PDA

View Full Version : Will the Ducks get quacked?

Hot Lunch
04-16-2013, 08:57 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9177148/ncaa-oregon-ducks-agree-major-violations-committed-football-program

Rumors have been circulating about this for the past few years so I don't think that anyone is surprised by this. It is going to be interesting how this plays out. At the end of the day, the NCAA has proven that it is corrupt and is unpredictable on how it will handle major violations. Only time will tell.

UteBeliever aka Port
04-16-2013, 09:12 AM
I think the NCAA will do next to nothing with Oregon. The NCAA makes tons of money off of the sales of licensed Nike collegiate apparel.

The NCAA cares about money and they won't bite the hand that feeds them.

Scratch
04-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Nothing significant. NCAA is already saying there was no lack of institutional control and there was nothing unethical. They'll lose a couple of scholarships for a few years. That's it.

Hot Lunch
04-16-2013, 09:44 AM
I think the NCAA will do next to nothing with Oregon. The NCAA makes tons of money off of the sales of licensed Nike collegiate apparel.

The NCAA cares about money and they won't bite the hand that feeds them.

This was actually some of my thoughts as well. The Nike connection and the role it plays in sports will have an impact on what is done to that program.

mpfunk
04-16-2013, 10:02 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9177148/ncaa-oregon-ducks-agree-major-violations-committed-football-program

Rumors have been circulating about this for the past few years so I don't think that anyone is surprised by this. It is going to be interesting how this plays out. At the end of the day, the NCAA has proven that it is corrupt and is unpredictable on how it will handle major violations. Only time will tell.

I think the Ducks will get hit. They are in the Pac-12 and not in a protected conference like the SEC. If the Ducks get only a slap on the wrist, it would be consistent with the SEC schools like Tennessee that had dealings with Lyles.

Solon
04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
I think the Ducks will get hit. They are in the Pac-12 and not in a protected conference like the SEC. If the Ducks get only a slap on the wrist, it would be consistent with the SEC schools like Tennessee that had dealings with Lyles.

The loss-of-scholarships penalties are so weak. After all, the ones who bear the brunt of that penalty are the lower-rated kids who probably won't be pros, and might not be able to pay for college. In other words, the very kids the NCAA-system is supposed to be supporting.

Instead, what about making more creative penalties? Something that would make the games more entertaining while meting out appropriate amounts of shame and punishment?

I think potential penalties for Oregon football should be things like

playing an out-of-state FCS team on the road.
forcing the team to wear traditional drab uniforms for a season (pretty grim; Oregon might prefer the death penalty).
forcing the Oregon offense to throw the ball (no running plays or kicks) for an entire quarter at some point in the season. Opposing D-coordinators will always be wondering which quarter it will be.
mandating that Oregon go for 2 every time it scores a TD for an entire season (think of the late-game hijinks in a close battle!).
mandating that every Oregon player play at least two plays per game, not counting special-teams.
mandating three laterals beyond the line of scrimmage every game.
Etc.

SeattleUte
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM

I agree. The NCAA is prejudiced against atheists. I don't know how else to explain the 2012 Pac 12 basketball regular season outright champ not getting an NCAA tournament invitation, or the flagrant underseeding this year. They're going to throw the book at Oregon even though its sins are less than many SEC schools that get a wrist slap.

Scratch
04-16-2013, 11:15 AM
The loss-of-scholarships penalties are so weak. After all, the ones who bear the brunt of that penalty are the lower-rated kids who probably won't be pros, and might not be able to pay for college. In other words, the very kids the NCAA-system is supposed to be supporting.

Instead, what about making more creative penalties? Something that would make the games more entertaining while meting out appropriate amounts of shame and punishment?

I think potential penalties for Oregon football should be things like

playing an out-of-state FCS team on the road.
forcing the team to wear traditional drab uniforms for a season (pretty grim; Oregon might prefer the death penalty).
forcing the Oregon offense to throw the ball (no running plays or kicks) for an entire quarter at some point in the season. Opposing D-coordinators will always be wondering which quarter it will be.
mandating that Oregon go for 2 every time it scores a TD for an entire season (think of the late-game hijinks in a close battle!).
mandating that every Oregon player play at least two plays per game, not counting special-teams.
mandating three laterals beyond the line of scrimmage every game.
Etc.

Any time a team loses scholarships, I would like to see those scholarships redistributed in some way, preferably within the same conference or region, so that the kids who should be benefiting will still have those scholarships available. You could distribute them within the same conference randomly to teams that haven't been sanctioned themselves over a certain period of years or something like that, but never allow any team to have more than one bonus scholarship per year. If there are too many to go around, they could be distributed to another team randomly or something like that.

NorthwestUteFan
04-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Or they could force the school to use the scholarships on non-revenue sports instead of football.

Diehard Ute
04-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Or they could force the school to use the scholarships on non-revenue sports instead of football.

Since money is no problem at Oregon their non-revenue sports are already fully funded. They couldn't provide more scholarships in those sports.