PDA

View Full Version : Morsi ousted by military in Egypt...

GarthUte
07-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Now what happens? (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57592217/egypt-military-president-morsi-ousted-constitution-suspended/) This is the guy who has had Obama's full support for the last year. How will this affect relations between the US and Egypt?

LA Ute
07-03-2013, 03:22 PM
I'm kind of encouraged that the Egyptian people don't like the Muslim Brotherhood. on the other hand, Morsi did win an election and it looked legit.

Someone summon Pangloss!

USS Utah
07-03-2013, 05:32 PM
"Thank you for electing me, I'm your new dictator."

It's shocking that this didn't go over well.

pangloss
07-04-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm kind of encouraged that the Egyptian people don't like the Muslim Brotherhood. on the other hand, Morsi did win an election and it looked legit.

Someone summon Pangloss!

Sorry, I nodded off.

I hope the brotherhood fades into the dustbin of history. I'm glad the people of Egypt rejected them. They had a chance to show their abilities to rule a diverse country and they failed. The Egyptian brotherhood has been the philosophical source and warm body supplier of fanatics for 80 years - or some such. The US has not given them full support by any stretch. The contacts between the US & Egyptian military continued but the government to government connections were cold.

I hope the US senators will shut up for a while about the law requiring the shutoff of US aid to countries where the military took over. In this case, it's a good thing. The military needs to announce a date for elections - or something like that - to calm Levin (?) down. It's a tough situation for the US - supporting a military takeover of a democratically elected government, but I think it could be good for the region and good for the Egyptians. There's an old Arab saying, "Every time a religious fanatic fails an angel gets his wings" (or something like that, my memory isn't what it used to be).

The other good milestone was the election of Rouhani in Iran. He is not a moderate by any means, but he isn't a complete wacko like Ahmadinejad. And the supreme leader, Ayatolla Khamenei is still in charge and still nuts. But I think (hope) Rouhani will be willing and given some latitude to negotiate. The economic sanctions may prove to be exactly the right course. A less level headed president may have already joined with Netanyahu and attacked Iran's nuke sites. Rouhani's election may have avoided a war. Let's hope.

The region remains screwed up, but I think those two events give some hope.