PDA

View Full Version : Coastal California

Switzerland
03-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Greetings,

FL trip has been scrapped; long story. Now we're spending a few days in the Bay Area, driving down the 1 through Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, and a few days in Los Angeles. Just wondering if any of the following are worth the time and/or $$:

--Angel Island State Park & ferry
--Pinnacles National Monument (former volcano and caves)
--Ventura whale watching excursions
--Catalina island (is it worth a day trip?)
--Hornblower dinner cruises

Thank you!

LA Ute
03-08-2013, 10:00 PM
Greetings,

FL trip has been scrapped; long story. Now we're spending a few days in the Bay Area, driving down the 1 through Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Barbara, and a few days in Los Angeles. Just wondering if any of the following are worth the time and/or $$:

Thank you!

Do the whale watching! Not much to see on Catalina. Skip Hornblower. I don't know anything about Pinnacles or Angel Island.

Other ideas:

Spend a Day in Monterey if you can and see the Aquarium. It needs at least 3 hours or so.

Hearst Castle is interesting to some. I think it's boring.

Stop in Cambria and have some pie at Linn's Fruit Bin. Awesome.

Enjoy!

San Diego Ute Fan
03-08-2013, 10:14 PM
Greetings,

Thank you!

I agree with LA Ute on the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Do it. Also, I'd pass on Catalina. Nothing much to see or do there unless you're avid fishermen or SCUBA divers. Instead, swap Catalina for a day or two in San Diego. Boardmail me if you need specific suggestions.

LA Ute
03-08-2013, 10:16 PM
I agree with LA Ute on the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Do it. Also, I'd pass on Catalina. Nothing much to see or do there unless you're an avid fishermen or SCUBA divers. Instead, swap Catalina for a day or two in San Diego. Boardmail me if you need specific suggestions.

Agree, you should spend time in San Diego. Eat in Old Town. SD Ute will guide you.

Scratch
03-08-2013, 10:58 PM
I agree with LA Ute on the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Do it. Also, I'd pass on Catalina. Nothing much to see or do there unless you're avid fishermen or SCUBA divers. Instead, swap Catalina for a day or two in San Diego. Boardmail me if you need specific suggestions.

I agree as well.

OrangeUte
03-08-2013, 11:30 PM
An hour north of San Fran is pt. Reyes. Gorgeous.

LA Ute
03-10-2013, 06:51 PM
One more idea: We're in the middle of whale-watching season. The grey whales are running. If you want to do that, here's the place to go, in Ventura:

https://reserve.islandpackers.com/

Solon
03-10-2013, 08:42 PM
One more idea: We're in the middle of whale-watching season. The grey whales are running. If you want to do that, here's the place to go, in Ventura:

https://reserve.islandpackers.com/

If you're anywhere near Ventura, then you're close to Ojai.

Drive up 33 and have some strawberry shortcake at Boccali's (http://boccalis.com/).

PS - not the one in Meiner's Oaks. Go through town and hit the original location on the far side of downtown, on the way to Santa Paula.

LA Ute
03-10-2013, 08:56 PM
If you're anywhere near Ventura, then you're close to Ojai.

Drive up 33 and have some strawberry shortcake at Boccali's (http://boccalis.com/).

PS - not the one in Meiner's Oaks. Go through town and hit the original location on the far side of downtown, on the way to Santa Paula.

Great suggestion. Ojai is a kick.

OrangeUte
03-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Great suggestion. Ojai is a kick.

Ojai is great. You also won't be too far from Ronald Reagan's Presidential Library. It is terrific. Part of the national archive system. It has the Air Force 1 that was in use from Nixon to Clinton and tons of other stuff, including part of the actual Berlin Wall. They have a Walt Disney Display that is terrific. It's great no matter your political persuasion.