PDA

View Full Version : What can be done now to show support for the current members of the swim team?

UTEopia
03-11-2013, 11:34 AM
A poster who is identified as Katy Lied posted this on the other thread, but I think it merits its own discussion.

"I'm not celebrating anything except for rage. I have some skin in this game. I am reading coverage of this in Swimming World and Swim News, the magazines that every age group coach in the US reads as they guide their underage athletes in choosing a college. I'm seeing texts from high schools swimmers to Utah swimmers, asking "Gosh, is this really true? What's going on there?" and specifically linking the Yahoo article. I'm seeing Utah swimmers and divers refuse to wear their team gear on campus because they are ashamed of their coach and don't want anyone to know they are on the team. I'm seeing a team that terribly under performed at the conference championships two weeks ago because the problem wasn't taken care of in a timely manner and blew up during the most important meet of the year."

None of us can change what happened in the past. Ninety nine percent of us will have nothing to do directly with how the investigation plays out or what the future consequences will be to Hill or anyone else. It is not right that current swim team members cannot wear their gear with pride. They are the team. They did not engage in the conduct being discussed. They will either be a part of the solution by sticking together and returning or they will move on to other challenges. I don't know what can be done, but if someone with graphic skills wants to put together a t-shirt that supports the current swimmers or host a bbq or something where fans can express support and not violate NCAA rules, I am happy to contribute some dollars to the effort.

Big Kahuna
03-11-2013, 08:07 PM
This is the best post I've read on the topic and one that I support whole heartedly. I will be coming up for a ski vacation and would like to help in any way I can.