PDA

View Full Version : Commute Times

Two Utes
06-10-2013, 09:45 AM
I had to go out to my dentist's office today in Sandy. On the way back at almost 9:00 a.m. it was stop and start all the way into downtown. I don't regularly deal with traffic, living close to downtown, so it is extremely annoying to me. But my partners constantly assure me that the commute from south valley is not bad at all. Yet, every time I go out to south valley I am stunned how bad the traffic is between 5 and 6 p.m. It usually takes 45 minutes to get from 2100 South to 10600 South. When I mention this to my partners they ALWAYS tell me it never takes more than 20 minutes. Is it a universal thing to lie about commute times or is this unique to Utah?

Mormon Red Death
06-10-2013, 09:48 AM
I had to go out to my dentist's office today in Sandy. On the way back at almost 9:00 a.m. it was stop and start all the way into downtown. I don't regularly deal with traffic, living close to downtown, so it is extremely annoying to me. But my partners constantly assure me that the commute from south valley is not bad at all. Yet, every time I go out to south valley I am stunned how bad the traffic is between 5 and 6 p.m. It usually takes 45 minutes to get from 2100 South to 10600 South. When I mention this to my partners they ALWAYS tell me it never takes more than 20 minutes. Is it a universal thing to lie about commute times or is this unique to Utah?

Its the same thing when you ask people about how hard they work and how long. They will all tell you that they work 50-60 hrs a week and never get a bathroom break but when you see them in action they dont work near that hard.

Two Utes
06-10-2013, 10:06 AM
Its the same thing when you ask people about how hard they work and how long. They will all tell you that they work 50-60 hrs a week and never get a bathroom break but when you see them in action they dont work near that hard.

I hadn't thought about that. Very good point.

FMCoug
06-10-2013, 11:27 AM

It's universal. People in Dallas are the same way.

LA Ute
06-10-2013, 12:28 PM

I work when I want to, about 10 hours a week, mostly from home, depending on what's on TV and whether it's good weather for swimming in the pool. When I do drive to the office the commute takes about 10 minutes.

chrisrenrut
06-10-2013, 12:36 PM
It's universal. People in Dallas are the same way.

I find it's usually the opposite. People exaggerate their commute times, usually to justify being late or get sympathy. I manage a department in the East Bay area, and the commute times there are ridiculous compared to here.

concerned
06-10-2013, 03:06 PM
I work when I want to, about 10 hours a week, mostly from home, depending on what's on TV and whether it's good weather for swimming in the pool. When I do drive to the office the commute takes about 10 minutes.

You have to go to the office? I thought the office came to you,.

FMCoug
06-10-2013, 03:25 PM
I find it's usually the opposite. People exaggerate their commute times, usually to justify being late or get sympathy. I manage a department in the East Bay area, and the commute times there are ridiculous compared to here.

It depends on the context. If the discussions is "why would you live way out in the suburbs" and they are talking about how great the lifetsyle is and the commute is "not that bad" you'll get the shortened version. When justifying being late, bitching about work, etc. you get the long version. It's all about spin.

Reminds me of when I was living/working in Dallas and the company I was working for moved across town (about 45 minutes away). When they presented it to the employees, they included all kinds of maps and commute analyses they had the Real Estate firm do to measure impact to employees based on employees addresses. It was complete bullshit and people openly laughed and mocked it. Spin.

FMCoug
06-10-2013, 03:28 PM
You have to go to the office? I thought the office came to you,.

These days my commute is either to my basement or via airplane. The former rocks. The latter not so much.

SgtUte
06-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Easy. On-duty as I pull out of my driveway. Off-duty as I pull back in, 10 hours later:)

DrumNFeather
06-11-2013, 10:45 AM
I live where the longest commute in the nation is: http://www.examiner.com/article/census-bureau-bristow-va-tops-longest-commute-nation

Uncle Ted
06-18-2013, 08:13 AM
These days my commute is either to my basement or via airplane. The former rocks. The latter not so much.

My commute is pretty much the same. I moved into the city so I would be closer to the airport.