 2009, LT has played just one year since returning from an LDS mission. He still has time to establish himself.

Colby Goodwin TE (HS) Rivals 2*. Left Utah after one or two months. Certainly a bust. Whether he had talent sufficient to start at Utah is doubtful but unknown.

Latu Heimuli DT (HS) Rivals 4*. The jewel of the 2009 high school class, Latu has had recurring injury issues that has prevented him from performing at a high level. It appears that his football career might be over. I don’t believe Latu was overrated, but he certainly did not live up to a 4* rating and can only be considered a 2*.

Vyncent Jones OL (HS) Rivals 3*. With his senior year still ahead of him, Jones has already proven himself to be a valuable back-up and part-time starter for the past two years. He will likely solidify himself as solid 3* recruit this coming year. Having said this, I believe Jones has outplayed his physical talent due to hard work and a no quit attitude.

Nick Marsh PK (HS) Rivals 2*. Nick got himself in some trouble upon arriving at Utah and while his strong leg has helped Utah excel at kickoff coverage, his erratic field goal kicking resulted in him never making a significant mark. Marsh has likely played his last game at Utah and will go somewhere else for his senior year. 2*

Kapua Sai OL (HS) Rivals 2*. After being unable to crack the lineup, Kapua transferred to Hawaii for his senior year. His 2* rating was accurate.

Jamal Smith WR (HS) Rivals 3*. Mally could never get on the field at WR or DB and transferred to Sacramento State. It is amazing that he could play at any level with eye sight in only one eye. Probably a 1*.

Shaky Smithson WR (JC) Rivals 3*. Shaky undoubtedly provided more highlights than any other player in the 2009 class. He was a threat to do something special every time he touched the ball. His success as a returner did not always translate to success as a receiver and as a result, although he was definitely all conference as a returner, he was probably correctly rated a 3*.

Victor Spikes DB (HS) Rivals 2*. Vic is the classic tweener. Not quite fast enough to play safety and not quite big enough to play LB. Vic has never really made it as an every down player, but has made a significant contribution as a special teams player and therefore a 2* is justified.

Jarrad Stewart DB (HS) Rivals 3*. Left after redshirt year and we don’t know whether he could have been a full-time starter as an undersized safety.

Percy (Bot) Taumoelau OL (HS) Rivals 3*. Bot has had every opportunity to establish himself as a starter and on occasion has filled in admirably as a backup. However, he has not shown himself to be a 3*. I suspect that Bot will be a backup again this coming year.

Jeremiah (JT) Tofaeono DT (HS) Rivals 3*. Recruited as a DT, JT was quickly moved to OG where he has struggled to maintain his starting position due to injury and inconsistent play. Although he has one more year, he should probably be considered a 2*

Siosaia (LT) Tuipulotu DT (HS) Rivals 3*. After a redshirt year, LT showed promise as a back-up and possible starter in his freshmen and sophomore seasons. An injury at the end of his sophomore season and increased depth at DT limited his playing time his junior year. LT could move from a 2* to a 3* if he can become a significant contributor on the defensive line this upcoming season.

Chris Washington DB (HS) Rivals 3*. Remember when it was a huge recruiting win to get Chris to sign with the Utes over BYU. Well, that was a long time ago and unfortunately for Chris, we were never able to see what he could do. Chronic shoulder problems caused him to take a medical retirement. From what we did see, my guess is that Chris would have
he would have been a 2*.

Jason Whittingham LB (HS) Rivals 2*. Jason still has three years to show us if he can improve upon this rating.

Jordan Wynn QB (HS) Rivals 3*. After switching his commitment from CU to Utah, graduating early and participating in spring ball, Jordan made a strong showing and had a chance to open the season as the starter. As it turned out, Terrance Cain started the season but was replaced by Jordan in the eighth game as the offense struggled. The highlight of Jordan’s career was the Poinsettia Bowl victory over Cal and I think we all saw what he could do in that game as well as against Iowa State a year later. Repeated shoulder injuries ultimately caused Jordan to hang up the pads. Jordan might have been able to reach the 4* level had he stayed healthy. However, his body of work probably suits him to a 3* rating and leaves Utah fans wondering what might have been.

Kamaron Yancy DB (JC) Rivals 3*. Yancy contributed on special teams and played some at corner, but did not make the type of impact needed of a JC recruit. 2*

Joape Pela DT (JC) Rivals unrated. Joape is a great kid and was a fantastic teammate, but did not have the physical talent to play at Utah. 1*

UTEopia
03-05-2013, 08:16 AM
This is a continuation from Part 1

Other Seniors:

Brian Blechen QB (HS) 2010 Rivals 3*. Recruited as a QB, Blechen was quickly moved to safety because of need and the likely realization that he is not a D1 QB. Blechen quickly established himself as a hard hitter and playmaker. He has continued to have those qualities as a full-time starter the past 3 years and has been considered an all conference caliber player despite regularly being out of position and getting burned in pass coverage. His aggressive play has resulted in some stupid penalties and some bad decisions off-field caused him to miss 3 games in 2012 due to suspension. Blechen needs to grow up this year and be an all star both on and off the field to move up to a 4*.

Quade Chappuis DB (HS) - Walk-on. An undersized DB coming out of HS, Quade has exceeded all expectations by being a key contributor on special teams and a valuable back-up at safety, thereby earning himself a scholarship. Quade is on the cusp of being considered a 3* and could make that move by having a great senior season. However, at this point he is a 2*.

Anthony Denham WR (JC) 2011 Rivals 3*. Even with a redshirt year, Anthony was unable to be a consistent contributor at WR his junior year. He can hopefully use his big body and become a 3* player his senior season.

Sean Fitzgerald WR (HS) - 2006 Rivals 2*. Sean will soon be turning 40. Alright, he isn’t that old, but he was in the same signing class as Zane Taylor, Caleb Schlauderaff and Sly. Like Chris Washington, it was a big deal when Sean chose Utah over BYU. At that time, Utah rarely won a recruiting battle with BYU for an out-of-state LDS athlete. Sean has not made a significant contribution on the field but has always been in the background working hard and pushing those around him to be better. His 2* rating was probably accurate.

Mike Honeycutt DB (HS) 2007 Rivals 2*. Mike has been a steady special teams performer and will probably do the same his senior year. He is a 2* guy through and through and like some others on the list has probably gotten more from his physical abilities then some of the more highly rated players.

Niasi Leota DE (JC) 2011 Rivals 3*. Although early illness and injury delayed his progress, Leota will need to step up big this year if the Utes hope to reestablish themselves as a top defensive team. He will have plenty of opportunity with the head-scratching decision of Joe Kruger to leave early. Currently a 2* and will need huge year to move up.

Keith McGill DB (JC) 2011 Rivals 4*. Keith was going to be the next Robert Johnson only bigger and faster. Well, it didn’t happen his first year and an injury forced a redshirt this past season. Let’s hope that Keith plays something close to his 4* rating. It will take a monster year for him to grade out at a 3*.

Thretton Palamo RB (Rugby) unrated. I think we all hoped that Thretton would turn out to be one of those great stories about a heralded rugby player finding success on the gridiron. If you question his prowess as a rugby player, google him and you will see what I am talking about. Unfortunately, Thretton’s moves with the ball as a rugby player did not translate to running back and he was moved to DE/LB and has not been able to break through there either. Thretton has been a solid contributor on special teams the past two years and is a great kid. 2*?

Tenny Palepoi DT (JC) 2012 Rivals 3*. Flying under the radar during the recruiting season and in the early football season, Tenny ended the year as the second best DT on the team behind Star. He showed ability to stuff the run and move from sideline to sideline. Tenny will need to be the man this year and it will be interesting to see if he can shoulder the load and maintain that 3* rating.

Trevor Reilly DE (TR) Rivals 3*. After signing with Texas Tech out of high school, Trevor joined the Utes after completing an LDS mission. He has been a solid and sometimes spectacular player. He can be a game changer and the Utes will need him at full strength this coming year. With a huge year, Trevor could be an all conference performer. At a minimum, he will leave Utah as 3*.

Westlee Tonga TE (HS) 2007 Rivals 2*. Westlee went straight on an LDS mission and then redshirted his first year back. He has flirted with starting and has seen the field regularly in the TE rotation. He has shown ability as a pass catcher but has struggled with the more physical part of the TE position and that has limited his time. He was probably accurately rated at 2*.

Michael Walker DB (HS) 2010 Rivals 3*. Walker has been a consistent special teams performer and sometimes starter and backup in the defensive backfield his first three years in the program. Undersized at safety and a little too slow at corner, Michael has squeezed all of the talent he possesses to be a reliable 2* performer at Utah.

Kelvin York RB (JC) Rivals 2012 Rivals 4*. I have no doubt that Kelvin has 4* talent. However, due to injuries to himself and the play of John White IV, Kelvin has not had a chance to be the man. He will get that chance this year and the Utes need him to come up big. It is unlikely that Kelvin will achieve a 4* rating at Utah, but he can be a 1200 yard RB next year.

So, what does this all mean. The 2009 signing class and the other outgoing seniors total 38 players. A significant number. It breaks down like this:

Rivals 5* - 1; Career 5* - 0
Rivals 4* - 4; Career 4* - 0
Rivals 3* - 18; Career 3* - 7 have been solid 3* and 7 still have an opportunity to achieve that although in my opinion only 2 have a real chance to do so. The remaining 4 either left the program (2) or are more accurately rated as 2*.
Rivals 2* - 10; Career 2* - 5; 5 left the team for one reason or another.
Unrated or Walk-on - 3; Career 2* and 1*.

Utah had one 5* and four 4* recruits in the 2009 class and the group of seniors to be. None has achieved that rating and a couple have fallen significantly. Of the 18 rated as 3*, only seven have validated that rating so far although there are several who could move there with a strong senior season and some returning missionaries who have several years to make their mark. The 2* players have shown themselves to be rated accurately and we do not have any surprises like Eric Weddle and Alex Smith who went from 2* rated players to 4* and 5*.

The most disappointing factor is the number of scholarships that were wasted on players who did not do anything at Utah. Of the twentyfive 2009 signees, 7 left the program without making a positive contribution. A close second is the number of JC recruits who simply have not made an impact in two years. These players are recruited to fill specific and immediate needs and when they don’t, younger players are forced into action before they might be physically or mentally ready.

For the Utes to move to the next level (consistently above .500 in conference) they will need to do a better job of evaluating JC talent to fill immediate needs and increase the productivity of 3* recruits. Utah is not going to consistently sign 4* and 5* athletes and will need to do more with less. There will always be attrition, but the Utes need to move the attrition from players who never contribute and leave to those who battle but are unable to move up the depth chart and then leave. It is understandable that a player like Jamal Smith or Kapua Sai would leave after making every effort to get on the field. It is more difficult to waste a scholarship and an initial on guys like Colby Goodwin, Jarrad Stewart and Eric Dago. Utah cannot afford as many of those kinds of misses and still be competitive.

UBlender
03-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Well, I don't know what all this says about recruiting (aside from your own stated conclusions), but it does make me a little excited about the opportunity that Utah has to put something together for 2014. The 2013 senior class has some solid contributors, but we are looking at starting about 3-4 seniors on offense (York, Jones, maybe Bot or JT, maybe Denham) and about that many on defense (Reilly, Tenny, Blechen, maybe McGill, maybe LT).

There are some solid guys who will be missed after this season but all in all it's not a very star-studded senior class. Overall, the losses due to graduation should be minimal and there should be a lot to build around heading into 2014 (with the caveat that many of the younger players in the program need to step up now), especially if Utah can keep an offensive system and playcaller in place for consecutive years for the first time since ever. If Utah can grind out a bowl game somehow in 2013 then there is a chance to make some sort of leap heading into 2014.

SgtUte
03-05-2013, 09:06 AM
I'd say he's less than 1*. Wasn't he just dismissed from the team for beating the hell out of his wife??

Smileyguy1
03-05-2013, 09:56 AM
I'd say he's less than 1*. Wasn't he just dismissed from the team for beating the hell out of his wife??

Exactly, i will say that in addition to being highly disappointed in this guy i feel the school handled it well.

Jarid in Cedar
03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
I merged the two threads so that Uteopia's thoughts are continuous as intended.

UTEopia
03-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks for hooking those together. You are right on Leota. As I indicated above, I wrote this a month ago before this stuff all broke.

Applejack
03-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks for this. This thread should be exhibit A about why following recruiting is a fool's errand-an errand that I can't quit. I was over-the-moon about (1) Heimuli (2) McGill and (3) Washington. Now I'm hoping we get a single one-year starter out of the bunch.

SoCalCoug
03-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Does this mean we (i.e., BYU) really did win the February championship in 2009?

Scorcho
03-06-2013, 10:28 AM
here are a few of the names from the 2010 class for Utah:

- Dres Anderson
- Brian Blechen
- V.J. Feheko
- John Cullen
- Joe Kruger
- Star L.
- Kenneth Scott

2008 class
- Devonte Christopher
- Dave Kruger
- Shakerin
- David Reed

2009 was a cruel mistress.

SoCalPat
03-06-2013, 04:27 PM
This is a good recap, although the star ratings assigned to their playing careers seem wildly inconsistent. The best example I can cite is giving both Vyncent Jones and Shaky Smithson 3 stars. That's patently absurd -- Shaky is one of 15 All-Americans in program history. Jones will likely never be all-conference.

My ratings would be as such, using a combination of the following:

5-star: Multiple all-conference selections, future NFL draft pick

4-star: All-conference at least once, preferably as a senior, fringe NFL future. This is where Shaky would be. If he were an All-American on offense or defense, he'd easily be a 5-star.

3-star: Multiple-year starter, honorable mention all-league

2-star: Multiple-year letter winner, ocassional starter or projected multiple-year letter winner without injuries

1-star: Never lettered, never suited up, etc.

UTEopia
03-06-2013, 10:19 PM
4-star: All-conference at least once, preferably as a senior, fringe NFL future. This is where Shaky would be. If he were an All-American on offense or defense, he'd easily be a 5-star.

I have no problem with that and upon reflection you are probably right.

Applejack
03-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Does this mean we (i.e., BYU) really did win the February championship in 2009?

Absolutely. Isn't 2009 the year you picked up Van Noy & Hoffman?

wally
03-07-2013, 08:39 AM
This is a good recap, although the star ratings assigned to their playing careers seem wildly inconsistent. The best example I can cite is giving both Vyncent Jones and Shaky Smithson 3 stars. That's patently absurd -- Shaky is one of 15 All-Americans in program history. Jones will likely never be all-conference.

Speaking of Shaky Smithson, whatever happened to his his younger brother Anthony? I thought he signed with Navy, but google cannot find him for me. Did Utah try to get him very hard?

Jarid in Cedar
03-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Speaking of Shaky Smithson, whatever happened to his his younger brother Anthony? I thought he signed with Navy, but google cannot find him for me. Did Utah try to get him very hard?

He did sign with Navy. And Utah did not pursue him to any real degree.

SoCalCoug
03-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Absolutely. Isn't 2009 the year you picked up Van Noy & Hoffman?

Woo hoo! WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!

I think they both were 2009 signees - Van Noy greyshirted and Hoffman redshirted.