PDA

View Full Version : The Andrew Bogut Thread

LA Ute
02-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Just for fun. He's become quite a moose now in the NBA. Gone is the skinny 7-footer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwoZ9Av37GQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Senioritis
02-21-2013, 04:15 PM
I would like to make it very clear that Andrew Bogut makes my nipples hard.

His dominance quotient was about the same as Mr. Crimson's

For example, not that anyone cares, but his efficiency rating the year he won the Wooden was 28.31. For comparison, the highest efficiency rating for a season I can find is Larry Johnson at 31.94, which was also the per-minute fee of the cocktail waitresses that lured him to UNLV. Luka Drca, heaven help him, had an efficiency rating of 9.10 his Senior year. Terry Nashif's efficiency rating is like negative one million. So, that's kind of the window. Larry Johnson to Terry Nashif.

In fact, Bogut's rating is the third highest I can find of Wooden award winners since 1980, behind Johnson and that goon-faced mouth breather Tim Duncan.

I'm not sure I appreciated Bogut enough when he was here. Before the dark days. Before the Empire. Sure, after Bogut came the also under-appreciated Luke Nevill, who wasn't the second coming of Bogut but was pretty freaking solid, although he did look like he was permanently fifteen minutes into an eight hour Lunesta. And then after Nevill, Washburn. Jason Washburn. Good kid, loud clapper.

So, I guess the point is I would give Marty Johnson's left testicle for another Bogut now, even if he was from Europe, or, so help me, Viewmont.

Also, on the subject of Andrew Bogut, it's time for the 10th annual "Vociferous Complaint About the Totally Moronic NCAA Decision to Delay Bogut's Freshman Year."

The 2002-2003 Utes had the following contributors:

Butter Jacobson
Tim Frost
Britton Johnsen
Marc Jackson
Clubber Caton
Run DMC
Cameron Koford
Chris Jackson

Are you freaking kidding me? Can you imagine what that team would have done with Andrew Bogut in the post? That team had four guys who shot better than 40% from 3, with the CPOY in Johnsen, and athletic freaks like Chaney and Markson. Also, I'll bet that my right thigh has more mass to it than all four of Johnsen and Markson's thighs.

They went 25-8, won the conference, beat Ridnour and Oregon in the first round without Britton, and got rolled by 20 by the sheep herders from Kentucky in round 2.

The point is that Bogut's presence in the post, even at his Freshman level of 13 and 10, would have made that team a remarkably difficult out in the NCAAs. Two years later, Bogut took a team with essentially the same guys (plus the lovable Justin Hawkins) to the Sweet 16, without Johnsen, Jacobson, and Caton.

The NCAA said that one of Bogut's math or science classes from Australia didn't count because it was taken with an abacus or something. Number one, who cares? And number two, Gary Payton qualified.

This was a screw job of the first order, robbing Rick Majerus of another deep tourney run and also gently nudging him closer to the inevitable vortex of doom. If I knew who was responsible for the decision I would hunt him down and give him an incurable case of Herpes Zoster.

But, uh, anyway, Andrew Bogut was really, really good at basketball.

Applejack
02-21-2013, 04:23 PM
Excellent.

Rocker Ute
02-21-2013, 04:28 PM
So wait, what you are telling me is that Majerus hadn't lost his mind and touch at basketball, he just had a ton of bad luck?

Those sort of reminders pain me so.

Interestingly I had a brief conversation through email with a former ute basketball player who I can't name, other than to say he is tall, has dark hair, is devilishly handsome and his name starts with an N and ends with Ate Althoff. He promised to share some great Majerus stories, but also seemed to indicate Maj had mellowed when he was there. I can't possibly even imagine what that would mean.

I'm waiting for my psyche to get to the right place before I ask questions.

Anyway, that Bogut lineup makes me cry.

LA Ute
02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Interestingly I had a brief conversation through email with a former ute basketball player who I can't name, other than to say he is tall, has dark hair, is devilishly handsome and his name starts with an N and ends with Ate Althoff. He promised to share some great Majerus stories, but also seemed to indicate Maj had mellowed when he was there. I can't possibly even imagine what that would mean.

Get Big Nate in here! You now have an assignment. Please return and report.

Rocker Ute
02-21-2013, 04:33 PM
Get Big Nate in here! You now have an assignment. Please return and report.

That felt like something these guys might ask to do.

Okay... I'll do it.

Freaky Girl
02-24-2013, 08:03 PM
Oh Senioritis, I have missed you so!!!

UtahsMrSports
02-25-2013, 08:51 AM

that felt like something these guys might ask to do.

Okay... I'll do it.

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!