PDA

View Full Version : The Championship Week Thread

DrumNFeather
03-07-2013, 07:23 PM
With conference championship tournaments starting this week, I thought I'd be nice to have a place to discuss all the goings on in championship week (Pac 12 will get its own thread).

I think the Big South, OVC, Horizon, and Atlantic Sun are already underway with their quarterfinal match ups.

Automatic Bids Earned:

Atlantic Sun: Florida Gulf Coast (#2 seed, 23-10)
Ivy: Harvard (won regular season crown, 19-9)
Ohio Valley: Belmont (#1 seed, 26-6)
Big South: Liberty (#5 seed, 15-20)
Missouri Valley: Creighton (#1 seed, 27-7)
CAA: James Madison (#3 seed, 20-14)
SoCon: Davidson (#1 seed, 26-7)
Sun Belt: Western Kentucky (#6 seed, 20-15)
MAAC: Iona (#4 Seed, 20-13)
WCC: Gonzaga (#1 seed, 31-2)
NEC: LIU Brooklyn (#3 seed, 20-13)
Horizon: Valparaiso (#1 seed, 26-7)
Summit: South Dakota St. (#1 seed, 25-9)
Patriot: Bucknell (#1 seed, 28-5)
ACC: Miami (#1 seed, 27-6)
America East: Albany (#4 seed, 24-10)
Atlantic 10: St. Louis (#1 seed, 27-6)
Big 12: Kansas (#1 seed, 29-5)
Big East: Louisville (#2 seed, 29-5)
Big Sky: Montana (#1 seed, 25-6)
Big West: Pacific (#2 seed, 22-12)
CUSA: Memphis (#1 seed, 30-4)
MAC: Akron (#1 seed, 26-6)
Mid Eastern: North Carolina A&T (#7 seed 19-16)
Mountain West: New Mexico (#1 seed, 29-5)
Pac 12: Oregon (#3 seed, 26-8)
SEC: Ole Miss (#3 seed, 26-8)
Southland: Northwestern St. (#2 seed, 23-8)
SWAC: Southern (#1 seed, 23-9)
WAC: New Mexico St. (#3 seed, 24-10)
Big 10: Ohio St. (#2 seed, 26-7)

UBlender
03-08-2013, 09:25 AM
With conference championship tournaments starting this week, I thought I'd be nice to have a place to discuss all the goings on in championship week (Pac 12 will get its own thread).

I think the Big South, OVC, Horizon, and Atlantic Sun are already underway with their quarterfinal match ups.

I think the WCC is also underway. When you consider that in context with the other conferences that have started, it is another reminder of just how badly BYU sold out their basketball program. MWC is a great hoops league, better than the PAC 12 last year and about even this year while the WCC is playing their conference tournament a week early in an effort to have some regional relevance.

DrumNFeather
03-08-2013, 09:40 AM
I think the WCC is also underway. When you consider that in context with the other conferences that have started, it is another reminder of just how badly BYU sold out their basketball program. MWC is a great hoops league, better than the PAC 12 last year and about even this year while the WCC is playing their conference tournament a week early in an effort to have some regional relevance.

Yeah, I think quite a few more get underway this weekend and we'll start to see bids flying off the shelf by Sunday. Princeton is two wins away from securing the bid for the Ivy league as well.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2013, 06:46 AM
The Atlantic Sun tournament will hand out its auto-bid today...and I think it is the only conference with a title game today. #1 Mercer vs. #2 Florida Gulf Coast.

Also, with the two upsets in the WCC last night, LMU and San Diego could both steal a bid and shrink the bubble if they win tonight vs. Gonzaga & St. Marys.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2013, 12:06 PM
The Atlantic Sun tournament will hand out its auto-bid today...and I think it is the only conference with a title game today. #1 Mercer vs. #2 Florida Gulf Coast.

Also, with the two upsets in the WCC last night, LMU and San Diego could both steal a bid and shrink the bubble if they win tonight vs. Gonzaga & St. Marys.

Florida Gulf Coast wins and receives the first bid to the big dance.

Up next: Ohio Valley - #1 Belmont vs. #2 Murray St.

DrumNFeather
03-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Florida Gulf Coast wins and receives the first bid to the big dance.

Up next: Ohio Valley - #1 Belmont vs. #2 Murray St.

Harvard wins the Ivy league title and punches a ticket to the big dance.

Belmont comes from behind to force overtime against Murray St. and wins 70-68.

Championship games on Sunday:

Big South #1 Charleston Southern vs. #5 Liberty
Missouri Valley: #1 Creighton vs. #2 Wichita St.

DrumNFeather
03-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Harvard wins the Ivy league title and punches a ticket to the big dance.

Belmont comes from behind to force overtime against Murray St. and wins 70-68.

Championship games on Sunday:

Big South #1 Charleston Southern vs. #5 Liberty
Missouri Valley: #1 Creighton vs. #2 Wichita St.

After an 0-8 start to their season, and a 1-10 start in conference play, 5th seeded (9th in the Big South regular season) Liberty knocks off both of the top seeds and the host school en route to 4 wins in 4 days to clinch the tournament bid for the Big South. Incidentally, Liberty is coached by Dale Laird, former Colorado St. coach.

Congrats to the flames!

MVC up next (though both teams should make it to the big dance).

LA Ute
03-10-2013, 04:26 PM
I watched the last 10 minutes of the Michigan-Indiana game and was reminded of why I love college basketball. Anyone else see that? A pair of excellent, well-coached and disciplined teams playing down to the last second. Congrats to the Hoosiers for winning their first outright Big 10 championship since 1993.

UBlender
03-10-2013, 04:27 PM
After an 0-8 start to their season, and a 1-10 start in conference play, 5th seeded (9th in the Big South regular season) Liberty knocks off both of the top seeds and the host school en route to 4 wins in 4 days to clinch the tournament bid for the Big South. Incidentally, Liberty is coached by Dale Laird, former Colorado St. coach.

Congrats to the flames!

MVC up next (though both teams should make it to the big dance).

I caught a minute of that game this morning. Seeing Dale Layer on the sideline made my day. Memories....

Mormon Red Death
03-10-2013, 04:32 PM
I watched the last 10 minutes of the Michigan-Indiana game and was reminded of why I love college basketball. Anyone else see that? A pair of excellent, well-coached and disciplined teams playing down to the last second. Congrats to the Hoosiers for winning their first outright Big 10 championship since 1993.

That whole game was great.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

DrumNFeather
03-10-2013, 08:54 PM
Tickets to be punched on Monday 3/11:

CAA: #1 Northeastern vs. #3 James Madison
SoCon: #1 Davidson vs. #3 Charlston
Sun Belt: #4 Fla. Intl vs. #6 Western Kentucky
MAAC: #4 Iona vs. #6 Manhattan
WCC: #1 Gonzaga vs. #2 St. Marys

LA Ute
03-10-2013, 11:29 PM
I did have a bad case of Cody Zeller envy while watching the Indiana-Michigan game. I just hope some Ute develops into a go-to player next season. Maybe it'll be Loveridge, maybe Delon Wright.

DrumNFeather
03-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Tickets to be punched on Monday 3/11:

CAA: #1 Northeastern vs. #3 James Madison
SoCon: #1 Davidson vs. #3 Charlston
MAAC: #4 Iona vs. #6 Manhattan
WCC: #1 Gonzaga vs. #2 St. Marys

James Madison and Davidson punch the first two tickets of the night. Western Kentucky, the 6th seed in the Sun Belt, returns to the dance as well.

DrumNFeather
03-12-2013, 06:53 AM
Tickets to be punched on Tuesday:

Horizon League: #1 Valparaiso vs. #3 Wright State
NEC: #5 Mt. St. Marys vs. #3 LIU Brooklyn
Summit: #1. South Dakota St. vs. #3 North Dakota St.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2013, 06:54 AM
Tickets to be punched on Tuesday:

Horizon League: #1 Valparaiso vs. #3 Wright State
NEC: #5 Mt. St. Marys vs. #3 LIU Brooklyn
Summit: #1. South Dakota St. vs. #3 North Dakota St.

Valpo, South Dakota St. and LIU Brooklyn all move on.

Only one big goes out tonight: Patriot League - #1 Bucknell vs. #2 Lafayette

Also, a number of the "bigger" conf. tournaments head into full swing tonight as well, including our beloved Utes vs. USC.

DrumNFeather
03-13-2013, 09:11 PM
After going 16-0 in the MEAC in the regular season, #1 Seed Norfolk St. is bounced by #8 Bethune Cookman.

DrumNFeather
03-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Auto bids to be handed out on Saturday:

America East: #4 Albany vs. #2 Vermont
Big 12: #1 Kansas vs. #2 Kansas St.
Big East: #5 Syracuse vs. #2 Louisville
Big Sky: #1 Montana vs. #2 Weber St.
Big West: #4 UC Irvine vs. 2 Pacific or 3 Cal Poly
Conference USA: #1 Memphis vs. #2 Southern Miss
MAC: #1 Akron vs. #2 Ohio
MEAC: #5 Morgan St. vs. #7 North Carolina A&T
Mountain WEst: #1 New Mexico vs. #2 UNLV
Pac 12: #1 UCLA vs.#3 Oregon
Southland: #1 Stephen F. Austin vs. #2 Northwestern St.
SWAC: #1 Southern vs. # Prairie View A&M
WAC: #3 New Mexico St. vs. #4 UT Arlington

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Cuse v. Louisville part 3. First two regular season games were split. Cuse ended the season in a bit of a slump and limped through. They overcame themselves to beat Gtown in the semi final game and may have a spark back. Looking forward to this game.

I could honesty care less about the acc game tomorrow. Next year I will have to figure out how to get excited for games against them.

FN Phat
03-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Cuse v. Louisville part 3. First two regular season games were split. Cuse ended the season in a bit of a slump and limped through. They overcame themselves to beat Gtown in the semi final game and may have a spark back. Looking forward to this game.

I could honesty care less about the acc game tomorrow. Next year I will have to figure out how to get excited for games against them.

Exactly what I was telling my dad this morning. I lived in Upstate New York during the heyday of the Big East. It was engrained in my fan hood since I was 7 years old. I still talk about playing in the Dome for the reginal Pop Warner Championship. I can't believe that we are one game away from winning the "last" Big East Championship. To top it off I live in an odd place that is half UK fans and half UL fans. I went to Home Depot this morning, sportin my bright orange Syracuse hoody and was loing every bit of it. Especially the old man at the register who started talking trash to me. All that being said, even with the ACC having great teams, it just won't be the same as the Big East. I am sure that the ACC will bring new challenges and maybe a new rival or two but it will take awhile before I get as excited for thise games as playing Georgetown or UConn. I loved beating those teams!

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Exactly what I was telling my dad this morning. I lived in Upstate New York during the heyday of the Big East. It was engrained in my fan hood since I was 7 years old. I still talk about playing in the Dome for the reginal Pop Warner Championship. I can't believe that we are one game away from winning the "last" Big East Championship. To top it off I live in an odd place that is half UK fans and half UL fans. I went to Home Depot this morning, sportin my bright orange Syracuse hoody and was loing every bit of it. Especially the old man at the register who started talking trash to me. All that being said, even with the ACC having great teams, it just won't be the same as the Big East. I am sure that the ACC will bring new challenges and maybe a new rival or two but it will take awhile before I get as excited for thise games as playing Georgetown or UConn. I loved beating those teams!

Me too absolutely!

Cuse coming out on fire. I love the intensity. I hate the Louisville shorts.

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 06:58 PM

The Dome is a special place!

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Wow. This is turning into a rout.

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Carter Williams takes a nut shot and the cards are clawing their way back in. Great second half.

LA Ute
03-16-2013, 08:21 PM
Me too absolutely!

Cuse coming out on fire. I love the intensity. I hate the Louisville shorts.

We must blame Nike. Swimming trunks!

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 08:23 PM
We must blame Nike. Swimming trunks!

That's for sure.

Orange are falling apart down the stretch. Louisville is playing fast and furious.

LA Ute
03-16-2013, 08:25 PM
That's for sure.

Orange are falling apart down the stretch. Louisville is playing fast and furious.

They're back in their heels, need to regroup.

LA Ute
03-16-2013, 08:27 PM
That's for sure.

They're back on their heels - need to regroup.

LA Ute
03-16-2013, 08:28 PM
I felt so strongly I had to say it twice.

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 08:33 PM
I felt so strongly I had to say it twice.

It was an excellent point. Syracuse is getting frustrated with the press and is cold on offense.

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 08:39 PM
Absolute collapse in the second half. Now missing free throws right and left and getting killed on the boards.

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 08:40 PM
With how physical Louisville is playing, I would have liked to have seen Coleman.

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Dad gum.

FN Phat
03-16-2013, 08:52 PM
It was a good run for the tourney. The first half looked like the Orange of the tourney and second half was the Cuse of the slump

LA Ute
03-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Sorry, OU. That's tough to take.

OrangeUte
03-16-2013, 09:02 PM
It was a good run for the tourney. The first half looked like the Orange of the tourney and second half was the Cuse of the slump

I was just saying that same thing to my kids. 2 teams all season and in this game. Hopefully they get a 5 seed.

FN Phat
03-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Sorry, OU. That's tough to take.

Im okay, thanks for asking!

LA Ute
03-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Im okay, thanks for asking!

I can't keep all the Syracuse fans here straight. After all, there are 2 of you. My bad. ;)

DrumNFeather
03-17-2013, 03:25 PM
All autobids updated.

U-Ute
03-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Wil Clyburn and Marshall Henderson make the NCAA tournament. Happy for them.

U-Ute
03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
And JJ O'Brien

Scratch
03-17-2013, 05:12 PM
Mark Gottfried, NCState, dancing as an 8 seed.

I would add "ACC pre-season favorite" to the start of this line.

SoCalPat
03-17-2013, 05:46 PM
A follow up - players we recruited hard:

CJ Wilcox - UW, not dancing

Brandon Davies - BYU, not dancing

Tyler Haws - BYU, not dancing

Who else makes this list?

Alan Crabbe, Cal.

SeattleUte
03-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Alan Crabbe, Cal.

I can't make any sense of the seedings anymore. To take two neutral examples, it's totally beyond me why Ole Miss gets a 12 seed and Colorado State gets a 6 seed. That makes no sense to me at all. It's like mid-major ADs have staged a coup d'etat on the committee. Is it the computers?

U-Ute
03-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Obviously they took the whole season into account. That is the only way I see Colorado as a 10 while Oregon is a 12.

CSU has had a really good season overall.

scottie
03-17-2013, 06:18 PM
I can't make any sense of the seedings anymore. To take two neutral examples, it's totally beyond me why Ole Miss gets a 12 seed and Colorado State gets a 6 seed. That makes no sense to me at all. It's like mid-major ADs have staged a coup d'etat on the committee. Is it the computers?

Both CSU (#24 RPI) and Ole Miss (#50) got their RPI "seeding".

stretchiute
03-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Recruit Ben Carter at Oregon

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

GarthUte
03-17-2013, 08:31 PM

MWC is ranked #1 according to RPI. SEC is ranked 8th.

U-Ute
03-18-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm honestly not sure what to make of this.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21905525/marshall-henderson-celebrated-ole-miss-bid-with-beer-pong

I was hoping that he had turned his life around, but now it doesn't seem so much. You just fear that this kid is going to burn out rather than fade away... :(

SeattleUte
03-19-2013, 01:13 PM
MWC is ranked #1 according to RPI. SEC is ranked 8th.

Yeah, well, I don't buy it until I see how the MWC actually does in the tournament. Every year for some time now they've been darlings of the selection committee and the only MWC team that's really ever done much is Utah. So this year I'm going to pick all majors whenever they are head to head with a mid-major and we'll see how my bracket does. And that includes Gonzaga.

Flystripper
03-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Yeah, well, I don't buy it until I see how the MWC actually does in the tournament. Every year for some time now they've been darlings of the selection committee and the only MWC team that's really ever done much is Utah. So this year I'm going to pick all majors whenever they are head to head with a mid-major and we'll see how my bracket does. And that includes Gonzaga.

This year would not be the year to follow this strategy.