PDA

View Full Version : Official NHL 2013 thread, or, the thread where only 3 posters participate

Pages : [1] 2

mpfunk
02-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Blackhawks still don't have a regulation of overtime loss. I'm glad that so many teams have had the pleasure of losing to the Blackhawks.

Blackhawks are playing a different game than everyone else. Ducks are probably the Blackhawks biggest competition right now.

Flystripper
02-19-2013, 12:51 PM
I will come here just to pitch in with Blackhawks and NHL talk since most of the hockey talk on CUF was with Utes...

mpfunk
02-19-2013, 01:21 PM
I will come here just to pitch in with Blackhawks and NHL talk since most of the hockey talk on CUF was with Utes...

Good to have you onboard. With hockeybeard signing up and his Penguins avatar, we may actually be able to exceed 3 posters contributing to this thread.

Redbird
02-19-2013, 02:17 PM
Blues were stranded at the Vancouver airport yesterday. They didn't get to St Louis until 5am this morning, and they play the Sharks tonight.

DrumNFeather
02-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Caps are off to a rough start. If they miss the playoffs, you gotta figure they'll blow it up...ore most of it, as Alex Ovetchkin is signed through like 2021.

mpfunk
02-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Caps are off to a rough start. If they miss the playoffs, you gotta figure they'll blow it up...ore most of it, as Alex Ovetchkin is signed through like 2021.

4 different posters. This thread has exceeded even my expectations.

Diehard Ute
02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the Avs have more injuries than points...at least Landeskog skated today.

Not real sure Sacco and company can turn things around, given Sakic's new role I'm hoping he takes over the front office in the next couple years.

mpfunk
02-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Seabrook out for the game against the Canucks tonight. After the breakdown against LA on Sunday and not having Seabrook tonight, I'm feeling a first regulation loss for the Blackhawks tonight.

Flystripper
02-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Seabrook being out hurts, but I think they will beat the Canucks. I think Coach Q will slide Leddy into a defensive pairing with Kieth. I like that pair quite a bit. It hurts defensive depth, but I don't think you will see a huge drop off in the Leddy/Kieth pairing. The reason we will beat the Canucks tonight will have more to do with the productivity of our "4th" line. They have been lights out. The hawks are so deep!

Joe Public
02-19-2013, 05:59 PM
The Red Wings will try to snap a three-game skid against Nashville tonight. Detroit is middling so far this year.

Nevertheless, here's a housewarming gift for the new thread:

http://www.partybusdetroit.com/detroit-red-wings/detroit-red-wings-logo.jpg

Flystripper
02-19-2013, 06:01 PM
that picture makes me want to vomit

mpfunk
02-19-2013, 06:05 PM
that picture makes me want to vomit

I'm pretty sure that picture has to be a violation of some sort of board rule. I also want to vomit.

Joe Public
02-19-2013, 06:07 PM
It matches the forum colors nicely.

Flystripper
02-19-2013, 07:14 PM
too many breakaways for the Hawks without converting.

Flystripper
02-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Hossa is so awesome

mpfunk
02-19-2013, 08:27 PM
One more period to tie the nhl record. This team is amazing.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Flystripper
02-19-2013, 09:13 PM
fucking cheap shot on Hossa again. I hope to god he is OK.

hostile
02-19-2013, 09:26 PM
I haven't followed hockey as much recently - Work, family, etc. I still check in on the Habs and Flyers, neither of which have been encouraging recently.

mpfunk
02-19-2013, 09:56 PM
fucking cheap shot on Hossa again. I hope to god he is OK.

This is why the Torres suspension wasn't enough, the nhl needs to send a stronger message. Thug teams like the canucks and coyotes are going to keep doing this shit because they know they cannot compete with the hawks without taking players out.

mpfunk
02-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Just watched the cheapshot. With Hansen knowing Hossa's concussion history that is as obvious of an attempt at headhunting as you will see in the NHL. Hossa was kicking their asses and in typical Canuck fashion when you cannot outskill, try to injure to gain advantage.

Hossa is one concussion away from ending his career and that is exactly what Hansen was trying to do. He shouldn't play another game this season and if that Red Wing discipline idiot had any balls, Hansen would be out of the league. There is no explanation for what Hansen did another than a deliberate attack at the head of a player with a history of concussions.

Flystripper
02-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Just watched the cheapshot. With Hansen knowing Hossa's concussion history that is as obvious of an attempt at headhunting as you will see in the NHL. Hossa was kicking their asses and in typical Canuck fashion when you cannot outskill, try to injure to gain advantage.

Hossa is one concussion away from ending his career and that is exactly what Hansen was trying to do. He shouldn't play another game this season and if that Red Wing discipline idiot had any balls, Hansen would be out of the league. There is no explanation for what Hansen did another than a deliberate attack at the head of a player with a history of concussions.

I really can't disagree. I was watching it live and I threw my coke zero across the room. It was a huge mess I had to clean up and I am still seething.

Redbird
02-19-2013, 10:36 PM
I didn't see the game. The Hawks are simply on another level.

The NHL needs to get serious about protecting their players.

Hockeybeard
02-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Wow, just hopped on to nhl.com to see the hit, or should I say forearm shiver to the back of the head. Very low by 'nucks. I hope Hansen gets a sizeable suspension for that. There is no room in the game for that anymore.

And Rebird, I'm with you - this post has exceeded my expectations for NHL talk on this forum. Long live hockey!

mpfunk
02-20-2013, 09:38 AM
This is why you the Canucks will never clean up their act. They encourage their players to take cheap shots and then hide claiming it is a "hockey play." It appears the term "hockey play" over the past year means, "take a cheap shot at Hossa's head and try to end his career."

Hansen on his cheap shot

Apparently I hit him in the back of the head, (that's) what the ref is telling me once I [came] down. It's a hockey play and we bumped together a little hard and he goes down. I can't really do anything about that. We both go for the puck and we ran into each other

Vigneault on the cheap shot

"It wasn't even a penalty," Vigneault said. "Both referees looked at the play. Until Toews went out to talk to them, it wasn't even a penalty."

Vigneault doesn't believe Hansen will be punished for the hit.

"Not a chance, not a chance," Vigneault said. "He was trying to grab a puck in the air. It's unfortunate if the young man is hurt. [Hansen] was trying to jump to get the puck. Stuff happens."

I said this in the hockey thread on the other board, the way an organization reacts to these types of hits tells the story of whether the player will reform or not. Pittsburgh threatened to cut Cooke because they would not tolerate his thug play. I've never been a Penguins fan, but I have complete respect for how they handled the Cooke situation. They created a culture where cheap shots were not allowed and Cooke knew he had to change.

When Duncan Keith threw an elbow at Sedin last year, the Blackhawks did not justify his actions. They acknowledged it was a mistake and took the consequences.

Teams like the Coyotes and the Canucks are ruining the NHL with their culture of accepted headhunting and thug play.

By the way this is the second Blackhawk that Hansen has injured this year. He is a thug, no doubt about it. He is also is a wuss as well. Bolland challenged him to drop the gloves and answer for his hit, which is the appropriate way to police the game, and he runs and cowers away.

mpfunk
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
Slow motion on the elbow makes it pretty damn clear it was a cheap shot and that it was intentional. The slow motion starts at about 1:30 in the video. At best it is a reckless play that needs to be punished. I'm expecting no suspension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fNxZaYKD7z4#!

Flystripper
02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Watching it makes me angry all over again. Worthy of a 10 game suspension but I expect he gets one game.

GUBA
02-20-2013, 12:47 PM
I am just stopping by to say Go Oilers!!

Redbird
02-20-2013, 01:49 PM
Lindy Ruff fired by the Sabres. Surprising, although Buffalo has possibly the best goaltender in the league (Miller) and the best forward (Vanek), but are scuffling.

Flystripper
02-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Watching it makes me angry all over again. Worthy of a 10 game suspension but I expect he gets one game.

looks like I was right

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8968422/jannik-hansen-vancouver-canucks-banned-1-game-hit-marian-hossa-chicago-blackhawks

Devildog
02-20-2013, 09:26 PM
The Blackhawks are insane this year.

I have several NHL teams that I like... not one of which is doing much this season.

SoCalPat
02-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Lindy Ruff fired by the Sabres. Surprising, although Buffalo has possibly the best goaltender in the league (Miller) and the best forward (Vanek), but are scuffling.

Not really. New owner has spent a lot of coin and isn't seeing the results. It's only surprising because Ruff has been around for as long as he has.

Hockeybeard
02-21-2013, 08:56 AM
I am of the mind that with the truncated season, the Sabres probably should have waited until the end of the season to replace him.

mpfunk
02-21-2013, 11:21 AM
The message that the NHL is sending with the Hansen suspension:

Dear Thug Teams,

Please feel free to continue to target star players on other teams to improve your chances of having your inferior talent win. However, please make sure to have the targeting done by players without a previous history of discipline. In the alternative, make sure the targeting happens in the terror dome a.k.a. behind the net.

Sincerely,

The Gutless Red Wing

Flystripper
02-21-2013, 11:47 AM
The message that the NHL is sending with the Hansen suspension:

Dear Thug Teams,

Please feel free to continue to target star players on other teams to improve your chances of having your inferior talent win. However, please make sure to have the targeting done by players without a previous history of discipline. In the alternative, make sure the targeting happens in the terror dome a.k.a. behind the talent.

Sincerely,

The Gutless Red Wing

Have you heard how Hoss is doing? I have been scouring the interwebs with no updates to be found.

mpfunk
02-21-2013, 12:03 PM
Have you heard how Hoss is doing? I have been scouring the interwebs with no updates to be found.

They are supposed to release an update today, but I haven't seen anything yet.

mpfunk
02-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Hossa to play tonight. As much as I hate the fact that the Blackhawks employ Carcillo, he is also back on the ice tonight and it couldn't come soon enough. The NHL has sent a loud and clear message that this is still a league for thugs. The Blackhawks need our thug to combat against the likes of Phoenix and Vancouver.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/8974716/marian-hossa-daniel-carcillo-chicago-blackhawks-return-face-san-jose-sharks

Redbird
02-22-2013, 09:44 PM
The hawks are fucking ridiculous.

mpfunk
02-22-2013, 11:15 PM
The hawks are fucking ridiculous.

Yes they are.

mpfunk
02-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Another game, another victory. It is nice to have Crawford back in net, although Emery filled in admirably for him. I'm a little concerned with Hossa coming back so fast. I hope they aren't rushing him.

15-0-3

I wouldn't be surprised if the first regulation loss comes this week to the Blues. This run cannot last forever.

mpfunk
02-25-2013, 08:19 PM
I forgot Oilers are the Blackhawks cryptonite. Looks like the run ends tonight.

Flystripper
02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I forgot Oilers are the Blackhawks cryptonite. Looks like the run ends tonight.

Nope Blackhawks win again! Hossa!

Redbird
02-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Chicago, your streak ends tonight.

Flystripper
02-28-2013, 10:23 AM
It will end sometime, but I can't pick against them right now.

mpfunk
02-28-2013, 12:31 PM
This is a terrible idea.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8991414/nhl-realignment-proposal-adds-playoff-wild-cards-drops-league-4-divisions-source-says

Flystripper
02-28-2013, 02:54 PM
This is a terrible idea.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8991414/nhl-realignment-proposal-adds-playoff-wild-cards-drops-league-4-divisions-source-says

not sure why they are messing with the playoffs and league format. It would be really weird to have the Redwings in a different conference.

Redbird
02-28-2013, 07:20 PM
This is a terrible idea.

Makes a ton of sense for Winnipeg and Columbus. Even though it eliminates the rivalries with the Hawks and Blues, Detroit will like being in the Eastern time zone.

My biggest issue is competitive balance, especially with the Yotes ongoing issues. Even though it benefits the Blues by being in the 14-team West, that isn't great for the league for it to be unbalanced.

mpfunk
02-28-2013, 09:07 PM
20 in a row.

Diehard Ute
02-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Avs match the Flames offer sheet to O'Reily, 2 years $10M, 6.5 of it next year

Somewhat surprised they matched.

Redbird
03-01-2013, 12:33 AM
20 in a row.

I expected a lot more from the Blues after 4 days off. Then the Hawks score a goal 12 fucking seconds into the game.

Y'all aren't going to lose a game until October.

mpfunk
03-01-2013, 01:54 PM
I expected a lot more from the Blues after 4 days off. Then the Hawks score a goal 12 fucking seconds into the game.

Y'all aren't going to lose a game until October.

This team is unreal. They start the season playing a ton of games on the road and win. They have played a lot of very good teams during their run and continue to win. They lose their starting goaltender and they continue to win.

Blackhawks goal differential is +27, the next best in the league is +16.

I've said it before, right now, the Blackhawks are playing a different game.

mpfunk
03-01-2013, 09:12 PM

Flystripper
03-01-2013, 11:14 PM

Amazing. That no look pass from Towes to Seabrook for the win was just filthy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Clark Addison
03-02-2013, 06:12 PM
The Hawks' start has almost convinced me to get Center Ice this year. I really wish I could be watching more of their games.

Redbird
03-02-2013, 06:17 PM
The Hawks' start has almost convinced me to get Center Ice this year. I really wish I could be watching more of their games.

The online package is $50. The TV package is $60. Completely worth it.

Dawminator
03-02-2013, 08:22 PM
I am satisfied with how the Penguins are playing. Blackhawks are the team to beat, but if its a Hawks-Pens cup final it could go either way.

mpfunk
03-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Blackhawks have got to improve the power play.

mpfunk
03-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Wake up Blackhawks. I don't want this streak to end at the hands of these bastards.

mpfunk
03-03-2013, 12:51 PM
KANER.

Flystripper
03-03-2013, 01:14 PM
What an amazing game. You have to hand it to Howard. That game should have been 3-0 before Tatars goal. Thank god for Kane. He has maybe been the best offensive player in all of the NHL this year. THat winning shootout goal was hilariously good.

mpfunk
03-04-2013, 11:18 AM
What an amazing game. You have to hand it to Howard. That game should have been 3-0 before Tatars goal. Thank god for Kane. He has maybe been the best offensive player in all of the NHL this year. THat winning shootout goal was hilariously good.

Always a great game when the Blackhawks beat the Red Wings. Kane has been amazing this year. Hilariously good is the best way to describe that shootout goal.

mpfunk
03-04-2013, 01:33 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/chi-patrick-kane-chicago-blackhawks-streak-20130304,0,2782174.column

Flystripper
03-05-2013, 07:20 PM
oh my god Blackhawks domination 4-1 in the first. I love this team so much.

Flystripper
03-05-2013, 07:24 PM
Hawks outshooting the Wild 17-6 at the end of the first.

mpfunk
03-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Hawks outshooting the Wild 17-6 at the end of the first.

Hawks are dominating tonight.

mpfunk
03-05-2013, 09:10 PM

Flystripper
03-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Blackhawks win...AGAIN!

Hockeybeard
03-06-2013, 04:32 PM
We should just rename this thread "The Blackhawks CircleJerk Thread"...

In all seriousness, it is quite the feat they have accomplished this year. Are you guys worried about not having any gas left in the tank come playoff time? (i'm thinking specifically of the San Jose Sharks of the last decade...)

mpfunk
03-06-2013, 04:50 PM

In all seriousness, it is quite the feat they have accomplished this year. Are you guys worried about not having any gas left in the tank come playoff time? (i'm thinking specifically of the San Jose Sharks of the last decade...)

I am very worried that the Blackhawks are peaking too early.

Flystripper
03-06-2013, 06:14 PM

I am always worried. I am most worried that Crawford and Emery won't be able to maintain their stellar play. However, I would be more worried if goal scoring was not coming from all 4 lines and if they were not finding ways to win games using a variety of styles. I don't think they will "hit a wall" offensively, but it isn't going to be easy to win the cup. It never is.

Flystripper
03-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Hawks win in the final minute! So fun!

Flystripper
03-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Nice goal by Toews to tie it up in the third and Carcillo right place right time with less than a minute in regulation. This team is so fun to watch.

Devildog
03-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Yep. But... damn, what they are doing right now is amazing.

Still, like Flystripper said, it is never easy to win the cup.

Even though the Blackhawks appear unbeatable today... If I had to bet between them and the field to win the cup... I'd take the field.

mpfunk
03-07-2013, 08:53 AM
I am always worried. I am most worried that Crawford and Emery won't be able to maintain their stellar play. However, I would be more worried if goal scoring was not coming from all 4 lines and if they were not finding ways to win games using a variety of styles. I don't think they will "hit a wall" offensively, but it isn't going to be easy to win the cup. It never is.

Blackhawks at the halfway point and have a point in every game. Blackhawks have earned 45 of the possible 48 points in the first 24 games. This has been unreal.

Great point about the Blackhawks finding ways to win games using a variety of styles. This team is very versatile and that is going to go a long way in helping them win the cup. No guarantees of course, but they are the favorites.

Flystripper
03-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Speaking of teams other than the Blackhawks winning the cup, Burnside is sticking with this Blues prediction from the start of the season. (This should make you happy Redbird)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9025162/five-reasons-st-louis-blues-win-stanley-cup

I agree with his number 2, 4 and 5 takes, the but I am not seeing his number 1 take at all. To be honest I don't think the Blackhawks care much about this streak. Don't get me wrong, I think they are having fun with it, but I don't see them pressing even a little bit when I watch them on the ice. They just play. If you have seen Toews' post-game interviews over the last games you can tell he is well aware that this streak absolutely nothing in the larger scheme of things other than it is a fun ride. Having been through a winning cup run as well as a couple of first round bounces, he knows the cup is not awarded in the regular season. The young captain is a great leader beyond his years and the team really takes cues from him.

I think his number 3 take is grasping at straws. Without Elliott getting his confidence back (which is totally possible) I don't see Allen (a rookie netminder) putting the team on his back on the way to a Stanley Cup.

The bottom line is that the Blues remain a strong Cup contender but Burnside is overselling it a bit right now.

Devildog
03-07-2013, 02:19 PM
What the Blackhawks are doing is more impressive (and more difficult) than the streak the Miami Heat have put together in basketball.

There are not too many out there that think the Heat will lose the NBA championship (barring any major injury).

Hockey is a different animal.

mpfunk
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Speaking of teams other than the Blackhawks winning the cup, Burnside is sticking with this Blues prediction from the start of the season. (This should make you happy Redbird)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9025162/five-reasons-st-louis-blues-win-stanley-cup

I agree with his number 2, 4 and 5 takes, the but I am not seeing his number 1 take at all. To be honest I don't think the Blackhawks care much about this streak. Don't get me wrong, I think they are having fun with it, but I don't see them pressing even a little bit when I watch them on the ice. They just play. If you have seen Toews' post-game interviews over the last games you can tell he is well aware that this streak absolutely nothing in the larger scheme of things other than it is a fun ride. Having been through a winning cup run as well as a couple of first round bounces, he knows the cup is not awarded in the regular season. The young captain is a great leader beyond his years and the team really takes cues from him.

I think his number 3 take is grasping at straws. Without Elliott getting his confidence back (which is totally possible) I don't see Allen (a rookie netminder) putting the team on his back on the way to a Stanley Cup.

The bottom line is that the Blues remain a strong Cup contender but Burnside is overselling it a bit right now.

Lots of grasping in that to justify the Blues over the Blackhawks right now. The Blues are still a legit cup contender and I don't want them in the 1st round. However, to use the streak against the Blackhawks is absurd. The core of this team has won a Stanley Cup and is well aware that regular season doesn't mean shit if you don't convert in the playoffs.

I'm with devildog, if I had to choose the field of the Blackhawks, I take the field. However, if I was given the choice of the Blackhawks or any other individual team, I'm taking the Blackhawks.

This team is good and this team has a ton of depth.

mpfunk
03-08-2013, 12:33 PM
NHLPA has approved the realignment plan. I really don't like the division, the playoff format, or really anything of this change. The Blackhawks - Red Wing rivalry is one of the best in professional sports and the best in hockey and they basically just killed it off.

I'm really kind of pissed the NHL gave in to the Red Wing's bitching about not being in the Eastern Conference.

Blackhawks are also getting screwed over as they are no longer in a division with any original six team.

Joe Public
03-08-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm pretty excited to see Detroit back with Toronto and Montreal, but I agree that realignment will impact Detroit/Chicago.

mpfunk
03-08-2013, 01:58 PM
What the Blackhawks are doing is more impressive (and more difficult) than the streak the Miami Heat have put together in basketball.

There are not too many out there that think the Heat will lose the NBA championship (barring any major injury).

Hockey is a different animal.

Blackhawks currently have 24 games straight earning at least one point. In the 24 games the Blackhawks have 18 regulation/overtime wins, 3 shootout wins, and 3 shootout losses. No regulation or overtime losses. In 24 games the Blackhawks have earned 45 out of 48 points.

Miami Heat on a 16 game winning streak. There really isn't much that needs to be added as there are no ties to be factored into the equation.

I'm going with the Blackhawks streak. I certainly recognize my biases: I prefer the NHL; I'm a Blackhawk's fan; and, I hate the Heat. However, here are my reasoning.

Hockey is a sport that requires more depth and contributions from more players to win. In hockey, you cannot rely on one amazing player to carry you like the Heat are doing with Bron Bron right now. No one player can dominate a hockey game the way an NBA player can dominate a game.

Blackhawks have suffered some pretty major injuries in this streak. The starting goaltender has missed multiple games and we have been without a lot of key contributors including games without Hossa, Seabrook, and Sharp.

Blackhawks streak is currently longer than the Heat's streak by 8 games.

Blackhawks as a team have been more impressive. Bron Bron as an individual player has certainly been more impressive than anyone on the Blackhawks.

Devildog
03-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Funk, I brought that up exactly because of the kinds of reasons you mentioned. My point was that most people see what the Heat are doing, the success they've had, and they naturally assume the Heat will repeat.

Basketball is more popular than hockey with the masses and many are familiar with the Heat's winning streak.

In hockey there are so many more players, and some teams like the Blackhawks have so much talent depth on the lines. It's a sprint sport where lines go as hard as they can for 90 seconds and then the next line jumps out.

Standout players like Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby (don't know if I should even be putting him in league with those guys yet), still can't make the kind of individual difference that a Jordan or James can in basketball.

Hockey relies on teamwork for success, and team chemistry and coordination are vital like they are in football,

If the Blackhawks continue to work together and produce results all over the ice, they will be a strong favorite going into the playoffs. It won't surprise me to see another team like the Kings (did last year) get their chemistry together late... and give them a run for the cup.

Love this sport... It will be interesting to watch the season play out.

I grew up in Colorado... and it won't hurt my feelings if the Avalanche miraculously beat a team they shouldn't tonight. :D

mpfunk
03-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Not looking good right now.

Redbird
03-09-2013, 12:52 AM

The Blues aren't playing well enough in front of the netminder, regardless of who it is. Allen might be the hottest of the bunch. Elliott has looked miserable this year.

It will be a fight to get into the postseason for us. I wouldn't count us among the contenders at this point.

Redbird
03-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Columbus is on a 5-game winning streak. They went 4-0-1 against Detroit this season. They're still not in the playoff conversation, but they won't be an easy out.

Also, the Oilers are up 4-0 on the Hawks in Chicago. They'd need to go 2-17-2 over the remainder of the season to miss the playoffs, so there shouldn't be any worry.

mpfunk
03-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Really tough couple of games for the Blackhawks. This team is about to get a nice couple of days off. 7 games in 11 nights really hurt the team over the end of that stretch.

Flystripper
03-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Every team is dealing with a brutal compressed schedule which is one of the reasons why the streak was freakishly amazing. It is nearly impossible to maintain a winning streak in a normal season let alone one such as this.

Flystripper
03-19-2013, 06:31 PM
just to get this thread back on track...Patrick Kane is good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raizv_vjPcc

mpfunk
03-19-2013, 06:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Raizv_vjPcc

Great way to get it back on track. He was channeling Dennis Savard on that one.

Devildog
03-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Great way to get it back on track.

Are you guys trying to get the thread or the Blackhawks back on track.

Sadly, I don't have anything else to contribute... All the teams I like... Stink this year.

Except LA (who could be better)... Go Kings!

Flystripper
03-19-2013, 08:52 PM
Are you guys trying to get the thread or the Blackhawks back on track.

Sadly, I don't have anything else to contribute... All the teams I like... Stink this year.

Except LA (who could be better)... Go Kings!

Already back on track. Three wins in a row!! In all seriousness though tomorrow night at Anaheim will be a great test.

Devildog
03-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Already back on track. Three wins in a row!! In all seriousness though tomorrow night at Anaheim will be a great test.

Honestly, I'm not the slightest bit surprised to see the Blackhawks winning again, and often. This looks like it's their year.

Redbird
03-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Columbus deserves a shout-out in this thread. They're playing tremendous hockey right now. Bobrovsky has put them right there in contention for a playoff spot.

I'm grateful for what John Davidson did in St Louis, and while he hasn't been in Columbus long enough to make a huge impact, the Rick Nash trade is looking pretty good right now.

Flystripper
03-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Those damn ducks!!!

Flystripper
03-20-2013, 10:37 PM
Cheap shot by bolig there

Redbird
03-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Wow, Ducks score 3 goals in the last 6 minutes to win. Helluva game.

Dawminator
03-26-2013, 10:37 PM
My Pens led by the greatest hockey player in the world right now (and it aint close) are at 13 games. At what point would their streak be more impressive then what the Hawks did earlier?

Devildog
03-26-2013, 11:32 PM
My Pens led by the greatest hockey player in the world right now (and it aint close) are at 13 games. At what point would their streak be more impressive then what the Hawks did earlier?

Here is a good comparison article.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=662043&print=true

These winning streaks (including what the Heat are doing in basketball) are great to watch. I find myself hoping history will be made.

Redbird
03-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Iginla a healthy scratch for Calgary tonight. A lot of speculation surrounding him going to Boston.

He's one of the most under-appreciated athletes in North America, maintaining loyalty to the franchise that drafted him and playing at a high level for many years.

mUUser
03-28-2013, 04:07 AM
Pens pick up a couple of sweet power forwards in Morrow, now Iginla. Moves that make it certain to be the PenHawks show this June. Should be a cup for the ages.

Dawminator
03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Woke up to the Igilna news. Thought for sure he was headed to B-Town. Shero strikes again. My best guess on what the Pens line up will look like when Malkin is back:

Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis
Neal-Malkin-Igilna
Morrow-Sutter-Bennett
Cook-Adams-Kennedy

That is basically two first lines and two third lines. That is scary good. Love it.

Hockeybeard
03-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Was awake last night and laid in bed giggling to myself after reading the Iginla trade.

Shero is god and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Lemieux dress for the playoffs! HOLY SHIT BALLS!

Still a long way to go to get that cup, but at least the Pens have a month to nail down the line combos and chemistry, get Malkin, Letand, and Fleury healthy, and go on a roll.

Dawminator
03-28-2013, 08:34 PM
Where did all the blackhawks fans go?

The streak is now at 14 and they are one win away from being the first team to go an entire calendar month without a loss. And in that game Iginla will be laced up in black and gold. Bring on the Islanders!

Dawminator
03-30-2013, 01:41 PM
15. Undefeated in March.

Flystripper
04-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Where did all the blackhawks fans go?

The streak is now at 14 and they are one win away from being the first team to go an entire calendar month without a loss. And in that game Iginla will be laced up in black and gold. Bring on the Islanders!

Still here! Hawks still leading the league in points. Now if we can just figure out how to beat the Ducks... It will be nice when we get Sharp and Hossa back.

Speaking of the Pens...how long is Crosby gonna be out for the Pens? Is he in danger of missing the playoffs? With a broken jaw I imagine there is a good chance he done for the year. This is really unfortunate since I am hoping for a Pens/Hawks final. I know winning in Hockey is way more than one player, but I can just imagine how awful as a Hawks fan it would be if either Toews or Kane were out indefinitely Hell it has been a bit rough these past couple of weeks with Sharp and Hossa out of the lineup.

With the compressed schedule injuries are having a huge impact.

Flystripper
04-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Hawks looking strong in the second period. Man, it is nice to have Hossa back.

DrumNFeather
04-05-2013, 06:50 AM
Caps move into first place in their division...which is amazing given how bad they've been.

Redbird
04-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Caps move into first place in their division...which is amazing given how bad they've been.

The 8th-place team in both conferences has more points than the Caps (or whomever the SE placeholder is). That's a bad division this year.

But a big win for the Blues last night. Nice time for Adam Cracknell to score his first two NHL goals.

Redbird
04-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Blues are on a tear. The trades for Leopold and Bouwmeester have made us a better team, and the goal-scoring from role players has been invaluable. Hopefully we can maintain this momentum into the postseason.

mpfunk
04-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Blackhawks have definitely cooled off. The Penguins and Ducks are going to be some serious competition, but Blackhawks are still right in the mix. First team to clinch a playoff spot :rave:

May the Sharks burn in hell and never win another game with their decision to pick-up Raffi To

mpfunk
04-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Blackhawks back on track. 5 straight wins. 9 point lead on the Ducks. Ducks with 6 games left, Hawks with 7 left.

4 points up on Pens for best record.

mpfunk
04-15-2013, 05:18 PM
I could live with the Blackhawks losing tonight to the Stars. Blackhawks will get the top spot locked up here soon, so there isn't much to play for, and it would be really nice to see the Stars catch the Red Wings and keep them out of the playoffs.

mpfunk
04-17-2013, 06:38 PM
A few interesting games tonight with playoff implications. Pens are already up 5-1 on Montreal. A win puts them 9 points up on Montreal for the best record in the East with 5 to play. Basically, Pens will lock up the top seed in the East with a win. It also puts them 4 points out of Chicago for the best record in the NHL with Chicago having 6 left to play and the Pens with 5.

Columbus/Anaheim. With a loss the Blackhawks lock up the top seed in the West. Columbus is tied with the Red Wings, but have a game on them for the final playoff spot.

Red Wings/Flames. Fighting with Columbus and Dallas for the final spot. Calgary really needs to get this win to help good triumph over pure evil. Red Wings missing the playoffs would be the best thing to happen in the NHL since the Blackhawks winning the cup.

mpfunk
04-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Pure evil is losing with ten minutes left.

mpfunk
04-17-2013, 11:24 PM
With the Anaheim shootout loss, Blackhawk clinch the too seed in the west. Detroit out of the playoffs with the Columbus win and Detroit loss. Good day for hockey.

Flystripper
04-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Blackhawks is the team to cheer and i'm very proud to say that i'm a very loyal fan of Blackhawks,and very much sure that they will not disappoint us in any part of the game..

Another fan of the Hawks! Welcome sir!

DrumNFeather
04-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Caps with the SE Division title over the Jets...now time to avoid bowing out in the first round.

mpfunk
04-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Blackhawks clinch the president's trophy.

Redbird
04-29-2013, 08:03 PM
The Stanley Cup playoffs begin tomorrow night. My playoff beard started Sunday.

Let's go Blues!

Flystripper
04-29-2013, 10:12 PM
The Stanley Cup playoffs begin tomorrow night. My playoff beard started Sunday.

Let's go Blues!

The blues finished strong. I am a bit worried about your guys but first things first. Down with the Wild! Lets go Hawks!

DrumNFeather
04-30-2013, 06:34 AM
Caps/Rangers is gonna be a grind it out series. There is a lot of confidence here in Washington despite the fact that the Rangers knocked us out last year and won all but one game vs. us in the regular season.

Flystripper
04-30-2013, 10:11 AM
This nearly brought a tear to my eye.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/23675/nothing-beats-the-playoffs-i-swear

I love the NHL playoffs

Redbird
04-30-2013, 12:25 PM
This nearly brought a tear to my eye.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/23675/nothing-beats-the-playoffs-i-swear

I love the NHL playoffs

Fantastic article, and I agree. This is my favorite time of year.

Redbird
04-30-2013, 04:40 PM
Putting my predictions out there:

Hawks over Wild in 5
Ducks over Wings in 6
Sharks over Canucks in 6
Blues over Kings in 7

Pens over Isles in 4
Sens over Habs in 6
Rangers over Caps in 7
Bruins over Leafs in 6

Hawks over Sharks in 6
Blues over Ducks in 6

Pens over Sens in 6
Rangers over Bruins in 7

Hawks over Blues in 7
Rangers over Pens in 6

Hawks over Rangers in 6

Hopefully I'm wrong about the Blues losing in the WCF.

Redbird
04-30-2013, 06:33 PM
Blues are playing really hard in the first period. They look awesome, but should be up more than 1-0. Gotta maintain this throughout the game and the series.

Redbird
04-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Overtime hockey x2. Ugh.

Redbird
04-30-2013, 09:50 PM
Blues were the better team most of the night. Glad to see them win it. The top line of Steen/Backes/Schwartz was awesome.

Flystripper
05-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Wow what a start to the playoffs. Two overtimes. The blues looked very solid. Stupid play by quick at the end. That series is probably going the distance. The hawks were tested tonight by the Wild. Nothing is easy in the post season.

Redbird
05-01-2013, 08:00 PM
I knew the Isles would be overmatched against Pittsburgh, but man, that was pretty bad tonight.

Also, the Bruins look like a playoff-tested team, and Toronto looks like, well, they haven't played in the postseason in approximately 9 years.

Hockeybeard
05-02-2013, 03:12 PM
WOOOOOO!!! what a game huh?

Man, I'm looking forward to the Caps v. Rangers tonight, along with Detroit v. Anaheim and MTL v. OTT series. What a great distraction from the football offseason.

Redbird
05-02-2013, 09:25 PM
WOOOOOO!!! what a game huh?

Man, I'm looking forward to the Caps v. Rangers tonight, along with Detroit v. Anaheim and MTL v. OTT series. What a great distraction from the football offseason.

Fuck that. Football season is a good distraction between NHL postseasons.

Redbird
05-02-2013, 10:34 PM
Kings kicked our ass the first two periods, but we looked awesome in the 3rd. Jackman's shot to win it was awesome.

Man I love this time of year.

mpfunk
05-03-2013, 02:53 PM

Amen.

Hockeybeard
05-03-2013, 03:40 PM

A little from Column A, a bit from Column B...

Redbird
05-04-2013, 03:33 PM
I thought for sure the Isles would get swept by the Pens. To see them overturn a 3-1 lead on the road the way they did is surprising and exciting. All the talent on that roster, with a little belief they could really push Pittsburgh this series.

mpfunk
05-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Blackhawks playing like shit. Really no excuse for the Blackhawks playing like this or letting the Wild get a game in this series. I'm starting to really worry about our cup chances. The fact that the first game was competitive and the Blackhawks may lose this game is really disappointing.

Flystripper
05-06-2013, 12:46 AM
Blackhawks playing like shit. Really no excuse for the Blackhawks playing like this or letting the Wild get a game in this series. I'm starting to really worry about our cup chances. The fact that the first game was competitive and the Blackhawks may lose this game is really disappointing.

Not too terribly worried yet. If they play like this again in game 4 I will be concerned. The Wild absolutely had to have this game and they nearly gave it away. The Hawks finally woke up during the last five minutes in regulation and I expect them to play they way in game 4.

Redbird
05-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Blues fucking blew this game. Undisciplined, outskated, outhit.

Redbird
05-06-2013, 10:56 PM
And now we're a tired hockey team with no discernible momentum having to play back-to-back nights with a long flight from STL to LA in-between.

Flystripper
05-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Hawks dominate defensively for the win. It ain't over but it's over.

Redbird
05-08-2013, 11:05 PM
This is killing me. Blues do everything well, and arguably outplayed the Kings, but can't score and lose in OT.

Fucking sucks.

Flystripper
05-09-2013, 09:20 AM
This is killing me. Blues do everything well, and arguably outplayed the Kings, but can't score and lose in OT.

Fucking sucks.

Yeah that was a weak goal to lose on. Tough loss for sure.

mpfunk
05-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Looks like the Blackhawks will get San Jose unless the Red Wings can get the next 2 games. I'm not looking forward to Raffi Torres injuring a player to make sure his inferior team can win. Blackhawks need to do the NHL a favor and end his career with a cheap shot. If the Red Wing discipline idiot doesn't have the balls to do what was required, we will need to take the matter into our own hands.

Flystripper
05-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Looks like the Blackhawks will get San Jose unless the Red Wings can get the next 2 games. I'm not looking forward to Raffi Torres injuring a player to make sure his inferior team can win. Blackhawks need to do the NHL a favor and end his career with a cheap shot. If the Red Wing discipline idiot doesn't have the balls to do what was required, we will need to take the matter into our own hands.

I am honestly very worried about what Torres will do. Which is the whole reason why he does what he does. It is fate for us to face his team for the third straight season (though it has been on three different teams) we need to exorcize this demon

Redbird
05-10-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm 3-for-3 in my playoff predictions so far. The Sens with Karlsson are a dangerous team, but the Habs might've been the coldest team coming into the postseason.

Hawks and Sharks just might be a 2nd-round match-up. It will be a very good series. This is the best Sharks team in many years, and they finished the season pretty strong, but it will take a terrific effort from Niemi. The Hawks looked good against everybody in the regular season, and the Sharks were no different.

I don't know how to feel about the Blues tonight. Hitchcock said Game 5 was one of St Louis' best performances all season, so if that's true, how can they respond with the necessary effort to overcome L.A. on the road?

mpfunk
05-10-2013, 09:09 PM
I hate this but I want pure evil to win. Delay a Torres cheap shot, get an easier second round matchup, and let the tougher opponents beat themselves up.

DrumNFeather
05-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Big OT win for the Caps last night. The game was all over the place and the Rangers looked like they wanted it more, but the Caps are still the more talented team. Hopefully we'll see them close it out in New York tomorrow.

Flystripper
05-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Sorry redbird. Tough loss to lose on a rocket from basically the blue line with 0.2 seconds left in the 2nd period.

mpfunk
05-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Looks like Torres attempt to end a Blackhawks career may have to wait.

mpfunk
05-13-2013, 12:50 PM
I love the matchup between the Blackhawks and the Red Wings. It will bring me great joy for the Blackhawks to send the Red Wings home.

Red Wings play a wide open style and that plays right into the Blackhawks hands. Red Wings are not going to beat the Blackhawks at our own game.

DrumNFeather
05-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Game 7 tonight here in Washington. The home team has won every game in the series thus far, but the Caps have not been playing the smartest hockey over the last few games. You can't give the other team 5 power plays and not draw any penalties...though that may just be a function of a bad officiating crew. Here's hoping for a game 7 win tonight!

mpfunk
05-13-2013, 01:33 PM
Kane should have been a finalist for the Hart trophy. Not sure what about Tavares fewer points and negative +/- made him a better candidate than Kane or Toews.

Flystripper
05-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Kane should have been a finalist for the Hart trophy. Not sure what about Tavares fewer points and negative +/- made him a better candidate than Kane or Toews.

The award should probably be Crosby's, but I agree that Kane deserved to be a finalist.

mpfunk
05-13-2013, 06:30 PM
The award should probably be Crosby's, but I agree that Kane deserved to be a finalist.

I agree. The award should go to Crosby. Kane or Toews will just have to settle for the Con Smythe.

Joe Public
05-13-2013, 06:33 PM
I love the matchup between the Blackhawks and the Red Wings. It will bring me great joy for the Blackhawks to send the Red Wings home.

Red Wings play a wide open style and that plays right into the Blackhawks hands. Red Wings are not going to beat the Blackhawks at our own game.

:(

DrumNFeather
05-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Well that sucked. More thoughts tomorrow.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Flystripper
05-13-2013, 11:06 PM
We maybe witnessed the biggest meltdown in NHL history tonight with the leafs. How the hell are you up 4-2 with 1 min 20'sec left and end up losing. Wow.

SoCalPat
05-14-2013, 08:05 AM
We maybe witnessed the biggest meltdown in NHL history tonight with the leafs. How the hell are you up 4-2 with 1 min 20'sec left and end up losing. Wow.

Couldn't happen to a better team, to the biggest douche-canoe fanbase in the entire NHL. The Muffled Laughs don't get nearly enough credit for being the arrogant pricks that they are. They're the New York Jets of the NHL -- they're legends in their minds only.

mpfunk
05-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Couldn't happen to a better team, to the biggest douche-canoe fanbase in the entire NHL. The Muffled Laughs don't get nearly enough credit for being the arrogant pricks that they are. They're the New York Jets of the NHL -- they're legends in their minds only.

I was curious what type of post would get a Sabres fan off the sidelines during the playoffs this year.

I'm not aware of the problems with Maple Leaf fans, but I do know that no fanbase could possibly be worse than Detroit Red Wing fans*

*This is not intended to be an attack on Joe Public. I have no problem with him, other than his terrible choice of a hockey team.

Flystripper
05-14-2013, 02:39 PM
I was curious what type of post would get a Sabres fan off the sidelines during the playoffs this year.

I'm not aware of the problems with Maple Leaf fans, but I do know that no fanbase could possibly be worse than Detroit Red Wing fans*

*This is not intended to be an attack on Joe Public. I have no problem with him, other than his terrible choice of a hockey team.

I endorse this post!

Dawminator
05-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Have none of you dealt with flyers fans? They suck worse then byu fans and that is saying something.

SoCalPat
05-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Have none of you dealt with flyers fans? They suck worse then byu fans and that is saying something.

I strongly endorse this post. Any Sabres fan would tell you that Leafs and Flyers fans are the worst. Sabres fans hate Philly because we've met them in the postseason more than any other team. The rest of the East hates Philly because of proximity -- outside of Winnepeg, there isn't a team in the East that really doesn't have a strong Philly presence in its arena whenever the Flyers come to town.

SoCalPat
05-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Blackhawk fans your age wouldn't know. Toronto largely sucked when it was in the West (save for 2-3 years with Gilmour, Clark, etc.) and now that they're in the East, your exposure to them is limited.

Flystripper
05-15-2013, 11:47 AM
here we go again...I hate Raffi Torres so much

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9276842/2013-nhl-playoffs-san-jose-sharks-raffi-torres-knocks-los-angeles-kings-center-jarret-stoll-game-1-hit

mpfunk
05-15-2013, 12:11 PM

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9276842/2013-nhl-playoffs-san-jose-sharks-raffi-torres-knocks-los-angeles-kings-center-jarret-stoll-game-1-hit

That right there is why he should have been given a lifetime ban last year. It was only a matter of time before he head hunted again. He realized that his team was overmatched and since he adds no value to the team, he again tried to take out a player. Maybe you could give the benefit of the doubt to another player, but Torres history speaks for itself, he was headhunting.

mpfunk
05-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Beating the Red Wings is always great.

mpfunk
05-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Blackhawks are 20/20 on the penalty kill in the playoffs.

Dawminator
05-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Blackhawks are 20/20 on the penalty kill in the playoffs.

That is impressive. Special teams will be fun to watch if we get a Pens-Hawks matchup in the cup finals. Pens have a potent powerplay to say the least. Their PK is at about 93%, not 100% but pretty darn good. That could be a series for the ages.

GarthUte
05-16-2013, 02:24 PM

After looking at that, I did a bit more looking about Torres and found this:

http://holdthepoint.com/2013/05/15/photographic-proof-why-torres-should-be-suspended-cuz-its-a-head-shot/

Flystripper
05-17-2013, 11:49 AM
After looking at that, I did a bit more looking about Torres and found this:

http://holdthepoint.com/2013/05/15/photographic-proof-why-torres-should-be-suspended-cuz-its-a-head-shot/

pretty persuasive.

Torres is a habitual offender that appears will NOT change the way he plays. How many times will the NHL allow for this clown to continue his antics before they finally say that they are done with him and he is gone for good? I basically root against any team that he is on. I loved the Kings coming back on the Sharks last night, and my love for that was about 95% Torres hate.

mpfunk
05-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Fucking unacceptable the way the Blackhawks are playing right now. There is no excuse for this team to ever be outplayed by the Detroit Red Wings, none whatsoever. Wake the hell up in the third period and put these bastards away. Blackhawks play at our level, he would win this going away, but they aren't playing that way right now.

Joe Public
05-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Chicago/Detroit is good for the NHL. Game 3 will be exciting.

Flystripper
05-20-2013, 12:18 PM
The Hawks really need this one tonight!

I am glad Stalberg is skating tonight. When you have the fastest skater in the NHL you have to put him on the ice. I think Quinville messed up with his decision of putting Bolland on the third line and sitting Stalberg. The Blackhawks' third line has been sneaky good all year and I am happy they are going to get back to that chemistry. Bolland may be the odd man out here, but if the Hawks are not playing Vancouver he seems to go MIA anayway. I think Stalberg puts that breakaway in the back of the net during Saturday's game, and then who knows? Ya gotta elevate the puck when the goalie goes down Bolland...just sayin.

mpfunk
05-21-2013, 08:08 AM
There is nothing I like less in sports than watching the Blackhawks lose to the damn Red Wings. The Blackhawks got absolutely screwed in that game on the goal that was waived off.

Flystripper
05-21-2013, 11:12 AM
that call was complete garbage.

Flystripper
05-21-2013, 12:28 PM
Are the Hawks the 1-seed? Would this be an historic upset of epic proportions, or is it pretty typical in hockey?

Upsets are more frequent in hockey. The kings won it all as an 8 seed last year on the back of their goal tending. If you have a hot goalie you can ride him to a Stanley cup, and right now, Howard for the Redwings is playing out of his mind.

Joe Public
05-22-2013, 10:14 AM
When you have the fastest skater in the NHL you have to put him on the ice. I think Quinville messed up with his decision of putting Bolland on the third line and sitting Stalberg.

I think coaching decisions have been a significant factor over the last two games. Howard is playing well, too.

Diehard Ute
05-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Patrick Roy has been named Head Coach and Vice President of Hockey Operations for the Avalanche. This could be interesting.

mpfunk
05-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Jimmy Howard deserves a fate worse than Nate Cooper. This one thing that I absolutely hate about hockey. You can have a far superior team in every way, but a goalie gets hot and you are out. Blackhawks are more talented and deeper at every position on the ice, but goaltender. It really isn't a close call between the 2 teams.

Unless the Blackhawks come back and win this, the season was an absolutely awful season. It is one thing to not get the cup after this great season, but to lose in the playoffs to the Red Wings is the absolute worst. I would have preferred to get knocked out in the 1st round. What a shitty season.

Dawminator
05-24-2013, 10:53 AM
So I am 28 years old and have been a fan of hockey since about 1996 (my earliest memory of following the Penguins). I hated the Redwings. In that time frame they have won four Stanley Cups, one of them came against my Pens. The year they beat us (2008) I gained a ton of respect for how they play the game. I played hockey for about 10 years (not very well) and what they did as a team amazed me. They are like a well oiled machine; almost robotic. It was staggering. My BIL is from Chicago and is a Hawks fan, and I know he hates it when I say this but I no longer hate the Redwings. I respect them. I am not sure there is a better player in the NHL when it comes to neutralizing the opponents best player then Hank Zetterburg. While Howard has been standing on his head, Zetts has completely taken Toews out of the series and even frustrated him which resulted in a very poor showing last night which played a huge part in the CHI loss. While I was hoping for a Hawks-Pens final I would love to see another Wings-Pens matchup. That is good hockey.

Another note, and this is bound to ruffle more then a few feathers because he is such a polarizing figure, but is there any doubt that Crosby is the best in the game? Toews is good but has vanished, Ovechkin is the best pure goal scorer but was also MIA, Tavares has promising upside but still has a ways to go to get to Sid's level, Stamkos is skilled but has A LOT to prove, Datsuyk is better on defense then Crosby but is not nearly as explosive. Malkin is good but sometimes sloppy. While I think any of the above players can be mentioned along with Crosby as the best players in the game, I think Sid is separating himself as the clear leader.

My rankings of the best players:

1. Crosby
2. Datsuyk
3. Malkin
4. Ovechkin
5. Toews
6. Tavares
7. Stamkos

Here is to closing out round 2 tonight in the Burgh! Go Pens!

Dawminator
05-24-2013, 11:19 PM
The Pens are absolutely rolling right now. I don't think there is a defense good enough to stop them from scoring goals (keep in mind Ottawa was one of the best at least on paper defensively during the regular season). The question will be can they stop other teams from scoring. Vokoun has been solid in goal since relieving Flower. 6-1 with a pretty good save % and GAA. If they can deal MAF they should and use the saved $$$ to secure Malkin and Letang. A likely Bruins-Pens matchup should be intriguing.

Pens in 6.

mpfunk
05-24-2013, 11:22 PM
So I am 28 years old and have been a fan of hockey since about 1996 (my earliest memory of following the Penguins). I hated the Redwings. In that time frame they have won four Stanley Cups, one of them came against my Pens. The year they beat us (2008) I gained a ton of respect for how they play the game. I played hockey for about 10 years (not very well) and what they did as a team amazed me. They are like a well oiled machine; almost robotic. It was staggering. My BIL is from Chicago and is a Hawks fan, and I know he hates it when I say this but I no longer hate the Redwings. I respect them. I am not sure there is a better player in the NHL when it comes to neutralizing the opponents best player then Hank Zetterburg. While Howard has been standing on his head, Zetts has completely taken Toews out of the series and even frustrated him which resulted in a very poor showing last night which played a huge part in the CHI loss. While I was hoping for a Hawks-Pens final I would love to see another Wings-Pens matchup. That is good hockey.

Another note, and this is bound to ruffle more then a few feathers because he is such a polarizing figure, but is there any doubt that Crosby is the best in the game? Toews is good but has vanished, Ovechkin is the best pure goal scorer but was also MIA, Tavares has promising upside but still has a ways to go to get to Sid's level, Stamkos is skilled but has A LOT to prove, Datsuyk is better on defense then Crosby but is not nearly as explosive. Malkin is good but sometimes sloppy. While I think any of the above players can be mentioned along with Crosby as the best players in the game, I think Sid is separating himself as the clear leader.

My rankings of the best players:

1. Crosby
2. Datsuyk
3. Malkin
4. Ovechkin
5. Toews
6. Tavares
7. Stamkos

Here is to closing out round 2 tonight in the Burgh! Go Pens!

I won't argue about Crosby being the best, but leaving Kane out of the top 7 I will argue about. Toews has had a bad series but no way I trade him for Datsuyk or Malkin.

Joe Public
05-25-2013, 11:42 AM
This one thing that I absolutely hate about hockey. You can have a far superior team in every way, but a goalie gets hot and you are out. Blackhawks are more talented and deeper at every position on the ice, but goaltender. It really isn't a close call between the 2 teams.

Detroit has been on the other end of this in recent history (Giguere, Roloson, etc.), and it leaves a bad taste. Both teams take the ice, though, and have their chance.

While I was hoping for a Hawks-Pens final I would love to see another Wings-Pens matchup. That is good hockey.

I was thinking about this as well earlier this week. That would be a fun match-up. San Jose often has Detroit's number, though, and Chicago isn't out of it yet, either, so I'm just enjoying the ride for as far as it goes.

Joe Public
05-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Justin Abdelkader is like a box of chocolates.

Joe Public
05-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Down to game 7 now. Chicago definitely has the momentum. It should be an exciting game.

Flystripper
05-27-2013, 10:48 PM
That penalty shot was a marginal call at best but I will take it. Huge sigh of relief for hawks fans.

Devildog
05-28-2013, 08:21 AM
The Blackhawks are insane this year.

I have several NHL teams that I like... not one of which is doing much this season.

Back on February 20 I made the quote above... How short sighted I was.

This strike/lockout shortened season has been exciting. The playoffs ended up featuring several teams I follow. My kid is a major Red-Wings fan, the Penguins, Kings, and Bruins are all in the mix.

These game 7 series between LA and San Jose... and especially Chicago and Detroit are outstanding.

I realize this goes against the grain around here but, GO REDWINGS!

Flystripper
05-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Back on February 20 I made the quote above... How short sighted I was.

This strike/lockout shortened season has been exciting. The playoffs ended up featuring several teams I follow. My kid is a major Red-Wings fan, the Penguins, Kings, and Bruins are all in the mix.

These game 7 series between LA and San Jose... and especially Chicago and Detroit are outstanding.

I realize this goes against the grain around here but, GO REDWINGS!

That's OK JoePublic needs some company. It has to be uncomfortable rooting for pure evil all alone.

mpfunk
05-28-2013, 04:51 PM
That's OK JoePublic needs some company. It has to be uncomfortable rooting for pure evil all alone.

I guess someone has to embrace pure evil. There has to be opposition in all things.

Devildog
05-29-2013, 07:58 AM
It's good to see the Kings advance.

Now let's get going there Hockeytown.

mpfunk
05-29-2013, 08:55 PM
Blackhawks absolutely hosed on waiving off that goal. An inexcusable mistake and if the Blackhawks lose this series on that call, I'm going to riot in Murray.

Jarid in Cedar
05-29-2013, 09:06 PM
I actually saw that call before the stream I was watching was shut down. I really hope Detroit wins just so we can see the one man riot in Murray. You better make it big enough to get on national news.

Heh.

mpfunk
05-29-2013, 09:09 PM
It would have been an epic riot. I would just like to apologize in advance. I'm really hoping that God did not answer my prayer that I would trade the Utes losing the next 5 games to BYU in return for the Blackhawks triumphing over pure evil.

Flystripper
05-29-2013, 10:45 PM
That's ok I was trading the next 5 BYU losses to the utes for a hawks victory so it all balances out.

Dawminator
05-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Its all futile anyway. The Penguins are winning the cup this year.

Devildog
05-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Blackhawks absolutely hosed on waiving off that goal. An inexcusable mistake and if the Blackhawks lose this series on that call, I'm going to riot in Murray.

I was cheering for the Wings and could clearly see the Hawks got screwed on that call.

It worked out as it should have in OT. The team that deserved it more... won.

mpfunk
05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
Its all futile anyway. The Penguins are winning the cup this year.

I like the Blackhawks chances against the Penguins. I'm more concerned about the Kings.

Flystripper
05-30-2013, 12:30 PM
I like the Blackhawks chances against the Penguins. I'm more concerned about the Kings.

I am with you. The Pens are skilled but Quick gives me much more concern than Vokoun. A grinding style does not favor us and the Kings love to grind.

Joe Public
05-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Well, the series definitely delivered. OT in game 7 to decide it. Too bad Detroit couldn't find a way to win one of the last three, but I'm not surprised with this year's Chicago team. Beating a 2 seed and taking the 1 seed to game 7 is respectable for Detroit this year. Chicago/L.A. should be good.

mpfunk
05-30-2013, 04:59 PM
Well, the series definitely delivered. OT in game 7 to decide it. Too bad Detroit couldn't find a way to win one of the last three, but I'm not surprised with this year's Chicago team. Beating a 2 seed and taking the 1 seed to game 7 is respectable for Detroit this year. Chicago/L.A. should be good.

I'm impressed that Pure Evil did as well as they did this year in the playoffs. I really though the Blackhawks would have had that series wrapped up in 5 games or 6 games tops.

Now if only Pure Evil hadn't destroyed the best rivalry in sports by pushing Gary Bettman to move them to the East.

Devildog
05-31-2013, 06:19 AM
OK so the last four Stanley Cup winners are all still in the mix for this years cup.

There are only a handful of us posting on this, and I'm pretty sure I can guess who you guys think will be present in the finals.

Still, I'm thinking it's gonna be a Penguins - Blackhawks finals. Which after considering the talent and the performance of these two teams this year, makes sense to me.

LA and Boston are good teams this year also... but I don't think, they have enough pure skill to overcome what the Penguins and Blackhawks have this year.

Hockey is a sport where chemistry and emotion can play as big a role as it does in any other sport... But if the most talented teams play at their own best. I suspect it will be Pittsburgh and Chicago.

Too bad because I'd like to see Trevor Lewis bring the cup back to SLC again.

mpfunk
06-03-2013, 04:03 PM
It is great ending the weekend with the Blackhawks being up 2-0. I for one say bring on any back-to-back games in this series. Blackhawks really benefited from the back-to-back with our superior depth.

I'm still worried about this series, but less worried. The 1st period of game 1 where the Blackhawks dominated outshooting the Kings 17-2 and were down 1-0 scares the hell out of me. If Quick gets hot, it may not matter if you are outplaying the Kings.

Flystripper
06-03-2013, 04:15 PM
It is great ending the weekend with the Blackhawks being up 2-0. I for one say bring on any back-to-back games in this series. Blackhawks really benefited from the back-to-back with our superior depth.

I'm still worried about this series, but less worried. The 1st period of game 1 where the Blackhawks dominated outshooting the Kings 17-2 and were down 1-0 scares the hell out of me. If Quick gets hot, it may not matter if you are outplaying the Kings.

I am totally with you on this. I loved the Hawks chasing Quick out on Sunday. I wish I could say I think it will impact his play on Tuesday, but unfortunately I think he will be on point. I expect us to lose on Tues.

mpfunk
06-04-2013, 11:13 AM
I am totally with you on this. I loved the Hawks chasing Quick out on Sunday. I wish I could say I think it will impact his play on Tuesday, but unfortunately I think he will be on point. I expect us to lose on Tues.

I'm not expecting a win tonight either. Game 4 is really going to be the key for the Blackhawks in this series. They get that win and they will close this thing out in 5 or 6. They lose the next 2 and this series is going 7 and I don't like the Blackhawks chances against Quick in a game 7 situation. I also am really pissed at how the Penguins/Bruins series is going. Pens have got to come back and make that a tough fought 7 game series.

mpfunk
06-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Looks like the Blackhawks are going to stick with the cheap goaltender route. Crawford has been very good and will get some play in the free agent market in 2014. Crawford will likely price himself out the Blackhawks with the upcoming Bickell extension and all the money we have committed to the blueline. So bring in this guy next year for cheap as a backup and use him to replace Crawford in the 2014-2015 season. We have had good success with Antti's in the past.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/9337784/chicago-blackhawks-finland-goaltender-antti-raanta-agree-deal

Flystripper
06-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Looks like the Blackhawks are going to stick with the cheap goaltender route. Crawford has been very good and will get some play in the free agent market in 2014. Crawford will likely price himself out the Blackhawks with the upcoming Bickell extension and all the money we have committed to the blueline. So bring in this guy next year for cheap as a backup and use him to replace Crawford in the 2014-2015 season. We have had good success with Antti's in the past.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nhl/story/_/id/9337784/chicago-blackhawks-finland-goaltender-antti-raanta-agree-deal

I saw that yesterday and had the same thought...looks like it will be bye-bye Crawford. I hope you leave the same way Nieme left...as a Stanley Cup Champion!

Devildog
06-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Wow. The Bruins are destroying the Penguins.

mpfunk
06-06-2013, 02:43 PM
The game tonight is going to be huge for the Blackhawks. You can't have a tough 7 game series while the Bruins are sitting and resting for the Stanley Cup final. If you are ranking the goaltenders left in the playoffs it is:

1) Quick
2) Rask
3) Crawford
4) Vokoun/Fleury

I'm really worried about the Blackhawks getting through a murders row of Howard/Quick/Rask in 3 series.

Flystripper
06-06-2013, 04:53 PM
The game tonight is going to be huge for the Blackhawks. You can't have a tough 7 game series while the Bruins are sitting and resting for the Stanley Cup final. If you are ranking the goaltenders left in the playoffs it is:

1) Quick
2) Rask
3) Crawford
4) Vokoun/Fleury

I'm really worried about the Blackhawks getting through a murders row of Howard/Quick/Rask in 3 series.

I don't feel good about tonight given we are going to be without Kieth's nearly 30 minutes of ice time. I know Brookbank won't get all of his minutes but Brookbank for Kieth isn't exactly a good trade for us. Stupid High stick by Kieth. He is lucky it wasn't 2 games.

Flystripper
06-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Huge huge win. Kings fans in this la bar hate me right now. He'll yes. Go hawks!!!!

mpfunk
06-07-2013, 08:04 AM
Huge huge win. Kings fans in this la bar hate me right now. He'll yes. Go hawks!!!!

Huge is right. It is a series changer. I'm finally able to relax a bit in this series, but I still know the Kings can win this thing.

Hjalmarsson was huge in that game. He filled in quite nicely for Keith in the top spot on defense. This game really highlighted the depth that the Blackhawks have on the blueline. I cannot emphasize enough how I agree with the Blackhawks philosophy of investing money into the blueline.

Bickell was huge again and just keeps increasing the amount of money he is going to earn in free agency. Blackhawks need to hold on to Bickell, although it might come at the cost of losing Hossa, which I don't want. However, I'm going to enjoy this while it lasts and deal with the Hossa elephant at the end of the season.

mpfunk
06-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Poor John Tortorella.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/john-tortorella-pacing-around-penn-station-screami,32726/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=standard-post:headline:default

Redbird
06-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Go Bruins.

Flystripper
06-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Go Bruins.

:mad:

mpfunk
06-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Go Bruins.

:flamethrower:
:uzi:Redbird

mpfunk
06-10-2013, 02:05 PM
So ESPN had one of the best headlines ever after the Blackhawks-Kings series. I sadly forgot to do a print screen on it.

The headline was "Behold, the King Slayer" above a picture of Patrick Kane or should I say, Hatrick Kane.

Flystripper
06-10-2013, 02:57 PM
So ESPN had one of the best headlines ever after the Blackhawks-Kings series. I sadly forgot to do a print screen on it.

The headline was "Behold, the King Slayer" above a picture of Patrick Kane or should I say, Hatrick Kane.

Nice!

Flystripper
06-11-2013, 02:53 PM
This is going to be an interesting Stanley Cup Final.

Forwards
Will Chicago's superior skill and speed in the offensive zone be able to make the most of the few opportunities they will get with Chara and Seidenberg in front of Raask? Is Bickell up to the task of creating net presence with Chara trying to move him out of the crease? Will Krejci and Horton be able to keep up their incredible play for Boston? I feel that Boston's offensive stats are a bit inflated due to playing Pittsburgh in the last round, but you can't deny that Krejci, Horton have been pretty incredible. I give a slight edge to Chicago here only because of depth. I feel that their third and 4th lines with Shaw, Saad, Kruger, Stalberg, and Frolik have more pop and skill than what Boston's line 3 and 4.

Defense
Chara could win the Norris trophy every year. He is the gold standard for a defensemen. IN addition, Chara's running mates have surprisingly been able to come up with some offense from the point as well this postseason. (Krug and Boychek both have 4 and 5 goals a piece) I don't give a ton of weight to the goals from the Bruin's defense due to the horrific defense they faced in Pittsburgh. The Hawks are deeper along the blue line, but defensemen take longer shifts in the playoffs. While superior depth will keep the Hawks' defense fresh, Chara is on the ice 50% of the game in the playoffs. The Hawks' defensemen transition from defense to offense better than any other defensive unit. Their ability to make accurate stretch passes out of the zone has been a HUGE key to the Hawks offensive success. The Hawks will be fresh with better depth, but I give the slight edge to Boston here based on the force of Chara.

Goalies
Rask has been the best goalie of the postseason, period. With all due respect to Quick, Rask has been better, and made Crosby and Co. look human. Crawford still gives up too many meaty rebounds and lets some softies get by despite his very good numbers. I am probably overly critical of Crawford, but it is how I feel. I trust him much more than I used to, but some doubt still remains. The edge goes to Boston.

Special Teams
Both teams have been great at killing penalties, and pretty awful at the power play. However, Chicago has the best at the penalty kill in the post season with only giving up three goals in 57 penalty kills. Most people are saying that this series will be won with 5-5 hockey. This is the conventional wisdom, but I think that if any team can get an advantage on the powerplay they will win the series. I am not necessarily predicting that either team will get an advantage, because both teams are so good at the penalty kill; however, if any team has a chance to increase their production with the man advantage it is Chicago. Their offensive skill is superior which should eventually translate to better powerplay opportunities The special teams edge goes to Chicago and it would not shock me if it was the difference in the series.

Coaching and Intangibles
This will be a close series and I believe that it will likely go seven games. Both coaches are great and have Stanley Cup wins. Chicago has the home ice advantage which will help with faceoffs and mixing up the lines. The edge here goes to Chicago.

I think Chicago wins in seven games and I can't wait for it to start!

mpfunk
06-11-2013, 03:45 PM
This is going to be an interesting Stanley Cup Final.

Forwards
Will Chicago's superior skill and speed in the offensive zone be able to make the most of the few opportunities they will get with Chara and Seidenberg in front of Raask? Is Bickell up to the task of creating net presence with Chara trying to move him out of the crease? Will Krejci and Horton be able to keep up their incredible play for Boston? I feel that Boston's offensive stats are a bit inflated due to playing Pittsburgh in the last round, but you can't deny that Krejci, Horton have been pretty incredible. I give a slight edge to Chicago here only because of depth. I feel that their third and 4th lines with Shaw, Saad, Kruger, Stalberg, and Frolik have more pop and skill than what Boston's line 3 and 4.

Defense
Chara could win the Norris trophy every year. He is the gold standard for a defensemen. IN addition, Chara's running mates have surprisingly been able to come up with some offense from the point as well this postseason. (Krug and Boychek both have 4 and 5 goals a piece) I don't give a ton of weight to the goals from the Bruin's defense due to the horrific defense they faced in Pittsburgh. The Hawks are deeper along the blue line, but defensemen take longer shifts in the playoffs. While superior depth will keep the Hawks' defense fresh, Chara is on the ice 50% of the game in the playoffs. The Hawks' defensemen transition from defense to offense better than any other defensive unit. Their ability to make accurate stretch passes out of the zone has been a HUGE key to the Hawks offensive success. The Hawks will be fresh with better depth, but I give the slight edge to Boston here based on the force of Chara.

Goalies
Rask has been the best goalie of the postseason, period. With all due respect to Quick, Rask has been better, and made Crosby and Co. look human. Crawford still gives up too many meaty rebounds and lets some softies get by despite his very good numbers. I am probably overly critical of Crawford, but it is how I feel. I trust him much more than I used to, but some doubt still remains. The edge goes to Boston.

Special Teams
Both teams have been great at killing penalties, and pretty awful at the power play. However, Chicago has the best at the penalty kill in the post season with only giving up three goals in 57 penalty kills. Most people are saying that this series will be won with 5-5 hockey. This is the conventional wisdom, but I think that if any team can get an advantage on the powerplay they will win the series. I am not necessarily predicting that either team will get an advantage, because both teams are so good at the penalty kill; however, if any team has a chance to increase their production with the man advantage it is Chicago. Their offensive skill is superior which should eventually translate to better powerplay opportunities The special teams edge goes to Chicago and it would not shock me if it was the difference in the series.

Coaching and Intangibles
This will be a close series and I believe that it will likely go seven games. Both coaches are great and have Stanley Cup wins. Chicago has the home ice advantage which will help with faceoffs and mixing up the lines. The edge here goes to Chicago.

I think Chicago wins in seven games and I can't wait for it to start!

I agree with everything except giving the edge to the Bruins on the blueline. I agree Chara is the best defenseman in the series, but that does not give the Bruins the advantage. Chara isn't that much of an improvement over Duncan Keith. Depth on the blueline is worth more than you are stating. I give a solid edge to the Blackhawks on both defense and forwards.

Flystripper
06-12-2013, 01:13 PM
I am not a fan of the Bollig for Stalberg tinker that coach Q is going with on the 4th line. Stalberg might be the fastest guy in the NHL, and though he has not been awesome in the playoffs, he is always a threat to open it up with his speed. Bollig give us more size, but it isn't like he brings the necessary level of skill (like Bickell) to be effective with those dirty pucks in the crease. I don't think this is the best idea.

Flystripper
06-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Chelsea Dagger all night long!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGdnkxb9FZ8

Flystripper
06-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Hopefully this song will give the Bruins the same nightmares it gives the Canucks. This cracks me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3cV688Fi-g

Redbird
06-12-2013, 10:18 PM
This fucking game. Jeez. We get a minimum of three more between these teams.

Flystripper
06-12-2013, 10:37 PM
It's killing me but it is awesome as a fan.

mpfunk
06-12-2013, 10:41 PM
It's killing me but it is awesome as a fan.

It is killing me too.

Flystripper
06-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Fuck yes fuck yes hawks win hawks win.

mpfunk
06-12-2013, 11:09 PM
Fuck yes fuck yes hawks win hawks win.

I endorse this post.

Flystripper
06-12-2013, 11:26 PM
Omg if that is what we are going to get this series holy shit that is what makes the Stanley Cup the best playoffs in sports. Wow. Just. Wow.

mpfunk
06-13-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm thrilled with the win, but not happy with the way the Blackhawks played last night. Far too sloppy and gave up way too many scoring chances, that is not Blackhawks defense. Crawford was insane last night. Maybe it is time that people, me included, start giving Crawford more credit. Rask faced more shots, but Crawford outplayed him last night. Boston had more quality scoring chances.

Blackhawks need to regroup and play better than they did last night in game 2. I'm a little pissed that there is a 2 day layoff. I want short turnarounds for the Blackhawks to exploit our superior depth.

mpfunk
06-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Bruins are a great team with great depth, but the Blackhawks have a deeper team. I'm always amazed when the Q-stache scratches Stalberg from the lineup. There are few teams that have the luxury to put that caliber of player on the bench.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25184/hawks-depth-players-make-the-difference

I'm not thrilled with how the Blackhawks played last night. It was far from their best game, but I'm happy that the Blackhawks got a win playing the Bruin's style last night.

Bruin's may win, but this Blackhawk team is not the Penguins. While the Blackhawks prefer an open attacking style, they aren't going to be completely stopped by a tough physical team like the Bruins. Blackhawks already got through a tough physical team in the Kings in the previous round.

However, Hossa, Kane, Toews, and Sharp are going to have to show up better in the next game. This really is going to be a great series.

Flystripper
06-13-2013, 12:46 PM
I'm thrilled with the win, but not happy with the way the Blackhawks played last night. Far too sloppy and gave up way too many scoring chances, that is not Blackhawks defense. Crawford was insane last night. Maybe it is time that people, me included, start giving Crawford more credit. Rask faced more shots, but Crawford outplayed him last night. Boston had more quality scoring chances.

Blackhawks need to regroup and play better than they did last night in game 2. I'm a little pissed that there is a 2 day layoff. I want short turnarounds for the Blackhawks to exploit our superior depth.

Crawford was out of his mind after the first period. I think most Chicago fans have been coming around on Crawford, but after last night there shouldn't be a Hawk fan that isn't a HUGE Crawford fan. It has been really weird to listen to the national media coverage regarding this series so far. The so-called pundits have all talked about the Bruins depth to 4 lines (Boston does have good depth) but for the most part have missed mentioning the depth of Chicago. As time went on, Chicago was the fresher team.

Chara 45 minutes
Boychuck 41 minutes
Ference 45 minutes
Seidenberg 48 minutes

Duncan Keith was the only Chicago defensemen over 40 minutes of ice time at 48. That is what you call superior depth at the blue line.

GarthUte
06-13-2013, 03:15 PM
I didn't start watching the game until there was about 5 minutes in the 3rd period. What I saw was a lot of fun. That's pretty much the extent of my ability to intelligently discuss the game.

I need to sit down and watch a game with someone who can teach me how to watch hockey properly, so that I can understand what's going on. I understand that there is more to the sport than pass the puck, shoot the puck and slamming the opponent into the boards behind the net. Maybe I'll invite myself over to mp's place for the next game.

mpfunk
06-13-2013, 06:36 PM
I didn't start watching the game until there was about 5 minutes in the 3rd period. What I saw was a lot of fun. That's pretty much the extent of my ability to intelligently discuss the game.

I need to sit down and watch a game with someone who can teach me how to watch hockey properly, so that I can understand what's going on. I understand that there is more to the sport than pass the puck, shoot the puck and slamming the opponent into the boards behind the net. Maybe I'll invite myself over to mp's place for the next game.

I'm out of town for game 2, but I would take you up on an invite for another game.

Devildog
06-13-2013, 10:41 PM
You two Chicago fans... are pissing me off.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww10/TheRza80/BruinsONFIRE.gif (http://media.photobucket.com/user/TheRza80/media/BruinsONFIRE.gif.html)

Devildog
06-16-2013, 12:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zRFUKm42_g

mpfunk
06-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Its time for Kaner and Toews to step up. Neither has really been producing like they should throughout most of the playoffs. There have been moments of brilliance, but never consistent production. That needs to stop right now.

I'm having a hard time talking about Game 3. Losing Hossa in the skate-around was killer. You lose one of your top forwards before the game even starts with no time to prepare.

Blackhawks need to play with reckless abandon tonight. The defenseman need to get involved in the offensive zone. Yes, we will give up some chances, but we have to put pressure on the Bruins defensively. Bruins have forced their style in this series and that is why they are winning. Blackhawks need to force and up and down the ice style tonight.

I've said it before, anything less than a Stanley Cup and this season was a miserable failure. Time to take the first step towards making this not a failure. However, if it doesn't work out for the Blackhawks at least this year they lost to a team that I can respect. It was much harder losing to Phoenix last year and the Canucks the year before as neither team deserves any respect.

Flystripper
06-19-2013, 06:13 PM
I can agree with that. Pardon my language but I am in a Chicago bar right now nervous as fuck. At least I am among like minded people though.

Flystripper
06-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Where has this team been for 5 periods?

GarthUte
06-19-2013, 09:03 PM
For someone with no emotional investment in this game, it's been very entertaining. But it's made me realize how very little I understand about the sport of hockey. I'm going to have to learn more in order to recognize all that I'm sure I'm missing.

mpfunk
06-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Where has this team been for 5 periods?

I'm so fucking pissed at Crawford right now. We lose and this series is over.

Flystripper
06-19-2013, 09:15 PM
Yeah he has been off his game on 2 of the five goals. No excuse if there is no traffic from the point. Killing us right now time for him to go crazy like in game one.

GarthUte
06-19-2013, 09:21 PM
mp - I've decided that I'm going to invite myself over to your place to watch game 5. Are you and the Mrs. okay with that?

Flystripper
06-19-2013, 09:38 PM
The guys covered for Crawford like he covered for them in game 1.n I love this team. Bub city going crazy!! This country bar is nuts. Time for the live music!

Flystripper
06-19-2013, 09:43 PM
mp - I've decided that I'm going to invite myself over to your place to watch game 5. Are you and the Mrs. okay with that?

You realize you go to the funks and you leave a hawks fan!! Welcome to the fold!!!

Devildog
06-19-2013, 09:51 PM
DAMN!

Boston had their opportunities at the end of regulation and in OT, but couldn't get it done. Chicago needed this one and it showed.

GarthUte
06-19-2013, 09:51 PM
You realize you go to the funks and you leave a hawks fan!! Welcome to the fold!!!

As long as I don't leave a Bulls fan, I'll be okay. And thanks for the welcome before the assimilation even happens, I guess.

mpfunk
06-19-2013, 10:29 PM
The sound of success. I'm expecting to hear this a lot on Saturday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUoJts-mjGA

FN Phat
06-20-2013, 04:47 AM
meh. I can't wait for the finals game tonight. Basketball is a far superior sport.

mpfunk
06-20-2013, 08:46 AM
meh. I can't wait for the finals game tonight. Basketball is a far superior sport.

I could certainly return the favor from the NBA thread with an insult, but instead I just have pity for anyone that can't see the superior of hockey to such a mediocre pro sport like the NBA. I hope that someday you will experience the joy and happiness of a conversion to hockey. Until that day, I will pray for you.

mpfunk
06-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Last night was an example of why the Blackhawks need to play our game and force our game on the Boston Bruins. Blackhawks finally used their speed and open style to their advantage. The Blackhawks need to keep up that style of play. Stallberg should not be scratched again in this series.

If Crawford doesn't have his worst game of the playoffs, the Blackhawks likely get that as a 2 goal win. Sure they still give up 3 goals, because of the extra scoring chances as a result of this style.

I would rather see the Blackhawks go down playing our style than to lose trying to force this team to match the other team. I really think we can get this series in 7 games. Saturday is going to be huge. Crawford needs to improve his positioning for the next game and stop giving up soft glove side goals.

Jarid in Cedar
06-20-2013, 08:56 AM

I could certainly return the favor from the NBA thread with an insult, but instead I just have pity for anyone that can't see the superior of hockey to such a mediocre pro sport like the NBA. I hope that someday you will experience the joy and happiness of a conversion to hockey. Until that day, I will pray for you.

WTF are you two smoking? League championship series and World Series are far better.

mpfunk
06-20-2013, 09:03 AM
WTF are you two smoking? League championship series and World Series are far better.

MLB is the best professional sport. The 162 game series is a thing of beauty in determining what teams are best. The World Series though is a disappointment in comparison to the regular season. The poorly constructed nature of it is far too luck driven. If they went back to a 4 team playoff with 2 7-game series it would become the best playoffs.

While MLB is a better pro sport, hockey has the better playoffs.

Ranking the pro leagues:

MLB
NHL
NFL
NBA

Ranking the playoffs

NHL
MLB
NFL
NBA