PDA

View Full Version : Ute Field

big z
03-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Do you think there would be more interest from the students in the baseball team if they played at Ute Field on Campus?

Why not after all of the other renovations have taken place build up the field on Campus and try to get these guys up to Pac 12 Baseball standards.

GarthUte
03-12-2013, 07:51 AM
I don't know how much student interest there is in Utah baseball, but I think it's worth a try to have the team play on the campus field. I don't think there's a need to bring up the facility to PAC-12 standards until more interest is shown. I understand your thinking though - as long as the U is doing all these upgrades, it wouldn't hurt to do that. I'd be hesitant to do that just because I'm a cheapskate and don't like to spend money until it's necessary.

Jarid in Cedar
03-12-2013, 07:57 AM
There are a few renderings of a new Ute Field. I saw one at the Tommy Lasorda fundraiser. Talking with Coach Kinneberg, he feels it is several years out(unless a major donor steps forward). He has higher priorities with his pac-12 loot at this time(mostly recruiting, new clubhouse, etc)

big z
03-12-2013, 08:05 AM
I don't know how much student interest there is in Utah baseball, but I think it's worth a try to have the team play on the campus field. I don't think there's a need to bring up the facility to PAC-12 standards until more interest is shown. I understand your thinking though - as long as the U is doing all these upgrades, it wouldn't hurt to do that. I'd be hesitant to do that just because I'm a cheapskate and don't like to spend money until it's necessary.

There is a small group of students that show up to the games, but i'm guess you'd see more of them if they could walk to the park versus driving down the hill.

big z
03-12-2013, 08:07 AM
There are a few renderings of a new Ute Field. I saw one at the Tommy Lasorda fundraiser. Talking with Coach Kinneberg, he feels it is several years out(unless a major donor steps forward). He has higher priorities with his pac-12 loot at this time(mostly recruiting, new clubhouse, etc)

I'd like to eventually see it happen, if they could keep the current location and build around it the scenery up there is outstanding

Jarid in Cedar
03-12-2013, 08:25 AM
I'd like to eventually see it happen, if they could keep the current location and build around it the scenery up there is outstanding

The plan is to build it at the current location. I agree. Perfect spot for a field.

mUUser
03-12-2013, 08:30 AM
...don't like to spend money until it's necessary.

Spending money on baseball is never unnecessary. :)

Jarid in Cedar
03-12-2013, 08:35 AM

:highfive: exactly my thoughts.

big z
03-12-2013, 08:44 AM
:highfive: exactly my thoughts.

I'm slowly getting back to baseball. I grew up a Cleveland Indians fan for no damn reason and got sick of them sucking so I gave it up. I started going to Raptor games a few years back and now follow the Utes and the Bees. My son is showing more interest in baseball than any other sport so far, so i'm taking him and my daughter with me to the games.

mUUser
03-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but, I'm thinking of sending my 11 y/o kid to the Youth Competitive League Summer Camp at the U this year. Does anyone have any experience with it, and would it be worth the thousand mile trip? It's the closest thing I've seen to a camp geared for competitive youth players.

Jarid in Cedar
03-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but, I'm thinking of sending my 11 y/o kid to the Youth Competitive League Summer Camp at the U this year. Does anyone have any experience with it, and would it be worth the thousand mile trip? It's the closest thing I've seen to a camp geared for competitive youth players.

We took our kids last year, and it was a good camp. I don't know if I would drive that far for it, but it was worth the 3 days of work and 500 mile round trip for me.

Diehard Ute
03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Since I oversaw construction of the current Ute Field I'll chime in.

There are issues regarding land to build a field on, the land the current field is on came as a result of the old field being taken over for other projects.

The field itself is, or was at least when I was there, high quality. Top of the line infield mix, mound material etc. it's big drawback is the lack of space with tight foul areas, little room for seating and no facilities. There isn't really room to build a true 'stadium' there unless some of the land to the north is used, which wasn't an option in 1999

GarthUte
03-12-2013, 12:00 PM

That's a fair point. However, when my oldest son was 8, there was no need to spend $300 on a bat when a $25 bat would suffice.

big z
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Since I oversaw construction of the current Ute Field I'll chime in.

There are issues regarding land to build a field on, the land the current field is on came as a result of the old field being taken over for other projects.

The field itself is, or was at least when I was there, high quality. Top of the line infield mix, mound material etc. it's big drawback is the lack of space with tight foul areas, little room for seating and no facilities. There isn't really room to build a true 'stadium' there unless some of the land to the north is used, which wasn't an option in 1999

If I remember right the land to the north is just an open dirt field that they are using for Crimson Club Parking

Diehard Ute
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
If I remember right the land to the north is just an open dirt field that they are using for Crimson Club Parking

It's not that simple

Devildog
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
That's a fair point. However, when my oldest son was 8, there was no need to spend $300 on a bat when a $25 bat would suffice.

Yeah Garth, aint that the truth... My 15 year old played baseball, football and hockey while he was growing. As he got older he had to make choices as the sports became more and more demanding on his time.

Football was the first to go as the hockey season is long and covered football. He added a second hockey travel team but kept baseball. He played hockey and baseball competing on three different house, and all star competitive teams until that was too much. Last year he decided just to play a house baseball team and concentrate on hockey. That was his last year of baseball. This year he played on a travel hockey team and his high school hockey team, and frankly that was a ton of hockey and I'm almost burned out.

He has a nice $500 bat and a couple sweet (ridiculously expensive) baseball gloves that sit in a bag in my garage.

mUUser
03-14-2013, 11:35 PM
.....and a couple sweet (ridiculously expensive) baseball gloves that sit in a bag in my garage.

Curious as to whatchya got sittin' around not being used?