PDA

View Full Version : Good finds on Netflix

San Diego Ute Fan
04-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Netflix is a lot like diamond mining. You have to sift through tons of worthless dirt to get to the good stuff. Every now and then you can uncover a gem.

Last night Mrs SDUF discovered "Eight Men Out" the story of the 1919 Black Sox scandal. This is a terrific baseball movie not to be missed, or viewed again if it has been a while. It's a quality effort from 1988 by John Sayles starring John Cusack, John Maloney (the dad in Frasier), David Strathairn (Seward in Lincoln), Christopher Lloyd, and Charlie Sheen.

If you've never seen the film, give it a look. If nothing else you'll find the real reason the players fell for an attempted fix of the world series.

The film's Rotten Tomatoes rating is 86% by critics and 76% by users.

FountainOfUte
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
I'll have to check that one out.

I agree about the diamond mining comparison. I finally saw "Mulholland Drive." I've heard about it for years, but never saw it. It's as trippy as I've heard. A movie I think I've liked even more *after* watching it as I did while watching it as I've been able to think it through and read about it a little more.

I came across one called "The Well Digger's Daughter," a French film with subtitles that was quite good.

Netflix has also been recommending "Barton Fink" to me for a while, and I finally watched it and liked it. I gave it five stars. Maybe I'd recommend it as a four star to anyone else, but it was kind of in my wheel house, so it got an extra star from me.

LA Ute
04-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Netflix is a lot like diamond mining. You have to sift through tons of worthless dirt to get to the good stuff. Every now and then you can uncover a gem.

Last night Mrs SDUF discovered "Eight Men Out" the story of the 1919 Black Sox scandal. This is a terrific baseball movie not to be missed, or viewed again if it has been a while. It's a quality effort from 1988 by John Sayles starring John Cusack, John Maloney (the dad in Frasier), David Strathairn (Seward in Lincoln), Christopher Lloyd, and Charlie Sheen.

If you've never seen the film, give it a look. If nothing else you'll find the real reason the players fell for an attempted fix of the world series.

Agreed, great movie. John Sayles at his best, working with a great cast and a great story. Not to be missed!

San Diego Ute Fan
04-16-2013, 12:20 PM
I'll have to check that one out.

I agree about the diamond mining comparison. I finally saw "Mulholland Drive." I've heard about it for years, but never saw it. It's as trippy as I've heard. A movie I think I've liked even more *after* watching it as I did while watching it as I've been able to think it through and read about it a little more.

I came across one called "The Well Digger's Daughter," a French film with subtitles that was quite good.

Netflix has also been recommending "Barton Fink" to me for a while, and I finally watched it and liked it. I gave it five stars. Maybe I'd recommend it as a four star to anyone else, but it was kind of in my wheel house, so it got an extra star from me.

Thanks FOU, hopefully we can get more recommendations like these.

NorthwestUteFan
04-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Eight Men Out is great.

I am in the middle of House of Cards right now. I think it is fantastic. Kevin Spacey is simply brilliant. Great writing, excellent cast. Highly recommended.

For comedy, check out That Mitchell and Webb Look. In fact there are several BBC comedies that are very funny (The IT Crowd, Coupling).

FOU, Barton Fink is very enjoyable. The Coen Brothers always manage to squeeze incredible performances out of John Turtorro.

UteStar
04-16-2013, 03:52 PM
If you have not watched the tv show 'Better off Ted' then get watching. It filled a nice void when Arrested Development was cancelled. It was a bit uneven but it was fabulous. How can you not love Portia DeRossi? It would have been nice if it lasted longer than 2 seasons.

FountainOfUte
04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Eight Men Out is great.

I am in the middle of House of Cards right now. I think it is fantastic.

I keep hearing about "Cards." I think I'll like it, I just need to get it started.

OrangeUte
04-16-2013, 06:11 PM
I keep hearing about "Cards." I think I'll like it, I just need to get it started.

it has been hard for me to get into. it's good, but there are other shows that i want to watch more. right now i am Foyle's War - excellent detective story set in Britain with WWII as a backdrop. i've also been watching the Ken Burns WWII documentary and recently finished that. Excellent.

I wish Netflix would add The Wire. I am watching it on HBO Go right now, and it is incredible. Hopefully netflix will pick it up soon because it is literally the best cop drama i have ever watched.

Diehard Ute
04-16-2013, 06:25 PM
it has been hard for me to get into. it's good, but there are other shows that i want to watch more. right now i am Foyle's War - excellent detective story set in Britain with WWII as a backdrop. i've also been watching the Ken Burns WWII documentary and recently finished that. Excellent.

I wish Netflix would add The Wire. I am watching it on HBO Go right now, and it is incredible. Hopefully netflix will pick it up soon because it is literally the best cop drama i have ever watched.

It's HBO that's keeping their shows off Netflix, not Netflix itself.

LA Ute
04-21-2013, 09:44 AM
The movie "Higher Ground (https://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Higher_Ground/70167104?ca_source=gaw&ca_nw=g&ca_dev=t&ca_pl=&ca_pos=1t1&ca_cid=279251585&ca_agid=6199210044&ca_caid=121479084&ca_adid=21942096084&ca_chid=2001704&mqso=80013955&awmatchtype=e&awnetwork=g&awcreative=21942096084&awkeyword=higher%20ground%20movie&awposition=1t1&awexpid=&gclid=CKzS6t7j3LYCFeU5Qgod5QUA5g)" stars and is directed by Vera Farmiga. It's about a woman who joins a faith community when she is young. Over time it just doesn't work for her. The movie does a great job of not taking shots at either believers or non-believers. To me the story is all the more intriguing because Farmiga's parents immigrated from Ukraine before she was born, and she herself was raised in an insular Ukrainian community and in a Pentecostal church. I think she brought a lot of her personal story to the movie.

She said about the movie:

It should have been a lot harder. I'd say, "It's about a woman enmeshed in this very particular spiritual community who's trying to conceptualize and define God for herself". And you use the word "God" and people quake with fear. That's when I started to realize what a touchy, bizarre, sensitive, combative subject matter it is.

NY Times review: (http://movies.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/movies/higher-ground-directed-by-and-starring-vera-farmiga.html?_r=0)

There is something remarkable — you might even say miraculous — about the way “Higher Ground” makes its gentle, thoughtful way across the burned-over terrain of the American culture wars. The film, directed with disarming grace and sharp intelligence by Vera Farmiga (who also stars in it), is about the conflict between skepticism and religious faith, but it does not treat that battle as an either/or, winner-take-all proposition. Movies about belief and believers frequently succumb to woozy piety or brittle contempt, but “Higher Ground” belongs, along with Robert Duvall’s “Apostle” and Michael Tolkin’s underappreciated “Rapture,” among the elect. Focused with sympathetic intensity on the ordeal of a single soul, it illuminates, as though from within, a complex spiritual struggle.

Roger Ebert review. (http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/higher-ground-2011)

It's well worth watching. People who have left their faith and those who have stayed will enjoy it. So will people who simply know people of faith, or who think about faith issues.

It's funny in parts, by the way. Not a heavy movie. Note: I saw the movie on an airplane, so I don't know why it is rated R.

OrangeUte
04-21-2013, 05:49 PM
It's HBO that's keeping their shows off Netflix, not Netflix itself.

This is likely true.

HBO makes good television. Curb Your Enthusiasm used to be on Netflix. That's another great show.

concerned
05-01-2013, 08:34 AM
all these recommendations may be out of date and moot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/01/netflix-losing-movies-may_n_3191985.html

Sullyute
06-19-2013, 05:07 PM
I watched "Miller's Crossing (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100150/)" the other week. Since it is a Coen film I am sure that others knew it was out there, but I just ran across it and decided to give it a try. Great movie. Hardly any swearing, the violence was rather mild, no sex scenes, just a great mob movie with good characters. I enjoyed the movie very much.

jrj84105
06-19-2013, 07:46 PM
I watched "Miller's Crossing (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100150/)" the other week. Since it is a Coen film I am sure that others knew it was out there, but I just ran across it and decided to give it a try. Great movie. Hardly any swearing, the violence was rather mild, no sex scenes, just a great mob movie with good characters. I enjoyed the movie very much.
I don't understand why that movie doesn't get more respect. Thoroughly enjoyable. Reminds me of another under appreciated Gabriel Byrne project- the HBO series "In Treatment". Not sure if that's on Netflix though.

SoCalPat
06-26-2013, 10:21 PM

Eight Men Out was released my senior year of high school, and did good box office as it was released during possibly the best era of baseball movies (The Natural, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams). To refer to it as an "uncovered gem" makes me feel oh so old. I'd just as soon expect my kids to tell me about this great new band they found on ITunes called Led Zeppelin. But I'm glad your wife found it. It is a great movie.

Utah
06-27-2013, 06:17 PM
We watched "Safety Not Guaranteed" the other night. Really, really enjoyed it. It's about reporters who answer an ad looking for a time traveling companion to find out if the guy is serious or not.

Sullyute
06-27-2013, 06:22 PM
We watched "Safety Not Guaranteed" the other night. Really, really enjoyed it. It's about reporters who answer an ad looking for a time traveling companion to find out if the guy is serious or not.

I watched it too a couple weeks ago. I didn't like the ending (I thought it was too cliche) but still really enjoyed the movie.

UTEopia
06-27-2013, 06:40 PM
Not on Netflix, but I have watched two series on Hulu that I thought were very good: The Promise and Prisoners of War. The Promise is a story about a young english girl who travels to Israel with a friend and before doing so finds the journal of her dying grandfather who was in the British military after WWII and stationed in Palestine. Prisoners of War is an Israeli television show about the return of 3 israeli POW's after 17 years in captivity. I have enjoyed both very much.

stretchiute
06-28-2013, 07:18 AM
Recently came across "Suits" on Amazon prime. Suits is the story of a kid with a rough history who talks his way into the practice of law at a White Shoe firm in New York. Problem is he doesn't have a Law Degree. I guess season 3 starts in July.

UTEopia
07-05-2013, 09:17 PM
I just watched a Netflix movie produced and directed by Emelio Estevez called the way. It stars Martin Sheen and is the story of a trek across El Camino de Santiago de Compostela. It was worth watching.

LA Ute
07-05-2013, 09:50 PM
I just watched a Netflix movie produced and directed by Emelio Estevez called the way. It stars Martin Sheen and is the story of a trek across El Camino de Santiago de Compostela. It was worth watching.

I've seen that and fully agree.

Scorcho
10-24-2013, 10:34 AM
I'll second the House of Cards original Netflix series. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright play a powerful DC couple with ambitions of title and power, and both are brilliant in their roles.

This show is unique in that Spacey occasionally stops mid-scene, turns to the camera and gives a short narrative of what he's feeling or additional insight into what's going on at the moment. It's original and I'm sure will be copied by other TV Producers.

Who would have thought Netflix could have produced such quality. This is a great show. It's got a little nudity, some swearing and sexual situations. I'd probably rate it a hard PG-13 or a soft R.

wuapinmon
10-24-2013, 01:26 PM
I'll second the House of Cards original Netflix series. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright play a powerful DC couple with ambitions of title and power, and both are brilliant in their roles.

This show is unique in that Spacey occasionally stops mid-scene, turns to the camera and gives a short narrative of what he's feeling or additional insight into what's going on at the moment. It's original and I'm sure will be copied by other TV Producers.

Who would have thought Netflix could have produced such quality. This is a great show. It's got a little nudity, some swearing and sexual situations. I'd probably rate it a hard PG-13 or a soft R.

I'd call it a hard R when Spacey goes down on someone with little left to the imagination.

Devildog
11-04-2013, 11:29 AM
I just found the AMC television series "Hell on Wheels" on Netflix.

Has anyone else here given this show a go?

I like it! It is about building the Union Pacific Railroad across the West just after the end of the Civil War. Hell on wheels is the encampment that follows the progress of the line as it moves forward. Ambition, Indians, freed slaves, remaining North - South tensions, gunfighters, politics, prostitutes, preachers, blood and whiskey... It's a gritty Western series.

Oh and soon to be... Mormons.

Scratch
11-04-2013, 11:37 AM
Just watched the first 2 seasons of "Sherlock." It's a BBC show with 3 90 minute episodes each season. I can't recommend it strongly enough; it's absolutely fantastic TV. Each episode is like its own movie with some over-arching themes.

LA Ute
11-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Just watched the first 2 seasons of "Sherlock." It's a BBC show with 3 90 minute episodes each season. I can't recommend it strongly enough; it's absolutely fantastic TV. Each episode is like its own movie with some over-arching themes.

We're hooked on it too.

NorthwestUteFan
11-05-2013, 08:53 AM
Yes, Sherlock is fantastic. Benedict Cumberbatch makes Sherlock an exceptionally interesting character, for a sociopath.

FYI, the new episodes begin on Jan 19...

LA Ute
11-05-2013, 10:26 AM
We watched the first two seasons. I don't like it as much as others do. Two of the main characters - Sherlock and Moriarty - are hard for me to like. He's no Columbo, that's for sure.

You're not supposed to like Moriarty!

LA Ute
11-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Well, yeah, he's a bad guy. But you are supposed to appreciate how he's portrayed. You aren't rooting for Hans Gruber, but you love the character. Moriarty is a classic villain, but this whiny, effeminate version makes the show nearly unwatchable. As the opening credits roll, you sit and hope it's not a Moriarty episode.

And you are supposed to like Holmes. This new twist - to portray him as a friendless jerk - is something of a disservice to the character.

Still, the little puzzles and clues are always fun to see.

I think this Moriarty is a chilling, evil, psychopathic personality. I also wish the Sherlock character were less of a freak. He is not easy to like. Fortunately, it's easy to care about the Watson character

Scratch
11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Well, yeah, he's a bad guy. But you are supposed to appreciate how he's portrayed. You aren't rooting for Hans Gruber, but you love the character. Moriarty is a classic villain, but this whiny, effeminate version makes the show nearly unwatchable. As the opening credits roll, you sit and hope it's not a Moriarty episode.

And you are supposed to like Holmes. This new twist - to portray him as a friendless jerk - is something of a disservice to the character.

Still, the little puzzles and clues are always fun to see.

I love the Moriarty episodes. Maybe I can relate to whiny and effeminate.

UTEopia
11-22-2013, 01:49 PM
I liked Sherlock, but my wife couldn't stay awake. Just finished Foyle's War and really enjoyed it. Now starting Damages. Glenn Close still scares me from the movie with Michael Douglas and is it my imagination but does she sometimes look a little like Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire?

OrangeUte
11-23-2013, 07:56 AM
I liked Sherlock, but my wife couldn't stay awake. Just finished Foyle's War and really enjoyed it. Now starting Damages. Glenn Close still scares me from the movie with Michael Douglas and is it my imagination but does she sometimes look a little like Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire?

Foyle's War is a great show. Sherlock is as well. I need to give Downton another try. BBC does good work.

Brian
11-23-2013, 10:18 AM
The IT Crowd. I love that show. Too few episodes. We'll watch them over and over again from time to time. "Work Outing" is by far my favorite episode. Not real high-brow humor, but good British comedy.

Derek. This is a new one by Ricky Gervais. He plays an autistic guy at a retirement home. Karl Pilkington is in it as the maintenance man with totally wicked "Child Molester" hair. This is really well done. Funny, social commentary, and a lot of really touching moments. Highly recommend. There are a few F,S, and C bombs here and there, but not many (2 per show, maybe?). So, buyer beware.

Come Fly with Me: British mocumentary about the airline business with Matt Lucas and David Walliams playing all the roles (both male and female). Loved it.

LA Ute
11-24-2013, 12:47 PM
This looks like an interesting collection. Probably not on Netflix, but maybe at the library.

Spotlight on Americana

Movies have been vividly recording the goings-on in the good ol' USA for the past hundred some-odd years, dutifully documenting our nation's history for posterity. In honor of the anniversary of the United State's independence, we've dug through the Fandor library to find some really special examples of Americana of the cinematic variety. Whether saluting icons like Rose the Riveter and Elvis or celebrating the country's vast, beautiful landscape, each of these films capture a particular quality, facet or theme that is distinctly American.

http://www.fandor.com/spotlights/spotlight-on-americana?utm_campaign=outbrain_spotlightamer&utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=context

OrangeUte
11-24-2013, 04:25 PM
I watched Bernie starting Jack Black. Terrific show. He's a good guy everyone in his small Texas town loves. Funeral Director who gets involved with an older wealthy woman. Ends up killing her when she becomes needy/demanding. Then trial for conviction becomes difficult because folks love him so much. Entertaining dark comedy.

Brian
11-24-2013, 10:28 PM
I watched Bernie starting Jack Black. Terrific show. He's a good guy everyone in his small Texas town loves. Funeral Director who gets involved with an older wealthy woman. Ends up killing her when she becomes needy/demanding. Then trial for conviction becomes difficult because folks love him so much. Entertaining dark comedy.

Saw it a while back. Good show.

Sullyute
09-26-2016, 03:12 PM
I just watched "The Little Prince" on Netflix over the weekend. It is an animated film based on the French book "Le Petit Prince". Excellent. Highly recommend it.

Rocker Ute
09-26-2016, 08:04 PM
I just watched "The Little Prince" on Netflix over the weekend. It is an animated film based on the French book "Le Petit Prince". Excellent. Highly recommend it.

Second. Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthwestUteFan
09-26-2016, 08:19 PM
The Little Prince is a wonderful surprise. Very highly recommended.

mpfunk
10-27-2016, 10:01 PM
God bless you Justin Timberlake and everything you do.

Everything about Justin Timberlake + The Tennessee Kids is awesome. Watch it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

UTEopia
12-13-2016, 09:52 PM
Watching a Netflix original called Fauda. It is a drama about Israelis and Palestinians. Very good.

mpfunk
02-14-2017, 10:22 PM
Michael Bolton's Big Sexy Valentines Day Special. It must be watched with a loved one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OrangeUte
02-15-2017, 08:28 PM
I recently began DamNation, a Patagonia produced documentary on the effects on the land and rivers and wildlife of the numerous dams in our nation.

LA Ute
02-16-2017, 08:39 AM
We've become hooked on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAP1l45L1WY

More here:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80131415

The dialogue is almost all in Norwegian, but once you get used to the subtitles (doesn't take long) it's great stuff and a different cultural look at modern warfare and international relations.

LA Ute
02-28-2017, 05:34 PM
Many of these look interesting:

Hidden gems on Netflix you need to watch

Read More: http://www.looper.com/23055/hidden-gems-netflix/?utm_campaign=clip

Utah
03-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Many of these look interesting:

Hidden gems on Netflix you need to watch

Read More: http://www.looper.com/23055/hidden-gems-netflix/?utm_campaign=clip

Dope was fantastic. Great movie.
Fundamentals of Caring was really good as well. Selena Gomez was great, Paul Rudd was great as well.
Tucker & Dale is probably the best horror film ever made. HUGE twist/different than you'd expect, funny, just FANTASTIC.
Creep - *shudders* Freaking creepy. I jumped many a time. Maybe even peed a little.

One that wasn't on his list that was incredible as well: Housebound. A New Zealand movie, funny, scary, nice twist. Great movie.

NorthwestUteFan
03-05-2017, 12:50 AM
Fundamentals of Caring was written by a local author. I read that a few years ago and loved the book. The movie was very good as well.

Utah
03-12-2017, 10:57 PM
Fundamentals of Caring was written by a local author. I read that a few years ago and loved the book. The movie was very good as well.

I'll have to look that book up. Thank you.

LA Ute
04-07-2017, 09:31 PM
"The Heavy Water War." A historically accurate dramatization of the Nazi effort to develop an atomic bomb. Set in Norway where it happened. Great story of true bravery and espionage. Highly recommended. (It is in English, Norwegian and German, and subtitled; but so beautifully shot you don't notice.)

https://g.co/kgs/ihsYTU

LA Ute
04-15-2017, 10:14 PM
"The Worricker Trilogy." Very well-done series about a quirky but likable British MI5 agent. Bill Nighy stars. It's a conspiracy thriller, very British and you need to pay attention to details. Who the good guys and bad guys are is not always clear cut. First-rate cast. Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter, Judy Davis, Rupert Graves, Wynona Rider, Christopher Walken, Rachel Weiss, many others.

hostile
04-16-2017, 01:58 AM
"The Worricker Trilogy." Very well-done series about a quirky but likable British MI5 agent. Bill Nighy stars. It's a conspiracy thriller, very British and you need to pay attention to details. Who the good guys and bad guys are is not always clear cut. First-rate cast. Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter, Judy Davis, Rupert Graves, Wynona Rider, Christopher Walken, Rachel Weiss, many others.

I watched this about a year ago. Loved it. Great cast. Smartly written.

mUUser
07-11-2017, 10:37 PM
LION is a freebie on Netflix right now.

Scorcho
07-19-2017, 09:42 PM
"The Invisible Guest" is an excellent murder mystery playing on Netflix. It's a Spanish film with subtitles. It was so good I watched it twice.

mUUser
08-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Watched 13 hours for the third time. Could watch it ten more times no problem.

LA Ute
08-04-2017, 04:30 PM

It was well done. I've watched it twice -- once in the theater, once on Amazon.

Rocker Ute
08-04-2017, 04:45 PM

I haven't watched it because... well... Michael Bay. But I might need to check it out.

LA Ute
08-04-2017, 06:06 PM
I haven't watched it because... well... Michael Bay. But I might need to check it out.

To me it seemed surprisingly unlike his typical work.

Rocker Ute
08-04-2017, 06:50 PM
So thanks to VidAngel Amazon Prime content is now available on AppleTV. Wonder how long that will last.

Sullyute
08-06-2017, 03:16 PM
Watching G.L.O.W. on Netflix. Way better than I expected and the 80's music is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NorthwestUteFan
08-06-2017, 08:13 PM
Watching G.L.O.W. on Netflix. Way better than I expected and the 80's music is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProI loved it. The show was gritty, charming, and touching. Marc Maron is outstanding, as is Alison Brie. The entire cast is fun.

I'm looking forward to season 2.

LA Ute
08-26-2017, 10:09 PM
"Jadotville." My son tipped me off to it. Highly recommended. It's a military story, based on a Cold War episode during the troubles in the Congo in the early 1960s. A group of Irish peacekeepers are the stars. It is a great illustration of how screwed up things were during the Cold War, but also quite gripping and inspiring.

It's a Netflix original movie, not a series. Well worth the 2 hours it takes to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JHsiQTTmg

UtahsMrSports
08-27-2017, 09:20 PM
I'm 75% through with the defenders. its been ok.

Mormon Red Death
08-28-2017, 05:08 AM
Atypical on Netflix was light and funny. Definitely worth the time
<br>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHh4U-QYwU

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

LA Ute
08-31-2017, 09:34 AM
"The Wave." A smart, believable Norwegian disaster movie about real people. Excellent. (Subtitles.)

LA Ute
01-28-2018, 05:16 PM
My son finally talked me into watching “Stranger Things.” To my surprise I really enjoyed it. I’m not a huge sci-fi fan but the characters in this one are so well done and do endearing that I was swept up into it. Millie Bobbie Brown’s career is going to be fun to watch. She’s a talent.

https://youtu.be/XWxyRG_tckY

Sullyute
07-11-2018, 07:45 AM
I am currently watching “Dark” on Netflix. It is a German series (subtitled in English) about some missing children in a small nuclear power plant town. It involves time travel (insert obligatory eye-roll) and shows the lives of town members now (2019) and 33 years earlier (1986). It has been really good so far and I love the musical score (lots of spooky and ominous sounds with good eighties music). So if you are in to mystery and crime tv/movies, I highly recommend.

LA Ute
08-24-2018, 11:51 PM
“In Plain Sight” is a Britbox offering, which is available on both Amazon prime and Roku TV. I don’t know if it is available on Netflix. It is a three-episode series about the hunt for first serial killer in Scottish history. It is “based on a true story“ set in the greater Glasgow area in the 1950s, and is one a heck of a good yarn. Highly recommended. There’s nothing flashy, no special effects, just a gritty story of life among normal people in small towns who are terrified by the killer in their midst. The killer is a very interesting sociopath/bad guy. You will need to use subtitles to catch all of the dialogue, because the Scottish accents are thick and authentic.

LA Ute
10-31-2018, 08:19 AM
I watched “Fortitude” on Amazon Prime. Don’t waste your time. The first season was interesting and addictive, with some fine acting (Stanley Tucci and Michael Gambon are always great). The second season was a train wreck, with no character to cheer for (the good guys all die or are stymied in their good intentions) and a bizarre, nihilistic ending. The show hooks you with several clever plot devices and then crashes and burns. Awful television. There will not be a Season 3.

concerned
10-31-2018, 08:59 AM
I just finished watching Godless on the treadmill. I really quite liked it; a good old fashioned western. Jeff Daniels was great as the evil bad guy, who became evil when he survived the Mtn. Meadows massacre as a young child. I really liked Michelle Dockery as the American-=accented widowed rancher surviving with her half-Paiute son. Far cry from Downton Abbey, obviously.

LA Ute
11-02-2018, 08:22 AM
I started watching “Bodyguard,” the new Netflix offering, and liked the first episode. (I’m an elliptical machine guy.) It’s a combo terrorism/politics/ suspense/law enforcement show with interesting plot dynamics and good acting. It’s getting 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and the critics like it:

The British writer Jed Mercurio builds television shows the way the Cenobites build puzzle boxes in the “Hellraiser” movies. Get too close to one, and its intricate mechanism shoots its hooks into you, pulling you through a portal into a gyre of suspense from which there’s no escape.

The latest example of his infernal abilities is “Bodyguard,” a six-episode BBC potboiler whose finale was, according to different measurements, the highest-rated British drama since either the “Downton Abbey” Season 2 finale in 2011 or a “Doctor Who” Christmas special in 2008. Viewers in the rest of the world, including the United States, can see what the fuss is about when the series comes to Netflix on Wednesday. (A second season has not been announced but seems inevitable.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/arts/television/bodyguard-review-netflix.html

UTEopia
11-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Just finished watching The Kominsky Method on Netflix. It stars Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. It is a very clever and humorous series, particularly for someone of my age.

Sullyute
06-24-2019, 11:16 AM
Just watched ‘Bird Box’ on Netflix. It was dumb. Unless you are a huge Sandra Bullock fan, you should pass. Bad plot, unlikable characters, people making terrible choices just to create drama or move the plot along, generally not entertaining.

LA Ute
06-28-2019, 05:55 PM
...people making terrible choices just to create drama or move the plot along....

Is this kind of like the horror movie where you're thinking, "No, dummy, don't go down into the basement! Don't!" and the person goes down into the basement?

Sullyute
07-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Is this kind of like the horror movie where you're thinking, "No, dummy, don't go down into the basement! Don't!" and the person goes down into the basement?

It is more like “don’t let that potential zombie knocking on the door into your house” and “oh no, some side characters steal the family car and disappear for no particular reason other than to make life harder for the rest of the characters” kind of stuff.

Rocker Ute
07-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Check out "The Dawn Wall" if you haven't already. If you saw and liked "Free Solo" this is much better.

Sullyute
08-12-2019, 01:16 PM
Finished the 3rd season of ‘Stranger Things’ over the weekend. Total crap, don’t waste your time. The 1st season is in my top ten of all time, just great TV making. The last season is just terrible.

Scorcho
08-12-2019, 02:51 PM
Finished the 3rd season of ‘Stranger Things’ over the weekend. Total crap, don’t waste your time. The 1st season is in my top ten of all time, just great TV making. The last season is just terrible.

Good to know. I didn't make it through all of Season 2.

I did hear that Mind Hunter Season 2 is out this Friday. Season 1 was excellent.

LA Ute
08-13-2019, 05:45 AM

It was a disappointment. It seems that this happens a lot with successful streaming service series. They don’t know when to quit, and start to run out of ideas.

LA Ute
08-13-2019, 05:51 AM
Don’t waste your time with “Another World.“ I like some science fiction series, and I had a high hopes for this one. But it was so badly written, and the characters so unbelievable, that I’ll never go back. It was not the science fiction aspect that was unbelievable, it was the plot, characters, casting, and the overall premise. It looked expensive to produce, so I wonder what on earth Netflix was thinking.

chrisrenrut
08-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Breaking Bad continuation movie coming to Netflix Oct 11th!!!

UTEopia
09-01-2019, 11:11 AM
This isn't new and it is on Amazon Prime and not Netflix, but I am rewatching Boston Legal. To me, it is one of the funniest and thought provoking shows of all time. The story lines are interesting and the writing is spectacularly delivered by William Shatner and James Spader. Candace Bergen is terrific and the other cast members are perfect.

UTEopia
10-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Just started watching HBO mini-series "Our Boys". It is an Israeli show of the investigation of the kidnapping and murder of an Arab boy a few days after the kidnapping and murder of 3 Jewish boys in Jerusalem. These events occurred in the summer of 2014. We were scheduled to visit in October 2014 and watched closely what was occurring there that summer. We eventually went on the trip. While in Jerusalem an Arab man suspected of involvement in some serious crimes against Jews was killed by police in a raid. We were visiting Hezekiah's Tunnel the day it happened and shortly after leaving the tunnel we heard several bursts of automatic weapons, a lot of shouting and dogs barking. Our bus could not get to our location to pick us up and we were required to enter a former drainage tunnel and walk to an area where it was safe for the bus to collect us. Anyway, the show is excellent. This is the 3rd or 4th Israeli show I have watched and they have all been excellent.

Scorcho
10-09-2019, 08:42 AM
Just started watching HBO mini-series "Our Boys". It is an Israeli show of the investigation of the kidnapping and murder of an Arab boy a few days after the kidnapping and murder of 3 Jewish boys in Jerusalem. These events occurred in the summer of 2014. We were scheduled to visit in October 2014 and watched closely what was occurring there that summer. We eventually went on the trip. While in Jerusalem an Arab man suspected of involvement in some serious crimes against Jews was killed by police in a raid. We were visiting Hezekiah's Tunnel the day it happened and shortly after leaving the tunnel we heard several bursts of automatic weapons, a lot of shouting and dogs barking. Our bus could not get to our location to pick us up and we were required to enter a former drainage tunnel and walk to an area where it was safe for the bus to collect us. Anyway, the show is excellent. This is the 3rd or 4th Israeli show I have watched and they have all been excellent.

ohhh, I'll have to check that out. HBO typically does high quality stuff.

A couple of HBO series that I've watched lately that are excellent:

Chernobyl

The Night Of

UTEopia
10-09-2019, 09:43 PM
ohhh, I'll have to check that out. HBO typically does high quality stuff.

A couple of HBO series that I've watched lately that are excellent:

Chernobyl

The Night Of

I watched Chernobyl and thought it was one of the best things I have watched in a long time. At first I scoffed a little at the lies told by the Soviet government and then I remembered the lies told by the US Govt. throughout Viet Nam.

chrisrenrut
10-10-2019, 08:11 AM
Breaking Bad continuation movie coming to Netflix Oct 11th!!!

Tomorrow! Can't wait!

UTEopia
01-03-2020, 10:31 PM
Just finished watching The Two Popes on Netflix. It was one of the better movies I have seen lately.

Rocker Ute
01-03-2020, 10:50 PM
Just finished watching The Two Popes on Netflix. It was one of the better movies I have seen lately.

Agreed

LA Ute
01-07-2020, 04:25 PM

I was kind of repelled by the concept, seemed like I could expect Catholic-bashing. Looks like should check it out.

Rocker Ute
01-15-2020, 09:29 AM
I was kind of repelled by the concept, seemed like I could expect Catholic-bashing. Looks like should check it out.

I came out from watching that with just the opposite feeling. It was a sympathetic and human look at two very different personalities in context to their vision for the Catholic Church.

That's been made more interesting by Pope Benedict coming out publicly in opposition to some of Pope Francis' thoughts about celibacy etc in recent days.

I also thought it was pretty interesting to watch in context of my own faith and my thoughts and emotions around it.

UTEopia
03-13-2020, 12:59 PM
Gallipoli on Amazon is a good watch.