PDA

View Full Version : Spring game rosters?

SavaUte
04-19-2013, 10:27 AM
Does anyone know where to find the rosters for the spring game? I have seen that Dres and Palepoi are on the red team, but I'd like to know the full thing.

SavaUte
04-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Found them. Utemanforever tweeted it out

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/utah/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/fbredwhiterosters2013.pdf

My money is on red

Devildog
04-20-2013, 05:14 PM
I would have thought the Red team had the advantage on the roster too. Schultz threw some good passes, but Wilson made the better decisions and gave the advantage in real life to the White team.

I took my kid with me and the weather did its best to cooperate during the game. Decent effort, I look forward to next season. There is some talent on this team. Jake Murphy is a Hell of a player.

SavaUte
04-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Schulz definitely started hotter, but overall I think Wilson had the better day. A lot of defensive guys were held out for one reason or another... Palepoi, Blechen, Rowe just to name a few that I saw on the sidelines not wearing pads.

Devildog
04-21-2013, 01:07 AM
I realize that the situation wasn't exactly like game speed, especially with several talented defense players not dressed and with no hitting of the QB... but it was good to see both quarterbacks checking down and finding the open guy for big gains.

codered
04-21-2013, 02:37 AM
I agree. If you base it all on the first two drives, then Shulz was the man. But Wilson was the most consistent and in the end had the better day. That being said, it's dang near impossible to tell who is better. Not only for the reason you mention, but I also think the white D was getting much more pressure on Shulz than the red D was on Wilson. Glad I'm not the coach, that's all I can say.

Schulz definitely started hotter, but overall I think Wilson had the better day. A lot of defensive guys were held out for one reason or another... Palepoi, Blechen, Rowe just to name a few that I saw on the sidelines not wearing pads.

Applejack
04-21-2013, 08:06 AM
I have to admit that last year I thought Schultz was going to be a Spring Ball hero - a guy who didn't have the stuff to play in actual games but who had impressive practices. But it sounds more and more like he will get a real chance to challenge Wilson this year. I have to assume that Wilson will take the first snap of the year, but it sounds from reports like he might have a short leash.

Sullyute
04-21-2013, 10:04 AM
It was a fun game to watch. My kids enjoyed it despite the rain diring the last two minutes. I am high on schulz, but he did have some passes sail a little high in the second half. They also didn't seem to play as a high temp in the second half as they did in the first. I don't know if erickson was just running down the clock with his lead or if the running game was just a little slower?

Diehard Ute
04-21-2013, 03:34 PM
I have to admit that last year I thought Schultz was going to be a Spring Ball hero - a guy who didn't have the stuff to play in actual games but who had impressive practices. But it sounds more and more like he will get a real chance to challenge Wilson this year. I have to assume that Wilson will take the first snap of the year, but it sounds from reports like he might have a short leash.

Given the reports from yesterday, I think Wilson is solidifying his spot.

I also think fans tend to look at passing numbers to judge QB's, forgetting all the other things they do that aren't stat related. I think Wilson holds an edge there

Applejack
04-22-2013, 09:21 AM
OK, someone with a critical eye needs to give us a report of the Spring game. All I have read is the rah-rah-we-have-a-ton-of-quarterbacks-and-all-of-our-running-backs-are-Pac-12-caliber stuff from the local reporters. Can someone who was give me some info on where the rest of the team is? Specifically, how did our LBs and secondary look?

LA Ute
04-22-2013, 09:57 AM
We need UTEopia and others like him who saw the game and have an eye for the details of good football.

utebehindenemylines
04-22-2013, 11:33 AM
I'll throw in my .02.

I arrived mid-way through the 2nd quarter just as Murphy had a huge catch and run down the middle of the field, it was negated by a penalty. Ugh. We sat about 4 rows up on the west side 50 yard line. As I got to my seat both Ken Scott and Denham were standing there talking, they were HUGE. That's what I imagine a Pac 12 WR to look like.

This was my first time seeing Schultz play live. He moves very well, and has great feet. Several times when the pocket collapsed, he stepped up in the pocket and bought himself some time. A few times, he was touched and therefore deemed 'down', but likely would've been able to allude the tackler and gain decent yardage. He throws a great ball but seemed to struggle on his reads, he threw a tipped pass for a pick, also had another sure pick 6 at the goal line that was dropped.

Wilson had great command and looked comfortable. No throws really stood out to me as spectacular, he did squeeze one into coverage to Ken Scott that had some zip. He made good decisions and didn't take any sacks. I think he'll be the guy once fall rolls around and I'm completely fine with that. If he goes down, or struggles, I am confident Schultz can get the job done (I think he's the best Utah backup since Ratliff).

Kenneth Scott looked terrific. He made some great catches in traffic, that post he caught for a TD was beautiful. I think he caught 3 passes on that drive. I'm hoping we can target him 10+ times a game. The rest of the receivers seemed average. McLellon had the great catch and run but dropped at least one and struggled to find space on a screen. I hadn't arrived yet for Dres' big catch, they targeted him a few times, but I don't think he caught any during my time watching.

I break the running backs into two categories: the bruisers (York and Williams), and the slashers (Radley and Poole). The bruisers seemed to bang out 3-4 yards on each carry. I can't think of any big gainers, just consistent. The slashers were exciting, I think we'll see them used more in the pass game. Radley had the big catch and run but couldn't hang onto the ball.

I didn't pay enough attention to the defense to know what was going on.

Overall, I came away impressed with the offense, but I worry about the defense this year. Yes, I do realize most our best defenders were held out.