PDA

View Full Version : How do you filter forums from the activity stream?

jrj84105
04-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Can I get the stream to only show messages in forums I care about?
thanks

LA Ute
04-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Can I get the stream to only show messages in forums I care about?
thanks

Here are some tips that, if used, make vBulletin the best of any message board format, IMO. This is what enables you to follow threads you care about and skip everything else:

1. When you log on, click "My Profile" on the upper right. That will show you the threads you have participated in or subscribed to. (If you've participated in a thread then you are automatically subscribed to it.)

2. To subscribe to a thread without responding to it, click on "Thread Tools" while you are in the thread and simply hit "subscribe." You will have notification options for new posts, including having e-mails sent to you either through your control panel (which is what you see when you click on "My Profile"), instant e-mail notification, weekly e-mail notification, and weekly e-mail notification.

3. If you've participated in a thread, the default is to give you notification through your control panel. I think you can change the defaults in your main settings. If your default is just to have new posts show up in your control panel, but want to change that to be notified every time someone adds a new post, you can unsubscribe from the thread, then re-subscribe and pick the notification options you want.

4. Now and then (usually when you log on) you should click "New Posts" to see if there is anything new you might be interested in.

5. If you click on "What's New?" or the Activity Stream under that tab, you'll see every new post in order of its appearance. That's usually too much and it probably frustrates people new to this board because not every thread interests everyone.

I hope this doesn't seem complicated. It really isn't.

GarthUte
04-13-2013, 09:09 AM
LA - have you heard of any new add-ons for this latest version of v-bulletin that will help with a total ignore? Greasemonkey had one that worked with the last version, but I've found nothing for this version.

v-bulletin needs to do a better job with it's ignore feature. It's fine as long as someone doesn't quote a poster who is being ignored.

LA Ute
04-13-2013, 09:19 AM
LA - have you heard of any new add-ons for this latest version of v-bulletin that will help with a total ignore? Greasemonkey had one that worked with the last version, but I've found nothing for this version.

v-bulletin needs to do a better job with it's ignore feature. It's fine as long as someone doesn't quote a poster who is being ignored.

I agree. There was a plug-in to vBulletin that worked perfectly but it is not available any longer.