PDA

View Full Version : The Official NBA Thread

FN Phat
04-03-2013, 06:48 PM
Playoffs are approaching and jockeying for position is ongoing. I expect more discussions in the upcoming weeks.

Carmelo dropped 50 on the Heat last night with zero attempts from the block. Following last nights performance on pace to have back-to-back 50 nights against the Hawks. He has 32 on 13-18 with 4:00 left in the third.

FN Phat
04-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Melo ends up with 40 on 17-27 from the field and 5-6 on FT. 90 points in 2 games.

Applejack
04-03-2013, 08:20 PM
I love the end of the NBA season because of the players that come out of nowhere to post crazy stats. How about Tobias Harris who was warming the bench in Milwaukee and now averaging 17 and 9 over the last ten games with the Magic. Throw in over a block and a steal per game and it looks like the Magic got a steal.

Scorcho
04-28-2013, 09:03 PM
nice first half for Miller (11 points) and Bogut (12 points),

WhiskyPriest
06-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Anybody watching game 3 right now? I want the Spurs to win this series badly.

WhiskyPriest
06-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Spurs are playing great at the moment. They need to keep the Turnovers down though. The Heat live off of turnovers.

WhiskyPriest
06-11-2013, 08:17 PM
Michael Wilbon just reminded me that this is David Stern's last season. I approve of this message.

WhiskyPriest
06-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Wow... Gary Neal is on fire!!! Spurs up big.

Jarid in Cedar
06-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Can the Spurs win two in a row? If they can...series over

SoCalPat
06-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Can the Spurs win two in a row? If they can...series over

The Heat won't lose three straight. I suspect they'll steal one in San Antonio much like the Spurs stole Game 1 in Miami.

Also, only four teams in the history of the 2-3-2 format have won all of the home middle games (Detroit 2004, Miami 2006, 2012). Houston in 1995 swept Orlando and didn't play Game 5. I think Miami is too good to lose three straight.

Jarid in Cedar
06-11-2013, 11:15 PM
The Heat won't lose three straight. I suspect they'll steal one in San Antonio much like the Spurs stole Game 1 in Miami.

Also, only four teams in the history of the 2-3-2 format have won all of the home middle games (Detroit 2004, Miami 2006, 2012). Houston in 1995 swept Orlando and didn't play Game 5. I think Miami is too good to lose three straight.

As are the Spurs. That its why I think if they win game 4, Miami won't beat them 3 straight. Spurs in 6. If the Heat win game 4, it will go 7, and hard to say who pulls it out. Pops and the Spurs are three one team that I think can win a game 7 on the road.

WhiskyPriest
06-12-2013, 07:44 AM
Apparently Tony Parker needs an MRI on his Hamstring today. I really hope this is a form of smokescreen coming from Popovich. The Spurs will be in a lot of trouble if they need Manu to become the primary initiator on the offensive end. He has been playing out of control and erratic this series.

WhiskyPriest
06-12-2013, 07:50 AM
I can see this series ending in 5,6,7 for either team, although 5 for the Heat is a bit out of reach at this point. This series feels unpredictable to me. I would have never guessed there would be back to back blowouts, and I would have never guessed that Danny Green would become the next Reggie Miller.

Jarid in Cedar
06-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Apparently Tony Parker needs an MRI on his Hamstring today. I really hope this is a form of smokescreen coming from Popovich. The Spurs will be in a lot of trouble if they need Manu to become the primary initiator on the offensive end. He has been playing out of control and erratic this series.

That could be a series killer if he is hurt bad enough to limit his penetration. I how he is ok. With him health, this series had the chance to be an all time great one.

WhiskyPriest
06-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Last night was a rough night. I think the Spurs are officially in a must-win situation for game five. I just can't envision them beating Miami twice on Miami's homecourt.

Jarid in Cedar
06-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Hope they turn it around tomorrow. I want to see 7 games. Without a Spurs win, that is highly unlikely.

WhiskyPriest
06-15-2013, 09:14 AM
The Spurs are in a must-win situation tomorrow night, but I think they will be able to beat the Heat.

By the way, Dwayne Wade played fantastic in game 4. He made a few moves that looked like vintage D-Wade. If Wade plays like that again in game 5 this series might only go six games.

Jarid in Cedar
06-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Spurs off to a quick start giving then a 9 point halftime lead

Scorcho
11-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Andre Miller should overtake Rod Strickland for 9th place on the NBA all-time assists leader sometime this month.

Gary Payton's sits in 8th place but it would take a couple more seasons to catch him.

hostile
12-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Wonder what the 13-letter word was?
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10112168/jason-kidd-brooklyn-nets-ranted-assistant-lawrence-frank-loss

Solon
12-10-2013, 06:13 PM
Wonder what the 13-letter word was?
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/10112168/jason-kidd-brooklyn-nets-ranted-assistant-lawrence-frank-loss

Present participle (-ing ending) of a compound word involving a parent and an action. That's my guess.

LA Ute
12-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Brad Stevens is an amazing coach and it's killing the Boston Celtics (http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2013/12/12/brad-stevens-is-an-amazing-coach-and-its-killing-the-boston-celtics/3997349/)

hostile
12-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Kobe out for 6 weeks w/ a fractured tibia.

Applejack
12-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Maybe they should start tanking for Wiggins.

You betcha. Add the Lakers to the list of contenders. Someone might need to suggest that Trey Burke "fracture a tibia" if the Jazz want to make this season worthwhile.

Scorcho
04-25-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm going to make a not so bold prediction.

With the insane number of underclassman opting for the NBA this year, I'll predict "the Jimmer" has already seen his last minutes as an NBA Player.

Nothing wrong with making some Euro's, they spend as easily as US Dollars.

Applejack
06-09-2014, 09:37 AM
I watched only 1 regular season game this year, but I've watched a dozen or so playoff games. They have been very entertaining. Last night's game 2 was great from start to finish. LeBron vs a completely better team is fascinating. I hope he gets the three-peat.

The NBA is in great shape right now - I don't understand people that say the NBA is broken. It is as entertaining as it has ever been.

The Spurs are amazing to watch on offense and Lebron is making it clear that it's him and Jordan for G.O.A.T. I really love this series.

Applejack
06-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Why is it so hard to believe that Jabari Parker could learn to play good defense? He has the physical tools, right? Rick the Pick used to say that anyone could learn to defend.

His lateral athleticism is not that great. He can be an adequate defender one day, but he'll never be a rim protecting big man. Wiggins, on the other hand, could step in and be a great NBA defender fairly quickly and eventually become an elite defender.

hostile
09-07-2014, 09:29 PM
So now the Atlanta Hawks (or a part thereof) are for sale.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11481937/atlanta-hawks-owner-bruce-levenson-selling-team

Applejack
09-08-2014, 08:06 AM
So now the Atlanta Hawks (or a part thereof) are for sale.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11481937/atlanta-hawks-owner-bruce-levenson-selling-team

Racist owners are making a lot of money these days by selling their franchises.

Rocker Ute
05-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Bogut about to tip off.

Is Bogut the greatest Australian basketball player of all time?

If so, the greatest Australian and the greatest Austrian both played for Utah.

He may be the greatest Aussie player of all time, but Luc Longley holds the title for best Aussie basketball player hair of all time and it isn't even close.

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/Cards/Basketball/64889/64889-54Fr.jpg

SoCalPat
05-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Bogut about to tip off.

Is Bogut the greatest Australian basketball player of all time?

If so, the greatest Australian and the greatest Austrian both played for Utah.

Kyrie Irving was born in Melbourne, has an Australian mother (who is deceased) and carries dual citizenship. But he moved to the U.S. when he was 2.

Bogut was also born in Melbourne, but his parents are both Croatian immigrants.

Both of Longley's parents are Australian.

It's a hair-splitting argument.

Mormon Red Death
06-15-2015, 04:37 AM
What a series this is turning out to be. I was pulling for Bogut and the Warriors at first, but now that Kerr has benched Bogues, I'm pulling for Cleveland as punishment. I'm also tired of people pretending that Kerr invented small ball.
He's hurt

UtahsMrSports
06-15-2015, 07:43 AM
What a series this is turning out to be. I was pulling for Bogut and the Warriors at first, but now that Kerr has benched Bogues, I'm pulling for Cleveland as punishment. I'm also tired of people pretending that Kerr invented small ball.

This is how I have been. Though I have been an outspoken critic of LeBron, what he is doing right now is simply incredible. Ive seen most finals since 1994, and can't recall a performance that matches this year's LeBron. Hakeem in 94, MJ and Duncan in pick your favorite year, Dwayne Wade from the free throw line in 06, Shaq in the early 2000s were all incredible but none to me have been as good as 2015 LeBron. Heck, Id even put him above Dick Bavetta in 98.

I have spent a fair amount of time in the last few days screaming at the basketball gods for not allowing us to see a series where both teams are healthy. If Love and Irving were healthy, this series would be even better. As it is, I think the Warriors end it tomorrow night. Cleveland just looks done. But Id love to be wrong.

Interesting discussion last night on ESPN radio. Assuming the Warriors win, does LeBron deserve consideration as MVP? Hes putting up a line of 37/12/9 while adding 1.2 steals and has been hands down the best player in this series, and as I said above, putting up one of the elite performances in NBA finals history. To be fair, he also has yet to shoot 50% in any game in this series.

concerned
06-15-2015, 10:58 AM
I would vote for Lebron as MVP so far. What he is doing is superhuman. Plus, until last night Curry and Thompson had more downs than ups. Iguidola is their MVP so far.

But I suspect Lebron's post game comments last night will cost him a lot of votes if the Warriers win.

LA Ute
06-16-2015, 10:27 PM
So is Bogut the first Ute to win an NBA championship in the modern era? I think Arnie Ferrin might have been on a championship team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justaute
06-16-2015, 10:39 PM
No. Doleac has one with Miami Heat.

So is Bogut the first Ute to win an NBA championship in the modern era? I think Arnie Ferrin might have been on a championship team.

scottie
06-16-2015, 11:06 PM
No. Doleac has one with Orlando Magic.

He asked about the first to WIN one in the modern era.

justaute
06-17-2015, 12:29 AM
We all have opinions. I meant to write Miami Heat, not Orlando Magic.

Doleac's 2006 championship certainly isn't recent by any means, but comparing with that of Ferrin, it's in the "modern era".

He asked about the first to WIN one in the modern era.

LA Ute
06-17-2015, 05:52 AM
No. Doleac has one with Miami Heat.

Forgot about that one.

UtahsMrSports
06-17-2015, 07:16 AM
Im happy for Bogut. Wish he would have gotten more playing time, but thats how it goes.

UBlender
06-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Im happy for Bogut. Wish he would have gotten more playing time, but thats how it goes.

Yeah, but Bogut appeared to have a great attitude about it, understanding that it was a tactical move (which worked beautifully) and not performance-based. He was still a huge part of the team for the balance of the season and helped put them in position to win a ring with him on the bench.

mUUser
04-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Lakers-Jazz. That might be he worst National Anthem of all time.

NorthwestUteFan
04-13-2016, 11:01 PM
Kobe is going out with one of the greatest performances in NBA history.

Diehard Ute
04-14-2016, 12:06 AM
Kobe is going out with one of the greatest performances in NBA history.

Sorry, going 22/50, no sale.

chrisrenrut
04-14-2016, 11:32 AM

He is the first player to put up 50 shots in a game since they started tracking the stat in the early 80's. So he's got that record going for him, which is nice.

SoCalPat
04-14-2016, 12:34 PM

That's 44 percent, which is right in line with his overall career mark. Shooting 16 for 29 from 2 was actually above his career mark of 48 percent from 2.

This wasn't some meaningless January game. It was Kobe's last game, he and Shaq buried the hatchet for good and the atmosphere was electric -- and Kobe over-delivered. It took $1,000 minimum to get into the arena, and who could argue that it was anything but a bargain. In fact, the diehard Lakers fan I spoke with said this entire season was worth it if that's the kind of finale they were gonna get from Kobe.

I truly feel bad for sports and basketball fans who didn't enjoy Kobe's effort. They're a pitiful, sad bunch.

Diehard Ute
04-14-2016, 12:55 PM
That's 44 percent, which is right in line with his overall career mark. Shooting 16 for 29 from 2 was actually above his career mark of 48 percent from 2.

This wasn't some meaningless January game. It was Kobe's last game, he and Shaq buried the hatchet for good and the atmosphere was electric -- and Kobe over-delivered. It took $1,000 minimum to get into the arena, and who could argue that it was anything but a bargain. In fact, the diehard Lakers fan I spoke with said this entire season was worth it if that's the kind of finale they were gonna get from Kobe.

I truly feel bad for sports and basketball fans who didn't enjoy Kobe's effort. They're a pitiful, sad bunch.

Yes. It was the Kobe show. He took more shots than he's ever taken in a game. He scored, people loved it. It was a good spectacle.

But to call it one of the greatest games in NBA history? Come on.

SoCalPat
04-14-2016, 01:12 PM
Yes. It was the Kobe show. He took more shots than he's ever taken in a game. He scored, people loved it. It was a good spectacle.

But to call it one of the greatest games in NBA history? Come on.

I think it's one of the greatest moments in NBA history, and as far as the regular season goes, it's probably on top. It's the greatest sendoff by any athlete in any sport ever. But I haven't heard anyone try and put this up there with a spectacular playoff effort, or a thrilling game between two superior teams.

SoCalPat
04-14-2016, 01:13 PM
I didn't watch it, but I know the Jazz had draft incentive to lose. Any sense that the Jazz tanked a bit? I mean, they definitely should have tanked.

The Jazz defended him well early on, but if Gordon Hayward was giving it his all defensively, I feel for Jazz fans. Kobe abused him a number of times.

concerned
04-14-2016, 01:20 PM
The Jazz defended him well early on, but if Gordon Hayward was giving it his all defensively, I feel for Jazz fans. Kobe abused him a number of times.

Actually, I thought Hayward did give it his all, esp. the last 8 minutes or so. He did get abused. The thing that surprised me was how weak Trey Lyles was. he really got pushed around.

SoCalPat
04-14-2016, 10:17 PM
I'm sure it belongs up there with many of the other great sendoffs. Derek Jeter hit a game winner in his last at bat. Elway and Manning won the superbowl in their last games. And, it wasn't his last game, but Lou Gehrig's sendoff is immortal. Mariano Rivera's sendoff was pretty great a few years back.

And don't forget Trevor Reilly sealing the win against CU with an interception which he then punted into the south end zone. That was epic.

None of those compare. Game-winning RBIs are a routine part of baseball; 60-point games are not. So cross off Jeter (Ted Williams had the greatest final AB in baseball, and it was done in a near-empty Fenway). Elway and Manning won the Super Bowl, but going into their final game, we knew that was a possibility. Nobody ... and you're a liar if you say so ... saw a 60-point game coming from Kobe. To further expound, Manning isn't even in the discussion -- he only played one of the three worst games ever by a SB winning QB. Elway had a good game and was MVP, but it's not like Denver was the inferior team to Atlanta like the Lakers were to the Jazz last night. To get in Kobe's ballpark, he'd have to have thrown for 500-plus yards and at least 5 TDs, all while overcoming a 10- to 13-point deficit in the final 3 minutes.

Gehrig's sendoff was truly immortal, but it had nothing to do with an athletic feat. The pre-game platitudes were nice for Kobe, but we wanted a performance, and by that standard, he exceeded everyone's expectations. It's not even close.

Greatest final game ever? Kobe quite likely retired that trophy last night as far as our lifetimes are concerned.

sancho
05-26-2016, 09:27 PM
Bogut comes up big in game 5.

sancho
05-28-2016, 09:43 PM
Wow. We get a game seven!

Westbrook and Durant forcing everything the last five minutes cost the thunder.

sancho
05-30-2016, 09:40 PM
Wow. We get a game seven!

Westbrook and Durant forcing everything the last five minutes cost the thunder.

Great series.

The game turned in the 3rd quarter when the Thunder, for some reason, kept switching Adams onto Thompson and Curry.

UtahsMrSports
06-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Looking forward to this series. Obviously, Id like to see Bogut do well. Otherwise, I don't care for either team, just hoping for some competitive basketball.

concerned
06-02-2016, 09:04 AM
Looking forward to this series. Obviously, Id like to see Bogut do well. Otherwise, I don't care for either team, just hoping for some competitive basketball.

I dont know, but I would expect Bogut to have little role in this series due to match ups; Warriors will play small, with Iguidola on Lebron. My less than $.02. Bogut could play less than Kanter did against the Warriors.

DrumNFeather
06-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Warriors in 5.

UtahsMrSports
06-03-2016, 08:51 AM
The whole game changed on Delly's foul of Iguodala.

I've learned never to judge a series based on game 1. Its just incredible how fast the Warriors can absolutely bury opponents.

Scorcho
06-03-2016, 09:38 AM
The whole game changed on Delly's foul of Iguodala.

I've learned never to judge a series based on game 1. Its just incredible how fast the Warriors can absolutely bury opponents.

Agreed. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Cavs take game 2, despite everyone clammoring that because GS guards didn't play well that Cleveland is in trouble

UtahsMrSports
06-03-2016, 10:01 AM
Agreed. Wouldn't be shocked to see the Cavs take game 2, despite everyone clammoring that because GS guards didn't play well that Cleveland is in trouble

I think things will return to equilibrium. The folks who are saying this series is over because the splash brothers didnt play well and the warriors still blew them out are likely not taking into consideration that Shaun Livingston and Leandro Barbosa likely dont have another game in them like that. Also, Iggy is not going to give them a 12-7-6 every game either, as good as he still is.

As a die hard Jazz fan, it pains me to think that we helped them quite a bit to build that thing. But oh well, our time will hopefully come.

UtahsMrSports
06-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Tonights game 5 would normally be a mere formality but Draymond Green being suspended makes it much more intriguing. If the Cavs win tonight, then can hold home court in game 6, we could be looking at a really good series.

sancho
06-13-2016, 11:01 AM
Tonights game 5 would normally be a mere formality but Draymond Green being suspended makes it much more intriguing. If the Cavs win tonight, then can hold home court in game 6, we could be looking at a really good series.

Bogut will fill in fine. Warriors end it tonight.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Bogut will fill in fine. Warriors end it tonight.

Bogut doesn't look fine. Blocked a shot only to have he Cav come into his knee on the landing. Laid there for a few minutes until they could carry him to the locker room.

UtahsMrSports
06-15-2016, 09:06 AM
I haven't heard about any updates on Bogut yet, other than that he traveled with the team to Cleveland. That injury looked gruesome. Hopefully, he has a speedy recovery.

With the draft next week, a lot of mock drafts are floating around. Folks have Jakob anywhere from 9 to 12. 12 is the Jazz, as of now.

DrumNFeather
06-15-2016, 11:18 AM
I haven't heard about any updates on Bogut yet, other than that he traveled with the team to Cleveland. That injury looked gruesome. Hopefully, he has a speedy recovery.

With the draft next week, a lot of mock drafts are floating around. Folks have Jakob anywhere from 9 to 12. 12 is the Jazz, as of now.

Out for the rest of the series.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-15-2016, 01:17 PM
Out for the rest of the series.

Sprained knee. 6-8 weeks.

UtahsMrSports
06-17-2016, 08:57 AM
Bogut was missed last night. The "death" lineup only works in spurts, not as a long term thing (to no one's surprise). Ezili has a lot of energy and athleticism but no where near Bogut's skill level at either end. I know hes become a 20 minutes a game role player, but his absence was felt.

LA Ute
06-19-2016, 06:22 PM
The Cavs' jerseys tonight look stupid.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

sancho
06-19-2016, 06:40 PM
The Cavs' jerseys tonight look stupid.

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

They're letting physical play go. Gotta think that favors the Cavs. W's miss bogut in a game like this.

sancho
06-19-2016, 07:28 PM
W's miss bogut in a game like this.

....never mind. No reason to pull green in this game.

sancho
06-19-2016, 07:50 PM
....never mind. No reason to pull green in this game.

Ugh. Never mind again. Varajao killing the warriors.

sancho
06-19-2016, 08:31 PM
Ugh. Never mind again. Varajao killing the warriors.

It's been 89-89 for about 200 possessions. First team to do something not ugly wins!

sancho
06-19-2016, 08:37 PM
It's been 89-89 for about 200 possessions. First team to do something not ugly wins!

And it's kyrie Irving to break the ugly. Warriors were a few minutes away from history. Gotta feel like they choked.

Applejack
06-19-2016, 08:47 PM
Wow. Didn't think the Cavs had it in them. Congrats LeBron.

UtahsMrSports
06-20-2016, 07:00 AM
The warriors started their victory lap after game four. The green suspension and to a lesser extent the bogut injury helped turn the tide, but really it was angry lebron mode that was the difference.

My nba memory goes back to about '92 and i dont think ive seen a finals performance that was definitively better than lebron. Just incredible to watch.

Also, congrats to Ayesha Curry on rocketing past TJ Fredette and Trey Burke s parents to become president of the "loose cannon family nembers shouldnt be on twitter in season!" Club.

Utebiquitous
06-20-2016, 10:14 AM
I gotta throw a little shade Curry's way. His casualness (is that a word) with the ball throughout the playoffs has driven me nuts. The behind the back pass in the final five minutes to Thompson - really the front row - was an unconscionable pass. All he had to do was move the ball to Thompson who was probably open for a three on the play. I imagined Majerus rolling over in his grave on the play. Curry simply doesn't value possessions. I think you can go too far in that regard but Kerr needs to apply a little more discipline to this team - way to casual and careless.

sancho
06-20-2016, 03:11 PM
I gotta throw a little shade Curry's way.

I agree. Also, I cringed a bit when he passed to Iguodala on the break. Andre was really struggling - he looked hopeless his previous layup attempt, and then he missed both FTs. LeBron could charge in for the block will 100% because he knew fouling AI was not a bad option at all.

sancho
12-03-2016, 08:34 PM

Alright forward slash it is. Now I don't see anything. Oh well.

Poeltl!

chrisrenrut
12-03-2016, 08:54 PM
805248937686925312[\twitter]

Needs to be a forward slash. Awesome find.

[twitter]805248937686925312

Dwight Schr-Ute
12-04-2016, 01:47 AM

Alright forward slash it is. Now I don't see anything. Oh well.

Poeltl!

I've recently learned that I need to refresh once after I post to be able to see my tweets.

Dwight Schr-Ute
03-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Bogut gets a job with the Cavs. Plays less than one minute. Breaks his leg. Bummer.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18839787/andrew-bogut-exits-cleveland-cavaliers-debut-leg-injury

Rocker Ute
03-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Bogut gets a job with the Cavs. Plays less than one minute. Breaks his leg. Bummer.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18839787/andrew-bogut-exits-cleveland-cavaliers-debut-leg-injury

Stinks, that is probably the end of his career.

NorthwestUteFan
03-07-2017, 07:43 AM
That is too bad. This is about his third career ending-type of injury, iirc.

sancho
04-07-2017, 10:54 PM
So Westbrook did it. Averaged a triple double for the season. Beyond incredible. It's also incredible that people want to give the MVP to someone else. Just give the man his trophy. He averaged a triple double.

sancho
04-14-2017, 08:53 AM
NBA playoff time! I haven't watched a game all season, but I'll probably watch a few now.

The match ups tiers:

Yawn:

Celtics/Bulls, Cavs/Pacers, Warriors/Blazers, Wizards/Hawks, Spurs/Grizz

Go Utes:

Raptors/Bucks. Shame Jabari Parker got hurt.

Must see:

Rockets/Thunder. The rightful MVP vs the media darling. How can anyone root against Westbrook here?

For old times' sake:

Clippers/Jazz.

UtahsMrSports
04-19-2017, 08:53 AM
For having Rudy Gobert out the first two games, the Jazz have done remarkably well. Gotta hold homecourt now. Go up 3-1 and I think the Clippers mail it in for the year.

A bit surprising that the Bulls jumped up on the Celtics 2-0 on the road. That raptors bucks series is surprisingly fun.

I will take the NBA playoffs over any other in sports, including the NCAA tournametn.

sancho
04-19-2017, 09:49 AM
I will take the NBA playoffs over any other in sports, including the NCAA tournametn.

This is crazy talk, but I'm glad they are there for us when basketball season ends and before soccer tournaments start. Ditto the stanley cup.

sancho
04-30-2017, 05:49 PM
First round is over.

Warriors/Jazz. Go Jazz. I liked the Warriors more before they had KD.
Spurs/Rockets. Yawn. Go Spurs, I guess.
Celtics/Wizards. Yawn. Wizards have the 2nd worst name in the NBA.
Cavs/Raptors...and the worst name in the NBA. Go Utes!

Watching the NBA after watching college basketball, the most striking thing to me is how differently fouls are called on screens. So much sliding and chipping is allowed in the NBA.

DrumNFeather
04-30-2017, 07:19 PM
First round is over.

Warriors/Jazz. Go Jazz. I liked the Warriors more before they had KD.
Spurs/Rockets. Yawn. Go Spurs, I guess.
Celtics/Wizards. Yawn. Wizards have the 2nd worst name in the NBA.
Cavs/Raptors...and the worst name in the NBA. Go Utes!

Watching the NBA after watching college basketball, the most striking thing to me is how differently fouls are called on screens. So much sliding and chipping is allowed in the NBA.
I keep hoping that we are heading back to Bullets. Also, today's game was exciting...especially for Boston. Down 20 to start the game, came back and won it. Pathetic effort by the Zards.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Solon
05-01-2017, 10:20 AM
I keep hoping that we are heading back to Bullets. Also, today's game was exciting...especially for Boston. Down 20 to start the game, came back and won it. Pathetic effort by the Zards.

I went to a couple of Wizards games when I lived in the DC area. My favorite part was yelling "Go Whiz!" with the rest of the several hundred people in attendance.
It's a tragic flaw, I know, but pee jokes are pretty much always funny to me.

UtahsMrSports
05-09-2017, 08:20 AM
I wouldnt bet this way, but I also wouldnt be surprised if the Warriors ran through this whole postseason without losing a game.

sancho
05-09-2017, 09:20 AM
I wouldnt bet this way, but I also wouldnt be surprised if the Warriors ran through this whole postseason without losing a game.

Gotta hope both the Cavs and the Warriors get to the finals without losing a game. Must dramatic finals match up in a long time.

concerned
05-09-2017, 09:45 AM
I went to a couple of Wizards games when I lived in the DC area. My favorite part was yelling "Go Whiz!" with the rest of the several hundred people in attendance.
It's a tragic flaw, I know, but pee jokes are pretty much always funny to me.

i used to go see the Bullets at the Cap Center in the 80's. I remember going to a Celtics game, and the entire arena was full of Celtics fans who couldn't get seats at the Boston garden. It was basically a road game for the Bullets.

DrumNFeather
05-09-2017, 11:23 AM
i used to go see the Bullets at the Cap Center in the 80's. I remember going to a Celtics game, and the entire arena was full of Celtics fans who couldn't get seats at the Boston garden. It was basically a road game for the Bullets.

That's how they used to market the games. "Come see [insert 80s super star here]." We too went to see the Celtics to catch Larry Legend, but he was out with back issues. It was a pretty big letdown.

UtahsMrSports
05-09-2017, 12:43 PM
Gotta hope both the Cavs and the Warriors get to the finals without losing a game. Must dramatic finals match up in a long time.

That is my last bit of hope. I am hoping that we can see another year of Angry LeBron Mode and he can make them sweat a bit.

It has been fascinating to see the development of the Warriors. Their drafts from 2009 - 2012 were terrific and even in the year when they blew it (2010 with Ekpe Udoh), they were able to add him as a piece in the deal that got Bogut. The Jazz really helped them as well in getting Iguodala (The jazz were also helped there by getting Rodney Hood and something else this year.)

UtahsMrSports
06-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Lets say that the Warriors sweep or win in 5 and continue to just dominate this series.

Looking at purely this season, where does this team rank all time? My memory goes back to the early 90s so Ive got to throw the '96 Bulls in there.

It would be fun to somehow have the '86 Celtics, '87 Lakers, '96 Bulls and '17 Warriors play a round robin or other tournament.

DrumNFeather
06-06-2017, 09:48 AM
Lets say that the Warriors sweep or win in 5 and continue to just dominate this series.

Looking at purely this season, where does this team rank all time? My memory goes back to the early 90s so Ive got to throw the '96 Bulls in there.

It would be fun to somehow have the '86 Celtics, '87 Lakers, '96 Bulls and '17 Warriors play a round robin or other tournament.

Don't forget the bad boys...Draymond Green would try some of his nonsense and Laimbeer would put him in the seats. Seriously though, imagine Zaza pulling his closeout against a team like the Pistons back in the day.

concerned
06-06-2017, 10:36 AM
My son and I watched the second game, and found it a complete bore, even when the score was still close. the NBA game has evolved into a 3 point shooting contest--space the players on the line and move the ball around until one is open. Neither Cleveland or GS went inside much at all. it really is becoming like playground ball or AAU ball, because everyone just jacks up 3 after 3.

U-Ute
06-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Say hi to the "G-League". The "G" stands for Gatorade.

https://theringer.com/nba-draft-adam-silver-age-limit-ben-simmons-51cc9cfbc034

Diehard Ute
06-06-2017, 03:00 PM
My son and I watched the second game, and found it a complete bore, even when the score was still close. the NBA game has evolved into a 3 point shooting contest--space the players on the line and move the ball around until one is open. Neither Cleveland or GS went inside much at all. it really is becoming like playground ball or AAU ball, because everyone just jacks up 3 after 3.

Yup. And it makes comparing eras difficult, of course.

The league of the 90's is entirely different from the league now. It's impossible to say where teams stack up.

sancho
06-07-2017, 08:19 PM

I don't think it's so bad. It's a worthy option during commercials and intermissions in the hockey games. It's not like the college game is a thing of beauty right now either. Basketball in general has problems. But it continues to produce dramatic or impressive moments on a regular basis.

Why is the Cleveland skyline on their basketball court? It's a completely generic skyline that even Clevelanders can't pick out of a lineup.

concerned
06-07-2017, 09:03 PM
we are enjoying game 3 a lot more. very intense and well played. unbelievable shotmaking all around.

UtahsMrSports
06-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Yup. And it makes comparing eras difficult, of course.

The league of the 90's is entirely different from the league now. It's impossible to say where teams stack up.

Comparing across eras is fun and at the same time maddening, because there never will be an answer. Lets take the 2017 Warriors and put them up against the 1986 Celtics. The warriors in crunch time put Kevin Durrant at Center. The Celtics go with Robert Parrish. The most fascinating thing to me is forced to adjust first? In my opinion, the Warriors force Boston to adjust first, forcing McHale up to Center, Bird up to the 4, and keeping Parrish and Walton glued to the bench for most of the game. DJ versus Steph? Ainge vs Klay? Larry vs Draymond? That would be awesome!

The more fascinating match up to me is the Warriors versus the 96 Bulls. Luc Longley becomes less of a factor and the bulls counter Curry-Thompson-Iggy-Green-Durrant with Harper-Jordan-Pippen-Rodman-Cockroach. Outside of Cockroach, the Bulls have an elite defender at every position. Cockroach probably gets put on Green, while the worm takes durrant with Pippen getting stretches of him as well. I think it would be so fun. I have no idea who would win.

concerned
06-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Comparing across eras is fun and at the same time maddening, because there never will be an answer. Lets take the 2017 Warriors and put them up against the 1986 Celtics. The warriors in crunch time put Kevin Durrant at Center. The Celtics go with Robert Parrish. The most fascinating thing to me is forced to adjust first? In my opinion, the Warriors force Boston to adjust first, forcing McHale up to Center, Bird up to the 4, and keeping Parrish and Walton glued to the bench for most of the game. DJ versus Steph? Ainge vs Klay? Larry vs Draymond? That would be awesome!

The more fascinating match up to me is the Warriors versus the 96 Bulls. Luc Longley becomes less of a factor and the bulls counter Curry-Thompson-Iggy-Green-Durrant with Harper-Jordan-Pippen-Rodman-Cockroach. Outside of Cockroach, the Bulls have an elite defender at every position. Cockroach probably gets put on Green, while the worm takes durrant with Pippen getting stretches of him as well. I think it would be so fun. I have no idea who would win.

the biggest issue is how are the games reffed? Warriors offense would much have harder time if defenders could hand-check and the game were as physical as it was in the 80s-90s.

sancho
06-08-2017, 11:34 AM
I think it would be so fun. I have no idea who would win.

I'll take the Bulls.

Diehard Ute
the biggest issue is how are the games reffed? Warriors offense would much have harder time if defenders could hand-check and the game were as physical as it was in the 80s-90s.

Exactly.

The 2017 game is played under an entirely different set of rules than the 80's and 90's

UtahsMrSports

Great point. Its kind of crazy to imagine MJ in a no hand check league. I will say that the Warriors pass the ball so well (and often) that the hand check issue might be somewhat less impactful.

tooblue
06-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Great point. Its kind of crazy to imagine MJ in a no hand check league. I will say that the Warriors pass the ball so well (and often) that the hand check issue might be somewhat less impactful.

Stephen Curry would be Mark Price 2.0 were it not for the no hand-check rule. He wouldn't be able to dribble around like he does and chuck it at will.

MJ would be even more devastatingly dominant than he was. The Jazz would never have gotten to an NBA final, let alone two finals.

sancho
06-09-2017, 10:04 PM
Fun, strange game tonight.

Curry is the Warriors. Green, Durant, Thompson - the Warriors can overcome a bad game from any of them. But when Curry is off, Golden State loses. He's the MVP of the series, despite Durantula's numbers.

The officials were awful. And they were apparently caught in a lie to allow Green to stay in the game after a 2nd tech. Refs are, of course, dishonest by nature.

tooblue
06-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Curry is the Warriors. Green, Durant, Thompson - the Warriors can overcome a bad game from any of them. But when Curry is off, Golden State loses. He's the MVP of the series, despite Durantula's numbers.

The officials were awful. And they were apparently caught in a lie to allow Green to stay in the game after a 2nd tech. Refs are, of course, dishonest by nature.

Crazy game: the officiating was beyond bad. They should replace the whole unit before the next game. By the way, I'm a ref. Just high school and men's league, and I am always careful when criticizing officials. But that was pitiful.

UtahsMrSports
06-10-2017, 06:47 AM

The sequence where the officials retroactively moved a tech from Green to Kerr and then a fan was booted was one of the most out of control sequences I've seen in a game.

Bad calls happen. Awful, unexplainable calls happen . but those officials lost control of the game and made it up as they went.

I'm happy the series is going longer. But I feel its fools gold. I think GSW comes out on fire on Monday and ends it sort of easily.

sancho
06-10-2017, 07:28 AM
I'm happy the series is going longer. But I feel its fools gold. I think GSW comes out on fire on Monday and ends it sort of easily.

Yeah, too bad the Cavs couldn't hold on in game three.

sancho
06-11-2017, 12:50 PM
I'll take the Bulls.

Obviously, the rules have changed. So it's hard to compare. But I think the Bulls teams match up very well with this Warriors team. In particular, they have an answer for both Curry and Green.

MJ vs Curry. The greatest of all time is also one of the greatest defensive players ever. When Curry struggles, the Warriors struggle, and Jordan could certainly make Curry struggle. And, of course, the Warriors have no real answer for Jordan. Strong edge Bulls.

Pippen vs Durant. Pippen is the rare SF long enough to give Durant a hard time, and he's certainly capable of playing physical defense and offense, which is Durant's lone weakness. Still, Durant is a better player. Slight edge Warriors.

Rodman vs Green. Green is known for playing with emotion and losing his cool. He's also proud of being a strong rebounder. No way he survives a series against the Worm. Green gets more and more frustrated as Rodman cleans up the glass and does stupid Rodman stuff. Edge Bulls.

Thompson vs Kukoc. Thompson is better. Edge Warriors.

Jackson vs Kerr. Phil Jackson is generally considered to be one of the greatest coaches of all time. Edge Bulls.

The rest? Horace Grant and Steve Kerr over Shaun Livingston and Andre Igoudala. Not really very close. Edge Bulls.

U-Ute
06-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Game four was both incredibly fun and totally unwatchable at the same time. It was odd.

DrumNFeather
06-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Another season in the books. Most folks are saying that we're looking at 2-3 more titles for GSW before all is said and done. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the league just rolls over and lets Cleveland try to build a team to compete with Golden State or not. You hear names like Paul George being floated around already.

UtahsMrSports
06-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Another season in the books. Most folks are saying that we're looking at 2-3 more titles for GSW before all is said and done. It will be interesting to see if the rest of the league just rolls over and lets Cleveland try to build a team to compete with Golden State or not. You hear names like Paul George being floated around already.

Their upcoming offseason will be interesting.

-Durrant has a player option that he can opt out and resign long term. Warriors do not have bird rights on him, so timing of his deal will be key. Or he can opt to exercise his option and figure out long term next summer.
-Curry is an UFA and has been "underpaid" his whole career. I expect him to cash in on a max deal
-Iguodala is also an UFA and earned 11 million this year. Even with his bird rights, Im not sure they can match that. Hes aging, but he might be able to get more on the FA market.
-Livingston is an UFA and will command more than the ~5 million he made this year.

Ill be interested to see if the bottom two guys (critical role players) will sign for less than what market would pay to keep this thing together, or if they will cash out. Theyre both at a spot career wise where it might be their last chance.

The rest of their roster is roster fill that can come and go. They don't have a first rounder this year.

If they lose one or both of iggy and livingston and cant replace them, it brings them down. Not enough to the point where I think they wouldn't win the title, but it would make it interesting.

sancho
06-13-2017, 11:38 AM
If they lose one or both of iggy and livingston and cant replace them, it brings them down. Not enough to the point where I think they wouldn't win the title, but it would make it interesting.

I don't think these two matter very much. There's always some replacement version available. It's all about Curry and the other three. They won 70+ games without Durant. They can manage without Andre Iguodala.

UtahsMrSports
06-13-2017, 12:11 PM
I don't think these two matter very much. There's always some replacement version available. It's all about Curry and the other three. They won 70+ games without Durant. They can manage without Andre Iguodala.

The problem is can they get a suitable replacement on a minimum salary. I certainly agree that as long as Durrant, Curry, Thompson, and Green are healthy, they will be heavy favorites (particularly the first two) but Iggy does a LOT of little things and Livingston allows Curry to play off ball. Also, those guys are nice depth pieces should injuries arise.

sancho
06-13-2017, 12:26 PM
I certainly agree that as long as Durrant, Curry, Thompson, and Green are healthy, they will be heavy favorites (particularly the first two)

They're heavy favorites event without Durant, as we saw the previous few seasons. I think they could lose Durant, Thompson, or Green and still be a title contender.

Iggy's fine. Livingston too. They would find replacements that would also be fine, even on a minimum salary.

DrumNFeather
06-13-2017, 01:10 PM
The problem is can they get a suitable replacement on a minimum salary. I certainly agree that as long as Durrant, Curry, Thompson, and Green are healthy, they will be heavy favorites (particularly the first two) but Iggy does a LOT of little things and Livingston allows Curry to play off ball. Also, those guys are nice depth pieces should injuries arise.

David West is the model here for how these teams are going to contend when they lose pieces. There will be enough vets that have made enough money that will be willing to take peanuts in order to get a ring.

concerned
06-13-2017, 01:13 PM
would Bogut have made any difference for the Cavs? Couldnt have been worse than TT

p.s. Deron Williams sure appears washed up.

sancho
06-13-2017, 03:01 PM
would Bogut have made any difference for the Cavs?

Yes. Bogut is a rebounder, and he's mean. He would have been harder for Green. With Bogut, Warriors in 6 instead of 5.

Dwight Schr-Ute
06-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Lonzo Ball finally gets a little shoe money rolling in by trolling his dad.

https://youtu.be/iPteUZfRrKw

U-Ute
06-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Faux Pelini talks NBA draft. Great stuff.

https://sethsdrafthouse.com/the-curse-of-the-no-1-pick-41c5c287435f

UtahsMrSports
06-19-2017, 08:34 AM
Some interesting developments over the weekend as we get set for the draft this week....

The Jazz twitterverse got up in arms when it was announced that Boston had traded the top pick to Philly, clearing a little more than a million in salary cap to up any offers to free agents (including Gordon Hayward) this offseason.

I get that, but I dont see it that way. Unless other trades go down, Philly takes Markelle Fultz and Lakers take Lonzo Ball (although there is a lot of uncertainty there). That gives Boston a crack at Jackson or Tatum, both 3's with high upside. Hard to see the Celtics going all in on a guy like that in the draft and then going all in on a long term deal for a guy who plays teh same position.

Also, the Paul George news is fascinating. I could see Cleveland taking a flyer on him on a one year rental and going all in on beating GSW next year.

concerned
06-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Some interesting developments over the weekend as we get set for the draft this week....

The Jazz twitterverse got up in arms when it was announced that Boston had traded the top pick to Philly, clearing a little more than a million in salary cap to up any offers to free agents (including Gordon Hayward) this offseason.

I get that, but I dont see it that way. Unless other trades go down, Philly takes Markelle Fultz and Lakers take Lonzo Ball (although there is a lot of uncertainty there). That gives Boston a crack at Jackson or Tatum, both 3's with high upside. Hard to see the Celtics going all in on a guy like that in the draft and then going all in on a long term deal for a guy who plays teh same position.

Also, the Paul George news is fascinating. I could see Cleveland taking a flyer on him on a one year rental and going all in on beating GSW next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson or Tatum becomes part of a trade, where Hayward signs a max agreement with Utah, and gets traded to the Celts for picks and players. I don't think Ainge would have done that trade with the intention of keeping the pick. he is going after an established player, either Hayward or Jimmy Butler, or both, to challenge LBJ now, and succeed him when he goes to the Lakers (with PG).

sancho
06-19-2017, 10:24 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson or Tatum becomes part of a trade, where Hayward signs a max agreement with Utah, and gets traded to the Celts for picks and players. I don't think Ainge would have done that trade with the intention of keeping the pick. he is going after an established player, either Hayward or Jimmy Butler, or both, to challenge LBJ now, and succeed him when he goes to the Lakers (with PG).

That seems crazy to me. You do that if Hayward or Butler or both is enough to start competing for titles, but they aren't. You have a good, young team. Draft Tatum/Jackson and prepare to compete in the post-LeBron East that is coming.

concerned
06-19-2017, 10:42 AM
That seems crazy to me. You do that if Hayward or Butler or both is enough to start competing for titles, but they aren't. You have a good, young team. Draft Tatum/Jackson and prepare to compete in the post-LeBron East that is coming.

You might be right. But if the Celts were playing for the future, they would have kept Fultz instead of basically committing to IT. I have read a bunch of reports saying their goal is to pair Butler and Hayward, and use Butler as an enticement for hayward, and if they cant get both they at least get one. The future is now--by the time the Celts eclipse the Cavs, they may be eclipsed by the 76ers.

UtahsMrSports
06-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Perhaps drafting jackson/tatum is a way for them to hedge. If Hayward stays or goes to Miami, then they have a SF who can develop and be a piece of something better in 2-3 years. If Hayward signs, they can use whichever player they draft in a trade for Butler or to upgrade the front court.

A lot of people seem to think that LeBron will bolt after next year. I dont think we are there by any means, but I dont think it will be too long before LeBron isn't LeBron anymore.

sancho
06-19-2017, 11:24 AM
You might be right. But if the Celts were playing for the future, they would have kept Fultz instead of basically committing to IT. I have read a bunch of reports saying their goal is to pair Butler and Hayward, and use Butler as an enticement for hayward, and if they cant get both they at least get one. The future is now--by the time the Celts eclipse the Cavs, they may be eclipsed by the 76ers.

I guess it depends on what you think of Hayward. I don't see the Hayward/Butler combo as a title team. Maybe they think he's still on the rise.

U-Ute
06-19-2017, 12:09 PM
FiveThirtyEight says Durant was just an insurance policy for the Warriors.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-warriors-didnt-need-kevin-durant-to-be-this-good/

UtahsMrSports
06-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Phil Jackson has let it be known that he is potentially looking to trade KP and has met with Markannen as a replacement.

NBA Player Phil Jackson was tough as nails and a terrific role player
NBA Coach Phil Jackson caused me a lot of pain.
NBA GM Phil Jackson has shown a breathtaking level of incompetence. And it has caused me much joy.

Mormon Red Death
06-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Phil Jackson has let it be known that he is potentially looking to trade KP and has met with Markannen as a replacement.

NBA Player Phil Jackson was tough as nails and a terrific role player
NBA Coach Phil Jackson caused me a lot of pain.
NBA GM Phil Jackson has shown a breathtaking level of incompetence. And it has caused me much joy.
The Latvian gang banger is on the market? Favors and the 2 picks for him!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

UtahsMrSports
06-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Dwight Howard traded to Charlotte in what is essentially a salary dump. I always found him overrated, especially on defense, but his fall from grace seems to have come quickly.

sancho
06-22-2017, 08:34 PM
I haven't rooted for the Lakers in a while. This will be fun. Go get 'em, Kuz.

Mormon Red Death
06-22-2017, 08:38 PM
I haven't rooted for the Lakers in a while. This will be fun. Go get 'em, Kuz.
Didn't he get picked by Brooklyn?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

sancho
06-22-2017, 08:38 PM
Didn't he get picked by Brooklyn?

Yes, but the Nets picked him for the Lakers. A trade.

sancho
06-22-2017, 08:40 PM
Also, seems the Jazz really fleeced Denver. Moved up into the lottery for just Trey Lyles. How am I suppoed to root for the Nuggest if they are doing stuff like that?

DrumNFeather
06-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Warriors trade for Jordan Bell. That sure seems like a good fit.

Brooks, Dorsey, Rabb and some UCLA all taken in round 2. Pretty awesome that Kuzma went ahead of all those guys.

If Magic actually can lure LeBron to L.A. next year, Kuz could be on a really interesting squad.

sancho
06-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Warriors trade for Jordan Bell. That sure seems like a good fit.

Everything's a good fit when your team is as loaded as GS.

Scorcho
06-23-2017, 10:58 AM
is it just me or does the NBA draft have all of the intrigue of a Winnemucca home town festival. Every 3rd pick was traded to another team, 5 minutes later.

concerned
06-23-2017, 11:09 AM
is it just me or does the NBA draft have all of the intrigue of a Winnemucca home town festival. Every 3rd pick was traded to another team, 5 minutes later.

Plus 90% of the draftees are never heard from again. Its amazing how you can go down the draft lists from prior years and not recognize most of the names, unless thay have been pricked as the wrost draft choice ever.

The real problem with the NBA is that one or two players makes all the difference in the league and on a team. You either have one of those guys or you dont. its not like baseball or football, where you really have to build an entire team, and one or two players doesnt determine your destiny. (ok, you have to have a good qb in football, but you can win a championship without the one or two best.)

Two Utes
06-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Also, seems the Jazz really fleeced Denver. Moved up into the lottery for just Trey Lyles. How am I suppoed to root for the Nuggest if they are doing stuff like that?

And Bradley >> >>Bam Adebeyo. I've seen them both up close. Jazz did ok last night.

sancho
06-23-2017, 01:05 PM
And Bradley >> >>Bam Adebeyo. I've seen them both up close. Jazz did ok last night.

I haven't seen either close up, but I've seen them both on TV. I agree with you.

concerned
06-23-2017, 01:06 PM

Time will tell how well we did. Dennis Lindsay drafted Gobert, which should be enough to keep his job forever. However, he whiffed on Trey Burke and Trey Lyles (lesson to be learned: don't draft Treys in the lottery). And I think you and I agree that Exum ultimately will be a bust. Jury still out on Hood.

Trey Lyles really hurts because everybody in the world except Dennis Lindsay wanted to take Devin Booker and was disappointed when he didn't. Booker probably would have played a lot the last two years, with all the injuries, and proved himself.

sancho
06-23-2017, 01:11 PM
And I think you and I agree that Exum ultimately will be a bust.

Is the jury still out on this? I think we can just go ahead and call him a bust, right?

Time will tell, but the fact that they got into the lottery for peanuts is pretty good. Mitchell may bust, but the Jazz had better odds with him than with Lyles + 24.

Not sure what the Nuggets were thinking.

concerned
06-23-2017, 01:36 PM
Is the jury still out on this? I

not as far as I am concerned.

sancho
04-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Watched my first NBA of the year last night. Pelicans/Blazers.

Here's the playoffs:

Pacers/Cavs. Go Cavs. If the Raptors don't get to the finals, the Cavs are the next most interesting option.
Jazz/Thunder. Go Jazz, but it's close. Westbrook just averaged a triple double AGAIN. I'm giving him the MVP every year until he doesn't average a triple double. I would love to see him beat the Warriors or Rockets.
TWolves/Rockets. As much as I love the beard, I can't stand stars like Harden who get so many of their points on the line. It's just not fun.
Sixers/Heat. I like Embiid, but I would love to see an 80 year old DWade keep playing well.
Blazers/Pelicans. Go unibrow. Nothing really interesting about the blazers.
Warriors/Spurs. I don't think it matters who I'm rooting for. Warriors advance.
Raptors/Wizards. Toronto is the favorite of Ute fans everywhere.
Celtics/Bucks. Gotta root for the Greek.

sancho
04-19-2018, 10:09 AM
My brother, who lives in SLC, couldn't watch the Jazz on Dish last night because it was blacked out. Can someone explain that to me? I've never understood black out rules.

chrisrenrut
04-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Nationally, it was on NBATV. Locally, it was on AT&T Sports. I guess as a result, NBATV blacked out the broadcast so that it could only be viewed on AT&T Sports.

sancho
04-25-2018, 01:03 PM
Watched my first NBA of the year last night. Pelicans/Blazers.

Here's the playoffs:

Pacers/Cavs. Go Cavs. If the Raptors don't get to the finals, the Cavs are the next most interesting option.
Jazz/Thunder. Go Jazz, but it's close. Westbrook just averaged a triple double AGAIN. I'm giving him the MVP every year until he doesn't average a triple double. I would love to see him beat the Warriors or Rockets.
TWolves/Rockets. As much as I love the beard, I can't stand stars like Harden who get so many of their points on the line. It's just not fun.
Sixers/Heat. I like Embiid, but I would love to see an 80 year old DWade keep playing well.
Blazers/Pelicans. Go unibrow. Nothing really interesting about the blazers.
Warriors/Spurs. I don't think it matters who I'm rooting for. Warriors advance.
Raptors/Wizards. Toronto is the favorite of Ute fans everywhere.
Celtics/Bucks. Gotta root for the Greek.

The best moment of the playoffs so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz8u7t8YAV4

chrisrenrut
04-25-2018, 02:35 PM
The best moment of the playoffs so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz8u7t8YAV4

I'm kind of enjoying the Westbrook meltdown. His postgame press conferences,"shut (Rubio's) sh!t down", and then "it's more than me and him, let's get past that" are pretty funny.

LA Ute
04-25-2018, 03:49 PM
I'm kind of enjoying the Westbrook meltdown. His postgame press conferences,"shut (Rubio's) sh!t down", and then "it's more than me and him, let's get past that" are pretty funny.

I bought my car from Russell Westbrook Jeep here in Los Angeles. It’s a very well-run dealership, and there’s a basketball court in the showroom. That’s all I have for you right now.

concerned
04-25-2018, 03:54 PM
I bought my car from Russell Westbrook Jeep here in Los Angeles. It’s a very well-run dealership, and there’s a basketball court in the showroom. That’s all I have for you right now.

Once when I was driving across country, I stopped in at the Larry Bird auto dealership in French Lick, Indiana. It had a parquet floor.

sancho
04-25-2018, 05:32 PM

Westbrook is the best thing in the NBA right now. Well, 2nd best after Stephenson's wresting the ball from Lebron and holding it up like a trophy as the crowd goes wild.

chrisrenrut
04-25-2018, 11:22 PM

"I thought Delon Wright did a good job down the stretch handling the ball," Casey said. "It gave us an opportunity for Kyle and DeMar to get off the ball a little bit more and I thought that was the difference."
Wright scored 11 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter, and Valanciunas had 14 points and 13 rebounds as the Raptors improved to 5-0 in home Game 5s over the past five years.
"Delon Wright came in and made some big shots and big plays for them," Washington's John Wall (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/4237/john-wall) said. "Whenever he gets over 10 or 15, nine times out of 10 they win the game. He's a big key to their team when they go small."

Mormon Red Death
04-27-2018, 05:15 PM
https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/988741844501594114?s=19

Mormon Red Death
04-27-2018, 05:16 PM
Andrew Bogut leaving the NBA

sancho
04-27-2018, 05:36 PM
Andrew Bogut leaving the NBA

Greatest Australian basketball player of all time. Perhaps the greatest Australian of all time.

SoCalPat
04-29-2018, 11:14 PM
Greatest Australian basketball player of all time. Perhaps the greatest Australian of all time.

Which made it all the more sad when I discovered he followed kooks like Alex Jones and Mike Cernovich on Twitter. There are just some things I'm not going to tolerate.

But yeah, his legacy and status in Aussie hoops is pretty secure for probably another 50 years.

sancho
04-30-2018, 06:42 AM
Which made it all the more sad when I discovered he followed kooks like Alex Jones and Mike Cernovich on Twitter. There are just some things I'm not going to tolerate.

But yeah, his legacy and status in Aussie hoops is pretty secure for probably another 50 years.

I'm not sure who those people are.

Australian Mt Rushmore: Bogut, Rod Stewart, Elle Macpherson, and Crocodile Dundee. Did I miss anyone?

Rocker Ute
04-30-2018, 09:02 AM

Australian Mt Rushmore: Bogut, Rod Stewart, Elle Macpherson, and Crocodile Dundee. Did I miss anyone?

Luc Longley - fear the mullet.

chrisrenrut
05-22-2018, 07:46 PM

999100892447043586?s=21

Why can't I see the tweet?

From Krystkowiak-

40 percent of tonites starters and NBA All Rookie team from PAC12. #leaguetranslates

concerned
05-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Rod Stewart is English. What about Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, or Geoffrey Rush?

sancho
05-22-2018, 09:14 PM
Rod Stewart is English. What about Cate Blanchett, Nicole Kidman, or Geoffrey Rush?

Oops. In that case, Steve Irvin.

concerned
05-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Oops. In that case, Steve Irvin.

Ned Kelly has my vote.

sancho
05-26-2018, 09:25 PM
Double game 7's. Can't ask for more than that. Funny that so few of the games have been close.

concerned
05-26-2018, 10:26 PM
Double game 7's. Can't ask for more than that. Funny that so few of the games have been close.

First time since 1979 i read.

LA Ute
05-27-2018, 11:55 AM

Cate Blanchett is second only to Meryl Streep as the best actress of our era.

sancho
05-27-2018, 12:16 PM
Cate Blanchett is second only to Meryl Streep as the best actress of our era.

Which is enough to be a runner-up for the Australian Mt Rushmore.

sancho
05-27-2018, 11:47 PM

That was one of the all time ugly game 7's. James is obviously great, but beating Toronto was more impressive than beating this Celtics team. Look at that Boston roster. Not pretty.

I'm thinking whoever comes out of the west wins in 5. I hope, though, that LeBron somehow manages to make it interesting. That would be special and meaningful in ways that go far beyond his dominance over the eastern conference.

sancho
05-29-2018, 09:00 AM
Table is set for Lebron to convince everyone that he is the greatest of all time. Seems very unlikely that this Cavs team hangs with the Warriors.

Sullyute
05-29-2018, 10:43 AM

Totally behind here and off thread topic, but Mel Gibson, Russell Crowe, and Hugh Jackman have to be on that list.

That is about all I can contribute to the NBA thread.

sancho
05-31-2018, 10:02 PM

Game had all of what makes basketball great and most of what makes basketball terrible. I feel for the Cavs, but I also feel for basketball fans. A Cleveland win would have made this series so much more interesting.

mUUser
05-31-2018, 11:07 PM
Table is set for Lebron to convince everyone that he is the greatest of all time. Seems very unlikely that this Cavs team hangs with the Warriors.

My generation is just gonna have to deal with the fact that Lebron is the GOAT.

LA Ute
05-31-2018, 11:37 PM
Rod Stewart is English.

Bite your tongue. He's a Scot.

concerned
05-31-2018, 11:56 PM
Bite your tongue. He's a Scot.

Scottish and English ancestry, but born and raised in London.

LA Ute
06-01-2018, 12:18 AM
Scottish and English ancestry, but born and raised in London.

I actually knew that but his dad was a Scot, laddie. And Stewart is a purely Scottish name. Don’t confuse the discussion with annoying facts.

https://youtu.be/nqU0u9v6U0I

concerned
06-01-2018, 05:17 AM
I actually knew that but his dad was a Scot, laddie. And Stewart is a purely Scottish name. Don’t confuse the discussion with annoying facts.

https://youtu.be/nqU0u9v6U0I

That makes me a Scot too, since both my fathers family name and my mothers (Burns) are pure Scot. I had better turn in my passport.

LA Ute
06-01-2018, 05:23 AM
That makes me a Scot too, since both my fathers family name and my mothers (Burns) are pure Scot. I had better turn in my passport.

You’re beginning to catch the vision.

concerned
06-01-2018, 05:40 AM
You’re beginning to catch the vision.

The good thing is, now I have something in common with Alexander Hamilton.

Diehard Ute
06-01-2018, 07:23 AM
The good thing is, now I have something in common with Alexander Hamilton.

You’re going to die in a duel?

concerned
06-01-2018, 07:36 AM
You’re going to die in a duel?

I meant being a Scot, but you are probably right.

LA Ute
06-01-2018, 11:19 AM
I meant being a Scot, but you are probably right.

I think being a Scot has been mostly a state of mind after James 1 became king. The dividing line got blurrier and blurrier over the decades after that. When Bonnie Prince Charlie failed to retake the throne most Scots decided they were British now.

Funny family story: After the Battle of Culloden (when Charlie’s dreams were dashed forever) the English cracked down on Scottish customs and even persecuted people whose surnames were very Gaelic-sounding. In order to survive, be able to get jobs, etc., many Scottish people (including my ancestors) changed their names to ones like Brown, Green, White, etc. If you have strong Scottish ancestry and your surname is one of those, it probably was another name prior to about Culloden in 1750. (Our family name was McGonigle.) Anyway, my third great grandfather was so angry at the English for causing the loss of the family name that he christened my great-great grandfather with two given names -- Cambell McLeod. We have no Campbells or McLeods in our family line. He just wanted to make a statement with two very Gaelic/Scottish names for his son. Those two given names persist in my family to this day. Alba gu bràth!

Rocker Ute
06-02-2018, 08:08 AM
I think being a Scot has been mostly a state of mind after James 1 became king. The dividing line got blurrier and blurrier over the decades after that. When Bonnie Prince Charlie failed to retake the throne most Scots decided they were British now.

Funny family story: After the Battle of Culloden (when Charlie’s dreams were dashed forever) the English cracked down on Scottish customs and even persecuted people whose surnames were very Gaelic-sounding. In order to survive, be able to get jobs, etc., many Scottish people (including my ancestors) changed their names to ones like Brown, Green, White, etc. If you have strong Scottish ancestry and your surname is one of those, it probably was another name prior to about Culloden in 1750. (Our family name was McGonigle.) Anyway, my third great grandfather was so angry at the English for causing the loss of the family name that he christened my great-great grandfather with two given names -- Cambell McLeod. We have no Campbells or McLeods in our family line. He just wanted to make a statement with two very Gaelic/Scottish names for his son. Those two given names persist in my family to this day. Alba gu bràth!

Hmmm... my mother's line are Blacks (the name) going back to the same area and time period. My last name is Dutch but my ancestors are German. They trace back to a German town named Rindern and it ends there. I found an article about the history of the sea port town which for a long period of time was controlled by the Dutch royalty. It noted that many Germans there changed their names to Dutch names to ingratiate themselves to the Dutch royalty.

I think we know why the name dead ends there.

So that'd mean I'm coming from brown nosers on both sides.

You guys are great by the way.

LA Ute
06-02-2018, 09:02 AM
Hmmm... my mother's line are Blacks (the name) going back to the same area and time period. My last name is Dutch but my ancestors are German. They trace back to a German town named Rindern and it ends there. I found an article about the history of the sea port town which for a long period of time was controlled by the Dutch royalty. It noted that many Germans their changed their names to Dutch names to ingratiate themselves to the Dutch royalty.

I think we know why the name dead ends there.

So that'd mean I'm coming from brown nosers on both sides.

You guys are great by the way.

If your Black surname is Scottish in origin and you can’t find any ancestors in that line prior to the mid-1700s, chances are you had some Highlander rebel ancestors with a name like MacRocker. Don’t blame them; they were just trying to fit in.

chrisrenrut
06-02-2018, 04:15 PM

Scorcho
07-02-2018, 11:04 AM

not sure if this is good or bad for Koozma? my first reaction was it has to be bad.

Mormon Red Death
07-14-2018, 05:04 PM
Here's Tyler rawson getting worked in summer league
https://twitter.com/ringer/status/1017957177703559169?s=19

LA Ute
12-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Kuzma had a double-double tonight.

Scorcho
01-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Kuzma hurt his back last night, MRI today.

Mormon Red Death
03-06-2019, 07:42 PM
Bogut back with the warriors
https://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Bogut-s-Back-Warriors-to-sign-center-for-13667368.php

sancho
03-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Bogut back with the warriors
https://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Bogut-s-Back-Warriors-to-sign-center-for-13667368.php

Best Aussie bball player of all time. 2nd face from the left on the Australian Mt Rushmore.

sancho
03-06-2019, 08:00 PM
The NBA is tough right now. I root for the Lakers because of Kuzma, the Jazz because that's the team of my youth, and the Nuggets because I'm in Denver. Now I can add the Warriors to the list. If they win it all, I will claim that it's because of Bogues.

concerned
03-08-2019, 11:22 AM
The NBA is tough right now. I root for the Lakers because of Kuzma, the Jazz because that's the team of my youth, and the Nuggets because I'm in Denver. Now I can add the Warriors to the list. If they win it all, I will claim that it's because of Bogues.

It sure wont be because of Draymond or Boogie.

mUUser
04-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Dirk makes it official.....:cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRxKsUfHLEE

I get that the real GOAT comes down to MJ or Lebron (I've got Lebron), but, in the mUUser house, Dirk is, and will always be the GOAT. On the whole, he did it the way a GOAT should do it.

- 21 productive years with the same organization
- by most accounts, a tremendous teammate
- loved by the locals, including the media
- reasonably humble given his celebrity
- family guy
- defeated a heavily favored Heat for the championship
- stepped back late in his career without complaint
- politically neutral (at least fairly silent)
- has a truckload of individual accomplishments, but, a great bench guy too
- No fairwell tour

Not to mention I loved his 3Q dunk.....just hung there for a few seconds to soak in the applause. And the cherry on top?....his final home bucket was scored in the face of the great Jimmer Fredette. Who could ask for a greater career?

Now to Luca Doncic, next man up. :rockon:

concerned
04-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Hats off to Dirk for not turning his final season into a yearlong farewell tour. He did it the right way.

sancho
04-10-2019, 11:11 AM
Hats off to Dirk for not turning his final season into a yearlong farewell tour. He did it the right way.

I've always liked Dirk too, but I also like Dwyane Wade. I don't mind that he swapped jerseys with people all season long. He was great to watch at Marquette, and he was amazing in Miami before LeBron took over.

UtahsMrSports
04-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Great battles between these two in the 2006 and 2011 Finals, with each guy getting one.

sancho
04-25-2019, 11:23 AM
Just one more first round playoff series. On to the 2nd round, series ranked from most to least intriguing:

1. GS vs Houston. Who to root for? The Warriors are the Patriots, but Houston is boring. Durant is a baby, but Harden is the embodiment of much that is wrong with the game of basketball.
2. Milwaukee vs Boston. Go Bucks, no doubt on this one.
3. Nuggets/Spurs vs Trailblazers. Go Nuggets, of course. They weren't even supposed to make the playoffs this season.
4. Toronto vs Philly. I'm rooting for The Process, just because it is so ridiculous and it was botched in so many ways.

I watched the Jazz again this postseason. This is a team that can compete on hustle in the regular season, but in the postseason, you need stars. The Jazz have just one star, and one defensive stopper. Everyone else is more or less expendable. I always see tweets about how valuable Favors is to this team, and I never see it in the postseason.

Bogut and Poeltl are still alive in this postseason!

Applejack
04-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Just one more first round playoff series. On to the 2nd round, series ranked from most to least intriguing:

1. GS vs Houston. Who to root for? The Warriors are the Patriots, but Houston is boring. Durant is a baby, but Harden is the embodiment of much that is wrong with the game of basketball.
2. Milwaukee vs Boston. Go Bucks, no doubt on this one.
3. Nuggets/Spurs vs Trailblazers. Go Nuggets, of course. They weren't even supposed to make the playoffs this season.
4. Toronto vs Philly. I'm rooting for The Process, just because it is so ridiculous and it was botched in so many ways.

I watched the Jazz again this postseason. This is a team that can compete on hustle in the regular season, but in the postseason, you need stars. The Jazz have just one star, and one defensive stopper. Everyone else is more or less expendable. I always see tweets about how valuable Favors is to this team, and I never see it in the postseason.

Bogut and Poeltl are still alive in this postseason!

No respect for the Clips.

sancho
04-25-2019, 11:51 AM
No respect for the Clips.

That's right, none.

Applejack
04-25-2019, 11:54 AM
That's right, none.

Let's be honest, everyone should be rooting for the Clippaz in game 6 and game 7. If you think the nuggets were counted to before the year began, what do you call the Clippers preseason predictions.

You are just blinded by your love of all things from the John Denver state.

sancho
04-25-2019, 11:58 AM
Let's be honest, everyone should be rooting for the Clippaz in game 6 and game 7. If you think the nuggets were counted to before the year began, what do you call the Clippers preseason predictions.

You are just blinded by your love of all things from the John Denver state.

Sure, I'll root for them. Just like I'll root for The Citadel vs Alabama this Fall.

The Clippers and the Nets both made the playoffs with no recognizable players this year. Not even the coach of the Clippers can name anyone on the team.

What sets Denver apart is that they actually have a chance to go from nothing to the 2nd round of the playoffs. The Clips don't have that chance.

UtahsMrSports
04-25-2019, 11:58 AM
My 'cheering' picks are as follows:

Houston- The warriors have been to the finals 4 times in a row. If that isn't enough, I am very tired of their act as a whole. I agree on hating Harden's game, but I gained some respect for him in that series. Even if it was just a little, its enough that I just want to see them knock the Warriors out.

Milwaukee- As long as Gordon Hayward is on Boston, I will root against them, my Red Sox fandom not withstanding.

Blazers- Lillard is a really cool story to me.

Toronto- Theyve jettisoned both Utes, but Ben Simmons is a clown to me.

sancho
04-25-2019, 12:08 PM
I agree on hating Harden's game, but I gained some respect for him in that series.

I have a lot of respect for Harden. He has turned his game into an absolute science. He knows precisely what is needed to get his shot off or to draw a foul.

The problem is that there is no joy in this. He's not fun to watch unless you enjoy the meticulousness of it all. He scores a huge percentage of his points from the free throw line. The beard is great, though.

sancho
04-28-2019, 04:33 PM
What percentage of a playoff game's time is spent at the free throw line?

Why are people okay with the idea that someone can pretend they were shooting all along when they get fouled at half court?

Scorcho
04-29-2019, 10:10 AM
What percentage of a playoff game's time is spent at the free throw line?

Why are people okay with the idea that someone can pretend they were shooting all along when they get fouled at half court?

I'm old enough to remember when the NBA allowed 3 foul shots. At one time if you were fouled you got 3 shots to make two.

sancho
05-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Bow tie, Terry Stott? That's a no from me. Go Nuggets!

Utebiquitous
05-01-2019, 10:57 PM
I'd like to see the NBA turn the tables on players like Harden who initiate contact with the defensive player. Granted, it's tough to see it in real time but jumping into a player or putting the ball under a players outstretched arms and the making contact without really intending to score the basketball should be the fault of the offensive player. Stockton was a master at the former as was Kobe Bryant. It's time for the league to look at plays like that and either ignore making a call or call it on the offensive player. It would help make the NBA more watchable.

sancho
05-02-2019, 07:50 AM
either ignore making a call or call it on the offensive player

Ignore. Basketball in general would benefit from more no calls.

sancho
05-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Watching Milwaukee/Toronto. Let's face it, there are only two players in this series worth watching. Giannis and Kawhi. Without those two, I might as well be watching round 1 of some mid major conference tournament. So, yeah, it's great when Giannis fouls out in overtime on a completely arbitrary charge/block decision. Another place where the no call would be an easy improvement.

sancho
05-22-2019, 09:27 AM
I'm glad Golden State is proving that it was all about Curry from the start and that Durant was never the MVP of that team.

I read yesterday that the all-rookie first team is made up of the top five draft picks for the first time since the MJ/Olajuwan draft. Pretty cool.

sancho
05-25-2019, 09:54 PM
Bucks wet the bed at the end of every game. Just no composure at all.

For the record, I was screaming at the TV for the Utah Jazz to draft Kawhi in 2011.

Sullyute
06-10-2019, 04:28 AM
Not sure if this belongs in the NBA thread or the political thread, but I just learned that Karl Malone is a board member of the NRA.

sancho
01-22-2020, 09:50 PM
I tuned in to watch Zion's debut. Three boring quarters, but it was worth it for the fourth quarter. What a show.