PDA

View Full Version : The Official Mea Culpas Thread, or How Larry Krystkowiak Won Me Over

SoCalPat
03-14-2013, 09:33 PM
I will begin this thread, humbly and meekly. Not to mention with plenty of absolutes.

I'm past thinking Larry's future, if he can recruit, etc. I'm all in. Two wins from the unlikeliest accomplishment in Utah sports history. When we finish the deal, it will always be something to cherish and celebrate. Put it this way, if you would've wagered me that my first true irritation at not having the Pac-12 network would have come during basketball season, you'd own me outright, everything I own and the future of my three children.

I've always said any new coach has to have a point where he overdelivers sooner rather than later. In the big picture that is Utah basketball, four straight wins is not a big deal. Given what we've dealt with over the last several years, these are the biggest four consecutive wins since the Final Four run. Just as importantly, we can dream big for the first time since the Bogut Era (while I enjoyed the 2009 season, my Dream Big mentality took a huge hit on Selection Sunday when I saw we drew Arizona). And it feels fucking great.

DrumNFeather
03-14-2013, 09:37 PM
I will begin this thread, humbly and meekly. Not to mention with plenty of absolutes.

I'm past thinking Larry's future, if he can recruit, etc. I'm all in. Two wins from the unlikeliest accomplishment in Utah sports history. When we finish the deal, it will always be something to cherish and celebrate. Put it this way, if you would've wagered me that my first true irritation at not having the Pac-12 network would have come during basketball season, you'd own me outright, everything I own and the future of my three children.

I've always said any new coach has to have a point where he overdelivers sooner rather than later. In the big picture that is Utah basketball, four straight wins is not a big deal. Given what we've dealt with over the last several years, these are the biggest four consecutive wins since the Final Four run. Just as importantly, we can dream big for the first time since the Bogut Era (while I enjoyed the 2009 season, my Dream Big mentality took a huge hit on Selection Sunday when I saw we drew Arizona). And it feels fucking great.

:clap:

Jarid in Cedar
03-14-2013, 09:40 PM
I hate drawing comparisons, but this feels like Steve Cleveland's second year at BYU. IIRC, that team finished under.500, but picked up some program changing wins in the second half of that season, beating a ranked New Mexico in the pit is the one that sticks out in my mind.

Beating Oregon had that feel. A feel that, yeah, the road back is on sight.

SCP, i would recommend Dish. I changed from DTV and haven't regretted it. NFL Sunday ticket is a big miss, buy they have the Redzone channel, which almost fills that void.

SoCalPat
03-14-2013, 09:45 PM
I hate drawing comparisons, but this feels like Steve Cleveland's second year at BYU. IIRC, that team finished under.500, but picked up some program changing wins in the second half of that season, beating a ranked New Mexico in the pit is the one that sticks out in my mind.

Beating Oregon had that feel. A feel that, yeah, the road back is on sight.

SCP, i would recommend Dish. I changed from DTV and haven't regretted it. NFL Sunday ticket is a big miss, buy they have the Redzone channel, which almost fills that void.

<sniff> ... but I love DirecTV!

I lived without The Mtn. for two years, but my work schedule allowed me to listen a lot of Mike Lageschulte in those two years. I didn't feel like I was missing a lot, and we didn't even have ESPN (although I had Versus and CBSSC). This is where the ESPN deal is really huge for us. But if we're without it after Year 2, I'll consider switching.

Rocker Ute
03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
I haven't been this happy about Utah basketball in YEARS. 2009 we got a great seed, but remember we had squandered an outright MWC regular season championship. Bogut's last year you left with a sick feeling that we underperformed. So yes, while those teams were way better than Utah today, it was a completely different feeling.

Not only that, but these guys are likeable guys. Dubois hits that insane shot, which I would argue equals Nicky J's winning shot to win the MWC tourney, and he doesn't jump around like a douche (edit: I am in no way saying Nick Jacobsen was a douche for celebrating - the game was over - I mean he didn't go celebrate his insane shot instead of making sure the OT happened), he gets back on D, laser focus.

But the thing that really stood out to me is the Utes defense in this game and their switching. It was like an art form out there, I haven't seen a team so awfully undermanned execute on defense like that since Majerus's very best teams.

But I'm with you Pat, Kodiak needs to prove he can recruit. His problem previously was a 'chicken and the egg' sort of thing where he wasn't going to get the good players unless he started winning, but he wasn't going to win unless he got good players. This little streak, particularly a win over Cal will have to go miles to some recruits on the fences right now. He can say, "Look what I can do with these guys and where we came from... just think of what we can do with you, and I'm the guy who knows how to get to the NBA. I've played there, I've coached there... I'm your man."

He has an entire different story to sell now.

I'm really happy for these guys. I haven't been this excited about a Utah basketball game in ages.

OrangeUte
03-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Great post so cal pat. I am absolutely on board with what this program is doing. K, Tommy Connor. This has have makings of a very special program.

Jeromy in SLC
03-14-2013, 09:50 PM

Considering this is truly Coach Krystko's first real team, I am liking what I see. First, this team didn't quit, and they had plenty of opportunity to. Looking back at all of the close losses, I think they were a player or two away. Against this conference, this team has played above its talent level. And that is a sign of a good staff. I am a happy man tonight!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

LA Ute
03-14-2013, 09:51 PM
Welcome home, SCP!

SoCalPat
03-14-2013, 09:53 PM
I haven't been this happy about Utah basketball in YEARS. 2009 we got a great seed, but remember we had squandered an outright MWC regular season championship. Bogut's last year you left with a sick feeling that we underperformed. So yes, while those teams were way better than Utah today, it was a completely different feeling.

Not only that, but these guys are likeable guys. Dubois hits that insane shot, which I would argue equals Nicky J's winning shot to win the MWC tourney, and he doesn't jump around like a douche (edit: I am in no way saying Nick Jacobsen was a douche for celebrating - the game was over - I mean he didn't go celebrate his insane shot instead of making sure the OT happened), he gets back on D, laser focus.

But the thing that really stood out to me is the Utes defense in this game and their switching. It was like an art form out there, I haven't seen a team so awfully undermanned execute on defense like that since Majerus's very best teams.

But I'm with you Pat, Kodiak needs to prove he can recruit. His problem previously was a 'chicken and the egg' sort of thing where he wasn't going to get the good players unless he started winning, but he wasn't going to win unless he got good players. This little streak, particularly a win over Cal will have to go miles to some recruits on the fences right now. He can say, "Look what I can do with these guys and where we came from... just think of what we can do with you, and I'm the guy who knows how to get to the NBA. I've played there, I've coached there... I'm your man."

He has an entire different story to sell now.

I'm really happy for these guys. I haven't been this excited about a Utah basketball game in ages.

Just as important, others will be saying the same thing. How long before we see someone saying nationally that nobody does better with less than Larry? And how good could his teams be if he had more than most teams? Someone will jump on that train.

Rocker Ute
03-14-2013, 09:55 PM
Just as important, others will be saying the same thing. How long before we see someone saying nationally that nobody does better with less than Larry? And how good could his teams be if he had more than most teams? Someone will jump on that train.

Yup. I was thinking today that if by some miracle we could win this game it would be huge for recruiting.

It is a good night to celebrate.

SeattleUte
03-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Tommy Connor deserves a shout. There are different types of assistant coaches. He is the associate head coach type. He's been very important.

I was sold watching them in Seattle this year, three feet away. Apart from the fact the team played its maybe most complete game of the season at least so far, and won on the road, they just had the look and feel of good Utah coaches.

LA Ute
03-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Tommy Connor deserves a shout. There are different types of assistant coaches. He is the associate head coach type. He's been very important.

I was sold watching them in Seattle this year, three feet away. Apart from the fact the team played its maybe most complete game of the season at least so far, and won on the road, they just had the look and feel of good Utah coaches.

When the time comes (which I hope is far off) when Coach Kodiak moves on, I hope Tommy gets a close look as the successor.

concerned
03-14-2013, 10:48 PM
:clap:

Great read. If you are on board then I feel even better. You are right about the importance of these four wins. Larry k made some classy comments after the game. I am more and more optimistic that he is our guy and know s what he is doing.

Dawminator
03-15-2013, 12:27 AM

To your point Pat, it is already kind of happening. There is an insider article on ESPN after last nights game and then this article tonight:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/79409/utah-auditioning-for-role-of-cinderella

hardcoreUTE
03-15-2013, 02:19 AM
When the time comes (which I hope is far off) when Coach Kodiak moves on, I hope Tommy gets a close look as the successor.

Some other teams might be eyeing him for HC positions before then.

mpfunk
03-15-2013, 07:40 AM
I'm very happy with these wins, it is a sign that the program is moving in the right direction.

I stand by my wait and see approach. When we are in the NCAA tournament with a team entirely recruited by Larry K, I will join the bandwagon.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ute Dawg
03-15-2013, 08:34 AM
<sniff> ... but I love DirecTV!

I lived without The Mtn. for two years, but my work schedule allowed me to listen a lot of Mike Lageschulte in those two years. I didn't feel like I was missing a lot, and we didn't even have ESPN (although I had Versus and CBSSC). This is where the ESPN deal is really huge for us. But if we're without it after Year 2, I'll consider switching.

I had a hard time switching from DirectTV since I had been with them for over 10 years but after getting used to the new format of DISH, I have loved it. I thought I would regret the move but I have probably been more pleased with Dish than I was with DirectTV.

U-Ute
03-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Welcome aboard. I've been on this bandwagon since the middle of last season. They shared the ball well, played hard nosed D, and took good shots. They were just not talented and couldn't hit a shot to save their lives. Recruiting was, and still is, the biggest question mark. But winning makes recruiting easier.

SoCalPat
03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Welcome aboard. I've been on this bandwagon since the middle of last season. They shared the ball well, played hard nosed D, and took good shots. They were just not talented and couldn't hit a shot to save their lives. Recruiting was, and still is, the biggest question mark. But winning makes recruiting easier.

I more than get that mindset. I've had little to say about Larry's Xs and Os. But I needed something to get the bad taste out of my mouth with regard to the departures. It seemed like the plan last year was change for change's sake, to appease the fan base by going 180 degrees from where we were when we fired Jimmy. And still, I wouldn't regret having guys like O'Brien and Glover on the team today.

That said, I'm moving past looking back and am more about looking forward. I'm beyond excited for tonight's game. And as far as Larry's goodwill tank is concerned, he's taken a mighty step forward as far as I'm concerned. We had to generate passion within and outside the program again. The fans we're reportedly drawing in Vegas backs this up. I'm hopeful we can continue it into next year, especially in the non-conference season. We're far from a finished product, but I'm excited about the journey. That's a tough mindset to adopt when you're below the ground floor, but we're clearly above that now.

Jarid in Cedar
03-15-2013, 10:57 AM
I have been on the bandwagon since last year and it is simply because he has proven that he can do more with less. He still needs to prove that he can gather "more" and that he can do "more with more" if we are to get the promise land. But we needed a guy like Larry to get us out of the wilderness. Phil Jackson doesn't exist if not for the work of Doug Collins.

Coach Krysko may or may not be the long term answer to bringing us back to the prominence that we feel our program deserves, but he is ABSOLUTELY the right guy to get us back on the road. I hope for all of the hard work that he has put in that he is "the guy" just so that he can enjoy the fruits of that labor.

U-Ute
03-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Fair enough. The house cleaning was definitely an eyebrow raiser and a bit of a gamble on K's part. You better not do that unless you can bring in guys and make the team better. I think we can all agree that his gamble seems to have paid off.

On the fan support, it certainly sounds on the TV that we got a lot of fans down there. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight. I don't know anyone who changed their plans for tonight, but with the late start on a friday, I wouldn't be surprised I there were a lot of last minute plans made.

Go Utes!

Jarid in Cedar
03-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Fair enough. The house cleaning was definitely an eyebrow raiser and a bit of a gamble on K's part. You better not do that unless you can bring in guys and make the team better. I think we can all agree that his gamble seems to have paid off.

On the fan support, it certainly sounds on the TV that we got a lot of fans down there. It will be interesting to see what happens tonight. I don't know anyone who changed their plans for tonight, but with the late start on a friday, I wouldn't be surprised I there were a lot of last minute plans made.

Go Utes!

I am on call tonight, but if we win, I will be finding a substitute for tomorrow ASAP!

LA Ute
03-15-2013, 11:07 AM
I think one intangible of the wins in the PAC-12 tourney is the experience for the young guys. It's great for Jordan Loveridge, in the middle of a tournament while his team is advancing, to get comfortable being in a post-game presser, facing questions from several reporters while a camera is running. You can't teach that in practice.

SavaUte
03-15-2013, 11:11 AM
I think the best part is this is creating the proper culture. Kodiak has a system that requires a lot of hard work and the guys are seeing it pay off. The ones that stay will continue this culture with the new class of recruits. Its just builds on itself from there. Cultures are self-perpetuating like that

SeattleUte
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
I think one intangible of the wins in the PAC-12 tourney is the experience for the young guys. It's great for Jordan Loveridge, in the middle of a tournament while his team is advancing, to get comfortable being in a post-game presser, facing questions from several reporters while a camera is running. You can't teach that in practice.

Last night Jordan Loveridge became a legitimate Pac 12 star. Watch what happens from now on. He won't be ignored any longer. A true freshman playing a game like that. 20 points and 8 rebounds against maybe the best team in the conference the past 5 weeks, on a neutral court. DuBois hit the monster three and some otheer big ones but what about the two in a row by Loverage as we were starting to hear the Utes' death rattle. Then 10 points in the 20 point overtime. Loveridge is our marquis player, our Van Horn of the future.

SavaUte
03-15-2013, 11:40 AM
I know this won't be popular, but Loveridge frustrates me to death on offense. He isn't a guy that can really create his own shot, but time and time again he would force shots when the game was on the line. I think it was the first play of OT last night he had the ball at the point and waved Dean off. At that point there was no question he was going to drive and throw something up. He did just that, luckily Washburn was there to scoop up the rebound and put it back in.

All that said, he comes up big at all the right times. I love the guy, but I think he has a long way to go learning to play in the offense.

Rocker Ute
03-15-2013, 11:49 AM

I've heard a lot from some first hand sources on this subject, and I'll just say that it was quite apparent the new coaching staff believed that this needed to happen and a new culture needed to be instilled. With only a couple of exceptions they were not particularly sad to see any of the players go.

One interesting note, Dubois mentioned last night in an interview about the shot was that he was in a similar situation earlier in the season and didn't follow through on his shot and missed, but that this time he was determined that if he got in another situation like that he would make sure to follow through and this time it hit. Something tells me that a coach on the staff wasn't satisfied with 'ball didn't go in the hoop' as an explanation and helped coach Dubois through that. I love the workman like attitude this team has. With that culture and the right players these teams could go far.

mpfunk
03-15-2013, 12:11 PM
I've heard a lot from some first hand sources on this subject, and I'll just say that it was quite apparent to the new coaching staff believed that this needed to happen and a new culture needed to be instilled. With only a couple of exceptions they were not particularly sad to see any of the players go.

One interesting note, Dubois mentioned last night in an interview about the shot was that he was in a similar situation earlier in the season and didn't follow through on his shot and missed, but that this time he was determined that if he got in another situation like that he would make sure to follow through and this time it hit. Something tells me that a coach on the staff wasn't satisfied with 'ball didn't go in the hoop' as an explanation and helped coach Dubois through that. I love the workman like attitude this team has. With that culture and the right players these teams could go far.

I seriously think there should be little worry about any of the players that left. I never really criticized Larry K for those decisions.

Will Clyburn was a really good player, but when he is asking to redshirt the year before his senior season after proving that he can play as a junior, good riddance. Tying up a roster spot for an extra season for that was ridiculous.

JJ O'Brien this is a guy that looks like a loss, but he was working against Boylen recruiting him away from Utah. However, it isn't like he is tearing it up at SDSU. 27 minutes per game, but only averaging 7.2 ppg and 4.7 rpg. He is a poor 3 point shooter and poor FT shooter. I think we can live with losing a mid-range jump shooter, especially when it became pretty clear that he was likely going to be a headache due to his Boylen loyalty.

George Matthews. Sure he was hyped, but we all saw the guy play. He is no loss.

Kuppets, DiMaria, and Guiot. None of these guys were DI players, I'm not sure how in the hell they even ended up at Utah.

Shawn Glover. This guy may actually have been a loss.

Rocker Ute
03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Shawn Glover. This guy may actually have been a loss.

I'm not even really sold on that. He has done well against a competition level that made Bachynski look like a star. Could he contribute here? Sure. Would he be a star? Don't know, but don't think so.

mpfunk
03-15-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm not even really sold on that. He has done well against a competition level that made Bachynski look like a star. Could he contribute here? Sure. Would he be a star? Don't know, but don't think so.

I agree which is why I said may have been a loss. I'm not going to lose really any sleep over him either.

SavaUte
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
I think in the next couple years everyone will be eating their words with about Bach sucking. It was evident at the first of the year he would disappear once conference time rolled around (I could dig up my old ufn post where I say as much). He has the physical tools - if he was the work ethic, and I think he does, he'll be a star

Jarid in Cedar
03-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I think in the next couple years everyone will be eating their words with about Bach sucking. It was evident at the first of the year he would disappear once conference time rolled around (I could dig up my old ufn post where I say as much). He has the physical tools - if he was the work ethic, and I think he does, he'll be a star

He still has 2 years to prove his mettle. I think he will be a contributor. I think he has it all, except the mental aspect(which is what was said about Washburn his first 2 1/2 seasons).

Katy Lied
03-15-2013, 12:50 PM
You guys can all eat dirt. I've been saying since last Fall that K was really good and no one agreed except SU, who only did it wishfully. Kristko is money and you don't even know it.

UtahsMrSports
03-15-2013, 01:08 PM

I agree completely with this.

Jarid in Cedar
03-15-2013, 01:13 PM
You guys can all eat dirt. I've been saying since last Fall that K was really good and no one agreed except SU, who only did it wishfully. Kristko is money and you don't even know it.

Break out the sniper!

Rocker Ute
03-15-2013, 01:19 PM

I should clarify, I don't think Bachynski sucks, far from it (in fact I said at the time and still maintain that he is one of the players I am most excited about - huge upside potential with him in the right hands), but he has a lot of development to do. He shined early because he was playing against poor competition, when the good teams started rolling through they knew how to handle him. In the same, Glover has done well, but against inferior competition, so we can't really say that he would be a star here.

SavaUte
03-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I should clarify, I don't think Bachynski sucks, far from it (in fact I said at the time and still maintain that he is one of the players I am most excited about - huge upside potential with him in the right hands), but he has a lot of development to do. He shined early because he was playing against poor competition, when the good teams started rolling through they knew how to handle him. In the same, Glover has done well, but against inferior competition, so we can't really say that he would be a star here.

I wasn't directing that right at you, but that seems to be the general feeling. Lots of people were saying they don't mind if he comes back next year, etc etc

LA Ute
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM

Excuse me? You're omitting me, identified early on as one of "Larry's Lapdogs."

San Diego Ute Fan
03-15-2013, 02:18 PM

"Larry's Lapdogs" is the name of my new band.

U-Ute
03-15-2013, 03:28 PM

I loved the club meetings the 3 of us had. There was that one time when Katy spiked your punch... and well I still have the photos.

SoCalPat
03-15-2013, 04:08 PM

He scored 18 and 17 in road games against Oklahoma and Arizona, respectively. At the same time, his production went up as the competition went down (four 20-plus point games in conference play as opposed to zero in the non-con). If Dubois can be a front-line player in this league after a career in the WCC, I think Glover's numbers at ORU (14.4 PPG, 5.0 RPG, 1.3 Blocks) would translate into a very productive player in the Pac-12.

Scratch
03-15-2013, 09:37 PM

Can those of us who thought the Krystko hire was great from the outset get a little love, too? I can only pat myself on the back so many times without pulling something.

UBlender
03-15-2013, 10:32 PM
No backsies on anything previously said in this thread.