PDA

View Full Version : Spring signing period begins tomorrow

UtahsMrSports
04-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Nothing too exciting is anticipated for us. We will presumably get signed letters from Ahmad Fields and Princeton Onwas.

The only drama that remains will be Kenneth Ogbe (fairly likely) and Darryl Reynolds (fairly unlikely) and what they decide to do. Reynolds will announce next week. Ogbe I have no idea.

Am I the only one who is REALLY enjoying this relatively transfer-free offseason? Man, I love this team!

SeattleUte
04-16-2013, 09:34 AM
The transfers were demoralizing, that's for sure.

FountainOfUte
04-16-2013, 09:37 AM
It's nice to see our better players stick around and invest in the future instead of seeking their fortune elsewhere. It feels like it's been a long time since that's happened. I guess last year the only players worth a damn stuck around, but after having our worst season in my lifetime that offered cold comfort.

So, not counting last year, I think we've got to go back to the end of Boylen's second year to find a season when our better players stayed. I think that was the year that Nevill would have graduated and Brown would have been coming back after his sophomore year to be joined by a freshman Henderson.

Anyway, it feels like it's been a while since we kept a real core of players.

We still have a long way to go as a program, but I think what we'll see happen this week with Fields, Onwas, and hopefully Ogbe will be the next step in becoming a competitive team again.

#1 Utefan
04-17-2013, 12:27 PM
I'd rather have a Sweet 16 over a regular season conference title anyway. As New Mexico has demonstrated on so many occasions in the past, regular season titles don't meane much if you are incapable or don't advance in the tourney.

LA Ute
04-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Ahmad Fields signing his LOI (http://instagram.com/p/YOBx9UL4FG/).

Fields is a left-handed slashing guard with good ball-handling skills, length and athleticism. He has the versatility to play and guard multiple positions.

Utah's recruiting class tells the story of a team looking for length and athleticism. Fields, DeLon Wright and East High point guard Parker Van Dyke are all guys with excellent size for their positions.

Good.

SavaUte
04-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Looks like this has been a pretty good signing day, makes me excited for next season

Jarid in Cedar
04-17-2013, 07:55 PM
I really like the Ogbe pick up. Helps balance the classes, and if he can play point in the Pac-12, he will be a monster mismatch. We are still back court heavy, but hopefully, that can level out next season. I do like the class balance that this year's additions give us.

Fr-Ogbe, Van Dyke, Fields
So-Olsen, Taylor, Loveridge, Tucker,
Jr-Bach, Wright, Onwas, Kovacevic
Sr-Lenz, Dean, Dotson

I realize one of the Seniors will not be back, but that will be balanced by Van Dyke's trip to the mission field. That will allow us to hopefully start to fill most of our future classes with high school seniors. I realize that there will always be attrition off of rosters every year that will make dipping into the JC pool necessary, but teams should be point by HS players with JC to fill unexpected holes. I really like the direction we are heading. I would like to see 2 HS big men next recruiting class. If that happens, we will be sitting pretty for the forseable future.

Applejack
04-17-2013, 08:34 PM
We are going to be really small next year - God forbid that Jeremy Olsen gets hurt. Either Lenz or Kovacevic will absolutely have to give quality minutes next year. I'm hoping The Big Kopacetic can step right in.

Jarid in Cedar
04-17-2013, 08:38 PM
We are going to be really small next year - God forbid that Jeremy Olsen gets hurt. Either Lenz or Kovacevic will absolutely have to give quality minutes next year. I'm hoping The Big Kopacetic can step right in.

This is why Loveridge will remain at the 4 for the forseeable future. I think that we can compensate for his lack of size at that position if we are able to play bigger than our opponents on the guard line and at the 3. You can be undersized at one position, maybe 2. Trouble last year was that we were undersized every position except center. Our rebounding numbers should improve significantly in 2013-14.

UBlender
04-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Whether they pan out or not who knows, but I have to assume that Kovacevic, Lenz and Bachynski are all going to be expected to be in the rotation next year. None of these guys are being retained/brought in to sit the bench.

UtahsMrSports
04-17-2013, 09:44 PM

Kovacevic is much larger than listed on the recruiting websites. And Bach is big as well.