PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Rio Sucks!

FMCoug
02-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Just lifting my leg and marking my territory.

Flystripper
02-19-2013, 10:15 PM
I like where your head is at.

OrangeUte
02-21-2013, 10:59 AM
i am almost convinced that the only place to get decent mexican food is in texas, arizona, new mexico, or from a taco truck.

SavaUte
02-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Lorenas in West Bountiful can't be beat for great Mexican!

Jeff Lebowski
02-21-2013, 11:14 AM
I know a secret about FMCoug. (snicker)

GUBA
02-21-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't mind Cafe Rio for what it is. I realize it is not "authentic" but I quite enjoy some of the stuff they make. I also enjoy "real" Mexican food from other places or our favorite spot in Old Town San Diego.

NorthwestUteFan
02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
GUBA, what place in Old Town do you like? I went to one of the restaurants last time I was down there and was underwhelmed.

GUBA
02-21-2013, 11:43 AM
GUBA, what place in Old Town do you like? I went to one of the restaurants last time I was down there and was underwhelmed.

We have been to a few there but our all-time favorite is Cafe Coyote. Consistently good food and the fresh made tortillas are outstanding!

Flystripper
02-21-2013, 11:44 AM
i am almost convinced that the only place to get decent mexican food is in texas, arizona, new mexico, or from a taco truck.

:confused:

California is the best place for Mexican food outside of Mexico...duh

Diehard Ute
02-21-2013, 12:04 PM

Lonestar Taqueria is quite good. I know the family who runs it, they emigrated from Mexico so it's 'authentic'

LA Ute
02-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Orangeute lives in the far northern reaches of CA. He gets a pass for not understanding. ;)

IdahoUteTroutHead
02-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Some of the best advice I was given was to stay away from Mexican food above the Utah southern border all the way north into Canada, then into Canada.

GUBA
02-21-2013, 12:16 PM
Some of the best advice I was given was to stay away from Mexican food above the Utah southern border all the way north into Canada, then into Canada.

There is no Mexican food in Canada.

NorthwestUteFan
02-21-2013, 12:26 PM

:confused: California is outside of Mexico?

Orangeute lives in the far northern reaches of CA. He gets a pass for not understanding. ;)

He doesn't live in California, he lives in the State of Jefferson...

mpfunk
02-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Lonestar Taqueria is quite good. I know the family who runs it, they emigrated from Mexico so it's 'authentic'

Anyone who thinks there is not good Mexican in Utah has never been to Lonestar, Chungas, or any of the various taco carts.

Virginia Ute
02-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Mmmmm....went and had me some tacos for lunch today at Cafe Rio. Good stuff!

norm
02-21-2013, 03:42 PM
I don't mind Cafe Rio for what it is. I realize it is not "authentic" but I quite enjoy some of the stuff they make. I also enjoy "real" Mexican food from other places or our favorite spot in Old Town San Diego.

Agreed. Just because something's authentic doesn't automatically make it better and just because somethings not authentic doesn't make it bad.

NorthwestUteFan
02-21-2013, 04:24 PM
Mmmmm....went and had me some tacos for lunch today at Cafe Rio. Good stuff!

They are like friggin Zebra Mussels. They will take over the world.

(I actually like the food at CR, but hate the lines and hate that a supposedly 'healthy' salad pushes 1600 calories...)

Mano
02-21-2013, 04:43 PM

The Red Iguana FTW. Really, no place in SLC compares.

big z
02-21-2013, 04:46 PM
Iguana, Chungas and the place across the street from chungas are great Mexican food in SLC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

3UteDad
02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I haven't yet tried any of the taco carts. Are they all pretty much the same, or are some locations better than others? What's best to order?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-21-2013, 07:51 PM

The Tack Bell off I5 in Redding is fantastic.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
02-21-2013, 10:09 PM

Wait, when you bought me lunch last year when I was driving through didn't we go to a Mexican place? :shakeheadindisgust:

OrangeUte
02-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Wait, when you bought me lunch last year when I was driving through didn't we go to a Mexican place? :shakeheadindisgust:

Not my pick. That was Steelblue's place. Then he didn't even eat with us. I took you to the fancy Japanese place. Steelblue is low class. I'm high society.

Virginia Ute
02-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Yep, spreading like wildfire out here in VA.

FMCoug
02-25-2013, 01:33 PM
I know a secret about FMCoug. (snicker)

The Dude thinks that me hating Café Rio but liking soup and breadsticks and Olive Garden is somehow hypocritical or inconsistent. I don't see it that way. CR is not about whether it is authentic or not to me ... it's just crappy food. :)

I'm down with this. To me it's just not good food, authentic or otherwise. If you like it more power to you. See OG point above.

We have been to a few there but our all-time favorite is Cafe Coyote. Consistently good food and the fresh made tortillas are outstanding!

Love Cafe Coyote. Old Town Mexican Cafe is good too.

Jeff Lebowski
02-25-2013, 02:23 PM
The Dude thinks that me hating Café Rio but liking soup and breadsticks and Olive Garden is somehow hypocritical or inconsistent. I don't see it that way. CR is not about whether it is authentic or not to me ... it's just crappy food. :)

And Olive Garden isn't?

Sorry man, your credibility is shot.

Red Blooded T
02-25-2013, 02:35 PM

Lonestar is amazing! I go there most days after skiing. Nothing like a half carne asada burrito or some fish tacos from Lonestar! Two of my good buddies work there and i also know the family running it!

Mrs. Funk
02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
The Dude thinks that me hating Café Rio but liking soup and breadsticks and Olive Garden is somehow hypocritical or inconsistent.

I like Olive Garden's soup and breadsticks, too. The price is right and I just like it, damnit. I also don't mind Cafe Rio. I just think people have seriously inflated ideas about its merit. I normally wouldn't pay for Cafe Rio but I happily ate my share of free Westlaw rep lunches from there during law school.

LA Ute
02-25-2013, 03:04 PM
I like Olive Garden's soup and breadsticks, too. The price is right and I just like it, damnit. I also don't mind Cafe Rio. I just think people have seriously inflated ideas about its merit. I normally wouldn't pay for Cafe Rio but I happily ate my share of free Westlaw rep lunches from there during law school.

The key to understanding is this: One does not go to Cafe Rio for Mexican food. One goes there for Cafe Rio food. I actually like it, but it's no place to go if one is interested in, um, watching one's weight.

FMCoug
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
The key to understanding is this: One does not go to Cafe Rio for Mexican food. One goes there for Cafe Rio food. I actually like it, but it's no place to go if one is interested in, um, watching one's weight.

As I said above, I am fine with that approach. I just think CR food sucks.

LA Ute
02-25-2013, 03:21 PM

I get that. My tastes are pretty pedestrian. You can take the boy out of Sugarhouse, but you can't take Sugarhouse out of the boy!

UTEopia
02-25-2013, 03:32 PM
I like Cafe Rio. For Mexican food I like the vendors in the Sears parking lot, El Chubasco in Park City, Red Iguana and Chungas

Jeff Lebowski
02-25-2013, 03:33 PM

lol. No, you aren't. You are the Cafe-Rio-hater poster boy.

OLIVE. FREAKING. GARDEN.

Just own it, man. You had a good run but it's over.

FMCoug
02-25-2013, 03:52 PM
lol. No, you aren't. You are the Cafe-Rio-hater poster boy.

OLIVE. FREAKING. GARDEN.

Just own it, man. You had a good run but it's over.

OG and CR are both chains that nobody is going to call fine dining. I happen to like some of OG's food and detest CR's. Since we are talking about something that is entirely subjective, there is nothing inconsistent about that.

What I do find humorous and like to poje fun at are the not uncommon "cafe riogasms" that people around here have.

Mrs. Funk
02-25-2013, 07:13 PM

Sure. I agree. Cafe Rio has the haziest claim on the title of Mexican food I can imagine. It's not bad but there are 100 other foods I'd rather blow 1,000 calories on than a sweet pork salad.

Diehard Ute
02-25-2013, 07:37 PM
If I'm going for cafe rio fast food stuff I'd rather go to Barbacoa, better food and I can get beer if I want :D

SuperGabers
02-25-2013, 08:14 PM
1000? Say it ain't so!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

bluegoose
02-25-2013, 08:23 PM
Not my pick. That was Steelblue's place. Then he didn't even eat with us. I took you to the fancy Japanese place. Steelblue is low class. I'm high society.

Hey look. The only high class one of us in redding is the guy that treats all of his buddies to a fancy Diva cupcake at an upscale dessert shop. A DIVA, I say!!!

tooblue
02-26-2013, 07:42 AM
I have never eaten at Cafe Rio. My family in Utah, while I am visiting, has recommended it. But, based upon FM's oft stated dislike of the restaurant I have chosen not to subject my tastebuds to Cafe Rio food. Not yet, at least.

Mrs. Funk
02-26-2013, 08:35 AM
1000? Say it ain't so!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Pork salad with everything is 1010. Sorry, Gabs.

NorthwestUteFan
02-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Pork salad with everything is 1010. Sorry, Gabs.

To be fair, almost 600 of it comes from the green dressing. Go easy on the dressing and avoid eating the taco shell bowl and you can cut out most of the calories.

(and Gabers, PM me if you want the recipe. I think a few substitutions on the dressing could cut out most of the calories)

Mrs. Funk
02-26-2013, 10:06 AM
To be fair, almost 600 of it comes from the green dressing. Go easy on the dressing and avoid eating the taco shell bowl and you can cut out most of the calories.

(and Gabers, PM me if you want the recipe. I think a few substitutions on the dressing could cut out most of the calories)

Sure, but that's not how most people eat it. :)

LA Ute
02-26-2013, 10:21 AM
Go easy on the dressing and avoid eating the taco shell bowl and you can cut out most of the calories.

Killjoy.

Diehard Ute
02-26-2013, 10:33 AM
In the end I think that just proves you can do far better :)

3UteDad
02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned that Cafe Rio has going for it, is you can actually see inside the kitchen as your food is being prepared. After watching several episodes of "Restaurant Impossible", I take great comfort in this.

As a side note, I just realized I may have the best avatar for this thread.

Diehard Ute
02-26-2013, 10:51 AM
One thing I haven't seen mentioned that Cafe Rio has going for it, is you can actually see inside the kitchen as your food is being prepared. After watching several episodes of "Restaurant Impossible", I take great comfort in this.

As a side note, I just realized I may have the best avatar for this thread.

You can see your food at the taco cart too. I've seen where they 'clean' said carts...I'll leave it at that.

And while you can see it, you just see it assembled. You don't see the prep, storage or cleaning.

But that's neither here or there, SL Valley Health Department publishes restaurant inspections online.

3UteDad
02-26-2013, 10:56 AM
You can see your food at the taco cart too. I've seen where they 'clean' said carts...I'll leave it at that.

And while you can see it, you just see it assembled. You don't see the prep, storage or cleaning.

But that's neither here or there, SL Valley Health Department publishes restaurant inspections online.

Thanks, now you've given me paranoia about taco carts too.

FMCoug
03-01-2013, 01:39 AM
In spite of my oft stated disdain for what I call Utah-Mex, I do concur that good Mexican food can be found here. Chunga's and Red Iguana are both decent. Lots of good little holes in the wall in West Valley and the west side of SLC. One place I really like that I can't remember the name of is just off of I-15 maybe around 39th or so ... there is a painting of Bart Simpson on the outside. Great tacos.

A bit harder to find in the UC but you've got Diego's in Provo. El Mexiquense in AF is not bad.

Jeff Lebowski
04-09-2013, 11:06 AM
I live in CO. While driving this weekend I saw that one of the buildings going up nearby will be a Cafe Rio, the first I've seen since moving here. Boooo! I guess the silver lining is that it may draw crowds away from the good places I will eat in. The Denver area is full of good taco stands and even has a hip, expensive taco stand for foodies.

FM is correct about Cafe Rio and their sugar burritos. His opinion on this is in fact truth.

I haven't seen a mention of Beto's here. If you want fast food, Beto's is better and cheaper than Cafe Rio.

And far more likely to give you food poisoning!

Scratch
04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
FM is correct about Cafe Rio and their sugar burritos. His opinion on this is in fact truth.

This is what I've always said. I think CR is fine for most of their stuff, but anything with their "signature" marinated pork is horrible. I tried it once and thought that the employee had thought I had ordered a Skittles burrito. If that's what you really want, you might as well just save a few bucks and throw a tortilla in your microwave with some lettuce, beans, and a bag of Skittles and you'll have the same thing.

SavaUte
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
The best mexican can be found just off the 2600s exit in bountiful. Turn west off the freeway, then take a right. Its in the same parking lot as denny's - called Lorenas.

Betos is a close second.

The burrito carts outside Sears on 800s are third

utebehindenemylines
04-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Had Cafe Rio this weekend for the first time probably 6 months. Got the pork salad... It's no Chipotle.

Wish I didn't have to drive all the way to Bountiful to get Chipotle, but so help me, I'll do it if I have to.

Fake Mexican food heirarchy:
Chipotle>>>>Barbacoa>Cafe Rio>Costa Vida

FMCoug
04-09-2013, 12:06 PM
You guys are really winning me over on this board!

Diehard Ute
04-09-2013, 12:14 PM
I haven't seen a mention of Beto's here. If you want fast food, Beto's is better and cheaper than Cafe Rio.

Or is it Rancherito's, or Mezquite Grill...there are very few places, if any, left with the Beto's name, they've sold most off

There's only a couple I'll go to, the others the kitchen scared me when they called us for something

Diehard Ute
04-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Had Cafe Rio this weekend for the first time probably 6 months. Got the pork salad... It's no Chipotle.

Wish I didn't have to drive all the way to Bountiful to get Chipotle, but so help me, I'll do it if I have to.

Chipotle was THE most overrated food I've ever had. I had a friend hype it like this to several of us, all of us went at her urging, none of us liked it.

I have one 2 blocks from me...but Lonestar Taqueria is only 7, it wins

LA Ute
04-09-2013, 12:17 PM
I like Cafe Rio.

Jarid in Cedar
04-09-2013, 12:19 PM
You guys are really winning me over on this board!

:highfive:

Diehard Ute
04-09-2013, 12:20 PM
I like Cafe Rio.

This explains a lot...

Does your wife know of your lust? ;)

mpfunk
04-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Chipotle was THE most overrated food I've ever had. I had a friend hype it like this to several of us, all of us went at her urging, none of us liked it.

Lonestar is fantastic.

Diehard Ute
04-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Lonestar is fantastic.

Yes it is. My ex-girlfriends family owns it. They immigrated here and opened the restaurant. Killer stuff.

utebehindenemylines
04-09-2013, 12:30 PM

The first few times I went to Chipotle I would've agreed with you. However, it was just a matter of finding what I like. If you get the right thing, it can be delicious and nutritious.

My favorite is the burrito bowl with: chicken, steak, brown rice, black beans, extra lettuce, red hot sauce (hold the cheese, sour cream and guac)
705 Calories, 18g fat, 65g carbs, 67g protein. All for like 10 bucks!

I was in Vegas 2 weeks ago and really enjoyed both these places:
http://www.opentable.com/el-segundo-sol (braised beef tacos were awesome)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g45981-d479753-Reviews-Viva_Zapatas_Mexican_Restaurant-North_Las_Vegas_Nevada.html

Diehard Ute
04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
The first few times I went to Chipotle I would've agreed with you. However, it was just a matter of finding what I like. If you get the right thing, it can be delicious and nutritious.

My favorite is the burrito bowl with: chicken, steak, brown rice, black beans, extra lettuce, red hot sauce (hold the cheese, sour cream and guac)
705 Calories, 18g fat, 65g carbs, 67g protein. All for like 10 bucks!

It's still McDonalds Latin lol

LA Ute
04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
This explains a lot...

Does your wife know of your lust? ;)

She also likes Cafe Rio, so we are good there. I like Chipotle too. Neither Chipotle nor Cafe Rio food is authentic Mexican. I find it tasty, however.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
04-09-2013, 12:35 PM

Barbacoa is, or at least was, far superior to Chipotle. That was my vice in 99 when I was running Video Vern's in Holiday.

Diehard Ute
04-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Barbacoa is, or at least was, far superior to Chipotle. That was my vice in 99 when I was running Video Vern's in Holiday.

Agreed...and Video Vern's, there's something I haven't heard in years

Diehard Ute
04-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Wasn't there a Cafe Rio / Barbacoa lawsuit a while back? What happened there? I thought it was pretty funny that Cafe Rio would think their secret recipe was special. Just add a cup of sugar to a pound of pork and put it in a crock pot.

I know Cafe Rio sued Costa Vida in 2005

I can't be certain, but I think Barbacoa was open before Cafe Rio

Barbacoa opened in 1998 in Salt Lake. Cafe Rio opened in 1997 in St George it seems

mpfunk
04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Wasn't there a Cafe Rio / Barbacoa lawsuit a while back? What happened there? I thought it was pretty funny that Cafe Rio would think their secret recipe was special. Just add a cup of sugar to a pound of pork and put it in a crock pot.

A cup of sugar is being generous, I think the recipe is a pound of brown sugar per pound of pork, add cooks Coca-Cola, and slow cook.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Applejack
04-09-2013, 01:39 PM
I live in CO. While driving this weekend I saw that one of the buildings going up nearby will be a Cafe Rio, the first I've seen since moving here. Boooo! I guess the silver lining is that it may draw crowds away from the good places I will eat in. The Denver area is full of good taco stands and even has a hip, expensive taco stand for foodies.

On a positive note, if you ever have a hankering for large groups of mormons and don't want to go to church, you have your location.

LA Ute
04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
On a positive note, if you ever have a hankering for large groups of mormons and don't want to go to church, you have your location.

Or yo could go to the Red Iguana and get real Mexican food. 454

FMCoug
04-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Or yo could go to the Red Iguana and get halfway decent Mexican food. 454

FIFY.

RI is good for Utah ... I'll give you that much.

Jeff Lebowski
04-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Or if you want really good food, you can go to one of FMCoug's favorites: The Olive Garden.

:rofl:

Newbomb Turk
04-09-2013, 07:05 PM

My take is that Red Iguana gets more kudos than it deserves, and that Cafe Rio gets more bad reviews than it deserves.

I don't know anyone who says that Cafe Rio is authentic Mexican food. But it isn't bad food. And if you like it, why not eat there? Also, I have been to RI, it is good, but in my opinion not any better than other Mexican restaurants in the area.

LA Ute
04-09-2013, 07:08 PM
FIFY.

RI is good for Utah ... I'll give you that much.

I think Red Iguana is kind of a joke. But I know that is a blasphemous statement in certain circles. It's OK, but nothing to write home about.

Newbomb Turk
04-09-2013, 07:09 PM
I think Red Iguana is kind of a joke. But I know that is a blasphemous statement in certain circles. It's OK, but nothing to write home about.

I agree.

Newbomb Turk
04-09-2013, 07:31 PM
I guess it's all a matter of opinion, but the Red Iguana is one of the highest Zagat rated restaurants in Utah, and it's easily the highest rated Mexican place. I routinely see it on lists of nationally acclaimed Mexican restaurants. So the critics definitely disagree with you.

Part of the glory of the Red Iguana is the depth of the menu. There are 6-7 moles and 20 or so other dishes that you would have a very hard time finding at 99% of Mexican restaurants.

My opinion is based solely on what I like. I generally don't care what the critics say. The only time I care about the critics is if they absolutely hate a place that I like, and there is danger of them going out of business. Regarding the mole, we went to RI so my wife could get the mole because she loves it. I don't care for it at all (at any restaurant). That may be part of the reason that I think there is nothing special about RI.

Diehard Ute
04-09-2013, 07:47 PM
My take is that Red Iguana gets more kudos than it deserves, and that Cafe Rio gets more bad reviews than it deserves.

I don't know anyone who says that Cafe Rio is authentic Mexican food. But it isn't bad food. And if you like it, why not eat there? Also, I have been to RI, it is good, but in my opinion not any better than other Mexican restaurants in the area.

Well if yo think Rio should be more highly regarded I think we've established your taste ;)

I spent my summers growing up in rural Northern New Mexico. I ate at residences as well as small restaurants in small towns, amazing food.

The only Mexican restaurant in Utah that's on that level is Red Iguana, not only in the quality but the style of food. Cafe Rio should never be compared to Red Iguana and vice versa. One is a restaurant, the other is a fast food restaurant.

I think the reason Cafe Rio gets so many bad word of mouth reviews is two fold. First, it's fast food that really can be obtained at many similar type places in Salt Lake. But the bigger reason is the hype created for it by so many people.

Newbomb Turk
04-09-2013, 07:56 PM
The only Mexican restaurant in Utah that's on that level is Red Iguana, not only in the quality but the style of food. Cafe Rio should never be compared to Red Iguana and vice versa. One is a restaurant, the other is a fast food restaurant.

I don't believe I compared the two, but okay. Just saying that blasting people for going to Cafe Rio is ridiculous. There are plenty of folks who do that, and also plenty who put RI on a pedestal and ridicule those who don't.

For the record, by favorite "Cafe Rio Type" place was Pistol Petes. I was very sorry to see it close.

SoCalCoug
04-10-2013, 08:30 AM
I think the reason Cafe Rio gets so many bad word of mouth reviews is two fold. First, it's fast food that really can be obtained at many similar type places in Salt Lake. But the bigger reason is the hype created for it by so many people.

The hype is the thing. I heard about Cafe Rio long before I ate there. I do enjoy Mexican food, but it's sometimes hard to know what's authentic Mexican and what's not. With Cafe Rio, that's easy to say - it's not. Maybe that's the reason for the derision. It's such a departure from what people know as Mexican food. I guess it's like how the original Volkswagen Beetle was designed by Ferdinande Porsche - but if you try to equate it with a Porsche, you're going to get laughed out of the building.

Yeah, there's Tex Mex and Cali Mex, but I guess that the real difference is that a lot of the Cali-Mex and Tex-Mex restaurants have a true Mexican influence, while Cafe Rio was started by a caucasian, Mormon couple from St. George and is headquartered in Cottonwood Heights, Utah. For example: one of my favorite Cali-Mex chains is Wahoo's. It was started by brothers who grew up in Brazil, moved to California and became surfers, spending lots of time in Mexico - they brought the Mexican fish tacos they grew to love into California.

Utah Mex, on the other hand, is much more counterintuitive. Cafe Rio is just so white. It's way too sweet, and strikes me as a returned missionary version of "authentic" Mexican food that he sweetens way too much because if he has to be honest, he doesn't really like the taste of the real stuff, but it's the cool thing to be obsessed with your mission food.

utebehindenemylines
04-10-2013, 08:53 AM
but it's the cool thing to be obsessed with your mission food.

"Yeah man, I learned to drink this cool drink, maté, on my mission. It totally tastes like hay, but you get to drink it out of this cool cup with a cool straw."

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 10:24 AM
The hype is the thing. I heard about Cafe Rio long before I ate there. I do enjoy Mexican food, but it's sometimes hard to know what's authentic Mexican and what's not. With Cafe Rio, that's easy to say - it's not. Maybe that's the reason for the derision. It's such a departure from what people know as Mexican food. I guess it's like how the original Volkswagen Beetle was designed by Ferdinande Porsche - but if you try to equate it with a Porsche, you're going to get laughed out of the building.

Yeah, there's Tex Mex and Cali Mex, but I guess that the real difference is that a lot of the Cali-Mex and Tex-Mex restaurants have a true Mexican influence, while Cafe Rio was started by a caucasian, Mormon couple from St. George and is headquartered in Cottonwood Heights, Utah. For example: one of my favorite Cali-Mex chains is Wahoo's. It was started by brothers who grew up in Brazil, moved to California and became surfers, spending lots of time in Mexico - they brought the Mexican fish tacos they grew to love into California.

Utah Mex, on the other hand, is much more counterintuitive. Cafe Rio is just so white. It's way too sweet, and strikes me as a returned missionary version of "authentic" Mexican food that he sweetens way too much because if he has to be honest, he doesn't really like the taste of the real stuff, but it's the cool thing to be obsessed with your mission food.

Bravo! This is the perfect depiction of Cafe Rio hate. It is your garden variety self-loathing of LDS and Utah culture masquerading as hipster foodie condescension.

I am not a big Cafe Rio fan, but it tickles me to see it succeed so wildly and franchise out into other states. The cognitive dissonance this causes is hilarious to watch.

LA Ute
04-10-2013, 10:43 AM

The discussion of this subject has always seemed odd to me. (BTW, the guy who started Cafe Rio was from Bountiful - he's since passed away, and far too young -- in his early 40s). It's just food, and every kind has its buyer, it seems to me. There used to be a place in Bountiful called Casa Melinda, and it was the most Gringo-ized Mexican-themed food I've ever tasted. But my in-laws loved it. So did lots of other Bountiful folks. But we are not talking about Mexican food, we are talking about Mexican-themed food, IMO.

Cuisine evolves. The only place to get "real" (i.e., less-evolved) Mexican-themed food is in Mexico. The same is true of most ethnic dishes. For example, on the very rare occasion when I want a pupusa (Salvadoran), there are plenty of pupuserias in L.A. The more recently the owner immigrated from El Salvador, the more it reminds me of the pupusas I used to eat on my mission. The ones at farmer's markets are the most authentic from that standpoint. But the longer the purveyor has been in the USA, the more creative he or she gets (different ingredients, different type of preparation, oil used for frying, etc.), and the more evolved the food is. I'll bet if I went back to El Salvador I'd find that pupusas are different and more varied now than they were 30 years ago. I could say the same thing about Guatemalan tamales. Or "Italian" pizza, for that matter. When it comes to food I guess I am a firm believer in evolution. ;)

So when I am in Salt Lake and want Mexican-themed food, I can choose Cafe Rio or Chipotle (I prefer Chipotle) or Red Iguana or that place at the Rio Grande terminal. I'll go based on what sounds good to me at the time. But I am under no illusion that I will be getting "real" Mexican food. I'm not even sure what that means, or if I can get it even in Mexico.

End of rant! Not directed at you, SC Coug. Just at the subject in general.

UtahDan
04-10-2013, 10:53 AM
I don't think this is it. I think the derision comes from two places: (1) a counter culture backlash, (2) too much sugar. Many of the people expressing distaste for Cafe Rio like the other un-authentic Mexican places. I know I do.

I occasionally make "Cafe Rio" pulled pork at home if I have an old pork roast to get rid of and no ingredients to make something better. It's not my favorite, but it's alright once in a while. I hate to pay for something I can make so easily and so cheaply myself. I can't make tacos like the taco stands, and I can't make mole like the Red Iguana. I can't even make a chimichanga like Beto's.

For me it's the sugar. But I still enjoy it when we go.

UtahDan
04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
So when I am in Salt Lake and want Mexican-themed food, I can choose Cafe Rio or Chipotle (I prefer Chipotle) or Red Iguana or that place at the Rio Grande terminal. I'll go based on what sounds good to me at the time. But I am under no illusion that I will be getting "real" Mexican food. I'm not even sure what that means, or if I can get it even in Mexico.

Human beings ever wish to distinguish themselves from others. To me, saying you do or don't care for something speaks to your tastes. Saying that you hate something or love it has more to do with identity, as Jeff suggests, even if in a small way.

mpfunk
04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
If you ever want to wish you were at Cafe Rio, go to the "Italian" restaurant started by these same people. I've never had a more disgustingly sweet red sauce in my life.

FMCoug
04-10-2013, 12:21 PM
Bravo! This is the perfect depiction of Cafe Rio hate. It is your garden variety self-loathing of LDS and Utah culture masquerading as hipster foodie condescension.

I am not a big Cafe Rio fan, but it tickles me to see it succeed so wildly and franchise out into other states. The cognitive dissonance this causes is hilarious to watch.

First off I am no foodie nor a hipster. But you are right that aside from the fact that I think the food is disgusting, the orgasmic delight folks around here have over it is what kills me. People who have it as their "favorite restaurant" or squeal in delight when they find out Cafe Rio is catering the work lunch.

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
First off I am no foodie nor a hipster. But you are right that aside from the fact that I think the food is disgusting, the orgasmic delight folks around here have over it is what kills me. People who have it as their "favorite restaurant" or squeal in delight when they find out Cafe Rio is catering the work lunch.

And why do you care? Why on earth would that "kill you"?

Keep in mind that these people probably love the Olive Garden too.

FMCoug
04-10-2013, 12:47 PM

Why do you care that I care?

GUBA
04-10-2013, 12:55 PM
It is hip to hate on Cafe Rio in some circles it seems. I sometimes go there just to kind of say F#$& you to the haters. I also think Crown Burger is terribly overrated but my opinion seems to go against the established food dogma in this state.

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Why do you care that I care?

I think it's funny.

Another question for the hater crowd: why the obsession with Cafe Rio with hardly a peep about Taco Bell? You can't possibly find a more bastardized inauthentic form of Mexican food than Taco Bell and they absolutely dwarf Cafe Rio.

Answer: not a Utah product.

SoCalCoug
04-10-2013, 01:02 PM
The discussion of this subject has always seemed odd to me. (BTW, the guy who started Cafe Rio was from Bountiful - he's since passed away, and far too young -- in his early 40s). It's just food, and every kind has its buyer, it seems to me. There used to be a place in Bountiful called Casa Melinda, and it was the most Gringo-ized Mexican-themed food I've ever tasted. But my in-laws loved it. So did lots of other Bountiful folks. But we are not talking about Mexican food, we are talking about Mexican-themed food, IMO.

Cuisine evolves. The only place to get "real" (i.e., less-evolved) Mexican-themed food is in Mexico. The same is true of most ethnic dishes. For example, on the very rare occasion when I want a pupusa (Salvadoran), there are plenty of pupuserias in L.A. The more recently the owner immigrated from El Salvador, the more it reminds me of the pupusas I used to eat on my mission. The ones at farmer's markets are the most authentic from that standpoint. But the longer the purveyor has been in the USA, the more creative he or she gets (different ingredients, different type of preparation, oil used for frying, etc.), and the more evolved the food is. I'll bet if I went back to El Salvador I'd find that pupusas are different and more varied now than they were 30 years ago. I could say the same thing about Guatemalan tamales. Or "Italian" pizza, for that matter. When it comes to food I guess I am a firm believer in evolution. ;)

No, I hear you. I just don't like how Cafe Rio tastes (or Chipotle, for that matter - by the way, started by a guy from Colorado who went to culinary school in New York, became a line cook in San Francisco, and liked San Francisco-Mex, so he brought it to Colorado - McDonalds was a major investor until 2006), and I hate that my wife and daughter like it and always want to go there.

Believe me, I go to Taco Bell and Del Taco as much as anyone. And I would rather go to either those than to Chipotle.

But my favorite Cali-Mex is definitely Wahoo's. I have been playing with the idea of grabbing a taco from one of those taco trucks in Santa Ana, though.

I always wanted to go to Guadalahonkey's, which used to be somewhere south of Salt Lake. I don't think it's there any more.

SoCalCoug
04-10-2013, 01:04 PM
I think it's funny.

Another question for the hater crowd: why the obsession with Cafe Rio with hardly a peep about Taco Bell? You can't possibly find a more bastardized inauthentic form of Mexican food than Taco Bell and they absolutely dwarf Cafe Rio.

Why do Utahns and California Mormons love it so much (far more than its food quality merits)? Answer: it's a Utah product.

SoCalCoug
04-10-2013, 01:08 PM
I think it's funny.

Also, nobody claims Taco Bell is their favorite restaurant. Or even that it's quality or authentic food. It's cheap Mexican-inspired food that you can grab on the run, or when you have the munchies.

Are you saying they don't have Doritos tacos in Mexico?

SoCalCoug
04-10-2013, 01:09 PM

And Sizzler.

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Why do Utahns and California Mormons love it so much (far more than its food quality merits)? Answer: it's a Utah product.

A Utah product experiencing strong growth outside of the state. Sorry. It's true.

I guarantee you that Taco Bell does far more business in Utah. (Far more than its food quality merits)

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 01:19 PM
And Sizzler.

And Chuck-O-Rama!

FMCoug
04-10-2013, 01:38 PM
I think it's funny.

1. Taco Bell and Del Taco have better food.
2. You don't find people raving about the chance to go to Taco Bell or listing it as their favorite restaurant per the above. Were this so, you would find me
mocking them online too!

I think it's funny too. I guess I care because I considrer my sojourn in Utah my "misison to the poor clueless Utah Mormons"! If I save but one soul it will all be worth it. And it sounds like tooblue has avoided Cafe Rio based on my online rants so I expect a "Well Done Thou Good and Faithful Servant". :)

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 01:50 PM
1. Taco Bell and Del Taco have better food.
2. You don't find people raving about the chance to go to Taco Bell or listing it as their favorite restaurant per the above. Were this so, you would find me
mocking them online too!

I think it's funny too. I guess I care because I considrer my sojourn in Utah my "misison to the poor clueless Utah Mormons"! If I save but one soul it will all be worth it. And it sounds like tooblue has avoided Cafe Rio based on my online rants so I expect a "Well Done Thou Good and Faithful Servant". :)

Bless you for your labor of love.

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 02:37 PM
I rarely eat at either place, but I crave taco bell more often than cafe rio. I like their food more, Utah product or no. Also, taco bell is cheaper and has a drive through.

I will confess, I had a bad experience my first time at a Cafe Rio. My wife and I met a friend for lunch. I had a Utah t-shirt on. There was a Dad there with his family who had a BYU shirt on, and he trashed talked to me the whole time I stood in line, which was quite a long time. It was unpleasant, and it got even worse when I kicked him in the teeth, causing all his kids to break into tears.

I had a worse encounter during the Carthage jail tour when a BYU fan made fun of my 5 year old son for wearing a Utah t-shirt, but I would go back to Carthage jail anytime. So it must be more than just the negative experience keeping me away from Cafe Rio.

It sounds like it is OK to like Taco Bell as long as you DON'T LIKE IT TOO MUCH! Then it is a cardinal sin.

Sorry about those BYU fans. I hope they didn't pour root beer on your head. :(

Scratch
04-10-2013, 02:39 PM
It sounds like it is OK to like Taco Bell as long as you DON'T LIKE IT TOO MUCH! Then it is a cardinal sin.

Sorry about those BYU fans. I hope they didn't pour root beer on your head. :(

Everyone knows they don't sell beer at Carthage jail.

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 02:59 PM
I guess so.

I have enough good BYU fan friends to know I was dealing with outliers. And I've seen the outliers on my own side too. No big deal. I was really steamed at the jail because it was directed at my son. But I realized that if I was going to be mad, it would detract from a once in a lifetime experience. That helped me calm down and enjoy the tour.

We had the same experience (in reverse) at a national park. My wife went into momma bear mode and ripped the guy a new one. You should have seen him backpedal.

UteBeliever aka Port
04-10-2013, 03:22 PM
It is hip to hate on Cafe Rio in some circles it seems. I sometimes go there just to kind of say F#$& you to the haters. I also think Crown Burger is terribly overrated but my opinion seems to go against the established food dogma in this state.

fist bump

Jarid in Cedar
04-10-2013, 03:22 PM
I think it's funny.

Because if I am going to eat a crappy Mexican food knock off, I can stomach paying $0.99 for a taco vs. $7.00+. There is no delusion of quality at taco bell.

LA Ute
04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I will say that there is a Taco Bell close to our house and when I want a quick, tasty dirt-cheap meal, I go there and I enjoy it, doggonit! It is possible to get a reasonably healthy meal there. For example, the Fresco Chicken Burrito (http://www.tacobell.com/nutrition/information) and a Diet Pepsi. Guaranteed to send you on your way feeling happy, healthy and frugal.

(Teen-agers love Taco Bell because they can get tons of cheap unhealthy food there, but that's another story.)

UteBeliever aka Port
04-10-2013, 03:24 PM
Everyone knows they don't sell beer at Carthage jail.

But they do drink wine!

UteBeliever aka Port
04-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Because if I am going to eat a crappy Mexican food knock off, I can stomach paying $0.99 for a taco vs. $7.00+. There is no delusion of quality at taco bell.
ucj
What is wrong with MorMex/UMex? Why is it any more or less acceptable than TexMex/CaliMex/SanFranMex? None of it is "authentic." I've eaten at plenty of what locals would call "the best Mexican" in town in San Diego, LA, Phoenix.... I wouldn't say any of it is any "better" than, say, Red Iguana. Just different. But not really all that much.

Taco Bell is fast food. Of course it will be cheaper than quick service.

Jarid in Cedar
04-10-2013, 03:51 PM
ucj
What is wrong with MorMex/UMex? Why is it any more or less acceptable than TexMex/CaliMex/SanFranMex? None of it is "authentic." I've eaten at plenty of what locals would call "the best Mexican" in town in San Diego, LA, Phoenix.... I wouldn't say any of it is any "better" than, say, Red Iguana. Just different. But not really all that much.

I don't differentiate. MoMex, TexMex, etc. Does it taste good? The trouble I have with Cafe Rio is that I can honestly say that there isn't a single thing on their menu that I like. And if you could see my waistline, you would understand that I am not very picky person. At the other "comparables", there is at least one menu item that like and will order....Mango Shrimp Salad at Costa Vida, Green Chili Chicken Salad, with added jalapenos at Bajio's. At Café Rio, nothing memorable.

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 04:00 PM

A fellow cheapskate!

:fistbump:

Joe Public
04-10-2013, 04:02 PM
I've tried two items at Cafe Rio. I had a shredded beef burrito (enchilada style with a green tomatillo sauce) and a grilled chicken salad (creamy tomatillo dressing). Neither of these items seemed overly sweet to me. Is this what some of you are saying is too sweet?

I thought the food was fine. I also think their tres leches is pretty decent for fast casual.

FMCoug
04-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Now you guys are making me hungry. I haven't had lunch yet ... fortunately there is a Taco Bell right next to the client site I'm at so I think I'll run over there and get some .99 tacos. It's a per diem contract so I'm still cheap on the food thing. That and I haven't discovered Oregon-Mex yet. :)

FMCoug
04-10-2013, 04:17 PM
ucj

Because that food tastes good. And is a MUCH closer approximation to authentic than MoMex. All the variations you menitoned above actually use stuff like jalapeno's in their food for example. ;)

FMCoug
04-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Now you guys are making me hungry. I haven't had lunch yet ... fortunately there is a Taco Bell right next to the client site I'm at so I think I'll run over there and get some .99 tacos. It's a per diem contract so I'm still cheap on the food thing. That and I haven't discovered Oregon-Mex yet. :)

Maybe this is it. I will return and report.

http://www.longboardlouies.com/

Scratch
04-10-2013, 04:43 PM
I've tried two items at Cafe Rio. I had a shredded beef burrito (enchilada style with a green tomatillo sauce) and a grilled chicken salad (creamy tomatillo dressing). Neither of these items seemed overly sweet to me. Is this what some of you are saying is too sweet?

I thought the food was fine. I also think their tres leches is pretty decent for fast casual.

No. Their pork is the absurdly sweet stuff, and has become their signature dish, as far as I can tell. The other stuff is pretty good, I think, as long as you don't mind eating MoMex, which I didn't even know existed until a few minutes ago.

UtahsMrSports
04-10-2013, 04:58 PM
I know I am just kind of jumping in here.........

But there is one reason and one reason only that i keep going back to the centerville taco bell: to write a book.

I have had so many experiences there over the years that would lead a normal person to never go back. but me? I keep going just to see what theyll do next.

The highlights so far:

-Placed my order, waited for about 80 minutes (no typo) in line to get to the window to pay/get my food. Once at the window, I anticipated that the worker would sincerely apologize for my 1 hr+ wait. Nope. First words out of his mouth were (shouting) "ARE YOU GOING TO EVEN GET YOUR FOOD, OR ARE YOU JUST GOING TO DRIVE AWAY!!!!!?!?!?! IM SICK OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

-was welcomed to the drive thru and told that they were out of soft shells, hard shells, chicken, steak, shredded beef, cheese, and lettuce. Honestly. What on planet earth am I supposed to order in that case?

-had an EXTREMELY obese drive thru worker tell me (completely out of the blue) that he had a tattoo on his abdomen and showed me by lifting up his shirt.

I haven't even scratched the surface either.

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 06:26 PM

That's odd. Normally they have a guy there that puts a gun to your head and makes you order the sweet pork.

LA Ute
04-10-2013, 06:52 PM
That's odd. Normally they have a guy there that puts a gun to your head and makes you order the sweet pork.

:D I'll be honest, when I have had my whole family together in Salt Lake and it's been movie or game night, we have been known to send one of us down to the Cafe Rio on 400 South to pick up a bunch of food (including the much-reviled pork salad) and then to pig out on it all while we play games or watch the movie. And we enjoy it. I hereby accept my classification as a food troglodyte. We also really like the Red Iguana but (sorry!) do not consider it a really great Mexican food treat and usually won't wait in line for it.

Slim
04-10-2013, 08:52 PM
I always wanted to go to Guadalahonkey's, which used to be somewhere south of Salt Lake. I don't think it's there any more.

Guadalahonkeys is on 12300 south and about 300 east in Draper. If I'm in the mood for Mexican we either go to Guadalahonkeys or La Fountain ( formerly known as La Puente). Not sure how authentic they are but we like them.

Growing up we used to hit up La Cosina all the time. It didn't hurt that the owners lived across the street from us. Nothing like a Greek family running a Mexican restaurant

SoCalCoug
04-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Guadalahonkeys is on 12300 south and about 300 east in Draper.

Awesome! I'm going to try to go there next time I'm in Utah. Just so I can say I've been to Guadalahonkeys.

LA Ute
04-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Awesome! I'm going to try to go there next time I'm in Utah. Just so I can say I've been to Guadalahonkeys.

It wins the prize for restaurant naming.

FMCoug
04-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Maybe this is it. I will return and report.

http://www.longboardlouies.com/

Stopped by this place for dinner tonight. Pretty much your run of the mill Chipotle-style burrito joint. I'd say Chipotle, Barbocoa, and Costa Vida are all better. It was of course light years better than Cafe Rio. :)

Jeff Lebowski
04-10-2013, 10:41 PM
:D I'll be honest, when I have had my whole family together in Salt Lake and it's been movie or game night, we have been known to send one of us down to the Cafe Rio on 400 South to pick up a bunch of food (including the much-reviled pork salad) and then to pig out on it all while we play games or watch the movie. And we enjoy it. I hereby accept my classification as a food troglodyte. We also really like the Red Iguana but (sorry!) do not consider it a really great Mexican food treat and usually won't wait in line for it.

That's the spirit, LAU. Post it with pride. If FMCoug can admit to liking Olive Garden and if others can admit to liking Taco Bell, then you can certainly admit to liking Cafe Rio.

UteBeliever aka Port
04-10-2013, 11:08 PM
I know I am just kind of jumping in here.........

But there is one reason and one reason only that i keep going back to the centerville taco bell: to write a book.

I have had so many experiences there over the years that would lead a normal person to never go back. but me? I keep going just to see what theyll do next.

The highlights so far:

-Placed my order, waited for about 80 minutes (no typo) in line to get to the window to pay/get my food. Once at the window, I anticipated that the worker would sincerely apologize for my 1 hr+ wait. Nope. First words out of his mouth were (shouting) "ARE YOU GOING TO EVEN GET YOUR FOOD, OR ARE YOU JUST GOING TO DRIVE AWAY!!!!!?!?!?! IM SICK OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

-was welcomed to the drive thru and told that they were out of soft shells, hard shells, chicken, steak, shredded beef, cheese, and lettuce. Honestly. What on planet earth am I supposed to order in that case?

-had an EXTREMELY obese drive thru worker tell me (completely out of the blue) that he had a tattoo on his abdomen and showed me by lifting up his shirt.

I haven't even scratched the surface either.

I had a similar experience as your first one at the TB in Layton near the Walmart. I waited in line for EVER. I ordered. Pulled forward. A couple of cars got in line behind me. I was blocked in. I then waited for 25-ish minutes. I finally got to the window., They handed my my drink. Finally, after about ten minutes, they came out and handed the car in front of me a bag. I was free. I waited another few minutes. nobody came to the window. Finally I knocked on the drive through window. Some kid looked at the window and went back to chatting with some kids at the inside counter. I knocked again. He finally came over to the window to see what the noise was. I knocked again, pointed to my the 32 ounce drink that I was yet to pay for held it up and dropped it. He looked confused. I drove away.

I hate Taco Bell.

UteBeliever aka Port
04-10-2013, 11:10 PM

I never get anything at Red Iguana but the mole. Or the dishes with Mole. The stuffed pork loin with mole is fantastic. So is "puntas de filete" with mole.

I've never had a taco or burrito or enchilada there. IMO, there is one reason and one reason only to go to Red Iguana: Mole.

Scratch
04-10-2013, 11:14 PM
I know Red Iguana is famous for its mole, but I don't like mole (just like I don't like Cafe Rio sweet pork). I tried RI's, and still didn't like it. It's other options are still fantastic, probably my favorite Mexican or faux-Mexican in Utah.

HuskyFreeNorthwest
04-10-2013, 11:28 PM
That's the spirit, LAU. Post it with pride. If FMCoug can admit to liking Olive Garden and if others can admit to liking Taco Bell, then you can certainly admit to liking Cafe Rio.

There are people that don't like T Bell?

scottie
04-11-2013, 12:23 AM
I like the Cafe Rio. I'm divorced and have my kids one night a week; 80% of the time that's where they want to go that night. I'm a pretty healthy eater so I usually order their grilled chicken burrito on wheat tortilla, not enchilada style. Anyone know how many calories there are in a Cafe Rio pork salad with house dressing? My guess is 2500.

NorthwestUteFan
04-11-2013, 01:24 AM
This guy likes Cafe Rio:

utebehindenemylines
04-11-2013, 08:14 AM
I like the Cafe Rio. I'm divorced and have my kids one night a week; 80% of the time that's where they want to go that night. I'm a pretty healthy eater so I usually order their grilled chicken burrito on wheat tortilla, not enchilada style. Anyone know how many calories there are in a Cafe Rio pork salad with house dressing? My guess is 2500.

http://www.caferio.com/uploads/files/47_Nutritional_Information_2012.pdf

There's no way they only put 2 oz of pork in each salad. So more acturately- 420+150+140+130(x2)+120+130+20+50+30= 1320. IF they only put 2 oz of pork in there = 1190.

420 cals for a White Tortilla. WOW!!!!

Joe Public
04-11-2013, 02:20 PM
There are people that don't like T Bell?

I know, right?

HuskyFreeNorthwest
04-14-2013, 04:46 PM
I know, right?

Communists, I guess.

roseparkutes
07-02-2013, 06:36 PM
café rio is good for "fast food" but my favorite Mexican food is chubby's in rose park and red iguana

bestellen
07-22-2017, 09:22 AM
I find it tasty, however.

sancho
07-22-2017, 09:40 AM
I find it tasty, however.

Your tongue is broken.