PDA

View Full Version : Pros/Cons of Church Callings

chrisrenrut
06-10-2013, 03:08 PM
I've been team teaching the 5-6 year olds with my wife now for about 18 months. I had previously taught the 8-9 year olds a few years back by myself (before they enforced the two teacher policy).

A couple of things happened yesterday and today that made me reflect on the good and bad of this calling. In no particular order:

Cons:

Not being able to sleep through/play iPad games/skip priesthood and sunday school (kids require your full attention)
Some kids can be real brats
Getting substitutes for sundays you can't be there
Much like exile, not knowing what is going on, any new people in the ward
Primary songs get stuck in your head for the rest of the week (Happy, happy birthday children dear. . . going through my head right now)

Pros:

Sunday only calling. An hour or less of prep, 45 minute lesson, 45 minutes playing reverence police, and I'm done for the week.
Lesson prep is easy, a good story or two, a game, or a picture to color and you're set
Having snacks during class is expected, and I get to choose what they are
Get to know the kids and watch them grow up and develop from afar.
some of the kids can be real angels. One little girl came up and gave me a hug after church, which just melted my heart, and made my week.

Rocker Ute
06-10-2013, 03:33 PM
some of the kids can be real angels. One little girl came up and gave me a hug after church, which just melted my heart, and made my week.

She was picking your pocket... watch our for the sweet ones.

chrisrenrut
06-10-2013, 03:56 PM
At that age, they are just going for candy or loose change, so the reward is worth the risk.

Sullyute
06-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I serve in the elders quorum presidency and here are my pros and cons:

Pros:
- I get to teach once a quarter on any topic of my choosing
- I get to spend time with and support the EQ Pres who is a very good guy
- My opinions have greater sway on who gets what callings or assignments in EQ
- I have keys to the church

Cons:
- My presence at service projects and activities is expected instead of voluntary
- I am supposed to be an example as a home teacher.
- Non sunday meetings and visits
- PPIs

mUUser
01-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Assigned the 6 year olds in primary this year. 10 in the class. Really? I'm a 50 year old curmudgeon that has no patience for weekly string art, cut n paste, coloring, making badges & pins, silly songs etc..... Essentially 2 hours of babysitting. I'VE DONE MY TIME GUYS!!!!!

Does this sound like an inspired calling to you? Ugh...... :swear:

mUUser
01-04-2015, 03:38 PM
I might trade you. I'm in youth sunday school, which I love, but the Church has the same lessons year after year. I'm onto my third round of "The Godhead" lessons in January. In Utah, it's no big deal because the teacher gets a new set of students each year. But in my ward, I have the 14-18 year old class, so this will be the third time around for some of the students. I'm running out of stories to tell! I now have to go off reservation and make up my own topics and lessons, which is a lot more work and which may be a disservice to the new students who haven't been through the manual yet.

Ten 6-year-old sounds like a handful.

I take it all back. It was an inspired calling. I forgot how sweet 6 year old kids can be. Yes, a busy handful but no guile in their being at all. I was wrong. Oh, and there's 12, not 10.

NorthwestUteFan
01-04-2015, 04:40 PM
I take it all back. It was an inspired calling. I forgot how sweet 6 year old kids can be. Yes, a busy handful but no guile in their being at all. I was wrong. Oh, and there's 12, not 10.

The fun thing about kids that age is they have no filter, and thus zero compunction about airing the fun family secrets. My favorite was the child of a seriously holier-than-thou, über TBM-type of Mormon woman explaining how his parents only drink the OK type of wine. And in this case 'OK' did not refer to non-alcoholic.

Hilarity ensued...

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-04-2015, 05:33 PM
The fun thing about kids that age is they have no filter, and thus zero compunction about airing the fun family secrets. My favorite was the child of a seriously holier-than-thou, über TBM-type of Mormon woman explaining how his parents only drink the OK type of wine. And in this case 'OK' did not refer to non-alcoholic.

Hilarity ensued...

This. I was always good at asking really leading questions that have me a fun peek into the ward.

LA Ute
01-04-2015, 11:50 PM
I've been in the bishopric for 10 years and really wouldn't mind a change.

NorthwestUteFan
01-05-2015, 04:27 PM

You need to grow a Krystkowiakian goatee. That will get you released.

arizonaute
01-14-2015, 06:27 PM

I have been in for 1 and a half and I really wouldn't mind a change

DrumNFeather
01-15-2015, 07:05 AM
I teach the 11 year olds in primary and I'm a once a month EQ instructor (conference talks). I could do one of those callings for the rest of my life...and have made that fact known to my friends in the bishopric. :)

Sullyute
01-15-2015, 08:59 AM
I serve in the elders quorum presidency...

Just met with the Stake President last night and I am being released. Apparently they want to "give other Elders a chance to serve and grow." I will miss teaching and not much else.

I teach the 11 year olds in primary and I'm a once a month EQ instructor (conference talks). I could do one of those callings for the rest of my life...and have made that fact known to my friends in the bishopric. :)

We just released our two EQ instructors at the first of the year. They had both taught for over 8 years.

LA Ute
01-15-2015, 10:34 AM

Teaching EQ is one of the greatest callings in the church. Once a month is dream!

Two Utes
01-15-2015, 10:53 AM

Sounds like you need to find some more active Mormons in your community, or it sounds like the church is dying in your community.
Move back to Farmington or Highland/Alpine. You'll never be a bishop again.

LA Ute
01-15-2015, 11:40 AM
Sounds like you need to find some more active Mormons in your community, or it sounds like the church is dying in your community.
Move back to Farmington or Highland/Alpine. You'll never be a bishop again.

The SP doesn't like to release bishops. He was called in fall 2006 and our current bishop has been in ever since. (I had been the first counselor to a prior bishop for about two years prior to this bishop being called.) We've had seven 2nd counselors during that time period and I am the eternal 1st counselor. I keep wondering when I finally will get released. I'm thinking maybe I will take up cussing over the pulpit.

Rocker Ute
01-15-2015, 12:44 PM
The SP doesn't like to release bishops. He was called in fall 2006 and our current bishop has been in ever since. (I had been the first counselor to a prior bishop for about two years prior to this bishop being called.) We've had seven 2nd counselors during that time period and I am the eternal 1st counselor. I keep wondering when I finally will get released. I'm thinking maybe I will take up cussing over the pulpit.

Wow, that is terrible for the bishop (and you, but especially him). Having been neither I can't say, but having talked to some people who have been both consensus seems to be that bishop is way more demanding than stake president. I think most bishops are pretty cooked after 5 years. That has to feel like running a long distance race where the distance is yet to be determined.

LA Ute
01-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Wow, that is terrible for the bishop (and you, but especially him). Having been neither I can't say, but having talked to some people who have been both consensus seems to be that bishop is way more demanding than stake president. I think most bishops are pretty cooked after 5 years. That has to feel like running a long distance race where the distance is yet to be determined.

For bishops I think the wear and tear is from dealing with all the personal messes that people find themselves in, either on their own or from external causes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocker Ute
01-15-2015, 01:37 PM
For bishops I think the wear and tear is from dealing with all the personal messes that people find themselves in, either on their own or from external causes.

Exactly.

On that note, a favorite story of mine. I was an executive secretary, there were two warring families in the ward. They at one time or another had shared a common driveway. It was a constant battle with them, lawsuits and attempting to drag the bishop and ward into it. In fact at one time there was a lawsuit and one side had submitted the ward list as witnesses against the other.

After multiple disputes a wall was put up and the one guy put in a new driveway on the other side of his house, but there were still some flare-ups from time to time and they'd run to the bishop. He'd try to be a peacemaker, I'd always say to him he shouldn't be involved and should kick both of them out of his office.

One day he got word he was to be released the next Sunday. During the week I was at the church with him and they both came rushing in screaming about each other.

He stopped them and said, "I'll tell you what, come to church this Sunday and find out why I don't care."

I was crying with laughter. Best thing I had ever seen. I tell that to brand new bishops and they are appalled. I tell it to old bishops and they think it is the best thing they've heard.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-15-2015, 02:22 PM
I've been a Teacher's Quorum adviser for about three months now and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite callings. Sure the mid week activities can be a bit obnoxious, but with another adviser and presidency member, there's plenty of coverage if something comes up. I teach once a month and the new curriculum gives me the flexibility that I like. Beats the slacks off of any Presidents of the Church of conference talk rehash that I had to stick to in Elder's Quorum.

mUUser
01-15-2015, 03:21 PM

One anecdote.....My old HT'er served in the stake presidency, and was our bishop before that. I asked him which is more taxing and he said serving in the Stake Presidency was more difficult........and it wasn't even close. Not the answer I was expecting

Two Utes
01-15-2015, 03:32 PM
Exactly.

On that note, a favorite story of mine. I was an executive secretary, there were two warring families in the ward. They at one time or another had shared a common driveway. It was a constant battle with them, lawsuits and attempting to drag the bishop and ward into it. In fact at one time there was a lawsuit and one side had submitted the ward list as witnesses against the other.

After multiple disputes a wall was put up and the one guy put in a new driveway on the other side of his house, but there were still some flare-ups from time to time and they'd run to the bishop. He'd try to be a peacemaker, I'd always say to him he shouldn't be involved and should kick both of them out of his office.

One day he got word he was to be released the next Sunday. During the week I was at the church with him and they both came rushing in screaming about each other.

He stopped them and said, "I'll tell you what, come to church this Sunday and find out why I don't care."

I was crying with laughter. Best thing I had ever seen. I tell that to brand new bishops and they are appalled. I tell it to old bishops and they think it is the best thing they've heard.

I had one of my partners tell me that when you are a new bishop and someone moves into your ward you think "I wonder how they can help out?" And when you are an old Bishop and someone new moves into your ward you think "I wonder what their problems are?"

Two Utes
01-15-2015, 03:33 PM
I've been a Teacher's Quorum adviser for about three months now and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite callings. Sure the mid week activities can be a bit obnoxious, but with another adviser and presidency member, there's plenty of coverage if something comes up. I teach once a month and the new curriculum gives me the flexibility that I like. Beats the slacks off of any Presidents of the Church of conference talk rehash that I had to stick to in Elder's Quorum.

I have the wakeup, go get coffee, read the Sunday paper, go to lunch with my family, watch football calling.

Sullyute
01-15-2015, 04:00 PM
How's this for a perk? One of my sunday school students, knowing that my daughters are all named after Beatles songs, gave me this lunchbox for xmas:

Ahem, I think you got a knockoff. The words are all backwards (easy give away). Sorry to burst your bubble.

LA Ute
01-15-2015, 05:12 PM
Exactly.

:clap:

concerned
01-15-2015, 05:32 PM

As a non-member with several close friends who are bishops, I am sure they would agree--marital issues, kid issues, and financial issues above all. The hard part would be knowing so much about everyone in the ward. One of the things I have trouble with (since I attend church with my family off and on) is how much everyone in the ward knows about the lives of everyone else. It has always made me a little uncomfortable. It wasnt like that in the protestant church I grew up in, although that may be because they dont all live in the same nighborhood, attend the same schools, and see and socialize each other all the time.

DrumNFeather
01-15-2015, 05:50 PM
LA, just call a court on someone.

chrisrenrut
01-15-2015, 09:02 PM
How's this for a perk? One of my sunday school students, knowing that my daughters are all named after Beatles songs, gave me this lunchbox for xmas:

I can't let this for without some guesses:

Rita
Lucy
Julia-X
Prudence
Eleanor
Madonna
Maggie Mae
Martha-X
Michelle
Penny
Pam
Sadie-X

mUUser
01-15-2015, 10:58 PM
As a non-member with several close friends who are bishops, I am sure they would agree--marital issues, kid issues, and financial issues above all. The hard part would be knowing so much about everyone in the ward. One of the things I have trouble with (since I attend church with my family off and on) is how much everyone in the ward knows about the lives of everyone else. It has always made me a little uncomfortable. It wasnt like that in the protestant church I grew up in, although that may be because they dont all live in the same nighborhood, attend the same schools, and see and socialize each other all the time.

That might be a Utah/Nevada/Arizona thing. I've been in the same ward 7 years and only have 1 LDS person I socialize with on a regular basis. There's still many in the ward I don't know at all, nor do I care to know. Like you, I value my privacy outside of church.

Applejack
01-16-2015, 09:54 AM
You almost got them all: Penny Lane, Lucy, and Molly Jones

If there is a 4th, she will be Rita. Then Mary. So many good names.

You've got other options too:

Magill (nee Lil, nee Nancy)
Joan/Rose/Valerie (killed by Maxwell)

Applejack
01-16-2015, 09:55 AM
That might be a Utah/Nevada/Arizona thing. I've been in the same ward 7 years and only have 1 LDS person I socialize with on a regular basis. There's still many in the ward I don't know at all, nor do I care to know. Like you, I value my privacy outside of church.

Agreed, this is more about the concentration of mormons in Utah than about the church, generally. I knew a TON about the people in my ward growing up in SLC. I know almost nothing about people in my current ward because I only see/think about them once a week.

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Well, they're finally releasing us next week. Time for a new chapter!

Rocker Ute
01-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Well, they're finally releasing us next week. Time for a new chapter!

They're not throwing you into the bishop role are they? Hope you get a bit of a reprieve, you've had a good run.

For unwanted perspective, my current stake president went immediately from counselor for 5 years, to bishop for 5 years, into counselor in the stake presidency for 9 years and is how stake president. Presuming he goes the full run at SP that'll be 28 years. They'll stick him in the nursery when he's done and he'll run it as a council meeting.

Congrats on the new found freedom.

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 03:43 PM
They're not throwing you into the bishop role are they? Hope you get a bit of a reprieve, you've had a good run.

For unwanted perspective, my current stake president went immediately from counselor for 5 years, to bishop for 5 years, into counselor in the stake presidency for 9 years and is how stake president. Presuming he goes the full run at SP that'll be 28 years. They'll stick him in the nursery when he's done and he'll run it as a council meeting.

Congrats on the new found freedom.

You just made me tired. No, I'm not the new bishop, unless some sick surprise is afoot.

UtahsMrSports
01-25-2015, 04:43 PM
I have been a teacher's quorum advisor for the last 3-4 months or so and I like it. It seems to be a really good age, not too immature, not too cool.

I teach every other week. It has really stretched me for the better, but at the same time, I struggle. Each time I prepare a lesson, I feel like I have a great outline that will flow and make sense and get hte kids involved, and then, I don't know what it is, but I just have a hard time getting what I want to across to the kids. Hopefully that will come in time. Meanwhile, I hope I don't bore the kids to death!

LA Ute
01-25-2015, 04:52 PM
I have been a teacher's quorum advisor for the last 3-4 months or so and I like it. It seems to be a really good age, not too immature, not too cool.

I teach every other week. It has really stretched me for the better, but at the same time, I struggle. Each time I prepare a lesson, I feel like I have a great outline that will flow and make sense and get hte kids involved, and then, I don't know what it is, but I just have a hard time getting what I want to across to the kids. Hopefully that will come in time. Meanwhile, I hope I don't bore the kids to death!

The most unexpectedly difficult calling I ever had was YM president. It's a tougher age to get through to than I thought it would be. Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

UtahsMrSports
01-26-2015, 10:55 PM
The most unexpectedly difficult calling I ever had was YM president. It's a tougher age to get through to than I thought it would be. Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

LA Ute
01-26-2015, 11:54 PM
Well, now I have an interview with the SP later this week. Whatever. Someday I'll get to be Gospel Doctrine teacher. Probably not this time.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-27-2015, 12:08 AM
Well, now I have an interview with the SP later this week. Whatever. Someday I'll get to be Gospel Doctrine teacher. Probably not this time.

Just drop a sympathetic Kate Kelly comment into the discussion.

Diehard Ute
01-27-2015, 05:38 AM
I

I can suggest a good wine or beer to take as a gift ;)

DrumNFeather
01-27-2015, 06:19 AM

I hope it is Stake PR!

mUUser
01-27-2015, 06:54 AM

Trying not to be condescending here, but, it's much appreciated (and admired) to those that put so much time and effort into something that benefits so many others......something I'm unwilling to do right now. In my best Bryan Mills voice, "good luck."

UtahsMrSports
01-27-2015, 07:06 AM
Just drop a sympathetic Kate Kelly comment into the discussion.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!!

arizonaute
01-28-2015, 11:12 PM
LA in your visit give him a couple of suggestions of women that could do his job. Should steer it in the direction you want to go. : )

arizonaute
02-01-2015, 01:54 PM
So LA stake young mens president or high council?

LA Ute
02-01-2015, 03:17 PM
So LA stake young mens president or high council?

Neither of those. To my surprise and dismay I am sworn to secrecy until next Sunday.

Applejack
02-01-2015, 03:19 PM
Neither of those. To my surprise and dismay I am sworn to secrecy until next Sunday.

Sounds like stake athletic director - wait for signing day to pass before announcing.

Rocker Ute
02-01-2015, 05:45 PM

But you got released from the Bishopric today right?

arizonaute
02-01-2015, 06:08 PM
surprise and dismay must mean bishop or stake clerk

Diehard Ute
02-01-2015, 06:14 PM

Did Holmoe at least get a courtesy call?

LA Ute
02-01-2015, 06:15 PM
surprise and dismay must mean bishop or stake clerk

No, I'm very happy with the calling but minutes before I was to be sustained a glitch came up. That's what I was surprised and dismayed about. So we wait a week. I'm not trying to be cute or mysterious, it's just a weird situation. But I get a week off with no responsibilities!

But you got released from the Bishopric today right?

Yep, and for the first time ever I predicted the new bishop right. It is a great bishopric and he's a terrific man -- a former Special Forces guy with one of the sweetest dispositions I've ever known.

LA Ute
02-08-2015, 07:39 PM
High Council. My third tour of duty there. I'll be sustained in Stake Conference in a couple of weeks. The SP had talked about asking me to be a counselor in our YSA ward bishopric, which I think would have been fun. But they decided on this instead. I'm quite fine with it. I'll try not to give boring talks.

Rocker Ute
02-08-2015, 08:15 PM
High Council. My third tour of duty there. I'll be sustained in Stake Conference in a couple of weeks. The SP had talked about asking me to be a counselor in our YSA ward bishopric, which I think would have been fun. But they decided on this instead. I'm quite fine with it. I'll try not to give boring talks.

Congrats. Your life got much easier as you know. I share the same. Today my speaking RM companion didn't show. 18 minute talk turned into 30 with a large smattering of what I hope were funny stories that didn't have much to do with anything.

DrumNFeather
02-09-2015, 08:13 AM

Enjoy!

NorthwestUteFan
02-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Congrats LA. I know you will do good things for your stake.

LA Ute
02-09-2015, 12:26 PM
Congrats LA. I know you will do good things for your stake.

I'll consult with you on talk topics. I may even cite to you: "As my Seattle-based architect friend said on a Utah Utes sports message board last week...."

NorthwestUteFan
02-09-2015, 01:39 PM
I'll consult with you on talk topics. I may even cite to you: "As my Seattle-based architect friend said on a Utah Utes sports message board last week...."

Architect? Man, that one hurts. It sounds so Ayn Rand-ian. Call me Peter Keating.

And I will be happy to throw around some talk topics. Are you in your own to choose, or do they give you a general starting platform?

Here are your first three:
- Euthyphro Dilemma as it applies to how we choose to fulfill our church duties (substituted in this case for 'moral duty'): Is doing the right thing for our fellow man considered to be 'good' specifically because God wills it, or does God will it specifically because it is 'good'? How does this change in light of new revelations? Ergo, if new revelation changes an existing paradigm does that mean that something which was previously 'wrong' is now 'right', and if so does that mean that moral rightness is completely arbitrary? Conversely if the morality of a paradigm does NOT change in light of a revelation related to that paradigm, then does that mean that reality is derived from a non-divine source of values? **Give thus talk when you are ready to get released**
(Probably best to avoid discussing the priesthood/temple ban prior to 1978).

- Peter Abélard's discussion of seeking truth as it applies to religion and our individual spiritual journeys, esp. in the face of challenges to your faith.
Mix in this quote:
"The key to wisdom is this-
Constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at truth."
~Peter Abélard, 1079 - 1142

- Use the following quote as it applies to accepting other people and forgiveness:
"The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them"
~Thomas Merton, 1915-1968

NorthwestUteFan
02-09-2015, 04:35 PM
What the? That's my assigned topic for my sacrament meeting talk this week? How did you?

You should do that. Use both sides of the argument to argue AGAINST...and then FOR... marriage equality.

LA Ute
02-09-2015, 05:24 PM
I found the quote I was looking for. It was Max Frisch:

My German is really rusty. Maybe I'll try a translation tomorrow. Anyone else want to give it a shot?

Google Translate:

That it is the sign of non-love, that sin of his neighbor, or even to make a man a finished picture to say: So and so are you, and you're done "to which Julika, as instructed, turn Stiller can accuse "When you love someone , then allowed to him every facility open and defies all memories just ready to be amazed, to always amazed at how different it is, how diverse and not just like that, not a finished portrait as you you do it from your Julika. "

I know, gibberish. But it was fun!

LA Ute
03-03-2015, 09:57 PM
I am the high council adviser to a ward whose bishop is an actor who played the Savior in a church production (one of the really good ones, IMO). A great guy. Should be fun. Also the adviser to the stake Young Women presidency. I guess I am going to camp!

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-21-2019, 10:52 AM
I realize that he turned down the BYU coaching gig but making him a stake president seems vengeful and mean spirited. Seriously though, I can’t imagine trying to balance these two things.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2019-01-20/navy-football-coach-featured-in-meet-the-mormons-receives-new-call-as-stake-president-48835

LA Ute
01-21-2019, 10:59 AM
I realize that he turned down the BYU coaching gig but making him a stake president seems vengeful and mean spirited. Seriously though, I can’t imagine trying to balance these two things.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/members/2019-01-20/navy-football-coach-featured-in-meet-the-mormons-receives-new-call-as-stake-president-48835

They could’ve made him a Stake patriarch.

Rocker Ute
01-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Seems like nursery has just gone from being one of the most disdained callings to one of the favorites. My wife is in the nursery and went from being ready to be released to never wanting to be released in just three weeks.

Dwight Schr-Ute
01-21-2019, 11:18 AM
Seems like nursery has just gone from being one of the most disdained callings to one of the favorites. My wife is in the nursery and went from being ready to be released to never wanting to be released in just three weeks.

I’ve had a huge attitude adjustment, as well. I went from teaching the 9 year olds on Sunday and having the same boys on Tuesdays for Cub Scouts, to being released from Cub Scouts and despite getting assigned to 5 year old primary, they gave us a third teacher, so not only are we down to 20 minutes of classroom time, but we rotate out every third week. It’s been amazing.