PDA

View Full Version : Utah-BYU Fans Perceptions of Recruiting

Dawminator
06-28-2013, 11:46 PM
I think it is interesting to consider the different perceptions both Utah and BYU fans have of their respective recruiting. Utah fans think they are starting to pull away from BYU in recruiting. I am one of those fans. I think the objective evidence tends to show this trend. Utah is getting most of the instate talent these days and the best LDS and non-LDS Polynesian talent from around the country. Even some BYU insiders are acknowledging that BYU is falling behind. This is not to say that BYU doesn't get some decent talent each year. But look at last years recruiting class...its filled with mediocre talent. They are going to have to change the way they recruit because a lot of the types of players they used to get who made them successful are leaving the state with big programs coming in and others going to the U. 17 and 18 year old kids don't remember BYU being dominant. If Utah wins the game this year the Seniors that commit in 2015 won't have seen BYU beat Utah since they were 11 years old and only once since they were 9.

And then I read this on cougarboard and I wondered where this guy was getting his information:

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/message.html?id=10798781

GarthUte
06-29-2013, 12:03 AM
That poster is just grasping at straws. He's trying to find any way to make him feel better about the fact that Utah has passed BYU in football relevance.

Applejack
06-29-2013, 09:35 AM
I've been disappointed by the amount of improvement we've had in recruiting since joining the Pac. Don't get me wrong, there has definitely been an improvement, but not as much as I had imagined we would have. The reality is that Utah and BYU don't go head to head for as many recruits as you would suspect. BYU's recruiting is almost 100% LDS kids, regardless of geography (with a few Christian-school kids thrown in for good measure). Utah, on the other hand, recruits by geography - Utah, Texas, and California. The only overlap is when good LDS talent pops up in Utah, Cali, or Texas.

That specific sector (LDS kids in Ut/CA/TX) is where Utah has made noticeable recruiting gains. It has largely come at the expense of BYU. Before the Pac, there was no reason for a mormon kid in Texas to consider Utah - either he would go to BYU, or he would go to a bigger school (Pac-12, Big-12, etc). Now, we can sell the "best of both worlds" message to those kids. For example, I don't think we get the Euless Trio last year if not for the Pac.

The in-state recruiting has really improved for us as well. We don't win every battle for local LDS kids - some are destined for the Y, some want out of Utah - but we win more than we used to. If we could keep the UCLAs, Wisconsins, and Arizonas out of the in-state cookie jar, I would be pleased.

Ma'ake
06-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Really good points made above.

It can be asserted that Utah has had a distinct difference in talent over the past 10-15 years because of the number of players in the NFL, and the record in the series. Player development, spotting "diamonds in the rough" and perhaps imperfections in recruiting rankings, but in the last 3 years we've been winning that battle, too.

We have a really clear idea of what Utah has to do - climb the PAC ladder. Consecutive 0-4 starts are pretty sobering, and we've got to take a step up.

BYU's path remains to be seen. For a large segment of Cougar fans, Utah's promotion to the PAC is still an open wound, and I would imagine with the schedule they've lined up they'll struggle to rack up the wins like the fans expect.

Objectively, if you told me we'd win 3 out of the first 4, I would rather beat Oregon State and lose to BYU, because we simply *have* to get a better start in conference. But, it would be far, far preferable to go into the 2 year hiatus with a win in Provo, and so if I could trade a loss to Oregon State with a guaranteed win over UCLA (or even better, Arizona State), I'd take it.

There's no question we have our work cut out for us in the PAC, but putting a stamp on leaving BYU behind would be really good. Within the dysfunctional perpetual sibling wrestling match we have with BYU, letting them beat us would sting more than the satisfaction of beating Oregon State.

Damn Cougars. This dysfunctional relationship distorts what otherwise would be rational thought.

GarthUte
06-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Damn Cougars. This dysfunctional relationship distorts what otherwise would be rational thought.

It kills me to admit it, but I agree completely. I want to dismiss them, but for Ute fans who are honest with themselves, it just can't be done.

LA Ute
06-29-2013, 07:57 PM
It kills me to admit it, but I agree completely. I want to dismiss them, but for Ute fans who are honest with themselves, it just can't be done.

It's an illness. The current generation needs to pass away before Utedom will be free of it.

UTEopia
06-30-2013, 02:11 PM
Ma'ake, You are the man. I couldn't agree more.