PDA

View Full Version : Pulling Pork

Jarid in Cedar
05-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Not that sickos! This thread will be dedicated to the art of pulled pork. I made my first attempt today.

Started with a 7# picnic shoulder. After patting dry, I applied a thin layer of mustard, then applied the rub ( Spade L pork chop and rib rub mixed with natural sugar). Then into the smoker at 0100.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/28/ubu2e7yt.jpg

I then smoked at 225 until internal temp of 170. At that point, I put it in a roasting pan, and started mopping every 30 minutes until internal temp was 190.

Mop was:

1 cup rice vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup apple juice
Paprika, natural sugar, and cayenne (all to taste), and the remainder of the rub.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/28/8a9uzy3y.jpg

Once it was to temp, FTC for 2 hours, 30 minutes rest, before pulling.

Just prior to pulling
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/28/8u8a6eva.jpg

Just after

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/28/ju6a2utu.jpg

This was ridiculously good. I took the drippings in the roster, deglazed the pan with more apple cider vinegar, removed the fat with ice cubes, and used the mixture to make a homemade bbq sauce.

Post your variations, suggestions and and successes with the wonderful world of pork.

wuapinmon
05-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Man, that smoke looks absolutely perfect. Your mop sounds really good too. I think rice-wine vinegar gives things a sweetness that other vinegars can't. That with apple cider is something I'll have to try.

I can taste that smoke all the way across the continent.

Jarid in Cedar
05-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Man, that smoke looks absolutely perfect. Your mop sounds really good too. I think rice-wine vinegar gives things a sweetness that other vinegars can't. That with apple cider is something I'll have to try.

I can taste that smoke all the way across the continent.

The mop was sort of an accident. This was very much an impulse meal (decided at about 11 pm last night to do it). I was planning to do all rice vinegar with the mop, but only had one cup left. The combination really made a kick ass bbq sauce when combined with the deglazed stuff from the pan, and so a happy accident will become a future staple.

kccougar
05-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Expect to hear from DDD's lawyer.

Jarid in Cedar
05-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Expect to hear from DDD's lawyer.

I checked. They forgot to file patent protection.

wuapinmon
05-28-2013, 07:45 PM
The mop was sort of an accident. This was very much an impulse meal (decided at about 11 pm last night to do it). I was planning to do all rice vinegar with the mop, but only had one cup left. The combination really made a kick ass bbq sauce when combined with the deglazed stuff from the pan, and so a happy accident will become a future staple.

If you ever decide to bottle it....."Happy Accident" would be a good brand name.

FN Phat
05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Looks delish.

Jarid in Cedar
05-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Looks delish.

Thanks. All I needed was another obsession.

wuapinmon
05-29-2013, 08:14 PM

It's a happy sickness.

FMCoug
05-30-2013, 02:05 PM

You have no idea. I now own three smokers. In the last week, I have smoked 3 pork butts, a brisket, chicken, ABT's, pig shots, and moinks.

OrangeUte
05-31-2013, 10:12 PM
You have no idea. I now own three smokers. In the last week, I have smoked 3 pork butts, a brisket, chicken, ABT's, pig shots, and moinks.

Fm - is there something different that each grill does?

FMCoug
06-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Fm - is there something different that each grill does?

Not really. I do a lot of big cooks so it is more about capacity. My first smoker was a Bradley electric smoker. I upgraded from that to the Trager and mostly use the Bradley for small things like appetizers now. I recently built a UDS.

Danimal
06-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Not really. I do a lot of big cooks so it is more about capacity. My first smoker was a Bradley electric smoker. I upgraded from that to the Trager and mostly use the Bradley for small things like appetizers now. I recently built a UDS.

How well do the electric smokers work?

FMCoug
06-02-2013, 10:34 AM
How well do the electric smokers work?

The Bradley is fantastic. You're still smoking with wood.