PDA

View Full Version : The Basketball Recruiting Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

UtahsMrSports
03-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Thought it would be fun to post updates here.

Now, obviously, dont rip stuff off of UZ or somewhere else, but if you hear anything interesting, pass it along!

UtahsMrSports
03-18-2013, 04:07 PM
A couple updates to pass along on this front..........

1. Larry mentioned some international targets this morning in his press conference. Obviously, he is not allowed to name names, so we are kind of on our own.

2. I saw @RunninU tweet this out, and then Bill Riley did as well. Apparently this kid is planning to take a visit here, though the date is still to be determined.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Leroy-Fludd-120401 (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Leroy-Fludd-120401)

SeattleUte
03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
thx good work.

SoCalPat
03-19-2013, 07:06 PM
A couple updates to pass along on this front..........

1. Larry mentioned some international targets this morning in his press conference. Obviously, he is not allowed to name names, so we are kind of on our own.

2. I saw @RunninU tweet this out, and then Bill Riley did as well. Apparently this kid is planning to take a visit here, though the date is still to be determined.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Leroy-Fludd-120401 (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Leroy-Fludd-120401)

Sweet Holy Moses, we don't need another wing-type player. We need size badly. Unless this kid shoots 40 percent-plus from 3 ... or we're losing multiple players to transfers, why are we bothering?

UtahsMrSports
03-20-2013, 08:31 AM
Sweet Holy Moses, we don't need another wing-type player. We need size badly. Unless this kid shoots 40 percent-plus from 3 ... or we're losing multiple players to transfers, why are we bothering?

That was my thought as well. And from what @ColoUte told me on twitter, he is EXTREMELY streaky shooting; more of a slasher. If we are going for another wing; can we at least get someone who is 6'7 or 6'8? Too much to ask?

SoCalPat
03-20-2013, 09:12 AM
At this point, isn't it a "beggar's can't be choosers" thing? Besides, he's got a great name. Maybe he can be the rebounder we've been looking for.

Swapping a kid like Seymour for Fludd, for example's sake, is akin to readjusting deck chairs on the Titanic. It's not making us any better.

Scratch
03-20-2013, 09:57 AM
You are right, but we do have to have 12. If someone leaves now, we just fill in with the best player available. If there's a great rebounding power forward who wants to come here, yes, we obviously take him. If not, might as well get another decent body to have a full scrimmage.

Not entirely; you don't want to tie up a scholarship for 4 years if the player doesn't have a good chance of being a decent contributor, and you also don't want to get into a situation where you are showing a lot of players the door every year, especially if they are good citizens. I'm OK with cutting some guys, but it's not good for the program to get a reputation for cutting too many guys loose.

SeattleUte
03-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Swapping a kid like Seymour for Fludd, for example's sake, is akin to readjusting deck chairs on the Titanic. It's not making us any better.

We are not yet beyond having to take the best players we can get at whatever position. This really would be something we need to defer to the coaches about. They lived with these players all year. Seymour didn't hardly even get in the game if he did at all during the last five games. Seymour may have no intention of returning.

SavaUte
03-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Obviously size is important, but really, enough already. So what if Utah's guards are small? I guess none of you have spent a night in bed with a mosquito.

Utah's small guards proved themselves by the end of the year. I think Washburn is only 6'10" and skinny - definitely not idea size for a 5, but he managed to hold his own.

Size is important, but not the only determining factor. I'm 6'4" 210 but I'm sure there are people here that are smaller that could beat me in physical contests where size is an advantage

UtahsMrSports
03-20-2013, 10:56 AM
Obviously size is important, but really, enough already. So what if Utah's guards are small? I guess none of you have spent a night in bed with a mosquito.

Utah's small guards proved themselves by the end of the year. I think Washburn is only 6'10" and skinny - definitely not idea size for a 5, but he managed to hold his own.

Size is important, but not the only determining factor. I'm 6'4" 210 but I'm sure there are people here that are smaller that could beat me in physical contests where size is an advantage

Heres my only issue with this: How many times this year did teams just shoot right over the top of our wing guys? That is why we need more length. I'm 6'6 and when I was in better shape and played; I LOVED playing against someone who was 6'4" or shorter. I could take them to the post and drop jump hooks on them all game, or I could go outside and just shoot over the top. Cant bother a shot much if you cant reach to contest.

SavaUte
03-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Heres my only issue with this: How many times this year did teams just shoot right over the top of our wing guys? That is why we need more length. I'm 6'6 and when I was in better shape and played; I LOVED playing against someone who was 6'4" or shorter. I could take them to the post and drop jump hooks on them all game, or I could go outside and just shoot over the top. Cant bother a shot much if you cant reach to contest.

I guess difference of opinion. I've had my shot blocked by shorter guys and I've blocked shots of taller guys. I don't really see it as a big deal until it becomes a big disparity - 6+ inches, and really, for a guard, I still don't see that as that big of a deal. Sure it is important for court vision and getting out of a trap, but I don't think it is the make or break that everyone here is making it out to be. Get the best players and get them on the floor

SoCalPat
03-20-2013, 03:52 PM

We're not talking about guards. We're talking about legit frontline players. We've got four guys 6-9 or taller on the roster next year. None of them have proven themselves as established Pac-12 players. Oregon had five -- three of them were freshmen -- and a sixth at 6-7 in Kazemi who was a legitimate 4.

SavaUte
03-20-2013, 04:04 PM
We're not talking about guards. We're talking about legit frontline players. We've got four guys 6-9 or taller on the roster next year. None of them have proven themselves as established Pac-12 players. Oregon had five -- three of them were freshmen -- and a sixth at 6-7 in Kazemi who was a legitimate 4.

So why is everyone so concerned about size? Sounds like Utah has size, just not proven players with size

Off topic, I visited your city of twin falls last month - nice place

SoCalPat
03-20-2013, 04:41 PM
So why is everyone so concerned about size? Sounds like Utah has size, just not proven players with size

Off topic, I visited your city of twin falls last month - nice place

Number of players 6-8 or taller on Pac-12 teams:

Seven: Stanford, Cal

Six: UCLA, Arizona (doesn't include 6-7 Solomon Hill), USC (three 7-0 or taller), Oregon State (doesn't include 6-7 Joe Burton), Washington, Utah

Five: Oregon (doesn't include 6-7 Arsalan Kamezi),

Four: Arizona State (two 7-0 or taller), Colorado (doesn't include 6-7 Andre Roberson), Washington State.

On paper, Utah looks average. But I know Utah's roster better than I do any other team's, and that six includes David Foster, who didn't play a minute for us, and a walk-on who will likely never be on scholarship in Harry Whitt. With that in mind, now Utah is near/at the bottom of the league in terms of pure height -- talented or not.

I love living in Twin. Only thing missing that I truly crave is a good BBQ joint.

UBlender
03-20-2013, 05:15 PM
My personal opinion is that Utah is fine as far as height at center goes. We'll run out some combination of Olsen, Bachynski and Kovacevic next year and those guys all seem either average or above average in terms of height for a college center. Kovacevic appears to be skinny, so we'll see if that hurts him. The other two appear to have adequate width to hold their own against most college centers.

Where Utah's lack of size hurts is at forward and this is where Lenz's failure to make an impact really killed us. Loveridge is undersized at 4 and then he was basically playing with a third guard at the 3 in Martin/Tucker or sometimes Dubois/Seymour.

I think what Utah needs in the worst way is a 6'8" forward (an instant impact guy, perhaps from a JC or a senior transfer in the mold of Dubois) who can play big minutes alongside Loveridge. Even if said forward is skinny and more of a 3 than a bruising 4 it would still help a great deal to be bigger at the other forward spot. This would also help Utah to have good size at the 2 as another good forward would free up Wright/Tucker/Fields to play more at the 2 instead of the 3 full-time.

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Tony Jones just tweeted out that 6'6 small forward (JUCO) Princeton Onwas will be in town for a visit this weekend and if all goes well, he will receive an offer. Currently has offers from TCU and Texas Tech.

Scratch
03-26-2013, 11:44 AM
Tony Jones just tweeted out that 6'6 small forward (JUCO) Princeton Onwas will be in town for a visit this weekend and if all goes well, he will receive an offer. Currently has offers from TCU and Texas Tech.

Interesting that he has some decent offers, because his JuCo stats are incredibly underwhelming. Although I do like the idea of a big PG.

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2013, 11:48 AM
We are killing recruiting in the names department - Leroy Fludd, Princeton Onwas.

LOL! indeed!

Scratch
03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Jones is saying he's definitely a 3, not a PG. That he's very athletic.

I hope he can defend like a madman, because his offensive JuCo stats are not pretty.

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Another thing to note, though his stats may not be impressive, he was named to the All-Juco tournament first-team.

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Does this confirm that someone is transferring?

I have to think so. With how public the staff has been with these last two visits......I think at least one person will be gone.

Our good pal HoyosRevenge claims to have inside sources saying that Seymour, Dean, and Dotson are gone for sure. But this was from HoyosRevenge, so take it for what its worth.

LA Ute
03-26-2013, 12:01 PM

Not to be a nit-picker, but I wish we could get an athletic player taller than 6'6".

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Not to be a nit-picker, but I wish we could get an athletic player taller than 6'6".

Im with you here.........its one of the few things I liked about Boylen's non-sensical roster in his final year; we had a lot of perimeter length and athleticism.

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Tony just tweeted out that the Utes are NOT recruiting LeRoy Fludd at this time.

concerned
03-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Tony just tweeted out that the Utes are NOT recruiting LeRoy Fludd at this time.

But they are recruiting Elmer Fudd.

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Not Lenz? It would be a shame to lose Seymour, but Dean and Dotson weren't headed for playing time in their senior year. The important part here is that Bachynski is not on the list.

Agreed! I think Bach has a lot of potential.

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
But they are recruiting Elmer Fudd.

They will only sign Elmer Fudd if Yosemite Sam and Porky Pig (both juniors) commit as well.

Scratch
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
It seems like that's what you get when you have to dip into the JUCO ranks in April. Athleticism without size or skill.

So why bother? I don't see anything in his profile that would lead me to believe that he's an upgrade over any of the rumored departures.

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Yes, but more importantly, he has size. We can swap out Dotsons and Deans for Onwas and Fludds anytime. But it's hard to find size.

I agree with this. Especially when its not just deadweight either. Dallin showed an ability to be a force on both ends. Hoping he gets the chance to realize that potential here at Utah.

SoCalPat
03-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Another thing to note, though his stats may not be impressive, he was named to the All-Juco tournament first-team.

Quite a feat, given Navarro didn't even qualify for Hutch. (EDIT: Unless he did it as a frosh, and I can't find last year's all-tournament team)

UtahsMrSports
03-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Quite a feat, given Navarro didn't even qualify for Hutch. (EDIT: Unless he did it as a frosh, and I can't find last year's all-tournament team)

Just repeating what Tony Jones tweeted out. Didnt see much reason to verify something tony said.........

SoCalPat
03-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Based on some second-hand info, reasonable deduction and internet sleuthing, we could be getting some of that size we badly need. I emphasize the word "could" as nothing is close to being definitive.

SeattleUte
03-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Based on some second-hand info, reasonable deduction and internet sleuthing, we could be getting some of that size we badly need. I emphasize the word "could" as nothing is close to being definitive.

Size or length? I prefer length.

UtahsMrSports
03-27-2013, 01:21 PM

name?

SoCalPat
03-27-2013, 01:24 PM
name?

Nice try. I will say he's a multi-year transfer with a good body and West Coast ties. But he's a reclamation project in other areas. That's all I'm gonna say for now.

SeattleUte
03-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Nice try. I will say he's a multi-year transfer with a good body and West Coast ties. But he's a reclamation project in other areas. That's all I'm gonna say for now.

I think Josh Smith has already inked with Georgetown.

UtahsMrSports
03-27-2013, 01:39 PM

darn! thought id try. :)

Throw me a bone though pat, are we talking perimeter or post guy?

U-Ute
03-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Size or length? I prefer length.

This should be your new signature.

crazyute
03-27-2013, 08:53 PM

ahhh time for the childish games. I know something that you don't...hahaha....neener...neener...!! And I"m not telling you!

BUT LOOK AT ME!!

LA Ute
03-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Kenneth Ogbe also coming this weekend, according to Tony Jones. Jones describes him as a 6'5" German sharpshooter.

Here is the young man:

It says here he is 6'6". (http://basketball.eurobasket.com/player/Kenneth_Ogbe/Erdgas_Ehingen/Urspringschule/206967)

UtahsMrSports
03-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Kenneth Ogbe also coming this weekend, according to Tony Jones. Jones describes him as a 6'5" German sharpshooter.

It will be verrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy interesting to see what we decide to do..........

SoCalPat
03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
ahhh time for the childish games. I know something that you don't...hahaha....neener...neener...!! And I"m not telling you!

BUT LOOK AT ME!!

Childish was assuming people like yourself could take a little information without getting butt hurt over not getting the entire story, not realizing i dont want to blow the cover of others.

If it makes you feel better, there's a ton of stuff I've been given throughout the years that I never shared with anyone.

LA Ute
03-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Childish was assuming people like yourself could take a little information without getting butt hurt over not getting the entire story, not realizing i dont want to blow the cover of others.

If it makes you feel better, there's a ton of stuff I've been given throughout the years that I never shared with anyone.

It's OK, SCP. We can wait, and look forward to/hope for good news.

Ute Dawg
03-28-2013, 08:26 AM
I don't mind someone with inside information not sharing. That is a good way to find yourself on the outside. So I don't blame SoCal for not disclosing when nothing else is out there.

UBlender
03-28-2013, 09:02 AM

Bear in mind you're talking to the same guy that throws a hissy fit every now and then that utezone wants people to actually pay for their service and is mad that everything is just shared for free.

Some of us appreciate little nuggets wherever they pop up and respect the fact that you can't always share everything all at once for a variety of reasons. Of course, if there are any more hints you want to drop about the big guy I will keep it a secret as soon as I figure it out. :highfive:

Jarid in Cedar
03-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Bear in mind you're talking to the same guy that throws a hissy fit every now and then that utezone wants people to actually pay for their service and is mad that everything is just shared for free.

Some of us appreciate little nuggets wherever they pop up and respect the fact that you can't always share everything all at once for a variety of reasons. Of course, if there are any more hints you want to drop about the big guy I will keep it a secret as soon as I figure it out. :highfive:

Bingo. I am content just knowing that we are working a big man. The name will eventually surface.

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2013, 11:37 AM
and another offer............this time its to Darryl Reynolds from Pennsylvania. He was also offered by Villanova.

This was reported by @Coast2CoastHoop and retweeted by @RunninU.

Here is the link to his rivals page.......... http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Darryl-Reynolds-148728

He notes that South Carolina is the leader after his official visit there.

As a side note, for the most up to date news on Ute recruiting, you need to follow @RunninU. Im not sure if he posts here or not, but he keeps a pretty good site with recruiting info and other stuff.

Two Utes
03-28-2013, 11:48 AM
and another offer............this time its to Darryl Reynolds from Pennsylvania. He was also offered by Villanova.

This was reported by @Coast2CoastHoop and retweeted by @RunninU.

Here is the link to his rivals page.......... http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Darryl-Reynolds-14 (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Darryl-Reynolds-148728)

He notes that South Carolina is the leader after his official visit there.

As a side note, for the most up to date news on Ute recruiting, you need to follow @RunninU. Im not sure if he posts here or not, but he keeps a pretty good site with recruiting info and other stuff.

I am familiar with the prep league he played in this year and the quality of play is unreal. Consider me a convert to the Northeast basketball is the best thinkers.

Wondering how we get him away from schools a lot closer to home. Guess is this is a Demario recruit. This would be a great get, but not counting on it.

UBlender
03-28-2013, 12:00 PM
So here's who I have heard Utah is recruiting right now:

-Onwas - JC wing
-Ogbe - German shooting guard
-Reynolds - prep school power forward from Mass
-I've been told there's another combo guard type out there, but have no other information
-In at least one of his postseason interviews Larry made mention of being after multiple international players, so I assume there's at least one more we're recruiting
-SoCalPat's mystery big guy (transfer of some sort?)
-Any others I am missing?

I am sure there will be others to emerge, it will be interesting to see who Utah ends up with.

My guess is transfers will require/allow Utah to bring in one more guard, wing and big man (probably power forward) in addition to those who signed in the fall and Ahmad Fields who has been committed for several months.

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2013, 12:08 PM
So here's who I have heard Utah is recruiting right now:

-Onwas - JC wing
-Ogbe - German shooting guard
-Reynolds - prep school power forward from Mass
-I've been told there's another combo guard type out there, but have no other information
-In at least one of his postseason interviews Larry made mention of being after multiple international players, so I assume there's at least one more we're recruiting
-SoCalPat's mystery big guy (transfer of some sort?)
-Any others I am missing?

I am sure there will be others to emerge, it will be interesting to see who Utah ends up with.

My guess is transfers will require/allow Utah to bring in one more guard, wing and big man (probably power forward) in addition to those who signed in the fall and Ahmad Fields who has been committed for several months.

I think you pretty much have it here. Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens. Im betting one of the two who visits this weekend commits. I am not going to get my hopes up for this reynolds kid, but you never know.

I love this time of year!

LA Ute
03-28-2013, 12:12 PM
I've missed out on Ahmad Fields. What are the basics on him?

UtahsMrSports
03-28-2013, 12:26 PM
I've missed out on Ahmad Fields. What are the basics on him?

6'5, 6'6, athletic wing player. Fearless when taking it to the basket. If you mention his name on twitter, he is almost guaranteed to retweet you.

SoCalPat
03-28-2013, 12:35 PM

He's not as big as originally suspected. How's that?

crazyute
03-28-2013, 03:57 PM

sorry that came off much more dickish than i wanted. i was really just trying to give you crap. sorry for the dickish approach. my bad.

SoCalPat
03-28-2013, 05:22 PM
sorry that came off much more dickish than i wanted. i was really just trying to give you crap. sorry for the dickish approach. my bad.

Apology accepted. I understood your sentiments, but I was the wrong target. There are other Ute fans who play that game way too frequently, or at least much more frequently than I do. Especially with football recruiting, which I don't follow anywhere as intently as I used to, much to the relief of my psyche.

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 09:02 AM
My only new update for now is that Darryl Reynolds will choose on Apr 24, and we are in his top 5. I find it a bit odd that we have not heard more news on the transferring front. Hoping that no news is good news. But it certainly appears that the annual mass exodus will be easier on us this year.

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 09:40 AM
It's not just the number of transfers, but who is transferring. As long as we keep our core, we could lose 2-3 more without it being a big deal. In recent years, we were losing key players. This year, the only rumored transfer who got any playing time at all is Dean.

I agree. But I really like all of the role players from this year. I hope they all stay.

UBlender
04-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Okay Pat, is it Amir Garrett that you were referring to? Hoyo said Ute fans should keep an eye on him. He's a 6-6 G/F transfer from St Johns, would have two more years of eligibility, looks like he's originally from LA (west coast ties). He seems to meet all the criteria in the quoted post, but in another you referred to adding size. I had assumed you meant a PF or C but maybe you just meant adding size to the backcourt.

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Okay Pat, is it Amir Garrett that you were referring to? Hoyo said Ute fans should keep an eye on him. He's a 6-6 G/F transfer from St Johns, would have two more years of eligibility, looks like he's originally from LA (west coast ties). He seems to meet all the criteria in the quoted post, but in another you referred to adding size. I had assumed you meant a PF or C but maybe you just meant adding size to the backcourt.

If this is the case, ill be a bit disappointed. We seem to just be stockpiling the same players. Guess we will see.

Also, forgive me if I am skeptical of anything said by HoyosRevenge.............

UBlender
04-03-2013, 12:59 PM
If this is the case, ill be a bit disappointed. We seem to just be stockpiling the same players. Guess we will see.

Also, forgive me if I am skeptical of anything said by HoyosRevenge.............

I am fairly certain Utah isn't taking Onwas, Ogbe and Garrett. My guess is only one of the three.

I don't agree with Hoyo's general outlook of Larry and the direction of the program but it doesn't mean he's wrong on everything. In fact he's posted some intel lately that has been exactly what I have heard from another trusted source, so he appears to have at least some good info.

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 01:17 PM
I am fairly certain Utah isn't taking Onwas, Ogbe and Garrett. My guess is only one of the three.

I don't agree with Hoyo's general outlook of Larry and the direction of the program but it doesn't mean he's wrong on everything. In fact he's posted some intel lately that has been exactly what I have heard from another trusted source, so he appears to have at least some good info.

I agree. And we have no legitimate data on where Garrett is looking. To me, I want the German kid more than anything.

As far as Hoyos credibility goes, I dont follow him, I dont read him, so I dont know what his info is. I am skeptical because of his less than stellar track record.

SoCalPat
04-03-2013, 01:39 PM

When the dust has settled, I'll go into more detail.

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 04:35 PM
According to Larry on his ESPN 700 segment, the staff is looking to fill two spots for next season. So, it sounds like they plan on one more transfer (which I have to think is dotson) and anything beyond will most likely be unexpected.

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 04:38 PM
and............we got a verbal from juco wing Princeton Onwas!

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Interesting to me..........Bill and Hans are referring to Princeton as a "point guard" I don't know about that, but it does seem that the staff is trying to bring in players that are 1) long 2) athletic 3) can handle the ball.

I am crossing my fingers that we get a commit from this German kid.

UBlender
04-03-2013, 04:57 PM
I don't get it. Onwas can't shoot. This team was very good defensively but lost games because we couldn't score and often couldn't board. I don't think Onwas helps in either area. I assumed it was an either/or think between him and the German kid. I would have much preferred the German.

Two Utes
04-03-2013, 05:07 PM
I don't get it. Onwas can't shoot. This team was very good defensively but lost games because we couldn't score and often couldn't board. I don't think Onwas helps in either area. I assumed it was an either/or think between him and the German kid. I would have much preferred the German.

Just because the German kid can shoot in Germany doesn't mean he can shoot here (and I'm not sure you can even rely on the reported statistics). The quality of any amateur league he played in over there is horrible. Or am I way off base? Did he play here in the states?

Two Utes
04-03-2013, 05:08 PM
Just because the German kid can shoot in Germany doesn't mean he can shoot here (and I'm not sure you can even rely on the reported statistics). The quality of any amateur league he played in over there is horrible. Or am I way off base? Did he play here in the states?

Where can I find Onwas' statistics?

Two Utes
04-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Where can I find Onwas' statistics?

Found them. 60% free throw shooter. Yikes.

Of course, Dubois' percentages weren't that great coming in and he was terrific for us.

SeattleUte
04-03-2013, 05:37 PM

If Kansas State wanted him he's not chopped liver. That K-State coach can recruit like crazy. K-State was upset in the NCAA first round this year, but tied Kansas for the Big 12 title.

SoCalPat
04-03-2013, 05:39 PM
Found them. 60% free throw shooter. Yikes.

Of course, Dubois' percentages weren't that great coming in and he was terrific for us.

I don't see a thing about this kid statistically that makes me believe he can cut it in the Pac-12, so I've got to rely on something besides stats to make me believe this kid is a good pickup, namely that he did play on an above-average team with presumably other D-1 prospects as well. Also, JUCO ball can be a little scattershot when it comes to schemes, which would lead to lower percentages. That said, the Texas JUCOs I have seen up close that were on par or better than Navarro produced kids that were statistically superior to Onwas.

Also, don't take Onwas' point-guard position seriously. Navarro has eight PGs listed on this roster:

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012-13/div1/teams/navarrocollege?view=lineup

SeattleUte
04-03-2013, 05:42 PM
I don't see a thing about this kid statistically that makes me believe he can cut it in the Pac-12, so I've got to rely on something besides stats to make me believe this kid is a good pickup, namely that he did play on an above-average team with presumably other D-1 prospects as well. Also, JUCO ball can be a little scattershot when it comes to schemes, which would lead to lower percentages. That said, the Texas JUCOs I have seen up close that were on par or better than Navarro produced kids that were statistically superior to Onwas.

Also, don't take Onwas' point-guard position seriously. Navarro has eight PGs listed on this roster:

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012-13/div1/teams/navarrocollege?view=lineup

Did he actually take a trip to K-State? I think it matters who else wanted him.

SoCalPat
04-03-2013, 05:43 PM
If Kansas State wanted him he's not chopped liver. That K-State coach can recruit like crazy. K-State was upset in the NCAA first round this year, but tied Kansas for the Big 12 title.

K-State is recruiting for depth, perhaps as a fallback option to non-qualifiers and transfers. We're recruiting for immediate impact. There is a massive difference. K-State is not bringing him in to start, since it has Angel Rodriguez for two more years.

SoCalPat
04-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Did he actually take a trip to K-State? I think it matters who else wanted him.

No offer, no visit according to Rivals. Offered by TCU and Houston, tripped to TCU.

SeattleUte
04-03-2013, 06:04 PM
No offer, no visit according to Rivals. Offered by TCU and Houston, tripped to TCU.

He was scheduled to visit K-State. Also, the TCU offer is a good sign. Trent Johnson can recruit like a mother. Look at his 2013 class. I'd trade ours for his.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school?id=2628&_slug_=tcu-horned-frogs

Diehard Ute
04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Dan Sorensen tweeted he believes Onwas will take in Cedric Martin's role, although Onwas is more athletic and explosive.

LA Ute
04-03-2013, 06:18 PM
Dan Sorensen tweeted he believes Onwas will take in Cedric Martin's role, although Onwas is more athletic and explosive.

I talked to someone in the vicinity of the program, but not necessarily inside the program. ;)

The coaches see Onwas as a wing man who can play the 1 and 2. It's hoped he'll be a Cedric Martin who's more athletic and can get to the hoop. The thinking: The current Utah guard line is just too small for the PAC-12, and Onwas is 6'6".

#1 Utefan
04-03-2013, 07:16 PM
I have to think so. With how public the staff has been with these last two visits......I think at least one person will be gone.

Our good pal HoyosRevenge claims to have inside sources saying that Seymour, Dean, and Dotson are gone for sure. But this was from HoyosRevenge, so take it for what its worth.

If HoyosRevenge is the poster formerly known as Mr. Crimson, I would say the chances he has any credible sources or inside information are pretty slim. One more player may be transerring but both?

#1 Utefan
04-03-2013, 07:18 PM
I talked to someone in the vicinity of the program, but not necessarily inside the program. ;)

The coaches see Onwas as a wing man who can play the 1 and 2. It's hoped he'll be a Cedric Martin who's more athletic and can get to the hoop.The thinking: The current Utah guard line is just too small for the PAC-12, and Onwas is 6'6".

I thought Delon Wright was going to swing between SG & PG. He is 6'5'' so in my mind, a lot of the problems with Utah's tiny backcourt last year were already solved. I guess I would expect a JC guy that is going to play either guard spot or even SF to be able to shoot better than 33% from the field & 60% from the foul line.

LA Ute
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I thought Delon Wright was going to swing between SG & PG. He is 6'5'' so in my mind, a lot of the problems with Utah's tiny backcourt last year were already solved. I guess I would expect a JC guy that is going to play either guard spot or even SF to be able to shoot better than 33% from the field & 60% from the foul line.

I am as puzzled as anyone about this commit.

#1 Utefan
04-03-2013, 07:36 PM
He was scheduled to visit K-State. Also, the TCU offer is a good sign. Trent Johnson can recruit like a mother. Look at his 2013 class. I'd trade ours for his.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/school?id=2628&_slug_=tcu-horned-frogs

He can recruit but can't coach a lick. That said, the program would be in better shape today if we could have gotten him after Majerus instead of Giac.

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 08:39 PM
K-State is recruiting for depth, perhaps as a fallback option to non-qualifiers and transfers. We're recruiting for immediate impact. There is a massive difference. K-State is not bringing him in to start, since it has Angel Rodriguez for two more years.

I disagree with this. With Wright, Van Dyke, and Fields coming in and Tucker and Taylor already in the fold, there aren't really minutes for someone to make an immediate impact. I think we are recruiting for depth, at least with this signing. Now, I think the German kid has the potential to come in and be an immediate impact guy.

#1 Utefan
04-03-2013, 08:44 PM
I disagree with this. With Wright, Van Dyke, and Fields coming in and Tucker and Taylor already in the fold, there aren't really minutes for someone to make an immediate impact. I think we are recruiting for depth, at least with this signing. Now, I think the German kid has the potential to come in and be an immediate impact guy.

What do we know about the German kid? Has he been playing basketball here in the states? What are his ppg and shooting %'s? If Utah is planning on bringing in this kid (who appears to be about the same size as over half the roster now), why bring in Onwas as well?

#1 Utefan
04-03-2013, 08:53 PM

One of the few blurbs I could find on Ogbe (a season preview from 2012) said he isn't much of a scorer, averaging only 7.1 ppg. Is there something else out there to indicate he blew up in 2012-13? I'm really having a difficult time trying to figure out what value there is in bringing in yet another wing player unless they have very good offensive skills.

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 09:17 PM
One of the few blurbs I could find on Ogbe (a season preview from 2012) said he isn't much of a scorer, averaging only 7.1 ppg. Is there something else out there to indicate he blew up in 2012-13? I'm really having a difficult time trying to figure out what value there is in bringing in yet another wing player unless they have very good offensive skills.

When you have 13 scholarships, youll have redundancy somewhere. I dont know what his stats are or anything. All I have is the words from people that I trust. Tony Jones tweeted out that he has sources saying that when this Ogbe kid practiced against the utes on saturday, he was hands down the best player.

I agree though, that a front court player would be good, but right now, ill just take all the talent we can get.

#1 Utefan
04-03-2013, 09:32 PM
When you have 13 scholarships, youll have redundancy somewhere. I dont know what his stats are or anything. All I have is the words from people that I trust. Tony Jones tweeted out that he has sources saying that when this Ogbe kid practiced against the utes on saturday, he was hands down the best player.

I agree though, that a front court player would be good, but right now, ill just take all the talent we can get.

I agree but am wondering where the information is on Ogbe and what reason we have to believe that he would even be an upgrade offensively on Dotson, Dean, or anyone else on the current roster for that matter. I get bringing in guys with a lot of talent and upside. I'm just not yet convinced that Onwas on Ogbe fit that bill.

UtahsMrSports
04-03-2013, 09:38 PM
I agree but am wondering where the information is on Ogbe and what reason we have to believe that he would even be an upgrade offensively on Dotson, Dean, or anyone else on the current roster for that matter. I get bringing in guys with a lot of talent and upside. I'm just not yet convinced that Onwas on Ogbe fit that bill.

Heres where I have to give the coaches my trust. Last year, Dakari Tucker and Brandon Taylor were brought in april/may. Larry was barbecued by the usual cast of characters for bringing in these schmucks who had no real offers. Well, Id say that the staff got both right. Are they all-league? no, but they are a LOT better than any the most optimistic of fans predicted.

#1 Utefan
04-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Heres where I have to give the coaches my trust. Last year, Dakari Tucker and Brandon Taylor were brought in april/may. Larry was barbecued by the usual cast of characters for bringing in these schmucks who had no real offers. Well, Id say that the staff got both right. Are they all-league? no, but they are a LOT better than any the most optimistic of fans predicted.

I get your point. Taylor was definitely a diamond in the rough find and Tucker hopefully will continue to blossom and become a decent role player (he made a lot of strides toward the end of the year). The thing I'm struggling with is the duplication of guys that are seemingly about the same size, play the same positions, and seemingly have limited offensive games. I'll trust you that the coaches know what they are doing and that Ogbe has the upside you reference but I guess I was underwhelmed with what limited info I was able to find about him online. Hopefully, he is a late bloomer.

I get bringing in one more wing but when you already have Tucker, Wright, Van Dyke, Dotson (maybe), Loveridge and now Onwas all in that 6'3'' - 6'6'' range, it seems to me the program would be better served looking for players now in the 6'7'' -6'10'' range that can bang, rebound, and play down low. I'm assuming they are looking for these players right now. I'm just hoping there are schollies left if they can find one.

SoCalPat
04-03-2013, 09:56 PM

We went 15-17 last year and finished 10th in the league. We do not have the luxury of recruiting for depth by signing a player who might not break into our top 8 in minutes played. Losing teams recruit JuCOs for immediate impact. Winning teams do it for depth. We've got it backwards with this signing.

UtahsMrSports
04-04-2013, 08:20 AM
We went 15-17 last year and finished 10th in the league. We do not have the luxury of recruiting for depth by signing a player who might not break into our top 8 in minutes played. Losing teams recruit JuCOs for immediate impact. Winning teams do it for depth. We've got it backwards with this signing.

Again, I think its fair to say that the staff has earned at least a "wait and see" on this kid. Terrible shooting percentages, but ill withhold judgement one way or the other until the season starts.

UBlender
04-04-2013, 08:39 AM
I posted this on another forum, thought it might be interesting here too.

Just for fun, here's a little comparison of JC stats (2nd year only) for Onwas and Ced Martin, presented without comment:

Onwas Martin*
Ht 6-5 6-4
Wt 205 203
Pts 11.3 9.7
Rebs 3.9 5.2
Asts 1.8 4.2
FG% 36% 43%
3PT% 32% 31%
FT% 60% 70%

Martin's Lee College and Onwas' Navarro appear to be in the same JC league so competition should be similar.

*Martin's JC stats are based on 18 league games as that is all I could find, but I assume that should be a pretty good indication of his whole season.

Sources:

Onwas http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012-13/div1/players/princetononwasnthx

Martin: http://www.region14athletics.org/Week%2014%20Men%27s%20Stats.pdf

LA Ute
04-04-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't get the Onwas recruitment.

RunninU
04-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Onwas is an athletic wing player that just replaced a player (Seymour) that we were going to lose anyway. Is Onwas a home run pick-up? Doubt it. But, he provides something we were short on last year, length & athleticism. He is going to have to come in and try & beat out Dakarai & maybe Dotson for that 3 spot. Whoever wins that starting job is most likely going to be an upgrade over Cedric Martin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SavaUte
04-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Sure, Utah needs more offense, we all know that, but at the same time, look where the team would have been without Martin last year. He was worth at least 10 ppg in his defense alone, any offense was a bonus. If this guy is being described as a Cedric Martin 2.0, and has the defense to go with it, I'm thrilled.

UtahsMrSports
04-04-2013, 09:16 AM
Onwas is an athletic wing player that just replaced a player (Seymour) that we were going to lose anyway. Is Onwas a home run pick-up? Doubt it. But, he provides something we were short on last year, length & athleticism. He is going to have to come in and try & beat out Dakarai & maybe Dotson for that 3 spot. Whoever wins that starting job is most likely going to be an upgrade over Cedric Martin.

Welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!

UtahsMrSports
04-04-2013, 09:17 AM
We are expecting next to nothing out of Dean, Dotson, and Seymour next season. If we get nothing out of their replacements, we brake even. If we get something, it's a bonus. We are basically talking about our 12th man here. Sure, we'd all love a 6'9", 250 pound rebounding monster, but it aint happening at this point in the year.

I only think one of dotson and dean leaves. at least thats how larry put it last night. all reports of both being asked to leave were erroneous.

But I agree with your general point.

SeattleUte
04-04-2013, 09:18 AM
In college basketball wings are the one thing it's hard to get too much of.

UtahsMrSports
04-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Sure, Utah needs more offense, we all know that, but at the same time, look where the team would have been without Martin last year. He was worth at least 10 ppg in his defense alone, any offense was a bonus. If this guy is being described as a Cedric Martin 2.0, and has the defense to go with it, I'm thrilled.

this is spot on.

SeattleUte
04-04-2013, 09:50 AM
this is spot on.

I'm guessing that right now the objective is get the best player available without regard to position. I'd rather get an effective wing than a big stiff.

UtahsMrSports
04-04-2013, 10:18 AM
GREAT interview with Larry yesterday.

Part 1: http://espn.kall700sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Larry-Krystkowiak-pt1-4-3-13.mp3

Part 2: http://espn.kall700sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Larry-Krystkowiak-pt2-4-3-13.mp3

SeattleUte
04-04-2013, 10:29 AM

Part 1: http://espn.kall700sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Larry-Krystkowiak-pt1-4-3-13.mp3

Part 2: http://espn.kall700sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Larry-Krystkowiak-pt2-4-3-13.mp3

Good find. Thanks.

UtahsMrSports
04-04-2013, 10:47 AM
I'm guessing that right now the objective is get the best player available without regard to position. I'd rather get an effective wing than a big stiff.

Tony Jones says its Ogbe or no one.......I know we are still in the running for reynolds, the 4 man. be interesting to see how this works out.

kgjute
04-04-2013, 11:14 AM
I thought the following might be of interest to those evaluating the Princeton Onwas commitment. He was named 1st team all-region (http://www.news-journal.com/sports/kilgore-college-duo-coach-honored-on-all-region-team/article_faeac654-cfd6-5b42-91d8-cf949d6ecb8e.html).

Ute fans will recognize a name on the 2nd team (Anthony Odunsi). Earlier, somebody posted a comparison between Onwas and Martin’s JUCO stats. Several people have talked about Onwas' seemingly unremarkable stat line. I thought a comparison between Odunsi (another player we are familiar with) and Onwas might also be interesting considering it was against the exact same competition:

Onwas Odunsi
Points/Game 11.3 13.8
FG% 36.6% 53.7%
3 Pt % 32.3% 41.9
FT % 60.1% 83.6%
Rebounds/Game 3.9 2.3
Assists/Game 1.8 3.5
Assist to Turnover Ratio 1.1 1.3
Steals 35 60
Blocks 9 3

The raw numbers would suggest that Odunsi had the superior season, yet Onwas was named to the 1st team while Odunsi was 2nd team. There must be a reason why.

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012-13/div1/players/anthonyodunsiz9je

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012-13/div1/players/princetononwasnthx

SoCalPat
04-04-2013, 12:16 PM
I thought the following might be of interest to those evaluating the Princeton Onwas commitment. He was named 1st team all-region (http://www.news-journal.com/sports/kilgore-college-duo-coach-honored-on-all-region-team/article_faeac654-cfd6-5b42-91d8-cf949d6ecb8e.html).

Ute fans will recognize a name on the 2nd team (Anthony Odunsi). Earlier, somebody posted a comparison between Onwas and Martin’s JUCO stats. Several people have talked about Onwas' seemingly unremarkable stat line. I thought a comparison between Odunsi (another player we are familiar with) and Onwas might also be interesting considering it was against the exact same competition:

Onwas Odunsi
Points/Game 11.3 13.8
FG% 36.6% 53.7%
3 Pt % 32.3% 41.9
FT % 60.1% 83.6%
Rebounds/Game 3.9 2.3
Assists/Game 1.8 3.5
Steals 35 60
Blocks 9 3

The raw numbers would suggest that Odunsi had the superior season, yet Onwas was named to the 1st team while Odunsi was 2nd team. There must be a reason why.

Odunsi was probably viewed through a different prism seeing as he was playing down, having spent a season at the D-1 level, whereas Onwas had not.

It will be very interesting to see where Odunsi lands next season.

Scratch
04-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Odunsi was probably viewed through a different prism seeing as he was playing down, having spent a season at the D-1 level, whereas Onwas had not.

It will be very interesting to see where Odunsi lands next season.

Pat, are you saying that someone who transferred down from D-1 to a JuCo is less likely to receive league honors/awards than someone who went straight to the JuCo? If so, that's interesting and something that I would have never considered.

SoCalPat
04-04-2013, 12:19 PM
We are expecting next to nothing out of Dean, Dotson, and Seymour next season. If we get nothing out of their replacements, we brake even. If we get something, it's a bonus. We are basically talking about our 12th man here. Sure, we'd all love a 6'9", 250 pound rebounding monster, but it aint happening at this point in the year.

If that's true, then everyone gushing over getting Onwas needs to reconcile that with the attention he was allegedly receiving from Kansas State. Top 25 teams don't go hard after kids who can't get off the bench at clearly inferior and/or rebuilding programs.

LA Ute
04-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Maybe Onwas has some hidden talent, discernible to Utah's and Kansas State's coaches. I am half-kidding, half-hoping.

SoCalPat
04-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Pat, are you saying that someone who transferred down from D-1 to a JuCo is less likely to receive league honors/awards than someone who went straight to the JuCo? If so, that's interesting and something that I would have never considered.

I can't speak for the motivation behind why a coach may or may not give support to individual honors, only that I know that coaches are funny at times at incorporating their own personal beliefs on a kid and letting them cloud their judgment.

But there ain't a JUCO coach in the country who doesn't see a kid who spent a year at D-1 who figures that kid won't be an impact player at the JUCO level. Odunsi, even though on the surface his numbers are noticeably better than Onwas', might be viewed by the league's coaches as having an advantage that Onwas simply doesn't have. I would be surprised if there wasn't at least one JUCO coach in their league that would judge the players differently based on that.

UBlender
04-04-2013, 12:42 PM
I haven't seen much mention of Onwas' defensive skills, but I have to assume that this is a large part of the equation (both for Utah and Kansas State to recruit him and for his league honors). He's long and athletic so he should be a good defender if he has the desire and has been coached well at it. If he's not a very good defender then none of this makes any sense.

SeattleUte
04-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Recruiting is such a crap shoot. Except Loveridge, Odunsi probably has had more on paper promise than any freshman who's come here. He decomitted at Iowa State to come here. At the time some of us said Clyburn for Odunsi was a good trade.

#1 Utefan
04-04-2013, 05:55 PM

Onwas Odunsi
Points/Game 11.3 13.8
FG% 36.6% 53.7%
3 Pt % 32.3% 41.9
FT % 60.1% 83.6%
Rebounds/Game 3.9 2.3
Assists/Game 1.8 3.5
Steals 35 60
Blocks 9 3

I get the whole athleticism thing but looking at those numbers, did anyone else get the thought that we should have tried to keep Odunsi? Maybe I'm just still trying to digest and understand the signing of a JC wing that shoots 35% when we need shooters and big men.

#1 Utefan
04-04-2013, 08:27 PM

Wings can be stiffs too.

SeattleUte
04-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Wings can be stiffs too.

I said an effective wing.

SeattleUte
04-04-2013, 11:29 PM

I listened to most of this. It's a little frustsrating because there were a lot of generalizataions, and I couldn't care less about the Jazz or the NBA.

But, the good news is that apparently there will be no mass exodus (we're so traumatized fearing this). At the end of the interview Kodiak says he's excited for the continuity, the core four freshmen who made an impact returning, and seeing improvement in them. Earlir he says they're already better than at season's end, singling out Dakarai Tucker. He says he's hoping for two recruits. Apparently it's only about 98% that Seymour will transfer. He's still working out with the team and going to class, and Kodiak hasn't signed the release. So, you all keeping track of the numbers, what does this mean about numbers of transfers?

You know what I like most about this coach? No excuses. He could whine about the moonscape (love that description U-Ute) Boylen left him. Not a word of it. He's just all about progress, a blind eye to the past. It's like an act of faith on our part and his.

LA Ute
04-04-2013, 11:32 PM
I listened to most of this. It's a little frustsrating because there were a lot of generalizataions, and I couldn't care less about the Jazz or the NBA.

But, the good news is that apparently there will be no mass exodus (we're so traumatized fearing this). At the end of the interview Kodiak says he's excited for the continuity, the core four freshmen who made an impact returning, and seeing improvement in them. Earlir he says they're already better than at season's end, singling out Dakarai Tucker. He says he's hoping for two recruits. Apparently it's only about 98% that Seymour will transfer. He's still working out with the team and going to class, and Kodiak hasn't signed the release. So, you all keeping track of the numbers, what does this mean about numbers of transfers?

You know what I like most about this coach? No excuses. He could whine about the moonscape (love that description U-Ute) Boylen left him. Not a word of it. He's just all about progress, a blind eye to the past. It's like an act of faith on our part and his.

I just heard he interviews tonight too, and agree with everything you say.

UtahsMrSports
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM

I apologize. I should have mentioned that part 1 is a lot of talking about the rutgers situation and the final four...........not much talk of our team until part 2.

UtahsMrSports
04-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Saw this tweet yesterday, retweeted by @MW435 and @RunninU..........

Rafal Juc ‏@rafjuc (https://twitter.com/rafjuc)23h (https://twitter.com/rafjuc/status/320916759353892865)
According to sources 6-6 G Kenneth Ogbe ('94) from Germany has visited University of Utah at the end of March & is likely to commit to Utes

So yeah, that could be good news................Im really excited about this kids potential.

LA Ute
04-08-2013, 08:47 AM
Saw this tweet yesterday, retweeted by @MW435 and @RunninU..........

Rafal Juc ‏@rafjuc (https://twitter.com/rafjuc)23h (https://twitter.com/rafjuc/status/320916759353892865)
According to sources 6-6 G Kenneth Ogbe ('94) from Germany has visited University of Utah at the end of March & is likely to commit to Utes

So yeah, that could be good news................Im really excited about this kids potential.

Hoping this is true.

UtahsMrSports
04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Saw on twitter yesterday that Darryl Reynolds still has us in his top 4 and he will decide on April 23. I doubt we land him, but hes a chiseled 4 man with some athletic ability. Maybe a Jay Watkins 2.0.

SavaUte
04-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Ah, Jay Watkins. Loved that guy

SoCalPat
04-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Saw on twitter yesterday that Darryl Reynolds still has us in his top 4 and he will decide on April 23. I doubt we land him, but hes a chiseled 4 man with some athletic ability. Maybe a Jay Watkins 2.0.

Having a Watkins-type player on last year's team would've given us 3-4 more wins. Minimum.

If Reynolds is worth offering, you sell him on the idea that he's the biggest missing piece this team needs. He would compete immediately for playing time, and almost certainly not at the expense of minutes of any of our core group (Loveridge, Olsen, Wright, Taylor)

UBlender
04-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Jay Watkins was a good guy to have, but his biggest problem was that he was only about 6-5 at PF yet didn't have any sort of range to play any SF. Still, he was tough as can be and I'd love to have another like him to be a little bit of an enforcer next to Loveridge.

UtahsMrSports
04-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Having a Watkins-type player on last year's team would've given us 3-4 more wins. Minimum.

If Reynolds is worth offering, you sell him on the idea that he's the biggest missing piece this team needs. He would compete immediately for playing time, and almost certainly not at the expense of minutes of any of our core group (Loveridge, Olsen, Wright, Taylor)

I agree with you.

Only hangup I have is that it appears the staff is intending to keep Loveridge at the 4. Though I think that would change if we landed this kid or Brekkott next year. In a perfect world (to me anyway......), we dont get this kid and we go with your sales pitch to chapman for next year. I think that would work because I think Chapman and loveridge are both tweeners where as this kid appears to be a 4 only.

Two Utes
04-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I agree with you.

Only hangup I have is that it appears the staff is intending to keep Loveridge at the 4. Though I think that would change if we landed this kid or Brekkott next year. In a perfect world (to me anyway......), we dont get this kid and we go with your sales pitch to chapman for next year. I think that would work because I think Chapman and loveridge are both tweeners where as this kid appears to be a 4 only.

Chapman is 6'8" or 6'9" at least. I don't think he is a tweener.

UBlender
04-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Chapman is 6'8" or 6'9" at least. I don't think he is a tweener.

I haven't seen Chapman play live but I have heard from others that he prefers to face the basket and isn't overly physical. I think that may be where people think he might end up as a SF or a tweener. If that is the case, I think you could still pair him with Loveridge and let them be kind of interchangeable at the forward positions (as long as one can defend the opposing wing).

What is your opinion? Am I way off?

UtahsMrSports
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
I haven't seen Chapman play live but I have heard from others that he prefers to face the basket and isn't overly physical. I think that may be where people think he might end up as a SF or a tweener. If that is the case, I think you could still pair him with Loveridge and let them be kind of interchangeable at the forward positions (as long as one can defend the opposing wing).

This is spot on with where i was trying to go.

SoCalPat
04-10-2013, 03:51 PM

I don't think it matters what kind of offensive style Chapman has, as it pertains to our real needs. He's not going to be chasing smaller players out on the perimeter. Conversely, he can provide some mismatches on offense. On defense, he needs to be a classic 4 and provide some size on the interior. Our inability to clean up garbage inside probably resulted in at least four losses this year. And until we get that matter resolved, we'll marvel at Larry's ability to do more with less better than most coaches in the country, but we'll never do anything of significance. We'll be forever treading water -- at best -- in the Pac-12.

SoCalPat
04-10-2013, 03:53 PM
I agree with you.

And right now that's probably my only hang-up with this staff. The Pac-12 is a man's league and you need real size inside. Jordan has length and good smarts, but he's never going to outmuscle opposing 4s in the Pac-12 on either side of the floor.

Two Utes
04-10-2013, 05:44 PM

Agree with everything you say.

UtahsMrSports
04-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Most of you probably already saw this, but Bill Riley tweeted out that Larry K will be flying to Germany today to "recruit". I assume this is an attempt to close the deal with Ogbe. If that is the case, I assume Dotson would be gone. And in that case, I really really like our roster for next year. Its solid. Three point guards, five wings, five post players.

UtahsMrSports
04-12-2013, 11:06 AM
Davis High/Snow College wing Connor Van Brocklin has tweeted that he has committed to us. I have to believe that he will be a walk on, but time will tell. Stay tuned!

UtahsMrSports
04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Are you counting Lenz as a post player?

in terms of position, yes.

UtahsMrSports
04-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Tony tweeted out earlier today that with signing day coming tomorrow, the Utes are expecting a decision from Ogbe. Since Utah has been after him, he has received interest from Xavier, Memphis, and Georgia Tech, so I think the staff must have done something right in seeing this kid first.

Also, according to Tony, Darryl Reynolds does not hold an offer from Utah and is not being recruited at this time. Its unclear why we are in his top 4, other than he threw a name out.

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Well, as has been reported in the other thread, we received our expected commitments today. Fields, Onwas, and Ogbe are all entering the fold. All are very athletic and will provide some length.

The surprising news (and here is where I eat some crow) is that power forward Derryl Reynolds will be visiting here this weekend! He will make his decision this next week and we actually seem to have a shot. He'd be a nice 4 man who is long and athletic. We will see.

Scratch
04-18-2013, 09:52 AM
So is this the roster for 13-14?

PG: Taylor, Van Dyke

SG: Wright, Tucker, Ogbe, Fields

SF: Loveridge, Onwas

PF: Lenz or Reynolds

C: Olsen, Bachynski, Kovacevic

Walk ons: Van Brocklin (SG), Whitt (C)

Leaving: Seymour, Dean, Dotson? Am I counting wrong?

Who leaves if Reynolds comes? Lenz? If he does come and can rebound, we can play around with a lot of small ball lineups with Loveridge and Reynolds as the bigs.

No one else would leave under your hypothetical if Reynolds comes. You have him as one of the 13. If he doesn't one of the three you listed will presumably stay.

I know everyone wants to think of Loveridge at the 3, but unless something drastic happens I don't see any way that happens. Also, while he was exposed for his lack of height a few times, I still think he would have been more exposed guarding a lot of P12 wings last year.

Finally, on your position breakdown, with Loveridge at the 4 some of your SGs are going to log a lot of minutes at the 3. In fact, with the roster K is putting together you're going to probably see a lot of fluidity between the 1-3 spots.

FountainOfUte
04-18-2013, 09:59 AM

I can't remember where I saw it (I *think* Twitter), but I think Whitt has "retired" due to some chronic injury. Has anyone else heard this?

concerned
04-18-2013, 10:00 AM
No one else would leave under your hypothetical if Reynolds comes. You have him as one of the 13. If he doesn't one of the three you listed will presumably stay.

I know everyone wants to think of Loveridge at the 3, but unless something drastic happens I don't see any way that happens. Also, while he was exposed for his lack of height a few times, I still think he would have been more exposed guarding a lot of P12 wings last year.

Finally, on your position breakdown, with Loveridge at the 4 some of your SGs are going to log a lot of minutes at the 3. In fact, with the roster K is putting together you're going to probably see a lot of fluidity between the 1-3 spots.

I thought I read somewhere that Fields will primarily play the point, or at least play it a fair amount. If so, I wonder if they should have let Van Dyke go straight away (but risking he could transfer).

Bacana Ute
04-18-2013, 10:17 AM
So is this the roster for 13-14?

PG: Taylor, Van Dyke

SG: Wright, Tucker, Ogbe, Fields

SF: Loveridge, Onwas

PF: Lenz or Reynolds

C: Olsen, Bachynski, Kovacevic

Leaving: Seymour, Dean, Dotson? Am I counting wrong?

Who leaves if Reynolds comes? Lenz? If he does come and can rebound, we can play around with a lot of small ball lineups with Loveridge and Reynolds as the bigs.
When did Dean leave the program? I haven't seen anything on him leaving and he was a RS Jr last year so he still has a year of eligibility left.

Scratch
04-18-2013, 10:21 AM
I thought I read somewhere that Fields will primarily play the point, or at least play it a fair amount. If so, I wonder if they should have let Van Dyke go straight away (but risking he could transfer).

It will be interesting to see how PG shakes out. Last year, for example, going into the year it seemed like the plan was for Dean and DuBois to handle the point, but by the end of the year you could see that both were more natural 2s, despite Dean's lack of size. This year, we only have one guy who you look at as a PG and only a PG. Then you have Van Dyke, Wright, Ogbe, Fields, and even Onwas who have experience playing the point and have been mentioned as possible points. I think we'll be well into our non-conference schedule before we really get a sense as to who, besides Taylor, will be logging minutes at the point. Hopefully someone will step up.

FountainOfUte
04-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks. I just knew I was counting wrong. I agree with you on Loveridge. He's a 3.5.

Fluidity really is the word. How many players that are slotting to just one position? Taylor (PG), Bachynski (5). I don't know about Kovacevic. But that's more or less it. Everyone else can at least potentially be moved around. That's a lot of potential lineups to play around with. Hopefully we can settle on a few powerful combos.

Any chance of a redshirt for anyone?

Don't you think Bachynski could slide over to PF if needed? He's not some stiff who's only good for clogging up the middle in the mold of like a Foster. He seems athletic and able to move around and even has a bit of range on his shot that doesn't need to be that deep for a four to be effective. It may not be his natural position, I don't think it's a stretch to see him there either.

The problem is, we are so thin at center that I don't think there would ever be a reason to put him anywhere but at the five unless Olsen and Kovacevic are able to completely dominate the 5.

UBlender
04-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Dirk Facer confirms on twitter that both Dotson and Dean will graduate this summer so they can transfer and play next season somewhere else.

UBlender
04-18-2013, 11:50 AM
I actually was thinking the opposite - Olsen plays minutes at the 4 with Bach at center. I was primarily thinking of defense, with Bach in the center and Olsen defending a post up PF. I like Bach, but I don't see him as athletic and able to move.

Most college 4s play facing the basket and have the ability to shoot and/or put the ball on the 4. I'm not sure either Bach or Olsen can guard that type for extended periods.

Two Utes
04-18-2013, 11:55 AM
When did Dean leave the program? I haven't seen anything on him leaving and he was a RS Jr last year so he still has a year of eligibility left.

I am a bit troubled by the staff being so quick to bring people in and then punt them when they think they get someone better. Dean is the example. Dean was a star at Eastern Washington. They enticed him away and now are punting him. Last year they punted a kid who had already signed. Wondering how this affects their ability to recruit long-term.

SeattleUte
04-18-2013, 12:00 PM
I am a bit troubled by the staff being so quick to bring people in and then punt them when they think they get someone better. Dean is the example. Dean was a star at Eastern Washington. They enticed him away and now are punting him. Last year they punted a kid who had already signed. Wondering how this affects their ability to recruit long-term.

How do you know Dean has a problem with this?

I have no problem with transfers as long as the core players who are the future of the program remain.

SeattleUte
04-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Facer says Dean is going to Idaho. It's a good fit for him.

UtahsMrSports
04-18-2013, 12:03 PM

Can we honestly say that anyone who transferred has been "punted"? I mean, look at Glen Dean. He was not going to get any playing time this year and he would probably prefer to go out playing. Now, he gets to go to Idaho where he'll have a chance. As for Seymour, the same thing. He gets to go elsewhere where he will have an opportunity.

UtahsMrSports
04-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Well, if we do not land the Reynolds kid, I wonder who the staff will go after to fill out the roster.

Perhaps they just sit on it until next year. As of right now, there are only two scholarships available for next year (Lenz graduating, PVD going on mission).

Or maybe theyll give it to the Van Brocklin kid.

It sure is fun to be a Utes fan right now!

Jarid in Cedar
04-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Can we honestly say that anyone who transferred has been "punted"? I mean, look at Glen Dean. He was not going to get any playing time this year and he would probably prefer to go out playing. Now, he gets to go to Idaho where he'll have a chance. As for Seymour, the same thing. He gets to go elsewhere where he will have an opportunity.

I think Seymour would have had a chance to play if he stayed. He is the one that left for reasons not about playing time. Homesick? Culture issues? I don't know which, but he would have seen the floor next season if he has stuck around.

Scratch
04-18-2013, 12:55 PM
On Dean, he certainly can't feel like he got an unfair shake. He was essentially handed the starting PG role, had every chance to own it, but just didn't play well enough to hang on to it. Even after Taylor emerged, Dean never played fewer than 11 minutes and was usually in the 15-25 range, so he was consistently given the chance to prove that he belongs and just couldn't get over the hump. Obviously Glen is aware of this, and the fact that he had lots of chances, but is presumably making the decision that's best for him.

UtahsMrSports
04-18-2013, 01:00 PM
I think Seymour would have had a chance to play if he stayed. He is the one that left for reasons not about playing time. Homesick? Culture issues? I don't know which, but he would have seen the floor next season if he has stuck around.

Would have been interesting to see. In an interview with Bill and Hans, Larry said that as time wore on, it appeared that Justin would be better served in a system where he can be a high volume shooter. And in the System that Larry wants to run, there is not exactly room for a gunner. I don't know either way. I do know that we have Delon coming in and I doubt that Seymour would have seen much time behind him.

I wish him the best, hope he lands in a spot where he can be successful.

UtahsMrSports
04-18-2013, 01:02 PM
If they can't find a good 4, they should sit on it for a year.

I would agree with this. We already have a lot of depth on the wings and at the point. If no legitimate big is available, may as well sit on it and see whats around next year.

concerned
04-18-2013, 01:12 PM
I would agree with this. We already have a lot of depth on the wings and at the point. If no legitimate big is available, may as well sit on it and see whats around next year.

so if Reynolds comes, do they boot Lenz or send Parker on his mission?

RunninU
04-18-2013, 01:17 PM
We are -1 right now, so Reynolds would fill the final spot.

Diehard Ute
04-18-2013, 01:18 PM
so if Reynolds comes, do they boot Lenz or send Parker on his mission?

Why? We have a scholarship open

UBlender
04-18-2013, 01:32 PM
So with the 12 that are on board at this very moment, here is my lineup:

C-Olsen, Bachynski, Kovacevic
PF-Loveridge, Lenz
SF-Onwas, Tucker
SG-Wright, Fields, Van Dyke
PG-Taylor, Ogbe

I think there will be battles between Onwas and Tucker to start at the 3, between Bach and Kova for minutes as backup center and between Fields and Van Dyke for minutes at guard. I think Van Dyke will play for sure as he is billed as a great shooter and will be relied on in enough situations (zone breaker, etc). Fields is a redshirt candidate but could also figure into the situation at 3 (he's a bit smaller but attacks the rim so he may fit better as a 3 than a 2).

If we get Reynolds then one of two things may happen (or a combination of the two): Lenz will never see the light of day and/or Loveridge will see some minutes at 3 one or two of the wings will also get squeezed out of minutes (probably Fields and/or Onwas). Reynolds could also be a redshirt candidate to put him two years behind Loveridge. That could dissuade Chapman from picking Utah--but then again, Utah will know in November or earlier where Chapman is going so they can react accordingly.

Two Utes
04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Facer says Dean is going to Idaho. It's a good fit for him.

If that is the case and he wants to go there, I guess I am off base with my comments.

SoCalPat
04-18-2013, 02:06 PM

To me, it's irrelevant whether or not Dean wanted to do this or the staff gave him the boot. Dean NEVER showed he could handle Pac-12 guards, so it's a strike against this staff for hyping Dean as a player who would make a big difference this year (not to mention the fact that they missed badly on how his ability would translate from the Big Sky to the Pac-12). I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Bachinsky and/or Onwas following a similar route next year, especially if we land the Reynolds kid and/or Brekkot Chapman.

SavaUte
04-18-2013, 02:09 PM
To me, it's irrelevant whether or not Dean wanted to do this or the staff gave him the boot. Dean NEVER showed he could handle Pac-12 guards, so it's a strike against this staff for hyping Dean as a player who would make a big difference this year (not to mention the fact that they missed badly on how his ability would translate from the Big Sky to the Pac-12). I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see Bachinsky and/or Onwas following a similar route next year, especially if we land the Reynolds kid and/or Brekkot Chapman.

Yep, you make some, you miss some. Dean may have been a miss, but it seems they're making far more than they're missing.

SoCalPat
04-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Yep, you make some, you miss some. Dean may have been a miss, but it seems they're making far more than they're missing.

Far more? On a scale of 1-to-5:

Year 1:
Storey: 1
Farr: 1
Martin: 2.5
Dotson: 1
Dean: 1
Bachinsky: 1.5
Average: 1.3

Year 2
Loveridge: 4
Tucker: 2.5
Taylor: 3.5
Lenz: 1.5
Dubois: 3.5
Seymour: 1
Average: 2.6

Year 3 (obviously subject to revision)
Wright: 4
Van Dyke: 3
Onwas: 1.5
Ogbe: 1.5
Kovacevic: 2
Average: 2.4

Two Utes
04-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Year 1:

Year 2

I would have loved to see what grade you gave to Wichita State's recruits BEFORE last year. You can go two ways with college hoops. You can go the we have a shitload of talent way like Kentucky and the other big names or you can go the we have solid, intelligent, team oriented, high energy kids who play real well together way ala Wichita, Butler, VCU, George Mason etc.

If you think we can be the former, you are smoking crack.

SavaUte
04-18-2013, 03:11 PM

Year 1:

Year 2

Year 1 was basically all panic pickups and we all knew that. You can't use those to judge.

For year 2, it is impossible to make calls on most of these guys since they are just sophomores. Tucker 2.5.... can't say, Bach 1.5 he's young and who know what he'll turn into - look at Washburn. You probably would have given him a 1.5 as well.

The only guys on that list whose books are written are Dean (hardly a 1. I'd say 2.5 range), Martin, Dotson (can't judge as a 1 just because he's been injured they whole time) and Seymour.

To even give ratings to this years class is asinine. Nobody has any idea how these guys are going to tun out

I'd say the only guys that were real "misses" were Lenz (but he could have a breakout year, who knows, too early to tell), Seymour (and I hesitate to put him here, but transferring after just one year gives me no other choice. His book has been written as a non factor), Farr (year one panic pickup), Storey (year one panic pickup), and Dotson (same situation as Seymour)

I guess for some people the sun never comes up

Two Utes
04-18-2013, 03:12 PM

it is relevant. If you are a school like Utah who can't get 5 star recruits on a regular basis but are also known as the school with no loyalty who will brazenly recruit over anybody, that will be used against you and will hurt you.

Two Utes
04-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Year 1 was basically all panic pickups and we all knew that. You can't use those to judge.

For year 2, it is impossible to make calls on most of these guys since they are just sophomores. Tucker 2.5.... can't say, Bach 1.5 he's young and who know what he'll turn into - look at Washburn. You probably would have given him a 1.5 as well.

The only guys on that list whose books are written are Dean (hardly a 1. I'd say 2.5 range), Martin, Dotson (can't judge as a 1 just because he's been injured they whole time) and Seymour.

To even give ratings to this years class is asinine. Nobody has any idea how these guys are going to tun out

I'd say the only guys that were real "misses" were Lenz (but he could have a breakout year, who knows, too early to tell), Seymour (and I hesitate to put him here, but transferring after just one year gives me no other choice. His book has been written as a non factor), Farr (year one panic pickup), Storey (year one panic pickup), and Dotson (same situation as Seymour)

Storey just signed with Morehead State

SavaUte
04-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Storey just signed with Morehead State

Good for him. With that move he will forever be picked by every man on earth if he is in the NCAA tourney

UtahsMrSports
04-18-2013, 03:29 PM

Year 1:

Year 2

I dont know that its fair to say that the staff was "missing" on guys in year 1.

SoCalPat
04-18-2013, 03:33 PM

No sane person could give the same rating to Tucker (who's still with the team and got more minutes as the season progressed) and Dean (who isn't, and who got beaten out by a true just 12 games into his career). And I also said the Year 3 class rankings are obviously subject to change. If you can hype up the incoming class as being "far more" hits than misses, then I am entitled to provide my own view as well.

1: Bad players or who left the program early

2: Saw minutes, started some

3. Productive player, capable of leading team in stretches

4. All-league caliber player, leading scorer, player whom opposing coaches have to gameplan around

5. Monster stud with NBA potential who backs it up across the board statistically for his position.

Also, spare me this "sun never comes up" bullshit. Everyone knew from Day 1 that Larry would only go as far as his recruiting took him. No one can doubt his Xs and Os, or getting more out of less, but neither he nor a single member of his staff have recruited successfully at this level before. And in case you haven't noticed -- or just plain ignored it -- we were still a 10th-place team last year. The postseason run was very nice, but also fueled greatly by players who are no longer with the program.

SoCalPat
04-18-2013, 03:38 PM
I dont know that its fair to say that the staff was "missing" on guys in year 1.

More apologist claptrap. Dean and Dotson were the guys that were going to make winning 5 D-1 games in Year 1 a distant memory in a hurry. I don't pile on the staff for Dotson for getting hurt -- it is what it is. Dean's another story -- just go back and find what most were saying about how much of an impact he would make. Better yet, find me the person who said Taylor would be starting for us by Jan. 15. (Hint: S/he doesn't exist).

UtahsMrSports
04-18-2013, 03:52 PM
More apologist claptrap. Dean and Dotson were the guys that were going to make winning 5 D-1 games in Year 1 a distant memory in a hurry. I don't pile on the staff for Dotson for getting hurt -- it is what it is. Dean's another story -- just go back and find what most were saying about how much of an impact he would make. Better yet, find me the person who said Taylor would be starting for us by Jan. 15. (Hint: S/he doesn't exist).

Strawman argument.

My point is that its dumb to say "well, the staff really missed on farr and storey!" they were what they were and everyone knew it. As far as Dean and Dotson, I never had great hope for either. I figured Dean could provide a steadying hand and some outside shooting. He did at times. Dotson was a guy who I thought could provide some scoring punch. He got hurt. Neither was hyped up by the staff as saviors. Any hype was brought on by the fans and I cant speak to that.

crazyute
04-18-2013, 03:59 PM
why do we need to pile on? seems we have a staff that is trying to rebuild. sometimes it can get ugly. I don't understand why you feel like you need to be so harsh or the need to pile on? are you that important? I understand this is a message board and you are just giving an opinion. but there were strides made last. I would say that is a step in the right direction.

SavaUte
04-18-2013, 04:01 PM

Year 1:

Year 2

1: Bad players or who left the program early

2: Saw minutes, started some

3. Productive player, capable of leading team in stretches

4. All-league caliber player, leading scorer, player whom opposing coaches have to gameplan around

5. Monster stud with NBA potential who backs it up across the board statistically for his position.

According to your grading system, Lenz is just a step ahead of a bad player that left the program early before he even graduates. Dean and dotson were both "bad players", and either Onwas or Ogbe will be a bad player that leaves the program early.

I stand by my statement that the sun never comes up for some people.

Rocker Ute
04-18-2013, 04:06 PM

It is interesting people's respective perspectives. I actually don't recall high praise of these guys as saviors of the program, but as pieces of the puzzle to right the ship. I do agree that they by and large underperformed maybe what we were expecting even with that, but I never got the impression that anyone, include the Ute staff, believed this year was going to make Y1 an distant memory. In fact, one funny moment from an Alumni Association event where Kodiak was speaking, someone tried to corner him on predictions or goals for the upcoming year. He wouldn't do it. Finally someone said, "So, is the NIT your goal then?" He paused and said, "Yeah, let's do that..." as if to say, "Whatever you want, this team isn't going to be great."

My point being, since I was fair to middlin' on this year, with an expectation of 14-16 wins (which they got by the skin of their teeth, so I'm barely counting this year as 'meeting my expectations') I was never overly excited about Dean or Dotson or even Dubois.

However, I agree the hype you are talking about did come early in the season when we won a few games we should have and some people started acting like we were going to be Florida Gulf Coast in the tourney or something.

I do think that recruiting appears to be improving obviously from Y1, but even from Y2 to Y3... and I think we actually have that little end of season run to thank for it.

Next year we need to get someone special on the squad as a recruit. This doesn't mean a blue chipper (although that would be nice) but someone who can be all-PAC12 with NBA upside potential. I'll have a lot more faith in Kodiak if that happens next. Previous recruiting cycles it simply wasn't a reality if they were working legitimately.

Has anyone thought about contacting Jabari Parker ;).

SoCalPat
04-18-2013, 04:09 PM
I'm not sure what constitues a good "GPA" based on your scale. If we have a 4 in Loveridge, and if Wright really becomes a 4 as well as you are predicting, then we have two all-conference caliber players who the other coaches have to gameplan around. That would be enough to compete for a conference title.

We have 6 guards now. I don't care if 5 of them are 1-2 on your scale if the other is a 4. So the average GPA doesn't matter all that much. If just a couple of these guards work out, then we are set in the backcourt.

I will say that I am more skeptical of Wright than you seem to be. JUCO guards who score a ton are common, but they usually don't transition all that well to "the show."

I think you need more than 2, but my definition of all-league caliber is pretty wide open. Also, all-league should include all-frosh, all-defense and honorable mention selections. Personally, I think you need 3 to compete for an NCAA berth. UCLA had 5, Arizona had 4, Oregon had 3.5 (Kazemi made two teams, so I couldn't count him twice and split the difference). So did Colorado (Roberson pulled a Kazemi-double). Cal had only 2, but Crabbe was POY.

I'm high on Wright because not only did he put up great numbers, he did it against superior competition on a team that was loaded. I'm a big believer in what the right JUCOs can do for a program, so maybe I'm too high on Wright, but he's tailor-made to do for us what a high-impact JUCO is supposed to do.

SoCalPat
04-18-2013, 04:15 PM
According to your grading system, Lenz is just a step ahead of a bad player that left the program early before he even graduates. Dean and dotson were both "bad players", and either Onwas or Ogbe will be a bad player that leaves the program early.

I stand by my statement that the sun never comes up for some people.

First Year 3 Revision:
Wright: 5
Van Dyke: 5
Ogbe: 5
Onwas: 5
Kovacevic: 5

SavaUte
04-18-2013, 04:19 PM
First Year 3 Revision:
Wright: 5
Van Dyke: 5
Ogbe: 5
Onwas: 5
Kovacevic: 5

Thats better!!

UBlender
04-18-2013, 04:36 PM
One way to look at Utah's recruiting is to see who we are competing with for recruits (and the results of those battles).

Year 1 (Martin, Farr, Storey, Odunsi, Dawson, Dean, Dotson): We were competing with practically (and in some cases literally) zero division one programs for most of these guys. Odunsi was at one time signed with a good Iowa State program, other than that none of these guys were wanted by programs that you've heard of, including Martin who I believe overachieved for Utah.
Year 2 (Loveridge, Seymour, Tucker, Taylor, Lenz, Bachynski, DuBois): Loveridge was clearly the prize as he was at least wanted by BYU and a few other good programs in the west. Lenz also had some quality major conference programs after him and was a nice recruiting win for Utah even though he hasn't panned out. I honestly don't recall who else offered Seymour but I don't think it was anyone major. The others were basically WCC caliber recruits as far as their offer lists. A clear step up over year one.
Year 3 (Wright, Van Dyke, Miller, Kovacevic, Onwas, Ogbe, Fields): Among the schools that offered these guys: Colorado, Ole Miss, St Joe's, BYU, Houston, TCU, ASU, WSU with schools like Washington, Kansas State, Xavier and Memphis showing heavy interest. Not exactly a who's who of college basketball but clearly a step up.

We'll see how these guys pan out, but based on the logic of "players who are recruited by bigger programs are usually better than players who aren't" we are getting better. Another step up is still needed if this thing is going to get where we want it to go.

Two Utes
04-18-2013, 04:45 PM
One way to look at Utah's recruiting is to see who we are competing with for recruits (and the results of those battles).

Year 1 (Martin, Farr, Storey, Odunsi, Dawson, Dean, Dotson): We were competing with practically (and in some cases literally) zero division one programs for most of these guys. Odunsi was at one time signed with a good Iowa State program, other than that none of these guys were wanted by programs that you've heard of, including Martin who I believe overachieved for Utah.
Year 2 (Loveridge, Seymour, Tucker, Taylor, Lenz, Bachynski, DuBois): Loveridge was clearly the prize as he was at least wanted by BYU and a few other good programs in the west. Lenz also had some quality major conference programs after him and was a nice recruiting win for Utah even though he hasn't panned out. I honestly don't recall who else offered Seymour but I don't think it was anyone major. The others were basically WCC caliber recruits as far as their offer lists. A clear step up over year one.
Year 3 (Wright, Van Dyke, Miller, Kovacevic, Onwas, Ogbe, Fields): Among the schools that offered these guys: Colorado, Ole Miss, St Joe's, BYU, Houston, TCU, ASU, WSU with schools like Washington, Kansas State, Xavier and Memphis showing heavy interest. Not exactly a who's who of college basketball but clearly a step up.

We'll see how these guys pan out, but based on the logic of "players who are recruited by bigger programs are usually better than players who aren't" we are getting better. Another step up is still needed if this thing is going to get where we want it to go.

Great thoughts. Odunsi just signed with some mid major back east.

SoCalPat
04-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Great thoughts. Odunsi just signed with some mid major back east.

Albany, which made the tournament this year.

Also, Dom Lee will likely to sign with a D-1 program in the next few days as well.

Two Utes
04-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Albany, which made the tournament this year.

Also, Dom Lee will likely to sign with a D-1 program in the next few days as well.

Lee is being recruited by Northern Colorado and UVU, among others. Lee runs the floor like a beast and is strong as hell. Very good rebounder. But he can't shoot.

SoCalPat
04-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Lee is being recruited by Northern Colorado and UVU, among others. Lee runs the floor like a beast and is strong as hell. Very good rebounder. But he can't shoot.

Since his JUCO coach just took a job as an assistant at UNC, I'd say they have to be the favorite

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Its been reported widely, but I figured id put it here in case anyone missed it........

Reynolds is making his decision at 2:30 eastern time from his high school. I am sure someone will post the results here. Dan Sorensen tweeted out that he enjoyed his visit out here, so I guess we will see!

SeattleUte
04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Today?

LA Ute
04-22-2013, 12:40 PM
Its been reported widely, but I figured id put it here in case anyone missed it........

Reynolds is making his decision at 2:30 eastern time from his high school. I am sure someone will post the results here. Dan Sorensen tweeted out that he enjoyed his visit out here, so I guess we will see!

Thanks. That's at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow, if what I've seen is right, so we'll know during lunchtime tomorrow Mountain and Pacific time. I think his final schools are Utah, South Carolina, Villanova, and Seton Hall. At least we are not competing with Big Sky schools for this one.

Applejack
04-22-2013, 12:43 PM
Who is the front runner?

LA Ute
04-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Who is the front runner?

Reports are that he has been very coy about that.

Jarid in Cedar
04-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Today?

Tuesday

UBlender
04-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Who is the front runner?

According to some it will be either Utah or Villanova. I'm thinking Villanova, hometown school wins out.

SeattleUte
04-22-2013, 01:05 PM
According to some it will be either Utah or Villanova. I'm thinking Villanova, hometown school wins out.

I'm thinking that if it were Villanova he'd have not made the trip to Utah. We are a monopoly if he wants to go west of the Atlantic coast.

LA Ute
04-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Anyone know what Villanova looks like at his position? Is the line to playing time shorter at Utah or Nova?

Applejack
04-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Anyone know what Villanova looks like at his position? Is the line to playing time shorter at Utah or Nova?

Wide open. Villanova is really thin at 4 next year. There are also rumors that his buddy is going to sign with them.

LA Ute
04-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Wide open. Villanova is really thin at 4 next year. There are also rumors that his buddy is going to sign with them.

Wrong answer, AJ! ;)

SeattleUte
04-22-2013, 02:43 PM
Wide open.

Ours isn't? Villanova is a program in decline. We are also effectively in a better conference presently. The new Big East is still an experiment.

SoCalPat
04-22-2013, 02:48 PM
The two far-away schools for Reynolds (Utah, South Carolina) are both Under Armour schools. His AAU team, Philly Pride, is sponsored by Under Armour. Ahmad Fields' AAU team D.C. Assault, is another Under Armour school (and I believe ex-Ute Kareem Storey also played for the Assault). I've got a lot of opinions on how our relationship with Under Armour has killed our basketball program, but it's high time our affiliation with UA start delivering for us in hoops (it has long done so in football).

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Ours isn't? Villanova is a program in decline. We are also effectively in a better conference presently. The new Big East is still an experiment.

We don't have many minutes at the 4 next year.

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2013, 03:12 PM
thanks to everyone who caught my mistake, yes, Reynolds announces tomorrow at 1230 mdt.

SeattleUte
04-22-2013, 03:26 PM

We don't have an abundance of talented big men. Our big men have everything to prove. There's opportunity for anyone 6-8 and over to win minutes. I doubt that the coaches will pay too much attention to subtleties of position if there are a couple of big men clearly better than the others.

Applejack
04-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Yes, there are a ton of minutes to be had at the 4. Presumably, Reynolds and Loveridge could often play side by side. Olsen may play the 4 a little. Based on what we've seen so far, Lenz shouldn't get minutes.

Agreed. Being the backup 4 on a team with little proven size like the Utes would put him in line to get fringe-starter minutes. Around 15-20, I would think. Of course, I think Villanova lacks a starter at the 4, so there is that.

LA Ute
04-22-2013, 04:04 PM
Agreed. Being the backup 4 on a team with little proven size like the Utes would put him in line to get fringe-starter minutes. Around 15-20, I would think. Of course, I think Villanova lacks a starter at the 4, so there is that.

It would be interesting to know what Krysko told Reynolds about playing time and position, but I don't think we'll ever know unless he becomes a Ute and talks about it.

SoCalPat
04-22-2013, 04:23 PM

Jordan Loveridge is the best player on our team and should lead us in scoring next year. But we're not going to win many more games if our starting 4 can't shoot 40 percent from the field. Your top-line Pac-12 4s consistently shoot in excess of 50 percent and grab far more than the 7.0 rebounds per game Loveridge had last year. If he's going to be our best player and he's going to play the 4, he needs to significantly upgrade his productivity.

A legit 4 like a Kazemi or Roberson would push Loveridge to the 3, which is where he would be most effective. He shot 37 percent from 3 and his length and quickness can cause matchup problems on the perimeter.

SoCalPat
04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Who is the front runner?

Nova's SB Nation board has some interesting thoughts on that. One says it's Nova (which will also sign one of Reynolds' good, highly-touted friends). Another one comes in and emphatically says that Nova is by no means a lock. Yet another references a Tweet that says Reynolds' friend is going to NC State, which puts South Carolina in the game.

http://www.vuhoops.com/2013/4/21/4250948/villanova-recruiting-darryl-reynolds-to-choose-on-tuesday

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2013, 05:22 PM

My whole point is that unless he is good enough to beat out Loveridge, hes playing 10 min/game tops.

We all think Loveridge could/should play the 3, but signs are that that wont happen. We will see though.

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Jordan Loveridge is the best player on our team and should lead us in scoring next year. But we're not going to win many more games if our starting 4 can't shoot 40 percent from the field. Your top-line Pac-12 4s consistently shoot in excess of 50 percent and grab far more than the 7.0 rebounds per game Loveridge had last year. If he's going to be our best player and he's going to play the 4, he needs to significantly upgrade his productivity.

A legit 4 like a Kazemi or Roberson would push Loveridge to the 3, which is where he would be most effective. He shot 37 percent from 3 and his length and quickness can cause matchup problems on the perimeter.

And I dont think hes anywhere near that. He is what he is............a spring time recruit. A guy on ESPN700 today put it well in saying that Spring signees are often like 2nd round NBA draft picks. Could he help us? yeah, but I dont think he is the instant impact, play half the game, beast on the boards, player that folks are thinking.

UtahsMrSports
04-22-2013, 05:40 PM
I agree. But we need the position so much that he becomes pretty important to us.

no argument from me on either of your points. and believe me, I certainly would like to see the two on the court together. This staff just seems reluctant to do that, even when we had so little depth on the perimeter this past year. Now that we have some, I dont see Love at the 3 much.......but hey, a) its april b) how many times have I swung and missed on this thread alone? ha ha.

SeattleUte
04-23-2013, 10:22 AM
I just had a worrisom thought. Why would he announce this way, in Philly, with all of the folderol, if he weren't going to pick Villanova?

UtahsMrSports
04-23-2013, 10:37 AM
I just had a worrisom thought. Why would he announce this way, in Philly, with all of the folderol, if he weren't going to pick Villanova?

Interesting. I guess I just haven't got too excited, figuring he'd pick Villanova. Here is where I sit with him, and our situation, quite frankly:

If he signs:

-He brings depth to our frontcourt, some length, some athleticism.
-He gives us some versatility and lets other guys play other spots.
-A guy like Brekkott Chapman looks at us and may think "hmmmm, theyve already got a young PF, ill look elsewhere"
-But, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

If he doesn't sign:

-We will be fine. Loveridge and Lenz with spot minutes from Olsen can hold down the fort there.
-We sit on the extra scholarship and wait until next year.
-Our odds of landing Chapman go up perhaps, as there isn't a young PF in the pipeline.
-However, Chapman is not anywhere near a guarantee, so we still dont have a long term solution yet.

Either way, I am fine. I was much more interested in Ogbe and we brought him in. With this kid, if he signs, Ill be the first guy to cheer him on and welcome him to the family of Ute basketball. If he decides to pursue another opportunity, I am not even going to put in enough effort to say "ah, dang it!"

Applejack
04-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Interesting. I guess I just haven't got too excited, figuring he'd pick Villanova. Here is where I sit with him, and our situation, quite frankly:

If he signs:

-He brings depth to our frontcourt, some length, some athleticism.
-He gives us some versatility and lets other guys play other spots.
-A guy like Brekkott Chapman looks at us and may think "hmmmm, theyve already got a young PF, ill look elsewhere"
-But, a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.

If he doesn't sign:

-We will be fine. Loveridge and Lenz with spot minutes from Olsen can hold down the fort there.
-We sit on the extra scholarship and wait until next year.
-Our odds of landing Chapman go up perhaps, as there isn't a young PF in the pipeline.
-However, Chapman is not anywhere near a guarantee, so we still dont have a long term solution yet.

Either way, I am fine. I was much more interested in Ogbe and we brought him in. With this kid, if he signs, Ill be the first guy to cheer him on and welcome him to the family of Ute basketball. If he decides to pursue another opportunity, I am not even going to put in enough effort to say "ah, dang it!"

You seem much higher on Lenz than I am. Is that mostly hope about his development or did you see something last year?

Jarid in Cedar
04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Half hour to the announcement. I, for one, think he is an important cog in the machine. We are very thin in the frontline (if Loveridge or Olsen were to get hurt.....), so we need more quality bigs. If we only carry 4 into next season, I could see us take a lateral step, instead of a forward leap.

Two Utes
04-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Half hour to the announcement. I, for one, think he is an important cog in the machine. We are very thin in the frontline (if Loveridge or Olsen were to get hurt.....), so we need more quality bigs. If we only carry 4 into next season, I could see us take a lateral step, instead of a forward leap.

Picks Villanova. Not surprised.

SeattleUte
04-23-2013, 12:54 PM
I bet they still add a big.

UtahsMrSports
04-23-2013, 12:56 PM
You seem much higher on Lenz than I am. Is that mostly hope about his development or did you see something last year?

I dont know that I am really "high" on him, as much as I am comfortable that he can fill a role for us. He is a decent shot blocker, a threat to knock down a shot from deep, etc. I also think he is going to be the anti-jiggy watkins in that he actually cares enough to get better over the summer.

UtahsMrSports
04-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Unless something dramatic happens, I feel confident saying that the staff will just sit on the last scholarship unless some out of this world transfer becomes available. Or perhaps they will give it to one of the walkons for this year (unlikely). Either way, I think this staff is going to make a HUGE push for Chapman this summer and if we land him, it will be huge. Either way, I don't think we will be kicking ourselves in three years wishing we had landed Reynolds. Best of luck to him though.

LA Ute
04-23-2013, 01:05 PM
One thing that should make us all happy is that next season our guard line won't be dwarfed by that of our PAC-12 opponents.

UtahsMrSports
04-23-2013, 01:08 PM
One thing that should make us all happy is that next season our guard line won't be dwarfed by that of our PAC-12 opponents.

Indeed! There is a lot to be excited about for Ute hoops!

Two Utes
04-23-2013, 01:15 PM

And there is absolutely no correlation to the interest a potential signee garners at his announcement and how well he can play.

LA Ute
04-23-2013, 02:23 PM
And there is absolutely no correlation to the interest a potential signee garners at his announcement and how well he can play.

Yes. Do you remember the frenzy lot of Utah and BYU fans worked themselves into over Garner Meads? That's an interesting example.

SoCalPat
04-23-2013, 07:18 PM
Yes. Do you remember the frenzy lot of Utah and BYU fans worked themselves into over Garner Meads? That's an interesting example.

I have to imagine Meads still paid some dividends for BYU, even though his career there was a flop. Nothing gets you more on the radar nationally than an unexpected landing of a Top 20 player.

LA Ute
04-23-2013, 07:20 PM
I have to imagine Meads still paid some dividends for BYU, even though his career there was a flop. Nothing gets you more on the radar nationally than an unexpected landing of a Top 20 player.

I don't recall but I think he was the first major in-stater to choose BYU after the Majerus era's zenith. Am I right? If so, then I guess he may well have been very significant for BYU despite his lackluster career.

SoCalPat
04-23-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't recall but I think he was the first major in-stater to choose BYU after the Majerus era's zenith. Am I right? If so, then I guess he may well have been very significant for BYU despite his lackluster career.

Either him or Mikeli Wesley, if memory serves.

SoCalPat
04-23-2013, 07:39 PM
We're not sitting on the schollie:

http://utah.scout.com/2/1285746.html

Cool thing is, Aytes is from the same high school as Dakari Tucker.

LA Ute
04-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Interesting. How do you feel about another 6'6" power forward?

SoCalPat
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Interesting. How do you feel about another 6'6" power forward?

I've seen a 6-7, 225 listing for him as well. If he checks out at that, I'd be all for it.

Some kids bloom late. I also doubt the other Pac-12 schools are looking at him as a 3.

Diehard Ute
04-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Doleac was a late bloomer, really didn't do much until his senior year.

Majerus offered him based on potential seen at Utah's camp, not because of any consistent performance.

LA Ute
04-23-2013, 07:59 PM
Doleac was a late bloomer, really didn't do much until his senior year.

Majerus offered him based on potential seen at Utah's camp, not because of any consistent performance.

It would be cool to have an under-the-radar late bloomer join the Utes. I seem to recall Doleac showing lots of potential even as a frosh and soph. But it's been a while.

EDIT: He started as a junior (http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/utah/michael-doleac). So maybe I am off about freshman and sophomore years.

Diehard Ute
04-23-2013, 08:01 PM
It would be cool to have an under-the-radar late bloomer join the Utes. I seem to recall Doleac showing lots of potential even as a frosh and soph. But it's been a while.

He did, but his performance as a freshman was completely unexpected.

Majerus really thought he would be a project.

UtahsMrSports
04-23-2013, 08:15 PM

Well, there you go! Note to self: stop believing everything that comes from Tony Jones! Great find, Pat. I am happy to be wrong if we bring this kid in.

U-Ute
04-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Wasn't there a lot of pant wetting about landing Pinegar the year before as well?

UteBeliever aka Port
04-23-2013, 08:48 PM
About that same time there was another Utah kid that chose BYU. I can't remember his name off the top of my head. IIRC, he was from the south part of SL Valley.

*edit* Derek Dawes

U-Ute
04-23-2013, 08:50 PM
About that same time there was another Utah kid that chose BYU. I can't remember his name off the top of my head. IIRC, he was from the south part of SL Valley.

*edit* Derek Dawes

Which one was the one that Majerus labeled "Peanut Brain" at his camp? Pinegar?

Mormon Red Death
04-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Which one was the one that Majerus labeled "Peanut Brain" at his camp? Pinegar?

Trent plaisted

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

U-Ute
04-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Trent plaisted

That's right...

That still cracks me up.

RunninU
04-23-2013, 10:31 PM
From Jason Scheer

https://twitter.com/JasonScheer/status/326912587981811713

Forward Jamal Aytes will welcome Arizona and Utah tomorrow. Has already met with Bruce Weber, Pepperdine, BYU, Boston College this week

LA Ute
04-23-2013, 10:34 PM
From Jason Scheer

https://twitter.com/JasonScheer/status/326912587981811713

Forward Jamal Aytes will welcome Arizona and Utah tomorrow. Has already met with Bruce Weber, Pepperdine, BYU, Boston College this week

Interesting mix of schools.

SoCalPat
04-24-2013, 08:26 AM
He did, but his performance as a freshman was completely unexpected.

Majerus really thought he would be a project.

Yes and no. Doleac blossomed his senior year and was POY in Oregon his final year, but had already signed the LOI with Utah.

He logged solid minutes from Day 1, and in his first game, when we beat Indiana in Maui, Bobby Knight couldn't stop talking about Doleac. That pretty much put an end to Doleac being a project.

UtahsMrSports
04-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Yes and no. Doleac blossomed his senior year and was POY in Oregon his final year, but had already signed the LOI with Utah.

He logged solid minutes from Day 1, and in his first game, when we beat Indiana in Maui, Bobby Knight couldn't stop talking about Doleac. That pretty much put an end to Doleac being a project.

I think landing a Mike Doleac-esque player will be crucial to our rebuilding project. But in today's age, with an over-abundance of recruiting services, it will be difficult to do that.

SeattleUte
04-24-2013, 10:11 AM
I think landing a Mike Doleac-esque player will be crucial to our rebuilding project. But in today's age, with an over-abundance of recruiting services, it will be difficult to do that.

We already have a Mike Doleac-esque player. His naem is Olsen.

U-Ute
04-24-2013, 10:40 AM

I agree with this. Olsen is a smart player, much like Doleac was.

UtahsMrSports
04-24-2013, 11:11 AM

Yeah, I agree...........

But my point was that Doleac (as mentioned here) was a guy that we snatched up right before he blew up and he developed into a lottery pick with a nearly decade long NBA career afterward.

Olsen had a long list of offers from solid, top programs. He is good, and believe me, I am glad to have him, but is he a lottery pick?

Diehard Ute
04-24-2013, 11:15 AM
Yeah, I agree...........

But my point was that Doleac (as mentioned here) was a guy that we snatched up right before he blew up and he developed into a lottery pick with a nearly decade long NBA career afterward.

Olsen had a long list of offers from solid, top programs. He is good, and believe me, I am glad to have him, but is he a lottery pick?

Reality is Doleac didn't become a lottery pick until his senior year. He averaged 7 points a game as a freshman...he averaged 16 as a senior. I'm excited to see what Olsen does with a full off season to workout, he was really behind the curve last year due to injury

SeattleUte
04-24-2013, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I agree...........

He is as likely to be a lottery pick as Doleac was between his freshman and sophomore year. And this coaching staff has a good track record for developing big men.

UtahsMrSports
04-24-2013, 11:21 AM
He is as likely to be a lottery pick as Doleac was between his freshman and sophomore year. And this coaching staff has a good track record for developing big men.

Fair enough.

SoCalPat
04-24-2013, 01:55 PM

There's a lot to like about Olsen's game, but there are enough holes in it (not to mention about 40 pounds of muscle) to not just tap the brakes on this assessment, but slam on them and grind it to a screeching halt.

Diehard Ute
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
There's a lot to like about Olsen's game, but there are enough holes in it (not to mention about 40 pounds of muscle) to not just tap the brakes on this assessment, but slam on them and grind it to a screeching halt.

Especially when the glass is a,ways 99.9% empty as it is in your world right? ;)

SoCalPat
04-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Especially when the glass is a,ways 99.9% empty as it is in your world right? ;)

Or maybe I just respect Doleac's career too much to cheapen it through exaggerated hype, all in the name of appearing to be a "good fan".

Diehard Ute
04-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Or maybe I just respect Doleac's career too much to cheapen it through exaggerated hype, all in the name of appearing to be a "good fan".

Don't hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

SoCalPat
04-24-2013, 02:12 PM
Don't hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

Whatever you say, SuperFan.

SavaUte
04-24-2013, 02:17 PM
Whatever you say, SuperFan.

Haha, I think he was originally taking a sarcastic jab at me for saying that the sun never comes up for you.

I'm with you in saying that I'm not ready to call anyone the "next Doleac" or "next Miller" until they prove it on the court.

Every time i left the huntsman center this year, I always would hear people saying how good this team would be if Utah could just get "another Miller" like that is something that is easy to do. As time has gone on and guys like him didn't receive much press, people are forgetting just how awesome they were. ANY program in the country would love to have "another Miller"....

SoCalPat
04-24-2013, 02:28 PM
Haha, I think he was originally taking a sarcastic jab at me for saying that the sun never comes up for you.

I'm with you in saying that I'm not ready to call anyone the "next Doleac" or "next Miller" until they prove it on the court.

Every time i left the huntsman center this year, I always would hear people saying how good this team would be if Utah could just get "another Miller" like that is something that is easy to do. As time has gone on and guys like him didn't receive much press, people are forgetting just how awesome they were. ANY program in the country would love to have "another Miller"....

If you weren't the only one who said it ...

SeattleUte
04-24-2013, 02:52 PM

By comparing them as freshmen? Doleac was not a projected lottery pick as a freshman. It honors his career to note how far he came.

FountainOfUte
04-24-2013, 04:06 PM
I love Doleac, but I thought he was a little overrated heading into the NBA.

While I don't see Olsen ever being a FRDP in the NBA, I think it's possible for him to have a college career (individual stat speaking) that's in the same ballpark as Doleac's -- not matching or passing, but not laughably incomparable either.

Let's see what kind of a leap he makes from frosh to soph. Ultimately, Doleac had NBA size and strength that Olsen probably never will. But maybe Olsen will mature and produce for the Utes over the course of four years similar to the way Doleac did. Also, Olsen is a smaller guy than Doleac competing in the PAC-12 that has more true bigs then Mike ever went up against regularly in the WAC.

UtahsMrSports
04-25-2013, 09:02 AM
So.................we sitting on the extra scholarship, or using it? Thoughts?

UtahsMrSports
04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Seems like we are trying to use it if we can find a PF worth giving it to. Funny, I see BYU is in the same position, offering all the same PFs we are. It's like we both looked around and realized we were very thin at that spot.

I would rather sit on the scholarship than give it to just anyone, but we really are thin at the 4.

But we are in somewhat of a pickle that BYU is not in...........

If healthy, Loveridge is playing 32-35 minutes every game there. I know, I know, he can and should be playing the 3, but I just dont see it. Hard to sell a kid on coming here "hey, you can come pick up the spare minutes behind loveridge for 3 years".

Now, if its someone of the caliber of Brekkott chapman, then yeah, the staff probably lets them play next to each other. But there is no one left of that caliber who is considering us.

BYU on the other hand has Mika coming in and Nate Austin and a bunch of role players. A lot more chance to crack a rotation there. Just my two cents though.