PDA

View Full Version : What is the last movie you walked out of?

San Diego Ute Fan
04-11-2013, 11:10 AM
I've probably only walked out of 3 or 4 movies in my life, but for my wife and me it was "Benefits of Being a Wallflower". We watched for a full hour, hoping it would get better. It didn't.

While I was in the restroom on the way out, my wife went to the theater manager, asked for free tickets for another movie, and got them.

480ute
04-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I've only walked out of one movie in my life; "The Royal Tenenbaums." That was over ten years ago, but I remember being so bored about 20-30 minutes in that I couldn't take it anymore. Movies are so expensive nowadays that it would take a truly horrific film for me to walk out on.

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Interesting. I take it that you walked out because you were unhappy with the quality of the movie and not due to something objectionable. I personally had no problem with The Perks of Being a Wallflower on either front. It didn't blow me away by any means, but given the normal tripe at the theater, I put it above most.

As for myself, I have literally walked out of hundreds of movies. But the. Again, I worked at a movie theater in high school, so it was part of my job. I can't think of walking out of a movie that I had paid money to see in the theater. Maybe I just do my homework before committing, but even having attended quite a few Sundance shows where they can surprise you (including one I took my wife to early on in our dating relationship called "Deep Throat" that actually had nothing to do with Nixon), I've always stick them out.

Two Utes
04-11-2013, 11:57 AM
I've probably only walked out of 3 or 4 movies in my life, but for my wife and me it was "Benefits of Being a Wallflower". We watched for a full hour, hoping it would get better. It didn't.

While I was in the restroom on the way out, my wife went to the theater manager, asked for free tickets for another movie, and got them.

I liked this show. Two thumbs up. Go figure.

Mormon Red Death
04-11-2013, 12:02 PM
I liked this show. Two thumbs up. Go figure.

Same here... I also like the Royal Tennebaums...

Dwight Schr-Ute
04-11-2013, 12:22 PM
No kidding. The idea of walking out of a Wes Anderson flick seems sac relig.

woot
04-11-2013, 01:19 PM
I thought Perks was pretty good, actually. It was seeming above average as far as stereotypical high school stories go, but then it unexpectedly ends up being a lot more than that. I also liked Tannenbaums, but Wes Anderson can definitely be an acquired taste.

wuapinmon
04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
I walked out of Home Alone 2. I couldn't take it anymore. My best friend and I didn't care how cute our dates were or how much they liked the film, after about 30 minutes, we went out to the parking lot and threw a gigantic plastic slinky back and forth like a football until it was done.

480ute
04-11-2013, 02:03 PM
I walked out of Home Alone 2. I couldn't take it anymore. My best friend and I didn't care how cute our dates were or how much they liked the film, after about 30 minutes, we went out to the parking lot and threw a gigantic plastic slinky back and forth like a football until it was done.
A guy took you to Home Alone 2 on a date? Were you kindergarten sweethearts or something?

utebehindenemylines
04-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Only 1 I can remember. AI, that movie was awful.

I came close to walking out of Lady in the Water, but I stayed cause was trying to impress my date (future wife) cause I had managed to obtain tickets to an advanced screening.

UtahsMrSports
04-11-2013, 02:27 PM
interesting. Guess ive never walked out of a movie before, or even thought about it. Of course, I only go to movies on occasion. even then, I go when I see a preview that sticks out and then I read the reviews to make sure its not dumb.

now, I nearly walked out of Odyssey Dance Theater's "Thriller" several years ago. After the 80th joke about john bobbit, (each of which was met with thunderous applause and laughing from 90% of the female population) it just gets old.

Maybe the reason that one sticks out to me is that afterwards, when I expressed how ridiculous I thought it was, I was told by a member of the group I was with (not my wife for the record) that men like bobbit deserve what they get and so its not inappropriate to joke about it.

Also, I sent an email to Odyssey to express my displeasure at these jokes in a show that had been advertised as "family fun". I got a really snotty email back saying that people get offended every year and they dont know why. They offered me tickets to "Its a wonderful life" (which was great!) with the statement that ill have a tough time finding anything offensive in that.

I dont know, Im just amazed by the double standard in our society on this issue. Can you imagine if some guy wrote a song about murdering an unfaithful wife? Or if a show featured some guy singing songs about mutilating a woman? It would have been rightfully condemned. But with shoes on the other foot, we applaud, laugh, encourage, belittle anyone who disagrees, and even give an Academy of Country Music award out for it! What a joke.

SavaUte
04-11-2013, 02:36 PM
If I hadn't been with other people and known how much more of the movie was left, I would have walked out of Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Are we counting how many times we've stopped a movie at home?

FountainOfUte
04-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Only 1 I can remember. AI, that movie was awful.

I came close to walking out of Lady in the Water, but I stayed cause was trying to impress my date (future wife) cause I had managed to obtain tickets to an advanced screening.

Hmm. I liked both of those movies. I get the hang ups people had with "AI," but those issues didn't bother me. I never got why people didn't like "Lady in the Water." I thought it was a pretty good fantasy -- as far as that genre goes.

LA Ute
04-11-2013, 02:45 PM
I took my daughter and one of her friends (both about age 11) to a girl-kids movie that I didn't want to see. I was pretty bored, so wandered across the hall to watch the final Terminator movie - the one with Christian Bale in the lead. It may have been the worst movie I've ever seen. I left halfway through and surfed the Net on my phone while I waited for my daughter. I was only killing time while watching the movie but I felt IQ points draining away, so I got out.

UBlender
04-11-2013, 02:57 PM
If I hadn't been with other people and known how much more of the movie was left, I would have walked out of Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Are we counting how many times we've stopped a movie at home?

Now that's a good question. I have two little kids so when you add up the cost of a movie and the hassle of getting babysitting for a ~3 hour chunk of time (presumably on a Friday or Saturday night) movies become rare events for us. I average about 1-2 movies in the theater per year and wait until they show up on Netflix for the rest.

I can't recall ever walking out of a theater (if I paid money I'm going to suffer to the end, plus I enjoy some good comedic fodder MST3K style that is provided by bad movies). I came close to leaving The Village and Talladega Nights, but didn't pull the trigger either time. But if we include movies that we rented from Netflix or some other source then the list is much longer.

Sheik Yerbouti
04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
No kidding. The idea of walking out of a Wes Anderson flick seems sac relig.

Word.

And I agree, "Perks" was a nice little coming of age indie movie. Sort of a 2010's version of a John Hughes flick.

Sheik Yerbouti
04-11-2013, 03:17 PM
I took my kids to see the "Red Dawn" remake at the dollar movies a few months ago. If it weren't for the fact that it was a dollar movie and I was with my kids, who were actually enjoying it, I would have walked out. I kept laughing uncontrollably at the inane dialogue when no one else was laughing. My 13 year old daughter kept hitting me in the shoulder to stop.

utebehindenemylines
04-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Falling asleep during a movie in a theater... I can't even begin to name them.

mpfunk
04-11-2013, 03:39 PM
I've never walked out of movie. However, there were 2 already listed in this thread, Pirates 2 and Lady in the Water, that I would have left if I wasn't with other people. I'm going to punch m night shyamalan if I ever get the chance for the hell he put me through with Lady in the Water.

Jarid in Cedar
04-11-2013, 03:59 PM
The Shadow in 1994.

UtahDan
04-11-2013, 04:43 PM
Bandits. We were REALLY hungry.

wuapinmon
04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
A guy took you to Home Alone 2 on a date? Were you kindergarten sweethearts or something?

Notice the third-person pronoun.