PDA

View Full Version : What is terror?

tooblue
04-24-2013, 07:33 AM
Yemeni Tells Senators About ‘Fear and Terror’ Caused by U.S. Drones

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/04/yemen-drones-muslimi/

Farea al-Muslimi, who was born in the mountain village of Wessab and educated at a California high school, described a drone strike in the village that took place a week ago. His voice occasionally catching, al-Muslimi told a Senate judiciary subcommittee today that the target of the strike, Hameed Meftah, was well known to villagers, and could have been captured.

A “psychological fear and terror” has now taken ahold of his old neighbors, al-Muslimi said. “The drone strikes are the face of America to many.”

al-Muslimi — who actually livetweeted the strike, although he was not there — said the drone strikes have taken on a terrifying character that other weapons may not share. “The drones have made more mistakes than AQAP has ever done,” he said, using the acronym for al-Qaida’s Yemeni affiliate. Parents in Yemen now tell their children to hurry off to bed by saying they’ll call in a drone strike if they don’t. As human-rights groups have documented, the buzzing overhead of a Predator or Reaper engine as the flying robot hovers has a chilling psychological effect.

Yes, this is a tricky and sensitive subject. But I think it is important to begin to recognize the legacy of President Obama's military policies and their potential rippling affect on the world.

LA Ute
04-24-2013, 07:45 AM
This reminds me of Clinton's bombing campaign in the former Yugoslavia back in the 90s. Drones, like bombing from high altitude, provide a way to kill the enemy without having to endanger or sacrifice American lives, at least contemporaneously. The mistakes and innocent human lives lost are making people uneasy, including me.

Still, the issue is not without complexity. When people make war on the USA, then hide among hospitals and elementary schools, moral blame for "collateral damage" (a term I dislike) is much more difficult to assign.

Diehard Ute
04-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Reality is those who support Al Queda and other groups purposefully use our rules of engagement, along with our 'moral' traditions to avoid women and children against us.

I have talked to many who have been in Iraq and Afghanistan, using hospitals, Mosques, and women and children are done to cause this exact issue. "Collateral damage", a political issue they know is a problem in the states

Obviously mistakes do happen, but sadly there are also many in these areas willing to sacrifice innocents simply for political points