PDA

View Full Version : Sending children on a mission

arizonaute
03-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Son just turned 18 and 7 days later got his call. He will finish high school on May 24th and enter the Provo mtc June 5th. He is headed to Chile Orsorno. I am not feeling overtly sad or glad right now. Proud of him for being able and wanting to go. He is pretty excited.

LA Ute
03-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Wow, that seems so quick - but I went the fall after I graduated, way back when, and that worked out perfectly for me.

LA Ute
03-06-2013, 06:55 PM
Son just turned 18 and 7 days later got his call. He will finish high school on May 24th and enter the Provo mtc June 5th. He is headed to Chile Orsorno. I am not feeling overtly sad or glad right now. Proud of him for being able and wanting to go. He is pretty excited.

And congrats!

San Diego Ute Fan
03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
That's great! I left for mine 6 months after HS. Sooner is better.

wuapinmon
03-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Don't worry about the lad in Chile. It's a fabulous place full of good people.

Dawminator
03-06-2013, 08:11 PM
I went into the MTC in June of 03, several weeks after graduation. If I could do it, I am sure your son will be fine.

stretchiute
03-06-2013, 09:00 PM
My in-laws, who happen to be visiting us in Gilbert, were the mission President(s) in Osorno 2008-11. They are super cool and if he wants to chat to them, I'm sure they would be up for it.

Message me if interested. Also, we know 5-6 recently returned missionaries from that mission who live in Mesa-Gilbert if you guys have questions

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

arizonaute
03-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I graduated HS in may and was in the MTC in Oct. I think it is great he is leaving soon. Get on with it and when he gets back can start right into summer school. For only the price on a small suv you too can have your son go on a life altering journey for two years : )

GarthUte
03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Our oldest son needs to get his wisdom teeth removed and he'll be ready to submit everything to Church HQ and wait to receive his call. He graduates high school June 6th.

He has a friend who is currently serving in the Orsorno Mission, but I can't remember his last name. I'll ask my son when he gets home a bit later this afternoon and post the name.

LA Ute
03-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Our oldest son needs to get his wisdom teeth removed and he'll be ready to submit everything to Church HQ and wait to receive his call. He graduates high school June 6th.

Cool. Very exciting, GU. Congrats!

FountainOfUte
03-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I have an August birthday and was 17 when I graduated from HS. So I had 15 months to kill before I was old enough to go on a mission. So I worked two summers and got a full year in at the U.

The upside was getting a taste of college and knowing what I was getting into when I got home. I don't know if it would be a shock to go from HS courses to no school for two years then diving into a university curriculum -- as well as staring down a full four years at 20 years old. I was glad not to be starting from scratch at the U when I got home.

The downside was that it that was a long time to wait. I was a straight-laced kid, not into the party scene, but 15 months to wait for a mission could be a long time for a kid with wilder streak. It was such a long wait. There were guys I graduated with who were halfway done with their missions before I even entered the MTC. Back then I thought the rule should be 19 or a year out of HS. Aside from the money I earned in my last summer, the time after my first year at the U was sort of just a waste and killing time. Also, by the time my mission finally came, I had had enough of a taste of college life that I was already excited for my post-mission life. I don't think that affected me much until I was in an area in my last six months where I got to serve on the campus of Yale. Walking among the students, particularly the females my age, I started setting my eyes on the notion of being back in college by the next fall.

With all of that said, even at 19, I was sort of immature. Not like in some punk way, but more like in the sense that I was a young innocent kid. Again, that was at 19. If I had gone at 18, I would have just been a baby. In my own case, I think that one more year of growing up helped me and the year of college opened me up to the world a *little* bit in a way that was helpful. I worry that these 18 year olds are SO sheltered that it's harmful. A year at the U surrounded by students and professors who did not share my beliefs was very different than my upbringing in suburban SLC where my high school was probably 80% LDS.

arizonaute
03-13-2013, 11:53 AM
I have learned that sometimes you have to badger your son to send back his acceptance letter.

arizonaute
03-19-2013, 06:52 PM
finally have the bishops signature on it and in the mail. : )

arizonaute
04-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Papers sent to travel office. Will be sending him from Sky Harbor. Wife sent a list of dates and times for his talk, ordinations and temple appointment. Bishop wrote back "sounds good" ( dont tell me women dont run the church : ) )

Scorcho
04-26-2013, 03:10 PM
My wife was talking to her close friend in Layton, Utah a few weeks ago. An 18 year old male in her ward had recieved his mission call and was scheduled to speak at his farewell the next Sunday, but instead his family was planning his funeral. He took his own life, apparently the pressure of going on a mission was too overwhelming. Tragic story!

I understand that most 18 year olds are probably ready to go, but there are a few that might need some extra time. I see a lot of pressure being put on some of these young men. Too much pressure in some cases. I think sometimes we should back off a little bit.

LA Ute
04-26-2013, 08:03 PM
That's horrible, Scorcho. My heart goes out to that family.

Scorcho
04-26-2013, 08:50 PM
That's horrible, Scorcho. My heart goes out to that family.

we have a couple of 18-19 year olds in our ward that got caught right in the middle of the mission age change last fall. One just left to England a month ago. The other turns 19 in July. I feel bad for the kid, because I'm not positive he wants to go, or isn't quite ready right now. At church, he gets bombarded with people asking him if he's turned his papers in yet, where he wants to go, etc. I am just as quilty as I find myself doing the same thing when I'm speaking to him, and I overheard my wife telling him he will make a great missionary. Nothing wrong with encouraging them, but we should probably be as interested in other parts of their lives as well. I'm probably saying this for my own benefit more so than anyone else.

USS Utah
04-27-2013, 10:02 AM
Too often we do a lousy job of preparing people to serve missions. I was very fortunate to spend the eight months between graduation and my mission in an excellent missionary prep program in my stake. Most don't have such an opportunity and arrive in the MTC unprepared, and many leave. A suicide is even more tragic. We seem to be in such a hurry all the time, and we pressure other people to be in a hurry; "Hurry up and get married", "Hurry up and have kids." That we are now saying "Hurry up and go on a mission" is disheartening. We should be helping those who wish to serve to prepare, we should prepare them to serve for the right reasons, and now we should help them determine when they are ready. Anyway, that's why I started this blog (link):

http://thewholemissionary.blogspot.com/

OceanBlue
04-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Our Ward just had a young female missionary go home to Utah after a month in the field. I hope my son goes on a mission but I hope it is because of his desire not mine. If he wants to wait I am ok with that.

We have a young man in our ward that did not go when everyone expected him to go. Fast forward three years he surprised everyone and is now going on a mission and is happy and omfortable with his choice.

arizonaute
04-28-2013, 10:34 PM
A mission should not make someone feel like that.

arizonaute
04-28-2013, 10:42 PM
I agree with the premise that some shouldn't. There are a couple in my ward I am wondering about.

My son has been going to mission prep for a year and a half with really good instructors. I told him many times including right before he opened his call (with family in the other room), you open this there is not turning back. You need to make sure YOU want to be in the mission field before you see where you are going. He is a good kid and will adjust and do well I believe. He is not an office seeker and will just try and work. At least I think so.

Scorcho
04-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Too often we do a lousy job of preparing people to serve missions. I was very fortunate to spend the eight months between graduation and my mission in an excellent missionary prep program in my stake. Most don't have such an opportunity and arrive in the MTC unprepared, and many leave. A suicide is even more tragic. We seem to be in such a hurry all the time, and we pressure other people to be in a hurry; "Hurry up and get married", "Hurry up and have kids." That we are now saying "Hurry up and go on a mission" is disheartening. We should be helping those who wish to serve to prepare, we should prepare them to serve for the right reasons, and now we should help them determine when they are ready. Anyway, that's why I started this blog (link):

http://thewholemissionary.blogspot.com/

great blog

USS Utah
04-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks.

arizonaute
05-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Temple and farewall talk in the books. Eight days and he flies to provo.

arizonaute
06-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Friends farewell party is out of the way. Tommorow is neighbors can come by. Four days and he is on a jet plane.

Jarid in Cedar
06-02-2013, 12:53 AM
Arizonaute, Good luck to your family. Exciting times.

LA Ute
06-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Exciting and happily intense times, Arizonaute. Enjoy!

Ma'ake
06-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Exciting and happily intense times, Arizonaute. Enjoy!

Even though I'm (at best) considered an inactive Mormon, I have a son who just got back from a mission, and I think it's a great thing - the willingness to serve, the experience, the work, and just making the sacrifice for something that's bigger than yourself.

The MTC is pretty intense, heavy duty preparation, and there are some kids that have a tough time and may not be able to fulfill their mission. I've known a couple of kids who came down with anxiety in the MTC.

But I have some inside knowledge on Arizona Ute and his family, and I have no doubt his son will be just fine. (And if for whatever reason it's not the right thing for him, he'd be fine in that situation, too. I've been very impressed with the support these kids get. One of the kids I know who didn't get through the MTC is doing really well, in fact is at BYU. There can be a lot of pressure, it's nice to see kids land on their feet no matter what journey they've taken.)

Nice work down there in AZ, Arizona Ute!! You guys have every reason to be proud! He's a great kid, with his head screwed
on straight. Pretty darn good parenting. :)

GarthUte
06-02-2013, 01:55 PM
You're son's already home, Ma'ake? Wow. Time flies.

Applejack
06-02-2013, 02:02 PM
Even though I'm (at best) considered an inactive Mormon, I have a son who just got back from a mission, and I think it's a great thing - the willingness to serve, the experience, the work, and just making the sacrifice for something that's bigger than yourself.

The MTC is pretty intense, heavy duty preparation, and there are some kids that have a tough time and may not be able to fulfill their mission. I've known a couple of kids who came down with anxiety in the MTC.

But I have some inside knowledge on Arizona Ute and his family, and I have no doubt his son will be just fine. (And if for whatever reason it's not the right thing for him, he'd be fine in that situation, too. I've been very impressed with the support these kids get. One of the kids I know who didn't get through the MTC is doing really well, in fact is at BYU. There can be a lot of pressure, it's nice to see kids land on their feet no matter what journey they've taken.)

Nice work down there in AZ, Arizona Ute!! You guys have every reason to be proud! He's a great kid, with his head screwed
on straight. Pretty darn good parenting. :)

I have a co-worker (non-LDS) who has told me that he wishes he could send his boys on missions. He thinks the U.S. should require every able-bodied 19 year old to take a two-year mission of some sort - religious, peace corps, teach for America, military, etc. Not a bad idea.

Ma'ake
06-02-2013, 09:41 PM
I have a co-worker (non-LDS) who has told me that he wishes he could send his boys on missions. He thinks the U.S. should require every able-bodied 19 year old to take a two-year mission of some sort - religious, peace corps, teach for America, military, etc. Not a bad idea.

I completely agree. Having kids do service of different kinds as an obligation for their nation, religion, helping the poor in other nations, etc, would propel us forward as a nation. The sense of cohesion, of how you can make a difference in a bigger context, and get some discipline along the way, are really needed among our youth, and give us leaders in the future who are more grounded, less prone to shenanigans, and maybe better to work together for the betterment of their children.

Mormon Red Death
06-03-2013, 06:12 AM

I'm for it especially since I am past that age and don't have to do it anymore.

arizonaute
06-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Neighbor open house is done. He had his final interview with stake president last night ( sort a last chance to get whatever out of the way that needs i guess. ) It took five minutes. Tonight is family only time and tommorow night at 8 he gets set apart. Five AM on Wed we leave our house for the 10 minute drive to the airport. My brother and sister are going to pick him up and take him to lunch and then drop him off. We did get to have a google hangout with other uncles and aunts and my parents who are on a mission in Uraguay. I think he is finally ready to get on with it.

arizonaute
06-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the well wishes. It is an exciting time. I am really interested to see how he deals with everything. Also David Archuleta is in his mission and his female cousins are very interested for the boy to meet him . They have all said they hope he gets to be companions so they girls can meet him someday. :)

Sullyute
06-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Also David Archuleta is in his mission and his female cousins are very interested for the boy to meet him . They have all said they hope he gets to be companions so they girls can meet him someday. : )

:rofl: Sounds like he may have a good pickup line when he gets home. Congratulations to you and your son. I like all your updates. Keep them coming.

arizonaute
06-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Sent him off this morning. My brother was texting me the controller audio while he was waiting to pick him up. They were going to have some lunch and then be dropped off in Provo. Did not get emotional at all until i went to dearelder.com and sent him a note hoping he would get some mail today or tommrow. For a brief time I sat and stared at my screen and wondered if i had done enough. Did I give him enough to make him strong enough to make it. I just sent him this :

Hope this finds you well. I am very proud of the person you are becoming. Missionary work is actual work. Keep you ears
and heart open and do not be afraid to try. Always remember that no matter what happens you have a family that loves you ALOT. Dad

LA Ute
06-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Sent him off this morning. My brother was texting me the controller audio while he was waiting to pick him up. They were going to have some lunch and then be dropped off in Provo. Did not get emotional at all until i went to dearelder.com and sent him a note hoping he would get some mail today or tommrow. For a brief time I sat and stared at my screen and wondered if i had done enough. Did I give him enough to make him strong enough to make it. I just sent him this :

Hope this finds you well. I am very proud of the person you are becoming. Missionary work is actual work. Keep you ears
and heart open and do not be afraid to try. Always remember that no matter what happens you have a family that loves you ALOT. Dad

I've been there, arizonaute. Such a feeling of uprooting, separation, and hope, combined with intense pride! He's lucky to have you as his dad. Enjoy!

arizonaute
06-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Almost two weeks in. Received one letter and a couple of short emails. He likes his MTC comp and he said he likes the food. ( I think he likes having cereal and milk as we don't in house). He has seen his cousin at the big devotional at the Marriott center. He then said he felt uncomfortable about being around all the byu blue there. He is already starting to Spanglish a bit in his emails. So far so good.

arizonaute
07-15-2013, 12:32 PM
He should be getting on a plane around noon 30 and is going to Dallas , A 4 hour layover then on to Santiago . Switch planes and get to Orsorno sometime in the later morning tomorrow. On a side note, getting them in the mtc and paying for bags and supplies is a lot more than I had thought. I look forward the money windfall that comes with just paying the monthly cost. :)

chrisrenrut
07-15-2013, 01:03 PM
He should be getting on a plane around noon 30 and is going to Dallas , A 4 hour layover then on to Santiago . Switch planes and get to Orsorno sometime in the later morning tomorrow. On a side note, getting them in the mtc and paying for bags and supplies is a lot more than I had thought. I look forward the money windfall that comes with just paying the monthly cost. :)

What is the monthly cost up to these days, if you don't mind me asking? It's been over 10 years since my step-son got home, and over 7 years since I was a ward financial clerk. If I had to guess, I would say $450/month?

LA Ute
07-15-2013, 01:09 PM
What is the monthly cost up to these days, if you don't mind me asking? It's been over 10 years since my step-son got home, and over 7 years since I was a ward financial clerk. If I had to guess, I would say $450/month?

Still $400, AFAIK.

arizonaute
07-15-2013, 05:31 PM
yep $400. I pay $200 each paycheck to make it easier to keep up. its all the extra shots, bags, books, baggage charges, and treat requests.

mUUser
07-15-2013, 05:41 PM
I saw some missionaries in the dfw international terminal today. In fact with a 4 hour layover he's prob still here. Gate D22?

arizonaute
07-15-2013, 07:41 PM
if you saw a strapping blonde haired lad talking to his mom on the phone for a bit then yes.

arizonaute
07-23-2013, 01:30 AM
First email from the field. He is in a town south of Orsorno. His companion is from Gilbert, AZ and knows some people in common with the boy. He sounds upbeat. He is also in the branch presidency as well. That should be fun for him.

stretchiute
07-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Arizonaute

So great. My in-laws speak of their missionaries in Osorno like their own children. They always have missionaries over at the house. I wish your son the best. I apologize that we were not able to touch base before he left. They are leaving on another mission in January working with missionaries in Span, we are excited to visit!

arizonaute
07-24-2013, 01:30 AM
Thanks. I had good intentions to get in touch with them but time just flew by.

Katy Lied
07-24-2013, 10:35 AM
Really enjoy reading this thread.

GarthUte
07-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Our oldest son, Skyler, received his mission call today. He'll be serving in the Florida Tallahassee Mission. He goes into the MTC in October.

He's pretty excited about it. One of his best friends in our ward, a young woman, is serving in the same mission. She entered the MTC today.

Jarid in Cedar
07-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Congrats to him, Garth.

GarthUte
07-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Congrats to him, Garth.

Thanks, JiC. I'll pass the congrats along to him.

Jarid in Cedar
07-24-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks, JiC. I'll pass the congrats along to him.

And congrats/condolances to you and the misses.

Sullyute
07-24-2013, 11:30 PM
Our oldest son, Skyler, received his mission call today. He'll be serving in the Florida Tallahassee Mission. He goes into the MTC in October.

He's pretty excited about it. One of his best friends in our ward, a young woman, is serving in the same mission. She entered the MTC today.

That is great news! He will get there right as hurricane season is coming to an end. I hope you send him with lots of ute gear to wear on p-days.

arizonaute
07-27-2013, 10:25 PM
congrats to spawn of Garth

mUUser
07-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Maybe if you pray hard enough it'll be a Braves-O's world series in 2015, and you can make the appropriate detour when you pick him up.

LA Ute
07-31-2013, 12:46 PM

I have commented elsewhere on the awesomeness of this news. I will repeat those feelings here!

Blueintheface
08-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Congrats, Garth.

arizonaute
08-13-2013, 03:37 PM
one month in the field. He is south of Osorno in a town called Freisa ( spelling might be wrong). In the branch presidency . Got to teach a lesson and give a talk back to back. ( I taught classes a lot and spoke once a month for most of my mission). It rains a lot.

arizonaute
08-27-2013, 12:29 AM
splits can take you to cool places

I cant figure out how to size it down so mods can delete if this is too big

LA Ute
08-27-2013, 07:42 AM
splits can take you to cool places

I cant figure out how to size it down so mods can delete if this is too big

Looks perfect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

tooblue
10-11-2013, 08:37 PM
On Monday we send our oldest son to the MTC in Utah. His grand parents will pick him up and spend all day Tuesday with him hanging out with uncles, aunts and cousins. Six weeks from Wednesday he will head to the Italy, Milan mission. He will be a great missionary and is definitely ready to go. But he is a bit of an emotional wreck right now. He is and has always been a very social kid. A week ago he worked his last shift. Last Sunday we had an Open House for him. This week has been hectic with errands. Regardless, he has managed to fill each night with friends and activities. But it all came to a head tonight.

It's Thanks Giving weekend here. Tonight, we went to dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant as a family. Afterwards he desperately wanted to go see his "last movie for two years." His parents and younger brothers are exhausted. Non of his friends are available because of the holiday weekend. We have a lot of family coming over the next couple of days on top of turkey and all the trimmings. But I fear it won't be enough. He just wants to get gone. Pray for us. :-)

UBlender
10-11-2013, 09:27 PM
On Monday we send our oldest son to the MTC in Utah. His grand parents will pick him up and spend all day Tuesday with him hanging out with uncles, aunts and cousins. Six weeks from Wednesday he will head to the Italy, Milan mission. He will be a great missionary and is definitely ready to go. But he is a bit of an emotional wreck right now. He is and has always been a very social kid. A week ago he worked his last shift. Last Sunday we had an Open House for him. This week has been hectic with errands. Regardless, he has managed to fill each night with friends and activities. But it all came to a head tonight.

It's Thanks Giving weekend here. Tonight, we went to dinner at a lovely Italian restaurant as a family. Afterwards he desperately wanted to go see his "last movie for two years." His parents and younger brothers are exhausted. Non of his friends are available because of the holiday weekend. We have a lot of family coming over the next couple of days on top of turkey and all the trimmings. But I fear it won't be enough. He just wants to get gone. Pray for us. :-)

My sister served in that mission about 15 years ago. As I'm sure you and your son are aware, he probably needs to go in with the perspective that he won't be seeing a lot of the people he teaches get baptized. As long as he can keep his head up through a lot of rejection he'll love it.

tooblue
10-12-2013, 08:54 AM
My sister served in that mission about 15 years ago. As I'm sure you and your son are aware, he probably needs to go in with the perspective that he won't be seeing a lot of the people he teaches get baptized. As long as he can keep his head up through a lot of rejection he'll love it.

He is excited. We are excited for him. The anticipation of starting a new chapter in his life is a little overwhelming. I remember feeling that way too. Both my wife and I served our missions in France. We have done our best to prepare him for the rejection. But there is only so much you can say except work hard and be faithful.

arizonaute
10-15-2013, 06:03 PM
The boy got a new comp. He is from Santiago, Chile. A couple of weeks ago he was a bit frustrated and I sent him a letter that said "welcome to missionary work" : ) . He is excited to have a native speaking comp. Should help his Spanish.

LA Ute
10-15-2013, 06:34 PM
The boy got a new comp. He is from Santiago, Chile. A couple of weeks ago he was a bit frustrated and I sent him a letter that said "welcome to missionary work" : ) . He is excited to have a native speaking comp. Should help his Spanish.

It will. Much of the best Spanish I learned came in my final three months when I had a native Guatemalan companion. (He went on to become a mission president. Great guy.)

Diehard Ute
10-15-2013, 06:42 PM

As a non LDS person it took me a bit to figure out why getting a new computer would help....and why a computer spoke a native language. ;)

LA Ute
10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
As a non LDS person it took me a bit to figure out why getting a new computer would help....and why a computer spoke a native language. ;)

Rats. Another one is starting to crack the code. What now? ;)

Diehard Ute
10-15-2013, 07:05 PM
Rats. Another one is starting to crack the code. What now? ;)

I've known for some time. 36 years and they still ring my doorbell....

arizonaute
10-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Sorry DU sometimes I slang when I shouldn't.

Sullyute
10-16-2013, 04:39 PM

Well your nephew is going to the third best mission in the world, behind Rome and Catania (hat tip to Garthute). Milan is less Italian and more European than missions farther south (more industrial and less poverty) but he will love it.

Make sure that he takes advantage of every p-day to see something awesome, including soccer games. I went to a world cup qualifying match between Italia and England. It was absolutely crazy and a memory I will never forget. Lots of fantastic art museums. Lots of topless ladies on billboards.

He will have little "success" but will grow a lot as a person and will love the people. Congrats to your nephew and "in bocca al lupo!"

GarthUte
10-16-2013, 07:14 PM
We took our oldest son to the MTC today. The six of us spent about an hour wandering around the Provo Temple grounds as a family. It was a perfect day for some photos to record the last few minutes with him before he heads off to Florida. We then drove to the MTC. After unloading his luggage and the happy but tearful goodbye hugs, five of us got back in the vehicle to go home. It was surreal driving away after dropping him off, knowing that we won't see him again for two years.

It was a rather emotional experience; one that I've not been through as a parent. I'm proud of him for making the decision to serve, but I'm really going to miss him.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Garth7664/d03032ff-a16c-49c7-b600-98e556e9f2b0_zps7194cdce.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Garth7664/dacdcb3b-56a4-4245-8ae8-c974c6579208_zps03eb262f.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Garth7664/8030c4da-350c-4ff4-95b9-b10735b4f638_zps60e9bd49.jpg

LA Ute
10-16-2013, 07:23 PM
We took our oldest son to the MTC today. The six of us spent about an hour wandering around the Provo Temple grounds as a family. It was a perfect day for some photos to record the last few minutes with him before he heads off to Florida. We then drove to the MTC. After unloading his luggage and the happy but tearful goodbye hugs, five of us got back in the vehicle to go home. It was surreal driving away after dropping him off, knowing that we won't see him again for two years.

It was a rather emotional experience; one that I've not been through as a parent. I'm proud of him for making the decision to serve, but I'm really going to miss him.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Garth7664/d03032ff-a16c-49c7-b600-98e556e9f2b0_zps7194cdce.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Garth7664/dacdcb3b-56a4-4245-8ae8-c974c6579208_zps03eb262f.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g117/Garth7664/8030c4da-350c-4ff4-95b9-b10735b4f638_zps60e9bd49.jpg

It is a tough moment to realize two years will pass. If you're like me it will get easier after a month or two. For me the first 6 weeks or so were really hard.

DrumNFeather
10-16-2013, 08:25 PM
All the best Garth, I'm sure he will be great!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Sullyute
10-16-2013, 09:35 PM
Great pics Garth. He will leave a boy and come back a young man. Best of luck to him and your family.

RC Vikings
10-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Good luck Garth. It's tough to see them go.

arizonaute
11-11-2013, 11:18 AM
We are 5 months in. He is in the same place Fresia since he got there ( 3 months). He is on his second companion. This morning he sent a note asking about sports teams. First time he has asked about things going on at home. It reminded me I have not sent him a note in a few weeks as I usually cover that ground for him. We were able to make a short video using a webcam and each one of the kids got a minute to talk. Electronic correspondence is pretty cool.

Sullyute
11-11-2013, 12:18 PM
We are 5 months in. He is in the same place Fresia since he got there ( 3 months). He is on his second companion. This morning he sent a note asking about sports teams. First time he has asked about things going on at home. It reminded me I have not sent him a note in a few weeks as I usually cover that ground for him. We were able to make a short video using a webcam and each one of the kids got a minute to talk. Electronic correspondence is pretty cool.

A video is a great idea. I would have loved something like that when I was on my mission.

I remember when I tried to make a tape for my parents while on my mission. It tooks about three weeks to finally fill up the tape (it is harder than you think to do an interesting monologue for 90 minutes). About the same time that I got it finished I got a call from the mission president saying that my family was worried because they had not received a letter from me in several weeks. I had to sheepishly explain that I was trying to make a tape and so I didn't write during that time but I was sending off the tape right away. He thanked me for the explaination but told me going forward that I need to write even if I was making a tape so that my family knew what was going on.

So now a days using your phone or ipad to make a video for the missionary or vice-versa would be very simple and fun for both. Hey look son, we painted your room pink for your sister to use while you were gone!

USS Utah
11-11-2013, 12:44 PM
A video is a great idea. I would have loved something like that when I was on my mission.

I remember when I tried to make a tape for my parents while on my mission. It tooks about three weeks to finally fill up the tape (it is harder than you think to do an interesting monologue for 90 minutes). About the same time that I got it finished I got a call from the mission president saying that my family was worried because they had not received a letter from me in several weeks. I had to sheepishly explain that I was trying to make a tape and so I didn't write during that time but I was sending off the tape right away. He thanked me for the explaination but told me going forward that I need to write even if I was making a tape so that my family knew what was going on.

So now a days using your phone or ipad to make a video for the missionary or vice-versa would be very simple and fun for both. Hey look son, we painted your room pink for your sister to use while you were gone!

I started out as a somewhat prolific writer -- when everything was new and exciting -- but after about a year I started having trouble thinking of things to write home about -- each week seemed just like the last one. I missed writing home one week and soon got letters from my parents chastising me. Well, I fired right back, chastising them for the weeks they missed writing me -- my father didn't write a single letter during the entire month of December -- the busiest time of the year at the family business, but still. Naturally, my parents didn't appreciate my response.

But I have to say that several months later, after the World Series earthquake, that I made an even bigger mistake. I didn't call home, because they said on the radio we should stay off the phones to keep them clear for emergency services. That, however, didn't stop my companion, so I asked him to have his parents call mine to tell them we were safe and sound, unfortunately, something got lost in translation, because after the call from my companion's parents, my folks were still unsure if we were safe and sound. I then spent the next week -- the quake happened the day before P-day -- writing a long journal entry with all the details of the quake and its aftermath. Only when I was done with that did I then write a long letter home with most of the info I had put in my journal.

It could have been worse, however. The next transfer I got a new companion, who told me about a problem he had. After the quake he and his flat mates slept in a tent, not just one night like my companion and I did, but for an entire month. But that would have been okay except for the fact he wrote about it in a letter home. Well, his parents called the mission president wanting to know why their son was living in a tent. The mission president then called the tent dwellers and gave them an earfull.

The first lesson, then, is always drop a short note in the mail -- it's email now, of course -- to at least let the folks know you are safe and sound. The second lesson is be careful what you include in your letters, some details they are better off not knowing about.

arizonaute
11-18-2013, 12:09 PM
The boy was notified he is moving to Osorno this week. He said near the mission office. He is also changing his p day to Sat ( this one was new to me). Hopefully it means better internet connection for the Christmas.

arizonaute
12-07-2013, 08:49 PM
an excerpt from his letter today

"So I hit the six month mark in my mission. a quarter of the way done..... that is really sad. This Mission is the best decison I have made in my entire life. I can say that without a single doubt. I may get doors slammed in my face. I may have people make fun of me (happens alot, people make fun of me being a gringo) But I couldn't give two cares because it is a JOY to put on my badge and say to everyone, who will listen:

"Yo sè que yo estoy en la verdad. Yo sè que Jesucristo vive y que su iglesia La Iglesia de Jesucristo de Los Santos de Los Ultimos Dias es la unica iglesia verdadera aqui en la tierra. Yo sè que El Libro de Mormon es la palabra de Dios y que nosotros podemos acercarnos mas a Dios y Jesucristo mediante este Libro."
I would love to say it is easy to work and walk for 6 hours a day but its not but what benefit would it be if it were easy? "

USS Utah
12-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Bump day!

tooblue
12-18-2013, 11:37 AM
He is excited. We are excited for him. The anticipation of starting a new chapter in his life is a little overwhelming. I remember feeling that way too. Both my wife and I served our missions in France. We have done our best to prepare him for the rejection. But there is only so much you can say except work hard and be faithful.

Like Romeo before him my son has been sent to Montova. He is very happy and adjusting well to missionary life. The branch boasts three active families and a handful of other saints who go to church each week. It reminds me a lot of my second area in France where there were only two active members and my companion was the Branch President. It's a small but beautiful part of the world. We are excited for him. Also, it appears his trainer is either from Highland Utah or that he graduated from Highland High school. We will speak to him next week via Skype and get more details obviously. Small, small world.

Sullyute
12-18-2013, 11:48 AM
Tooblue,

We just had a returned missionary from our stake speak this last Sunday. She served in Rome, so I went to talk to her after the meeting. I didn't realize that there are only two missions in Italy now: Milan and Rome. I don't know if there are any places (outside of the large cities) that are not absolutely beautiful in Northern Italy. Hopefully he can take a P-day down to Maranello and view the Ferrari factory and museum.

Mormon Red Death
12-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Like Romeo before him my son has been sent to Montova. He is very happy and adjusting well to missionary life. The branch boasts three active families and a handful of other saints who go to church each week. It reminds me a lot of my second area in France where there were only two active members and my companion was the Branch President. It's a small but beautiful part of the world. We are excited for him. Also, it appears his trainer is either from Highland Utah or that he graduated from Highland High school. We will speak to him next week via Skype and get more details obviously. Small, small world.

Romeo went to Mantua. I don't think they are the same thing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

tooblue
12-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Romeo went to Mantua. I don't think they are the same thing.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

In Italian it is *Mantova. In English it translates to Mantua.

*I keep spelling it incorrectly

GarthUte
12-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Tooblue,

We just had a returned missionary from our stake speak this last Sunday. She served in Rome, so I went to talk to her after the meeting. I didn't realize that there are only two missions in Italy now: Milan and Rome. I don't know if there are any places (outside of the large cities) that are not absolutely beautiful in Northern Italy. Hopefully he can take a P-day down to Maranello and view the Ferrari factory and museum.

Yep, the Church closed the Catania Mission about 6 years ago. It was always smaller in number than Roma and Milano, but I guess the Brethren decided that it was no longer viable. It makes me wonder if the number of missionaries called to Roma has increased significantly because there needs to be about 120 missionaries to cover the cities in the South.

tooblue
12-18-2013, 07:34 PM
In Italian it is *Mantova. In English it translates to Mantua.

*I keep spelling it incorrectly

Mantua (Italian: Mantova [ˈmantova] ( listen); Emilian and Latin: Mantua) is a city and comune in Lombardy, Italy, and capital of the province of the same name. Mantua's historic power and influence under the Gonzaga family made it one of the main artistic, cultural, and especially musical hubs of Northern Italy and the country as a whole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantua

Diehard Ute
12-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Mantua (Italian: Mantova [ˈmantova] ( listen); Emilian and Latin: Mantua) is a city and comune in Lombardy, Italy, and capital of the province of the same name. Mantua's historic power and influence under the Gonzaga family made it one of the main artistic, cultural, and especially musical hubs of Northern Italy and the country as a whole.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantua

Mantua is a speed trap on the way to Logan.

tooblue
02-05-2014, 08:41 AM
Last week I asked for more detail from my son in his emails home. This week he sent the following ...

"Its Febrary 5th. The rain has continued its unrelenting attack on us, and has soaked us to the bone. I am wet. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I have another pair of Br. Misseri's crazy socks stuffed away in my backpack. I just hope the water hasn't soaked through that as well. I fear my planner has all but been reduced to a soggy clump of wet paper. Beside me sits our homeless friend, Silvio, he is eating a Bagel while watching Captain America. We often see him here in our tiny Internet cafe. He is a pleasant man. He has a shaggy beard and smells of cheese ..."

LA Ute
02-05-2014, 02:07 PM
Last week I asked for more detail from my son in his emails home. This week he sent the following ...

"Its Febrary 5th. The rain has continued its unrelenting attack on us, and has soaked us to the bone. I am wet. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I have another pair of Br. Misseri's crazy socks stuffed away in my backpack. I just hope the water hasn't soaked through that as well. I fear my planner has all but been reduced to a soggy clump of wet paper. Beside me sits our homeless friend, Silvio, he is eating a Bagel while watching Captain America. We often see him here in our tiny Internet cafe. He is a pleasant man. He has a shaggy beard and smells of cheese ..."

Your son needs to consider writing as a career.

arizonaute
02-16-2014, 12:24 PM
Today is the boys 19th birthday. He has been transferred again. His last two companions have been guys going home. He had a baptism schedule in the area he left. Swing and a miss.
He continues to send home positive emails and seems to have a good attitude.

USS Utah
02-17-2014, 01:50 PM
If he did any of the teaching and the baptism goes down as scheduled, I'd say count it.

arizonaute
03-11-2014, 10:26 PM
the difference a week can make
week 32
So I can honestly say that this week was one of the hardest of my mission.
I won't go into to detail but lets just say I really am glad its a new week. BUT!!!!! We found some pretty cool and receptive people so we have appointments with them this next week.
week 33
All was fine and dandy until Elder Johnson came walking in with a scapel (sp?) and said I need some syringes for the numbing stuff. Basically what happened, My toenail has had some fungus or something under it for awhile and I didn't know. So they decided it would just be better to cut out my toenail. So the rest of the zone is in zone conference and I am off in another part of the church with one of the AP's and got my toenail yanked out, with not enough anesthesia. and yes I have pictures
And that was pretty much my week, One of the sister companionships had a baptism this last saturday so we helped with that and we are just getting ready for another week of serving the Lord.

arizonaute
06-12-2014, 01:09 AM
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10264071_10200809658204234_5557846405282769623_o.j pg This is the boys gift to himself from a tshirt maker in Chile

LA Ute
06-16-2014, 08:30 AM
https://scontent-b-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/10264071_10200809658204234_5557846405282769623_o.j pg This is the boys gift to himself from a tshirt maker in Chile

arizonaute
06-23-2014, 03:59 PM
the world cup seems to slow down the ability to meet people

LA Ute
06-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Even back in 1975 in Guatemala the whole country seemed to shut down (especially in the small town where I was working) during the World Cup.

DrumNFeather
06-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Even back in 1975 in Guatemala the whole country seemed to shut down (especially in the small town where I was working) during the World Cup.

Sheesh...you're old...did you serve with Parly P. Pratt? ;)

LA Ute
06-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Sheesh...you're old...did you serve with Parly P. Pratt? ;)

He was one mission president ahead of me.

arizonaute
05-14-2015, 03:34 PM
SO we are down to 8 days before he is coming home. The boy has been steady and no issues. Interesting how life has flown by and it still seems like yesterday we were standing in the airport.

LA Ute
05-14-2015, 04:02 PM
SO we are down to 8 days before he is coming home. The boy has been steady and no issues. Interesting how life has flown by and it still seems like yesterday we were standing in the airport.

Exciting!

tooblue
08-03-2015, 07:59 AM
We just dropped my second oldest off at the airport. Like his older brother before him, he will head to Utah to spend two days with my parents visiting with uncles, aunts and cousins, and then be dropped off at the MTC on Wednesday. Six weeks from Wednesday he will fly to the Philippines, Cebu mission.

This is all strangely familiar. Last night when he was set apart it rained, just as it did when his older brother was set apart nearly two years ago. Today is a Holiday—the August long weekend. His older brother also left on a Holiday—Canadian Thanksgiving Monday, nearly two years ago. This morning it's wet and muggy, just as it was almost two years ago.

My oldest returns home from Italy in exactly two months—October 2. The two brothers won't see one another for four years. I was happy, happy when the oldest left. I am equally pleased this time around, but I have to admit it was a little harder saying good bye. This leaves us with only three at home, and it's a strange feeling—a more significant change in family dynamics. He'll do well. It's a grand adventure, and I am excited for him.

Sullyute
08-03-2015, 09:36 AM
We just dropped my second oldest off at the airport. Like his older brother before him, he will head to Utah to spend two days with my parents visiting with uncles, aunts and cousins, and then be dropped off at the MTC on Wednesday. Six weeks from Wednesday he will fly to the Philippines, Cebu mission.

This is all strangely familiar. Last night when he was set apart it rained, just as it did when his older brother was set apart nearly two years ago. Today is a Holiday—the August long weekend. His older brother also left on a Holiday—Canadian Thanksgiving Monday, nearly two years ago. This morning it's wet and muggy, just as it was almost two years ago.

My oldest returns home from Italy in exactly two months—October 2. The two brothers won't see one another for four years. I was happy, happy when the oldest left. I am equally pleased this time around, but I have to admit it was a little harder saying good bye. This leaves us with only three at home, and it's a strange feeling—a more significant change in family dynamics. He'll do well. It's a grand adventure, and I am excited for him.

I am sure that it is very bittersweet to send a child on a mission. Best of wishes to you and your second son. How is the oldest doing?

tooblue
08-06-2015, 10:14 AM
I am sure that it is very bittersweet to send a child on a mission. Best of wishes to you and your second son. How is the oldest doing?

The oldest is doing well. From his latest email: "Well, your photos of my brother leaving and of the cottage make me nostalgic for frog hunts, and I am really eager to hug mom again. Thanks for making me trunky pops hahaha. GIANT ITALIAN WATERMELON. Best part of summer. Smiles all around!"

NorthwestUteFan
08-06-2015, 07:03 PM
The oldest is doing well. From his latest email: "Well, your photos of my brother leaving and of the cottage make me nostalgic for frog hunts, and I am really eager to hug mom again. Thanks for making me trunky pops hahaha. GIANT ITALIAN WATERMELON. Best part of summer. Smiles all around!"

Sounds as though he is having a great experience. Best wishes for both of them!

UBlender
08-09-2015, 09:38 PM
A kid who has been in my sunday school class for the past 3 years just received a call to the Marshall Islands. If anyone served there and loved it and wants to talk with him about it, let me know. Our ward typically only has around 0-1 missionaries out at a time, so it's kinda exciting for us.

One of my mission companions and good friends grew up there from about 11-18 on Kwajalein.

tooblue
09-02-2015, 03:01 PM
So, we are down to exactly one month to go before my son returns home. His mission has a rule that they are permitted to attend one cultural event during their two years. Tonight he went to the Opera in Verona to see "Aida." Attached is a pic of his pre-opera meal.

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Wow. And Wow.

Beautiful meal, and one of the greatest operas ever. Verdi plus a cast of 350 people for the win.

If my kids go on missions I will make sure they have many cultural opportunities like this.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-02-2015, 05:30 PM
I wonder what sort of "cultural opportunity" I could have come up with in LA. Would have been a fun challenge.

NorthwestUteFan
09-02-2015, 07:38 PM
I wonder what sort of "cultural opportunity" I could have come up with in LA. Would have been a fun challenge.

Watching byu get crushed by UCLA in the Rose Bowl was fun (especially after overhearing several people say, "Well at least we will beat Utah this year..." LOL.).

Phantom of the Opera at Pantages.

Dodger games.

Pre-season game BTW the LA Rams and Green Bay (with Ty Detmer).

Tour of MT Wilson Observatory.

Racing on an icy Angeles Crest Highway in the mission Corolla with a companion who fancied himself a race car driver. (His name was Jerry, and the Primus song was in my head the entire, terrifying time).

Hitching a ride with the HPGL's daughter to the Halloween night
Oingo Boingo concert at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre (just a bit outside the mission).

Driving in Sammie Davis, Jr's funeral procession.

'Accidentally' tracting into Bret Michael's wedding in Pasadena.

Dinner at LA's house. (Kidding)

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Watching byu get crushed by UCLA in the Rose Bowl was fun (especially after overhearing several people say, "Well at least we will beat Utah this year..." LOL.).

Phantom of the Opera at Pantages.

Dodger games.

Pre-season game BTW the LA Rams and Green Bay (with Ty Detmer).

Tour of MT Wilson Observatory.

Racing on an icy Angeles Crest Highway in the mission Corolla with a companion who fancied himself a race car driver. (His name was Jerry, and the Primus song was in my head the entire, terrifying time).

Hitching a ride with the HPGL's daughter to the Halloween night
Oingo Boingo concert at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre (just a bit outside the mission).

Driving in Sammie Davis, Jr's funeral procession.

'Accidentally' tracting into Bret Michael's wedding in Pasadena.

Dinner at LA's house. (Kidding)

I got there one mission president too late. The best I got was a tour of JPL. I kept campaigning for Santa Anita Park. Couldn't make it happen.

LA Ute
09-03-2015, 05:46 AM

A burger at Tommy's?

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2015, 06:22 AM
A burger at Tommy's?

Chiliburger at Tommy's. My gut still hurts.

LA Ute
09-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Chiliburger at Tommy's. My gut still hurts.

Which mission were you in? I want to determine whether we might have had you over for dinner.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 07:58 AM
A burger at Tommy's?

Which mission were you in? I want to determine whether we might have had you over for dinner.

In all my time in the Arcadia mission area, I never made it to Tommy's. There's even one in Vegas, but I'm reluctant to venture since it's probably not quite the same.

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 08:06 AM
In all my time in the Arcadia mission area, I never made it to Tommy's. There's even one in Vegas, but I'm reluctant to venture since it's probably not quite the same.

What years were you there?

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2015, 08:16 AM
What years were you there?

I was 90-92, Dwight Schr-Ute was ~93-95. Both in Arcadia.

I spoke Mandarin so we really covered the entire Southland, although we stayed mostly in the boundaries of Arcadia, Anaheim, and the CLAM. I never met LA, but I did have dinner a few times with my brother's future ex-fiancée a few times (in La Cañada).

DrumNFeather
09-03-2015, 08:33 AM
I was 90-92, Dwight Schr-Ute was ~93-95. Both in Arcadia.

I spoke Mandarin so we really covered the entire Southland, although we stayed mostly in the boundaries of Arcadia, Anaheim, and the CLAM. I never met LA, but I did have dinner a few times with my brother's future ex-fiancée a few times (in La Cañada).

My brother was there...I think 96-98.

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 09:17 AM
My brother was there...I think 96-98.

I wasn't smart or obedient, so I was English speaking. Left LA in Oct. '06.

NorthwestUteFan
09-03-2015, 10:52 AM
Don't you mean '96? Otherwise you have some 'splaining to cover your almost 9-yr old...

Sullyute
09-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Don't you mean '96? Otherwise you have some 'splaining to cover your almost 9-yr old...

Maybe that is why he had to leave the mission!

Dwight Schr-Ute
09-03-2015, 03:34 PM

Doh. Of course it only FELT like a 12 year mission. I'm reminded of the cranky ol' lady from my ward that I ran into at the stake center when I reported to the high council.

Her: Are you glad to be home?
Me: Yeah. Excited to move forward into the next chapter.
Her: Hmph. My sons were all sad to be home. They liked their mission.

mUUser
03-22-2020, 06:22 PM
We had a meeting with our SP this week. My son signed a LOI to play football (not at Utah) but was planning on a mission first. After this meeting, there’s enough uncertainty around missions right now that it might makes sense to play a year (if it’s even possible given scholarship considerations), then revisit the decision.

My concern of course is that the longer it takes to get into the field, the less likely it will happen.

These HS seniors are in interesting times to be sure. Online school, spring sports effectively cancelled, mission plans in day-to-day flux, social distancing, parents losing income just to name a few things they’re dealing with.

Nerve wracking time to be 18.

Mormon Red Death
03-22-2020, 07:22 PM
We had a meeting with our SP this week. My son signed a LOI to play football (not at Utah) but was planning on a mission first. After this meeting, there’s enough uncertainty around missions right now that it might makes sense to play a year (if it’s even possible given scholarship considerations), then revisit the decision.

My concern of course is that the longer it takes to get into the field, the less likely it will happen.

These HS seniors are in interesting times to be sure. Online school, spring sports effectively cancelled, mission plans in day-to-day flux, social distancing, parents losing income just to name a few things they’re dealing with.

Nerve wracking time to be 18.

Where did he sign?

arizonaute
05-11-2020, 05:19 PM
since I started this thread a while ago , kid one come and gone to Chile.

Second son went to Alberta and came back a changed man. He left when he was almost 20 after he decided he wanted to go. My wife and i have told him " if you are not 100% committed dont go. You will make everyone around you miserable. Including yourself." He all the sudden one day said I think i am ready to go and dove in headfirst. He is now married last OCT

Third is almost nineteen and wants to serve a mission but seems reluctant. He has been somewhat of a loner. Told him the same thing i told the other ones. BE sure. Still trying to figure out what is holding him back. He is good with people but he has a hard time trusting in anyone that is not a star wars character

Sullyute
05-14-2020, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the update. My kid is still 4 plus years away and has already said he has no interest in going. If so, he will be the first child or grandchild, boy or girl, in my wife’s family to not go on a mission. Lot of pressure on that side of the family.

mUUser
08-17-2020, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the update. My kid is still 4 plus years away and has already said he has no interest in going. If so, he will be the first child or grandchild, boy or girl, in my wife’s family to not go on a mission. Lot of pressure on that side of the family.

Four years is a long time. If he has a bunch of buddies going it could influence him a great deal.......believe me. Of course ,the opposite is true as well I suppose.

(Thought it'd be kinda fun to post in a ghost town. About one post a month now. UF.N just doesn't do it for me, but the only game in town now I guess) :tumbleweed:

sancho
08-18-2020, 09:50 AM
(Thought it'd be kinda fun to post in a ghost town. About one post a month now. UF.N just doesn't do it for me, but the only game in town now I guess) :tumbleweed:

I tried to Pied Piper this group to a Discord promised land, but I couldn't convince anyone to follow.

mUUser
08-18-2020, 02:11 PM
Hey, I'll be here if you want.

Utefans has already become a chore. The politics is never ending and the same posters say the same things over and over and over and over and.........

Wish we hadn't pulled the plug so early on football and just let it end organically. Would give us something else to talk about.

sancho
08-18-2020, 04:34 PM
Hey, I'll be here if you want.

Utefans has already become a chore. The politics is never ending and the same posters say the same things over and over and over and over and.........

Wish we hadn't pulled the plug so early on football and just let it end organically. Would give us something else to talk about.

I agree. Why not go right up to the deadline? After they canceled the season, the new saliva test from the NBA was announced. Maybe that's a game changer. Maybe some other game changer comes along.

Anyway, I can't remedy the "same posters say the same things" problem since I'm part of that problem.