PDA

View Full Version : Friday scrimmage impressions

UTEopia
04-05-2013, 06:46 PM
I have a hard time figuring out this team because the only consistent on both sides of the ball is that they are inconsistent. My main concern is the defense. It is not what we are used to and I don’t think simply adding Nate and Reilly to the mix will solve all of the issues. We need some of recent signees along the DL to come in and make an impact or we will have a difficult time getting off the field.

Fall is a long ways off, but right now I have a hard time seeing where we get 6 wins.

QB: I am not sold on Wilson. He just doesn't have the swagger that great QB's seem to exhibit and makes both mental and physical mistakes. I like Schultz even though he threw a bad interception at the end of practice. I like Cox. He throws well and adds that running dimension that is difficult to defend.

RB: Lucky had another productive day and I was more impressed by Poole. He showed some toughness running between the tackles.

WR: I don't remember a bad drop by any of the receivers and there was some good yardage after the catch. Dres and Scott are still solidly 1 and 2. It seems to be a log jam at the other spot as nobody has stepped up and taken control.

TE: It is still Murphy and Tonga. Reese seem well behind the others. I thought Tonga had an excellent day and Murphy is solid.

OL: Both the 1’s and the 2’s were impressive and they seem to all be making good progress.

DL: I think the defense played things pretty straight up and as a result there was not a lot of pressure on the QB’s. While the DL did step up from time-to-time to make a play I thought the OL won the day.

LB: Still a huge concern for me. Nobody really shined. Blechen got most of his steps at LB and looked okay.

CB: Thomas was burned a couple of times and McGill had a pretty good day. McGill is still needs to become much more physical to have a chance, but he improved from the last couple practices.

S: Morris had the best day of any defender. He showed to be strong against the run and had a nice int. Charles Henderson also had a very nice pick and appears to be making headway.

SoCalCoug
04-05-2013, 07:17 PM
I like Cox.

Heh heh . . . heh heh heh.

Applejack
04-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the update. I share your concerns about this year's defense (and Wilson). It seems like the two areas you can count on as strengths on Whittingham's teams (DL and DB) could be hurting this year. If that's the case, our LBs will be exposed even more. Hopefully they can turn it around.

SoCalCoug
04-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I wish we had your cornerbacks.

SavaUte
04-05-2013, 09:32 PM
A few pictures for those that couldn't attend - they say tight shots only, I think I kept them tight, but I'll remove any if there are doubts

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/thebigzwatson/Utah%20Football/DSC08980_zps72c8cc48.jpg
Poole on a long run

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/thebigzwatson/Utah%20Football/DSC08977_zps1ec6cdd5.jpg
Schulz in command

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/thebigzwatson/Utah%20Football/DSC08958_zpscb472e54.jpg
Offensive line

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/thebigzwatson/Utah%20Football/DSC08951_zps3ad92c49.jpg
Wilson makes a throw

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/thebigzwatson/Utah%20Football/DSC08869_zps17d68bad.jpg
The big nasties

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/thebigzwatson/Utah%20Football/DSC08940_zps5c2474b2.jpg
Cox TD run

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/thebigzwatson/Utah%20Football/DSC08886_zps77d40be0.jpg
Palepoi

SoCalPat
04-06-2013, 10:40 AM
A few pictures for those that couldn't attend - they say tight shots only, I think I kept them tight, but I'll remove any if there are doubts

Tight shots imply that you're focusing on a single player or two pre-snap, around the ball after the snap. They really want to eliminate any pre-snap formation shots. If there's anything close to objectionable here, I'd guess first at the O-line blocking. The other stuff is perfectly fine.

Hot Lunch
04-06-2013, 12:14 PM
LB: Still a huge concern for me. Nobody really shined. Blechen got most of his steps at LB and looked okay.

This really scares me for this coming season. IMO, our LB play was awful last year. Our D line will not be as good as our D line was last year with the loss STAR and the brothers Kruger and this is going to hurt our LB's even more this year.

SavaUte
04-06-2013, 01:29 PM
This really scares me for this coming season. IMO, our LB play was awful last year. Our D line will not be as good as our D line was last year with the loss STAR and the brothers Kruger and this is going to hurt our LB's even more this year.

I think everything will be fine with the DL. The reason there wasn't much pass rush last year is because the DL was coached to not try to beat the guy, but basically stand the OL up and let the LBs use the lanes. The exception was Star. This year there is real coaching again.

Also, I didn't see the DL do any stunting, which is a staple in DL play which means they were probably told to keep it vanilla so the OL can figure out what they're doing. From what I understand, that is common in the spring.

Hot Lunch
04-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I think everything will be fine with the DL. The reason there wasn't much pass rush last year is because the DL was coached to not try to beat the guy, but basically stand the OL up and let the LBs use the lanes. The exception was Star. This year there is real coaching again.

Also, I didn't see the DL do any stunting, which is a staple in DL play which means they were probably told to keep it vanilla so the OL can figure out what they're doing. From what I understand, that is common in the spring.

I am not worried about the DL. I think they will be fine this year as well.

U-Ute
04-08-2013, 01:43 PM
QB: I am not sold on Wilson. He just doesn't have the swagger that great QB's seem to exhibit and makes both mental and physical mistakes. I like Schultz even though he threw a bad interception at the end of practice. I like Cox. He throws well and adds that running dimension that is difficult to defend.

Swagger is earned. I suspect he will have some by the time the season rolls around if he is able to move the ball against our defense.

I don't like how Wilson is throwing off is back foot on that fourth picture in. Hopefully it was just a one-off where he wasn't supposed to, or didn't feel like he could, step into his throw.

Hadrian
04-08-2013, 02:12 PM
I wasn't at the scrimmage on Friday, but I've been to six practices so far and I'd say that averaged over the entire spring, Wilson has been the best QB overall. Schultz is generally more consistent while Wilson sort of vacillates between pretty good and fantastic on a day-to-day basis.

Part of it could be just that Wilson gets a lot more reps with the first team.

SavaUte
04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I don't like how Wilson is throwing off is back foot on that fourth picture in. Hopefully it was just a one-off where he wasn't supposed to, or didn't feel like he could, step into his throw.

I don't have any other pictures, but that seemed like his normal release to me

ADMIRALUTE
04-08-2013, 02:34 PM
I don't have any other pictures, but that seemed like his normal release to me

Looked correct to me also and good form. For a righty left leg should be planted and right leg up.

U-Ute
04-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Looked correct to me also and good form. For a righty left leg should be planted and right leg up.

Left leg should be planted in front, and his right leg should kick up behind.

Like I said, it could be a touch pass. I just hope it isn't a habit. ;)

crazyute
04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Swagger is earned. I suspect he will have some by the time the season rolls around if he is able to move the ball against our defense.

??????????
how did you get that he throwing off his back foot? he is totally stepping into the throw.

Applejack
04-09-2013, 06:11 AM
I just read a free article on Utezone that stated that McGill is a junior. Did he get a medical hardship redshirt?

Diehard Ute
04-09-2013, 06:35 AM
I just read a free article on Utezone that stated that McGill is a junior. Did he get a medical hardship redshirt?

The University lists him as a senior in this weeks press release. Hardships usually cannot be applied for until eligibility is exhausted