PDA

View Full Version : Trip to So. Cal

Slim
03-11-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm headed down to Southern California in a couple weeks for vacation and we have a couple of free days not planned. We're doing the Disneyland thing but have a couple of free days with nothing planned as of yet. We have a free day in the LA area, and haven't really don't have any ideas yet.

We also have a free day down in San Diego. We were thinking Sea World, The San Diego Zoo, or the Safari park. Any suggestions on which one would be the coolest? Is there anything else maybe not as well known that would be cool? When we were there a couple years ago we did the USS Midway and really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

LA Ute
03-11-2013, 12:39 PM
Sea World is a must if your kids are under 16 years old or so. The Shark Experience alone (or whatever they call it) is beyond cool.

In LA, the Getty is a must-see, but only if your chilluns won't be bored to tears. There are things there geared for younger kids and you can eat and generally enjoy a day or half-day there easily.

If you are not sick of amusement parks, the Universal Studios tour and Citywalk are fun places for visitors. Also, just hanging out at the Santa Monica Pier is fun. It's kind of an ongoing carnival. The beach is there too, but it'll be too cold to do much in water except play in the sand and the ankle-deep surf. You could eat lunch at Gladstone (http://www.sbe.com/gladstones)'s, which is in Malibu where Sunset Boulevard hits the Pacific Coast Highway. Very kid-friendly and right on the water. It's lots of fun.

San Diego Ute Fan
03-11-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm headed down to Southern California in a couple weeks for vacation and we have a couple of free days not planned. We're doing the Disneyland thing but have a couple of free days with nothing planned as of yet. We have a free day in the LA area, and haven't really don't have any ideas yet.

We also have a free day down in San Diego. We were thinking Sea World, The San Diego Zoo, or the Safari park. Any suggestions on which one would be the coolest? Is there anything else maybe not as well known that would be cool? When we were there a couple years ago we did the USS Midway and really enjoyed it.

If you've never done the SD Zoo or Sea World, it's tough to recommend one over the other. I would do one of those before the Safari park. Boardmail me if you need more specific info.

Solon
03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Sea World is a must if your kids are under 16 years old or so. The Shark Experience alone (or whatever they call it) is beyond cool.

In LA, the Getty is a must-see, but only if your chilluns won't be bored to tears. There are things there geared for younger kids and you can eat and generally enjoy a day or half-day there easily.

If you are not sick of amusement parks, the Universal Studios tour and Citywalk are fun places for visitors. Also, just hanging out at the Santa Monica Pier is fun. It's kind of an ongoing carnival. The beach is there too, but it'll be too cold to do much in water except play in the sand and the ankle-deep surf. You could eat lunch at Gladstone (http://www.sbe.com/gladstones)'s, which is in Malibu where Sunset Boulevard hits the Pacific Coast Highway. Very kid-friendly and right on the water. It's lots of fun.

Don't forget about the other Getty (the Getty Villa).

Joe Public
03-12-2013, 12:43 PM

I don't know what ages you're accommodating, but kayaks down in Newport Harbor can be fun. In San Diego, my kids can't get enough of Old Town for whatever reason. I don't think you can go wrong with either Sea World or the zoo.

Senioritis
03-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Go here:

http://www.pedrostacos.com/

Get the Carne Asada Burrito with the fried potato, and glory in the meat sweats.

I've heard the fish tacos and Lupe's mistake burrito are crazy good, as well, but fish in general is super grody. Like gag me with a spoon.

But Pedro's will not let you down.

Scratch
03-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Go here:

http://www.pedrostacos.com/

Get the Carne Asada Burrito with the fried potato, and glory in the meat sweats.

I've heard the fish tacos and Lupe's mistake burrito are crazy good, as well, but fish in general is super grody. Like gag me with a spoon.

But Pedro's will not let you down.

And after you go to Pedro's, go to Chronic in Newport and you can get something much better.

Senioritis
03-12-2013, 02:17 PM
And after you go to Pedro's, go to Chronic in Newport and you can get something much better.

Hippie.

UTEopia
03-12-2013, 04:01 PM
I love the San Diego Zoo. If I had a day in San Diego and I had already done Disneyland, here is what I would do: Breakfast at Konos (cash only) on the boardwalk at Mission Beach and then a bike ride along the boardwalk and around the bay. Lunch at Point Loma Seafood (an outside place with sandwiches and plates) and then a drive to Point Loma and a little time in the tide pools. From there I would head over to go on the aircraft carrier that is right next to Seaport Village. You can spend an hour or 5 hours and learn a ton. Maybe a walk around Seaport Village and then head to Old Town. If you are LDS they have a pretty good visitors center at Old Town. There are some okay mexican food places in Old Town, but if you want the real deal, go for lunch at Las Quatro Milpas.

San Diego Ute Fan
03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
I love the San Diego Zoo. If I had a day in San Diego and I had already done Disneyland, here is what I would do: Breakfast at Konos (cash only) on the boardwalk at Mission Beach and then a bike ride along the boardwalk and around the bay. Lunch at Point Loma Seafood (an outside place with sandwiches and plates) and then a drive to Point Loma and a little time in the tide pools. From there I would head over to go on the aircraft carrier that is right next to Seaport Village. You can spend an hour or 5 hours and learn a ton. Maybe a walk around Seaport Village and then head to Old Town. If you are LDS they have a pretty good visitors center at Old Town. There are some okay mexican food places in Old Town, but if you want the real deal, go for lunch at Las Quatro Milpas.

Agree completely on Point Loma Seafoods and Quatro Milpas. Both are LONG time San Diego legends. The Mormon Battalion Visitor's Center in Old Town is top notch. It was redone about 3 years ago.

Big Kahuna
03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
First off Scratch is correct Chronic is rediculously good.

Second, while in LA consider:

Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach

California Science Center - next to the Coliseum, no entry fee, buy $2 tickets on the internet ahead of time to see the space shuttle, we just did this and had a great time.

The Museaum of Natural History is next to the science museaum, has an admission charge

La Brea Tar pits are also cool to go see, not as many bones as the Natural History museaum but the pits themselves are unique. Has admission charge.

If you go to any of these downtown attractions I'd recommend for food:

Phillippes - home of the French Dip and you could check out Alvero Street, long lines for lunch, get there early

Langers Deli - lines are long but supposedly very good

Ixta - iffy part of downtown but they have valet parking. Some of the best Carnitas I've had and the prices are reasonable. For Phillipes and Langers you could try taking the subway from Exposition park, would need a transfer or 2. Yes LA has subways now.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
03-19-2013, 02:09 PM
San Diego Zoo is awesome, unless you have a stroller.

OrangeUte
03-19-2013, 02:31 PM
for me, a trip to L.A. is not complete without Tito's Tacos. Delicious. i agree on the la brea tar pits. very cool to do with kids.

utahby5
03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
I have had several San Diego trips in recent years and my kids would bypass the parks and zoo for a day at La Jolla Cove playing in the tide pools, watching sea lions, and playing in the water. They also love Old Town. The Maritime museum is pretty cool, you can tour several boats, ships and submarines and take the boat tour of the bay. As was mentioned Point Loma is also a great place to explore tide pools.