PDA

View Full Version : How long before Utah wins the PAC 12?

Tacoma Ute
03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
How close are we? Will we ever win it or is it just to hard to recruit against the big boys?

Jarid in Cedar
03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
I would change your question a little. I would ask how frequently will be win the conference. My answer to that is about once a decade. Where I want to be in the near future is consistently challenging for the division title. Accomplish that, and the conference crown will eventually be achieved.

UteBeliever aka Port
03-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I would change your question a little. I would ask how frequently will be win the conference. My answer to that is about once a decade. Where I want to be in the near future is consistently challenging for the division title. Accomplish that, and the conference crown will eventually be achieved.

I think once a decade might be a reasonable expectation/goal once we are up to speed.

The question, in my mind, is when do we "catch up" to the rest of the conference in terms of coaching and recruiting? Is that even possible and what does it mean?

Maybe the better question is when do we actually settle in to a comfortable position in the conference? There are just so many moving parts right now that we weren't dealing with in the MWC or WAC.

It is, I suppose, a bit analogous to a QB moving from a simple HS offense to a complex college offense. It takes time to adjust to playing in a different level.

My biggest question is when does Utah get adjusted to playing at this new, higher level? From that point, I'd say once in 10 years might happen.

So, when do we get adjusted to the new level of competition? We are building facilities, but Oregon and others have already announced they are upping that ante. Our football facility might be the nicest....for a year...maybe 2. The locker rooms in the stadium are still abysmal compared to other schools.

I guess I don't see the influx of cash from donors that is going to make our transition with facilities and coaching quick. It's going to take years...maybe even a decade or more of slowly trying draw even with even the middle of the PAC12 before we actually rest comfortably in that position in regards to facilities and coaching. By then, the stadium will be 25-30 years old and will need some attention itself....

I think we'll win a PAC12 championship in my lifetime....if I live to an average life expectancy, but I think we've missed our chance to catch lightning in a bottle.

Utah
03-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Idealy, I would say that I want the Utes to win a conference title twice a decade (once every 4-5 years with senior heavy classes), and compete for something special once a decade. That would be a dream come true.

Every 10 years have two PAC-12 championship appearances, one Rose Bowl appearances, and one season where we are in the running for a NC.

Probably won't happen, but that would be a dream come true.

That means Utah will have to have two special QB's every 10 years.

Sheik Yerbouti
03-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Minimum 4 years from now. Need to still cycle through our MWC recruits.