PDA

View Full Version : When you say "... next [insert day of the week]," what do you mean?

scottie
03-22-2013, 11:49 AM
For example: We're going to Las Vegas next Saturday... Do you mean this coming Saturday? or the Saturday after the upcoming one?

LA Ute
03-22-2013, 12:18 PM
For example: We're going to Las Vegas next Saturday... Do you mean this coming Saturday? or the Saturday after the upcoming one?

My answer was "Depends." I've never thought about this, but if the day/date in question is in the current week, I'll usually say "this Friday," or something like that. If it is in the upcoming week, I'll usually say "next Friday" or "a week from this Friday." But since today is Friday, if were talking about Monday (3 days from now) I'd simply say "Monday," or "this coming Monday."

I am glad we are finally exploring the important questions on this board. ;)

GarthUte
03-22-2013, 06:06 PM

I do everything I can to stay away from Vegas, so I'd never say anything like that. But to answer your question, if I say 'next' I don't mean the current week, but the next week. For instance, I'm getting a haircut on Saturday. Because tomorrow is the Saturday of the current week, I mean tomorrow. If I was getting a haircut next Saturday, it would mean that I'm getting a haircut on the Saturday of next week.