PDA

View Full Version : 2013-2014 basketball thread

sancho
04-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Start with Wilner's early projections:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2013/04/16/pac-12-basketball-projections-for-the-2013-14-league-race/

I would like to see Utah higher, but I can't argue with this placement.

LA Ute
04-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Oh, well. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Scratch
04-16-2013, 12:31 PM
It's interesting to chart our growth, because (as the Wilner article points out) we joined the league at what was probably an all-time low, and we have been improving at the same time the league as a whole has been improving. This makes it more difficult to measure our improvement. Last year everyone picked us last, right? So it's just an improvement to be picked higher as the league is improving. If we can again best the projections by a couple of spots, it will be a pretty significant step forward.

UtahsMrSports
04-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Interesting. I really think that we will finish better than 10th, but its nice to know that we aren't seen as complete cannon fodder anymore.

I know one thing; nobody is going to come into the huntsman center next year thinking they will win easily. I guarantee that.

SoCalPat
04-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Start with Wilner's early projections:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegesports/2013/04/16/pac-12-basketball-projections-for-the-2013-14-league-race/

I would like to see Utah higher, but I can't argue with this placement.

We could go 7-11 in league, finish 10th yet be closer to 5th than 12th.

W-L is the ultimate indicator in any year, but I think starting this year, we gotta pay close attention to how close (or how far) we are to the teams ahead of us.

UBlender
04-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Saw a tweet that Neal Monson, who was a walkon for Boylen's last year, is off his mission and will rejoin the team (as a walkon again I assume). He's 6'10" and will have five fouls to give if needed to. I know nothing more about him than that, but it doesn't hurt to have another big body around.

Darryl Reynolds is in town. One scholarship still open for 2013-14.

Applejack
04-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Saw a tweet that Neal Monson, who was a walkon for Boylen's last year, is off his mission and will rejoin the team (as a walkon again I assume). He's 6'10" and will have five fouls to give if needed to. I know nothing more about him than that, but it doesn't hurt to have another big body around.

Darryl Reynolds is in town. One scholarship still open for 2013-14.

So what is the scoop on Reynolds? Sounds like we are a finalist, but unlikely to be the winner. Is "playing time" our big selling point?

UtahsMrSports
04-19-2013, 01:06 PM
So what is the scoop on Reynolds? Sounds like we are a finalist, but unlikely to be the winner. Is "playing time" our big selling point?

If thats our selling point its not a very good one. Not many minutes available at the 4 this coming year.

UBlender
04-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Selling points with Reynolds are that he can be closer to his father that lives in Arizona and play in front of him every year. I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches tried to pitch the angle that Loveridge is our best player at PF right now, but that if Reynolds came in and performed well he would be our only true PF on the roster and Jordan would get more minutes at SF. Utah would also try to sell him on the PAC 12 and Utah's "family atmosphere."

SoCalPat
04-19-2013, 05:09 PM
If thats our selling point its not a very good one. Not many minutes available at the 4 this coming year.

We were 10th in rebounding margin last year. Anyone who proves to be even an average rebounder for his position should get solid minutes.

Applejack
04-19-2013, 05:29 PM

I assume you mean that Loveridge is the man at 4. I agree, but you can play him some minutes at the 3 with a quality backup, thereby letting a good 4 get more than simply backup minutes. I have very low regard for Lenz' basketball ability.

SeattleUte
04-19-2013, 09:40 PM
i have predicted Reynolds becomes a Ute. Write it down.

Applejack
04-20-2013, 09:44 AM

We just received the coveted, Seattle-Ute-says-"Write-it-down" guarantee! Break out the victory cigars!

#1 Utefan
04-20-2013, 12:30 PM

Based on what? I hope you're right but we have some significant competition from schools closer to his home.

LA Ute
04-20-2013, 01:32 PM
SU has spoken. I'm afraid that all hope of our ever landing Reynolds is now shot.

UtahsMrSports
04-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Based on what? I hope you're right but we have some significant competition from schools closer to his home.

According to Tony Jones, his father lives out West (AZ, I believe) and he has a VERY strong realtionship with his father and would love to play closer.

In my opinion, its between Villanova and us. Nova may have the edge because a) theyre a better program right now. b) they have had some issues with big men transfers.

And as you mentioned, its closer to home. However, I have been told to not underestimate his relationship with his father. we will see on tuesday!

Utah
04-21-2013, 06:18 PM
I've been a big Kodiak supporter so far, but serious question here. Basketball is a unique sport where one player can be the difference.

Let's say Utah goes out and gets 15 wins again next year. Does the seat get hot?

I understand the Coach K has had to rebuild the program, but with the way this team ended the year, and I assume we will get another weak OOC schedule, should 20 wins be the goal for next year?

I guess my real question is, how many years of finishing in the bottom three in the PAC-12 does Coach K get?

UBlender
04-21-2013, 08:33 PM
For Larry's job to be in serious jeopardy after this next season he has to take a serious step back (as in back to single digit wins). Even then I think he'll see year four more likely than not. Utah basketball has got to get out of the rut of canning coaches every time there is a pair of disappointing season. Another 15 wins in 2013-14 won't bring a parade but I don't think it would be anywhere near enough to start talking about firing the coach.

FountainOfUte
04-21-2013, 10:17 PM
Even then I think he'll see year four more likely than not. Utah basketball has got to get out of the rut of canning coaches every time there is a pair of disappointing season.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Short of a controversy like that of the former swimming coach, Coach LK is here for two more years minimum. After year four, Hill or whomever will have to look at the body of work, consider the circumstances, see where things have come, and where they're likely headed.

Utah
04-22-2013, 01:35 AM
That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Short of a controversy like that of the former swimming coach, Coach LK is here for two more years minimum. After year four, Hill or whomever will have to look at the body of work, consider the circumstances, see where things have come, and where they're likely headed.

I think you do have to do 4 years minimum...not so much because of Larry or progress or lack of progress, but you have to give 4 years if you want any hope of getting a coach in.

That being said, this year is a big year for the Utes. A bottom three finish again...

LA Ute
04-22-2013, 06:42 AM
I think that with the obvious upward trend, it is odd to be looking at Utah basketball in worst-case scenarios.

SoCalPat
04-22-2013, 08:30 AM
I think that with the obvious upward trend, it is odd to be looking at Utah basketball in worst-case scenarios.

It's a fine line we're walking. Obviously, the win streak at the end of the year and the numerous close calls are reasons to be optimistic. But we've also seen spurts like that from our two previous coaches, and a lot of good it did them.

Until Larry does something to earn universal approval and a contract extension, it's a fair question.

We would have to endure a ton of craptacular for Larry not to get to Year 4. But Year 4 would have to result in either an NIT or NCAA berth.

LA Ute
04-22-2013, 09:54 AM
It's a fine line we're walking. Obviously, the win streak at the end of the year and the numerous close calls are reasons to be optimistic. But we've also seen spurts like that from our two previous coaches, and a lot of good it did them.

Until Larry does something to earn universal approval and a contract extension, it's a fair question.

We would have to endure a ton of craptacular for Larry not to get to Year 4. But Year 4 would have to result in either an NIT or NCAA berth.

Fair enough. I continue to believe, however, that there are clear and significant differences between the Krysko program and the prior two. To me, the mere fact that we saw spurts of success from the last two guys too, and they later failed, is not a reason to worry that Krysko will also nose-dive. He and those two guys don't belong in the same discussion. I get it, though -- twice burned, three times shy.

SoCalPat
04-29-2013, 08:17 AM
2013-14 schedule just got a little easier - Roberson of CU is going pro.

CU is still going to be very good with Spencer Dinwiddie and Josh Scott. Instead of being a Pac-12 favorite and darkhorse Final Four team, they'll still be top 4 in league and capable of winning a game or two in the Dance. But yeah, Roberson being gone makes it easier on everyone in the league.