PDA

View Full Version : brian blechen?

crazyute
02-19-2013, 11:46 AM
i know there has been a rumor of him moving back to linebacker, especially with carter coming in to play the SS spot.

has this been confirmed at all? it seems his athleticism and speed would be more apparent at linebacker rather than the secondary.

Hockeybeard
02-19-2013, 12:14 PM
In reality, it isn't his speed or athleticism that is holding him back from performing at SS, it is his propensity to gamble on making the big play. To your question on whether the rumor is correct or not, I don't know if we will know for sure until a week or so into fall camp. Tevin Carter is a summer enrollee, and so unless they go with a combination of Morris/Edwards, Rowe, Chappuis, etc. right out of the gate in Spring, we won't know until Carter either does or does not pickup the defense (I'm distinctly remembering the McGill situation here).

Jeromy in SLC
02-19-2013, 12:58 PM
My take is Brian Blechen with his head screwed on is an asset playing at either position. Brian Blechen freelancing from either position is a problem. His play in 2010 and the second half of 2011 was more than adequate. Last year was a hot mess, and I hope he improves (at whatever position). I like the thought of him at linebacker, as it would be easier to keep him from being isolated/overmatched in pass coverage, if he can play his assignments within the framework of the defense.

Utah
02-19-2013, 02:08 PM
I agree with Jeromy.

I think we will see a lot of Blechen at the "LB" spot on the field. Depending on the matchups will determine whether or not we take a LB out for another S, or visa versa.

I woudln't look at Blechen as a LB'er, kind of like how Reilly doesn't really have a position either. They are both playmakers. Sometimes Blechen will be up with an extra safety, sometimes he will be back with an extra LB'er.

Same Reilly. Sometimes he is on the line, sometimes lined up at LB'er.

big z
02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
My take is Brian Blechen with his head screwed on is an asset playing at either position. Brian Blechen freelancing from either position is a problem. His play in 2010 and the second half of 2011 was more than adequate. Last year was a hot mess, and I hope he improves (at whatever position). I like the thought of him at linebacker, as it would be easier to keep him from being isolated/overmatched in pass coverage, if he can play his assignments within the framework of the defense.

I think he's better off at LB, as he's put on size he's lot the quickness we saw as a freshman. I can only think of one INT last year, plus he seems like he'd rather hit someone than go for the ball.

LA Ute
02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
KW says that if the incoming DBs work out Blechen will play LB. I too hope that he learns to put a higher priority on making a great play than on getting a great hit.

big z
02-19-2013, 04:30 PM
KW says that if the incoming DBs work out Blechen will play LB. I too hope that he learns to put a higher priority on making a great play than on getting a great hit.

I hope he learns to make the team a higher priority than he does the reefer

Utah
02-19-2013, 05:11 PM
I think a lot of the problems were that our LB'ers were young, so they were thinking too much and the defense as a whole tried to become a bunch of heroes, i.e., they didn't do their job and everybody went for the big play.

I really think our LB'ers will be a lot better this fall. We have more talented LB'ers than we have ever had. They are bigger, faster and stronger. We just need the mental side to catch up.

big z
02-19-2013, 05:26 PM
I think a lot of the problems were that our LB'ers were young, so they were thinking too much and the defense as a whole tried to become a bunch of heroes, i.e., they didn't do their job and everybody went for the big play.

I really think our LB'ers will be a lot better this fall. We have more talented LB'ers than we have ever had. They are bigger, faster and stronger. We just need the mental side to catch up.

Just curious as to why you'd say they are more talented? Just more experience coming from playing another year in the PAC? I think we're lacking in the LB department, and we only signed 1 LB (Uaea Masina) in this years class.

Utah
02-19-2013, 10:18 PM
Just curious as to why you'd say they are more talented? Just more experience coming from playing another year in the PAC? I think we're lacking in the LB department, and we only signed 1 LB (Uaea Masina) in this years class.

Reilly was heavily recruited, as was Fehoko. Hooker was a three star wasn't he?

Weren't our starting LB'ers in our first year all walk-ons?

I guess the first day they stepped onto campus our current linebackers had more talent that what we used to have.