PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Henderson

UtahsMrSports
03-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Watching him in the tourney now............... drives me nuts.

This is the anti-feel good hollywood movie story of the year! Good things happening to bad people who play the game the wrong way.

GO WISCONSIN!!!!!!!!!!!

Corvan
03-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Watching him in the tourney now............... drives me nuts. This is the anti-feel good hollywood movie story of the year! Good things happening to bad people who play the game the wrong way. GO WISCONSIN!!!!!!!!!!!"The love child of Demarcus Cousins and Jimmer Fredette." A total whack job that can score.

mpfunk
03-22-2013, 11:52 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/03/21/marshall-henderson-ncaa-tournament-ole-mis/2006679/

Marshall Henderson's favorite NBA players J.R. Smith and JaVale McGee

"[AAU basketball] got me into head bobbing and trash-talking kind of stuff. And my favorite players in the NBA all do that stuff, like J.R. Smith. People like that. JaVale McGee. I love those kinds of players. They can put a crowd in the arena, sell some tickets. … That's what it's about."

What the NCAA tournament is about to him.

"I'm trying to get paid here soon because I'm tired of doing all this stuff for free. And this is where you make your money, the NCAA tournament."

DrumNFeather
03-22-2013, 12:01 PM
1 for 13 so far today.

SeattleUte
03-22-2013, 12:20 PM
I don't get how Utah fans can not want Marshall Henderson to succeed. I don't blame him for transering, and I'm embarrassed about how his Utah coaches smeared him after he left. His departure was the death knell of Boylen's tenure at Utah. I cheer for Marshall Henderson.

DrumNFeather
03-22-2013, 12:27 PM
I don't get how Utah fans can not want Marshall Henderson to succeed. I don't blame him for transering, and I'm embarrassed about how his Utah coaches smeared him after he left. His departure was the death knell of Boylen's tenure at Utah. I cheer for Marshall Henderson.

I actually do cheer for Marshall. I'm glad that he was able to rebound after all of his problems here, and then things not working out for him at Texas Tech and going to a JC. He's also wildly entertaining.

U-Ute
03-22-2013, 12:32 PM

You have that backwards. His arrival was the death knell of Boylen's tenure. Marshall was a terror on his high school team that his own dad coached. Boylen thought he could provide some tough love to Marshall and be a father figure, but Marshall ran him over, and it tore the team apart. That situation was one of the primary reasons Brown lost respect for Boylen and transferred.

That being said, I have no ill will for Marshall. I really hope that he can reign in his behavior a bit, and yet still keep that energy he brings to the court. I love his enthusiasm on the court.

Flystripper
03-22-2013, 12:33 PM

I want him to win. I think he is hilarious. I would hate him if he was my teammate, or if he was on my team though. He takes way too may bad bad shots for a guy that shoots below 40%.

SeattleUte
03-22-2013, 12:38 PM
You have that backwards. His arrival was the death knell of Boylen's tenure. Marshall was a terror on his high school team that his own dad coached. Boylen thought he could provide some tough love to Marshall and be a father figure, but Marshall ran him over, and it tore the team apart. That situation was one of the primary reasons Brown lost respect for Boylen and transferred.

That being said, I have no ill will for Marshall. I really hope that he can reign in his behavior a bit, and yet still keep that energy he brings to the court. I love his enthusiasm on the court.

My point is, Boylen hitched his star to Marshall Henderson, much like Majerus did to Keith Van Horn early on at Utah. Having done that, it had to work. When Henderson left, what was left of the program? He was being groomed to be our All-American. Then all of a sudden Boylen is scrounging for Jucos.

U-Ute
03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
My point is, Boylen hitched his star to Marshall Henderson, much like Majerus did to Keith Van Horn early on at Utah. Having done that, it had to work. When Henderson left, what was left of the program? He was being groomed to be our All-American. Then all of a sudden Boylen is scrounging for Jucos.

True. My point being is that Boylen should've seen the train wreck coming by looking at Henderson's high school career.

But, I guess it was a gamble that didn't pay off for Boylen. Obviously Henderson has talent.

SeattleUte
03-22-2013, 12:51 PM
True. My point being is that Boylen should've seen the train wreck coming by looking at Henderson's high school career.

But, I guess it was a gamble that didn't pay off for Boylen. Obviously Henderson has talent.

I remeber you wrote he will either be a big star or flame out. That was a good call.

U-Ute
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
I remeber you wrote he will either be a big star or flame out. That was a good call.

In some respects, he did both. LOL

It's just sad that the Utah basketball program was the collateral damage to his flame out.

Gillespie didn't need any help in Lubbock.

FountainOfUte
03-22-2013, 01:06 PM
I've always wondered what would have happened if Boylen could have reined in Marshall. Yeah, he was a punk ass frosh, but that's not unheard of in college athletics -- particularly in the money sports. But most times, kids like this are kept in check by the coaches and the upperclassmen on his team. Why didn't that happen? How much if it is that he's a psycho and how much of it is that Boylen AND Brown didn't have the balls to keep him in check as they should have. I have no idea. But under the right circumstances, I would have liked to have seen MH continue and finish his career at the U.

As it is, I think he may be headed for a waterfall. He's had basketball as his stage for the last 10 years of his life. He's probably not an NBA talent, but could make some money in Europe if he's smart -- which I don't think he is. Once you get to the pros, it's your job and no one is going to kiss your ass and coddle you unless you have out-of-this-world talent (like Rodman) which he doesn't have. His stage -- his crutch -- is about to be taken away. Is he prepared to handle it?

UtahsMrSports
03-22-2013, 01:08 PM
I am surprised that there is well wishes for him. He is a clown who plays the wrong way and is somehow succeeding. He is intriguing; ill admit that. But I am going to actively cheer against him. He is a bad guy and a bad example for the up and coming generation.

SeattleUte
03-22-2013, 01:18 PM
I've always wondered what would have happened if Boylen could have reined in Marshall. Yeah, he was a punk ass frosh, but that's not unheard of in college athletics -- particularly in the money sports. But most times, kids like this are kept in check by the coaches and the upperclassmen on his team. Why didn't that happen? How much if it is that he's a psycho and how much of it is that Boylen AND Brown didn't have the balls to keep him in check as they should have. I have no idea. But under the right circumstances, I would have liked to have seen MH continue and finish his career at the U.

As it is, I think he may be headed for a waterfall. He's had basketball as his stage for the last 10 years of his life. He's probably not an NBA talent, but could make some money in Europe if he's smart -- which I don't think he is. Once you get to the pros, it's your job and no one is going to kiss your ass and coddle you unless you have out-of-this-world talent (like Rodman) which he doesn't have. His stage -- his crutch -- is about to be taken away. Is he prepared to handle it?

He is good enough to make a lot of money playing basketball. The NBA isn't the only place this is available. Also, he does not appear to be a stupid person to me.

SeattleUte
03-22-2013, 01:21 PM
I am surprised that there is well wishes for him. He is a clown who plays the wrong way and is somehow succeeding. He is intriguing; ill admit that. But I am going to actively cheer against him. He is a bad guy and a bad example for the up and coming generation.

Come on, Church Lady. It's a game, he's young, he's having fun, he's a winner. I like him a lot better than those entitled, arrogant punks who shut down Columbia for a week in 1968.

chrisrenrut
03-22-2013, 01:26 PM

He has been a dick to the entire SEC, and the pretentious talking heads in the media. I like that about him, and it's enough to keep me rooting for him to stay in the spotlight a while longer. However, I'm glad he did not spend his full 4 years at Utah. I'm not sure he could have made 2010 to 2012 any worse, but I think we would be worse off in 2012-2013 with him around.

SeattleUte
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM
He has been a dick to the entire SEC, and the pretentious talking heads in the media. I like that about him, and it's enough to keep me rooting for him to stay in the spotlight a while longer. However, I'm glad he did not spend his full 4 years at Utah. I'm not sure he could have made 2010 to 2012 any worse, but I think we would be worse of in 2012-2013 with him around.

As U-Ute noted, he symbolized everything that was wrong with Jim Boylen at Utah, including in ironic ways.

Solon
03-22-2013, 01:45 PM

I'm sure he has his 4-year degree to fall back on.

The multiple-transfer athlete is a huge embarrassment to the vestiges of the ideal of the "student-athlete". (Exhibit A: Cam Newton)
Transferring almost always costs a student credits towards a degree.

LA Ute
03-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Come on, Church Lady. It's a game, he's young, he's having fun, he's a winner. I like him a lot better than those entitled, arrogant punks who shut down Columbia for a week in 1968.

Hey! I thought I was Church Lady!

Jeff Lebowski
03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
He's like a really nasty train wreck. I can't take my eyes off of him.

U-Ute
03-22-2013, 03:11 PM

If I wished ill will on every dumb ass, punk, 20 year old, I'd be spending a lot of time generating negative energy.

Corvan
03-22-2013, 03:14 PM
He is good enough to make a lot of money playing basketball. The NBA isn't the only place this is available. Also, he does not appear to be a stupid person to me.

To your last statement I agree. He's definitely a self-aggrandizing, immature punk but I definitely wouldn't call him stupid. To you first I think you have hit the nail on the head also. Henderson averaged around 38% FG shooting this year and Miss and was about the same at Utah. He's a career 33% 3pt shooter. Neither of these percentages are going to have many GMs other than the Bobcats trading up to get you. Where I think Henderson's fatal flaw is as far as the NBA goes is the same as it's always been with Jimmer. They're both 6'2" guards, neither of which is a point guard. What is the life expectancy of a 6'2" guard in the NBA? Pretty short.

I think if Henderson is going to make money playing basketball he probably should order up Rosetta Stone and learn French, German or Italian because his place to play ball is in Europe.

Flystripper
03-22-2013, 10:06 PM
To your last statement I agree. He's definitely a self-aggrandizing, immature punk but I definitely wouldn't call him stupid. To you first I think you have hit the nail on the head also. Henderson averaged around 38% FG shooting this year and Miss and was about the same at Utah. He's a career 33% 3pt shooter. Neither of these percentages are going to have many GMs other than the Bobcats trading up to get you. Where I think Henderson's fatal flaw is as far as the NBA goes is the same as it's always been with Jimmer. They're both 6'2" guards, neither of which is a point guard. What is the life expectancy of a 6'2" guard in the NBA? Pretty short.

I think if Henderson is going to make money playing basketball he probably should order up Rosetta Stone and learn French, German or Italian because his place to play ball is in Europe.

At least Jimmer shot a good percentage in College

GarthUte
03-22-2013, 10:19 PM
At least Jimmer shot a good percentage in College

For two point FGs, he was better than Henderson. They're about the same from behind the 3 pt. line.

Flystripper
03-22-2013, 11:07 PM
For two point FGs, he was better than Henderson. They're about the same from behind the 3 pt. line.

?? Jimmer was a career 39% 3pt shooter Hendersen is about 33% if Corvan is correct. That is quite a difference

GarthUte
03-22-2013, 11:13 PM
?? Jimmer was a career 39% 3pt shooter Hendersen is about 33% if Corvan is correct. That is quite a difference

For some reason, I thought I had read somewhere that Jimmer was closer to 35% from 3 pt. I stand corrected.

Rocker Ute
03-23-2013, 08:56 AM
I consider myself a Marshall well-wisher, in that I don't wish him any particular harm. I can't imagine playing on a team with a guy jacking up that many shots with that FG% he holds. It is also clear that he needs to be on a team where a coach is willing to let him do whatever he wants. I wouldn't believe for a second that he has cleaned himself up by any stretch of the imagination off court, he is likely just with a coach and university that is willing to look the other way.

But when you live and die by Marshall Henderson you are likely gonna die. When he was cold the first half things were not looking so great for Ole Miss. A team that can introduce a little fatigue into his game will beat him.

But not even considering Henderson's very significant off the court problems, I can't see having on a team that you are doing a long-term build with, and so I don't miss him, nor do I see a place for him in the program. I attended a number of practices when Boylen was coach, and I noted a lot of players would punk and mess with Henderson. At the time, not being aware of what was going on with him, and consider the players who were doing it, I thought those players doing the 'punking' were the problems. In retrospect, I wonder if he was really the source of the problem and I was just seeing the end results.

I however don't see him doing much in the NBA. There have been better shooters who have flamed out like Adam Morrison and Jimmer than him.

Slim
03-23-2013, 09:16 AM
I wouldn't believe for a second that he has cleaned himself up by any stretch of the imagination off court, he is likely just with a coach and university that is willing to look the other way.

But when you live and die by Marshall Henderson you are likely gonna die. When he was cold the first half things were not looking so great for Ole Miss. A team that can introduce a little fatigue into his game will beat him.

But not even considering Henderson's very significant off the court problems, I can't see having on a team that you are doing a long-term build with, and so I don't miss him, nor do I see a place for him in the program.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/this-is-how-you-celebrate-making-the-ncaa-tournament

I don't think the pong he's talking about has paddles.

I hope the guy straightens things out, but I don't think it has happened yet.

Two Utes
03-24-2013, 05:02 PM
For some reason, I thought I had read somewhere that Jimmer was closer to 35% from 3 pt. I stand corrected.

Marshall Henderson went 6-21 in the last game. I have son who is a basketball player. I know exactly what he would say: "give me 21 shots a game and I would make more than 6 every single time." Henderson is an overrated character.

OrangeUte
03-24-2013, 08:31 PM
Marshall Henderson went 6-21 in the last game. I have son who is a basketball player. I know exactly what he would say: "give me 21 shots a game and I would make more than 6 every single time." Henderson is an overrated character.

Henderson was classy in defeat. He's got personality - it's nice to see that it extends to his sportsmanship.

DU Ute
03-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Some of these comments make me wonder if Marshall is on your lawn right now.

U-Ute
03-25-2013, 02:02 PM
Some of these comments make me wonder if Marshall is on your lawn right now.

Face up, or face down?

U-Ute
03-26-2013, 12:54 PM
Marshall makes his NCAA exit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lcjVQC0hDaU