PDA

View Full Version : THIS.... absolutely has to to change.. it HAS to....

TheMightyAlaskanUte
07-09-2013, 09:07 AM
"Utah has thrown for more than 250 yards only twice since joining the Pac-12, doing so in losses to Arizona (2012) and Washington (2011)"

^^^^ That is pathetic. We cannot expect to compete at all in this league if we have that kind of anemic offensive production..

sancho
07-09-2013, 09:12 AM
"Utah has thrown for more than 250 yards only twice since joining the Pac-12, doing so in losses to Arizona (2012) and Washington (2011)"

I know it's been bad - hard to believe it's been that bad. My heart believes we can improve that this year, but my head saw too much of Wilson last season to go all in.

Jarid in Cedar
07-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Hays never topped 200 yards in his entire career.

LA Ute
07-09-2013, 10:12 AM
I know it's been bad - hard to believe it's been that bad. My heart believes we can improve that this year, but my head saw too much of Wilson last season to go all in.

I agree we should be cautious. The one strand of hope I cling to comes from my memories of Brian Johnson, who was pretty mediocre in his early years. The downside of that one is that Brian was not really a very effective QB until his senior year. We need Wilson to step up much sooner than that.

sancho
07-09-2013, 10:19 AM
I agree we should be cautious. The one strand of hope I cling to comes from my memories of Brian Johnson, who was pretty mediocre in his early years. The downside of that one is that Brian was not really a very effective QB until his senior year. We need Wilson to step up much sooner than that.

Some freshman come in, and you can see greatness from day one. That is not Wilson. Others struggle as freshmen but develop into something great. That's the hope. Others never put it together. That's the fear.

The last time I truly felt excited about our QB position was the bowl game vs Cal - far and away Wynn's best game as a Ute in my opinion. I really thought/hoped something clicked in him after the pick 6 in that game.

UtahsMrSports
07-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea it was like that!!!!!!!! Yeah, I really hope we hit that in most games this year.

sancho
07-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Wow!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea it was like that!!!!!!!! Yeah, I really hope we hit that in most games this year.

There are some good reasons - QB injury, constant change in offensive coaching staff, indecisiveness regarding our offensive identity. But our bad numbers came at a time when offenses all around the nation were popping out huge stats.

Utah
07-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Anyone who thought Wilson would be great from day 1 is crazy. Every scouting report said this guy had a ceiling of Drew Bledsoe, but needed time to develop more. The kid is 19. Freshman and Sophomore QB's suck. It's just the way it is. Just because they suck as Fresh or Soph, doesn't mean they won't be good.

How different would this team be if Wynn had never gotten hurt? That screwed us over big time.

SeaTacUte
07-09-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm really disappointed in the coaching staff that put the Utes in the position of having to rely on such young and inexperienced QB's to lead the team. Seriously, every other program has a jr/sr experienced QB with lower classmen QB's learning the ropes. We're the only one's staring at our most experienced guy being a sophomore who has only started 7 games and was suspect at best. Not a good way to recruit or plan your QB rotations.

Diehard Ute
07-09-2013, 03:51 PM
I'm really disappointed in the coaching staff that put the Utes in the position of having to rely on such young and inexperienced QB's to lead the team. Seriously, every other program has a jr/sr experienced QB with lower classmen QB's learning the ropes. We're the only one's staring at our most experienced guy being a sophomore who has only started 7 games and was suspect at best. Not a good way to recruit or plan your QB rotations.

So you feel they should have predicted Wynn's weak shoulder and had a upperclass starter that was willing to ride the bench in the hopes Wynn would get knocked out?

LA Ute
07-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Wynn getting hurt exposed a combination of terrible luck and bad planning in recruiting QBs. It was a very bad mistake to allow ourselves to be put in that position. It seems very clear that Kyle has learned from that experience.

SeaTacUte
07-09-2013, 04:15 PM
So you feel they should have predicted Wynn's weak shoulder and had a upperclass starter that was willing to ride the bench in the hopes Wynn would get knocked out?

As a matter of fact, yes. It was glaringly obvious from the first game that Wynn wasn't the player he was before. The coaches did the team no favors by playing favorites (which Whittingham regularly does to a fault) with a guy who clearly didn't have the physical capabilities to continue. Hays went 6-3 and won a bowl game the previous year. Wynn should have been i.d.'d in training camp as being not physically able to perform, Hays should have started and played the season with Wilson learning from the bench. Seriously - there were some ridiculously bad QB decisions made last year by the coaching staff. And it couldn't have hurt to find a JUCO QB to bring in as backup or even starter, either.

Diehard Ute
07-09-2013, 04:17 PM
As a matter of fact, yes. It was glaringly obvious from the first game that Wynn wasn't the player he was before. The coaches did the team no favors by playing favorites (which Whittingham regularly does to a fault) with a guy who clearly didn't have the physical capabilities to continue. Hays went 6-3 and won a bowl game the previous year. Wynn should have been i.d.'d in training camp as being not physically able to perform, Hays should have started and played the season with Wilson learning from the bench. Seriously - there were some ridiculously bad QB decisions made last year by the coaching staff. And it couldn't have hurt to find a JUCO QB to bring in as backup or even starter, either.

If you think Hays was the answer you've said all you need to say

SeaTacUte
07-09-2013, 04:29 PM
If you think Hays was the answer you've said all you need to say

Hays was a better answer than a crippled QB who was the coaches "favorite" and a true freshman kid who had no PAC-12 game experience. Any particular reason you're deliberately ignoring Hay's previous season 6-3 and a bowl win record?

SoCalPat
07-09-2013, 04:39 PM

All of this goes back to benching Terrence Cain in favor of Wynn. Cain was the upperclass starter we had in the system, and all he did was go 6-1 as a starter.

USS Utah
07-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Wynn's problems last year were less physical and more mental, which probably didn't become clear until that first half against Utah State when he appeared to be playing with PTSD.

Additionally, Hays and Utah do not go 6-3 without John White IV. Maybe the coaches stick with Hays a little longer if not for the Wolfman's injury.

jrj84105
07-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Wynn's injury in 2012 should not have been a surprise to anyone, and it should also have been recognized that post-injury Wynn, even if he remained "healthy" would never be as productive as he was against Cal and later ISU. With his small stature, immobility, low release point, and reduced velocity he was no longer a legitimate DI QB. I could not and still do not understand how people thought otherwise.

Wynn should have lost the starting role following his 2011 injury, and we should have been aggressively pursuing a transfer QB to compete with Hays to start the 2012 season and another transfer to compete for this season. This opinion was floated by plenty of people following the 2011 season, but was largely rejected.

PS: I think the PTSD effect first showed itself during the ND game in 2010. I was very relieved that Chow brought in Hays for 2011.

USS Utah
07-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Wynn's injury in 2012 should not have been a surprise to anyone, and it should also have been recognized that post-injury Wynn, even if he remained "healthy" would never be as productive as he was against Cal and later ISU. With his small stature, immobility, low release point, and reduced velocity he was no longer a legitimate DI QB. I could not and still do not understand how people thought otherwise.

Wynn should have lost the starting role following his 2011 injury, and we should have been aggressively pursuing a transfer QB to compete with Hays to start the 2012 season and another transfer to compete for this season. This opinion was floated by plenty of people following the 2011 season, but was largely rejected.

PS: I think the PTSD effect first showed itself during the ND game in 2010. I was very relieved that Chow brought in Hays for 2011.

ND was before surgery, so PTSD didn't apply.

The injured shoulder had 18 months to heal after surgery and, according to reports, had regained the strength and motion not present in 2011. The only concern was not throwing too much in practice.

roseparkutes
07-09-2013, 07:36 PM
this needs to change ASAP and there is a huge reason the utes have been pretty bad

UBlender
07-09-2013, 09:09 PM
ND was before surgery, so PTSD didn't apply.

I don't think this is correct. I believe the initial shoulder injury came against Iowa State that year. Wynn tried to hide it/play through it but it got worse, culminating in the late season offensive malaise (to put it mildly). We've never really recovered offensively.

Although I do think the PTSD, as you called it, was a bigger factor, at least in 2011, than the actual shoulder (pre-Washington injury that is). Everybody that observed practices as well as the coaches thought he was throwing just fine in practice, but in live games I think he was thinking about it too much and throwing completely differently and having happy feet in the pocket.

Jarid in Cedar
07-09-2013, 09:22 PM
I don't think this is correct. I believe the initial shoulder injury came against Iowa State that year. Wynn tried to hide it/play through it but it got worse, culminating in the late season offensive malaise (to put it mildly). We've never really recovered offensively.

Although I do think the PTSD, as you called it, was a bigger factor, at least in 2011, than the actual shoulder (pre-Washington injury that is). Everybody that observed practices as well as the coaches thought he was throwing just fine in practice, but in live games I think he was thinking about it too much and throwing completely differently and having happy feet in the pocket.

This is correct on all points.

concerned
07-09-2013, 09:27 PM
This is correct on all points.

If it wasn't PTSD by the ND game, he was clearly gunshy/hearing footsteps/ scared sh--less. He was a wreck.

DrumNFeather
07-09-2013, 09:38 PM
"Wilson to Scott" is a phrase I'd like to hear a lot this season, and if we do, I think we can expect those passing numbers to jump up.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

USS Utah
07-10-2013, 12:24 AM

While injured, there is a natural inclination to protect the injury, that's not PTSD as I refer to it. Rather, PTSD -- over-thinking, happy feet, etc. -- was a factor in the first half against USU in 2012. The issue in 2011 was that the shoulder had not healed 100% from the surgery, hence the side-arm delivery.

LA Ute
07-10-2013, 01:07 AM

I remember when he slid to avoid a tackle on 3rd down and ended up short of the first down marker. As he came off Brian Johnson yelled at him, "Why did you slide?" That was when a lot of us began to suspect something was up with his shoulder, beyond just overthinking. [Edit: This was in the Notre Dame game.]

SoCalPat
07-10-2013, 01:25 AM
I remember when he slid to avoid a tackle on 3rd down and ended up short of the first down marker. As he came off Brian Johnson yelled at him, "Why did you slide?" That was when a lot of us began to suspect something was up with his shoulder, beyond just overthinking.

For the record, that came against Notre Dame.

Depressing to think that about a month previous, Utah set the gold standard for productivity against Iowa State. We scored 69 points ON THE ROAD on a night when we left points on the field, and we had over 1,000 yards of all-purpose yardage. Forget what happened against TCU that year -- after Iowa State, everyone was thinking, "If we can get past TCU, we're playing in the Rose Bowl, and maybe for a national title." If you didn't think that, you're either lying or stupid. I don't think we ever looked that good under Urban, and that's saying something.

Ahh ... the good ol' days ...

U-Ute
07-10-2013, 09:41 AM
No QB would sign here behind Wynn since he was a starter as a freshman (see: Eubank, Brown), and then he was chronically injured.

That's an ugly double whammy.

I am looking forward to the karma gods paying us back over the next 4-6 years.

UBlender
07-10-2013, 10:46 AM
While injured, there is a natural inclination to protect the injury, that's not PTSD as I refer to it. Rather, PTSD -- over-thinking, happy feet, etc. -- was a factor in the first half against USU in 2012. The issue in 2011 was that the shoulder had not healed 100% from the surgery, hence the side-arm delivery.

I still disagree. He had a clean bill of health from the doctors. Once he came out in games chucking sidearm ducks those who had seen him in practice swore that was not how he was throwing in the controlled setting of practices and drills. His shoulder was 100% but he wasn't right upstairs and couldn't fully trust it.

I know it's common for fans on message boards to think they can see things in games that give them insight above and beyond what the coaches know, but the coaches never would have stuck with Wynn for so long if his throwing in practice was the same as what we saw in games. There was definitely a disconnect there, the coaches aren't that blind.

Flystripper
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
No QB would sign here behind Wynn since he was a starter as a freshman (see: Eubank, Brown), and then he was chronically injured.

That's an ugly double whammy.

I am looking forward to the karma gods paying us back over the next 4-6 years.

This is a weak excuse. Talented kids sign behind young incumbents all the time. Its football and the second string is always one snap away from being the starter. Failing to build a pipeline of quality quarterbacks is a recruiting failure and it isn't because of Wynn.

LA Ute
07-10-2013, 11:28 AM
This is a weak excuse. Talented kids sign behind young incumbents all the time. Its football and the second string is always one snap away from being the starter. Failing to build a pipeline of quality quarterbacks is a recruiting failure and it isn't because of Wynn.

I think this is the unpleasant truth.

USS Utah
07-10-2013, 11:36 AM
I still disagree. He had a clean bill of health from the doctors. Once he came out in games chucking sidearm ducks those who had seen him in practice swore that was not how he was throwing in the controlled setting of practices and drills. His shoulder was 100% but he wasn't right upstairs and couldn't fully trust it.

I know it's common for fans on message boards to think they can see things in games that give them insight above and beyond what the coaches know, but the coaches never would have stuck with Wynn for so long if his throwing in practice was the same as what we saw in games. There was definitely a disconnect there, the coaches aren't that blind.

If I recall correctly, it takes more time to heal from the shoulder surgery Wynn had than the 7 or 8 months between the end of the 2010 season and the beginning of camp 2011. I recall folks who had had the same surgery saying it took a year+ for them to feel that they had healed 100%, with full range of motion.

UBlender
07-10-2013, 12:56 PM
If I recall correctly, it takes more time to heal from the shoulder surgery Wynn had than the 7 or 8 months between the end of the 2010 season and the beginning of camp 2011. I recall folks who had had the same surgery saying it took a year+ for them to feel that they had healed 100%, with full range of motion.

Well, I can't vouch for specific instances of your reference, but I do get a kick out of all the times I read/hear a 45 year old wax expert on an injury because it took them X amount of weeks to recover as opposed to a 20 year old with access to top of the line doctors and facilities for rehab. All I know is that everyone involved swore Wynn was fully recovered and that the assertion was supported by the way he was throwing in non-game situations.

Or maybe it was all part of a massive conspiracy to hide the injury in favor of going with a damaged quarterback for several years in order to lessen our chances of winning games and secure a better draft pick?

utebehindenemylines
07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
One thing that makes me optimistic about Wilson and him starting as a Freshman is his size. Wynn started as a Tr Frosh and what derailed his career? Injuries, mostly due to his slight build. Wilson is 6'6" and a solid 235, if he doesn't get wreckless with his jumping and diving, he shouldn't have a problem keeping healthy. Someone mentioned Bledsoe as his upside, more recently Osweiler comes to mind. They look very similar in build and style of play and IIRC he was an Erickson QB to boot.

This sound familiar:

"Typically releases passes with a 3/4 delivery that almost shot-puts the ball and doesn't take advantage of his natural height advantage. Can drop down even lower with his delivery to complete passes around defenders. Also has a tendency to throw off his back foot when being pressured, leading to some passes drifting high and/or wide."

From Osweiler's scouting report at CBSsports.com

UtahsMrSports
07-10-2013, 02:33 PM
One thing that makes me optimistic about Wilson and him starting as a Freshman is his size. Wynn started as a Tr Frosh and what derailed his career? Injuries, mostly due to his slight build. Wilson is 6'6" and a solid 235, if he doesn't get wreckless with his jumping and diving, he shouldn't have a problem keeping healthy. Someone mentioned Bledsoe as his upside, more recently Osweiler comes to mind. They look very similar in build and style of play and IIRC he was an Erickson QB to boot.

This sound familiar:

"Typically releases passes with a 3/4 delivery that almost shot-puts the ball and doesn't take advantage of his natural height advantage. Can drop down even lower with his delivery to complete passes around defenders. Also has a tendency to throw off his back foot when being pressured, leading to some passes drifting high and/or wide."

From Osweiler's scouting report at CBSsports.com

Great find!

wally
07-10-2013, 04:33 PM
"utah has thrown for more than 250 yards only twice since joining the pac-12, doing so in losses to arizona (2012) and washington (2011)"

^^^^ that is pathetic. We cannot expect to compete at all in this league if we have that kind of anemic offensive production..

in dennis erickson we trust!!!

USS Utah
07-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Well, I can't vouch for specific instances of your reference, but I do get a kick out of all the times I read/hear a 45 year old wax expert on an injury because it took them X amount of weeks to recover as opposed to a 20 year old with access to top of the line doctors and facilities for rehab. All I know is that everyone involved swore Wynn was fully recovered and that the assertion was supported by the way he was throwing in non-game situations.

You're right pal, I don't have a clue (and I'm only 44). I'm just going off what others have said about their recovery from the same surgery. My bad.

USS Utah
07-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Or maybe it was all part of a massive conspiracy to hide the injury in favor of going with a damaged quarterback for several years in order to lessen our chances of winning games and secure a better draft pick?

Or maybe it was because the only other QB on the roster was a panic pickup no one else wanted.

UBlender
07-10-2013, 09:18 PM
You're right pal, I don't have a clue (and I'm only 44). I'm just going off what others have said about their recovery from the same surgery. My bad.

No need to be snippy. Like I said before, I am guessing the others you refer to that had to recover from the surgery weren't in their physical prime and didn't have access to the rehab resources that a Utah football player has. Thus, their experience is only comparable to a certain point.

UBlender
07-10-2013, 09:21 PM
Or maybe it was because the only other QB on the roster was a panic pickup no one else wanted.

Maybe. I won't deny that a large part of the problem was a failure to maintain sufficient depth at the position. Still, to suggest that the coaches put Wynn out there when he was physically injured and unable to perform the required functions calls into question both the ethics and competence of the collective, something I'm not prepared to do.

jrj84105
07-10-2013, 09:57 PM

I think that one thing that athletes frequently say is that the first phase of rehabilitation is the physical recovery and the second phase is regaining the confidence to rely on the injured part. I didn't think that Wynn recovered from the prior injuries physically or mentally. He became increasingly cautious and risk averse. Our offense slowed down as guys were put in motion, audibles called, and alignments shifted pre-snap only to check down or toss the ball out of bounds. I think our recruiting difficulties may have been just as impacted by this transition to a painfully cautious style as it was by Wynn's incumbency. How do you sell a dynamic dual threat kid on our program when the product in the field was so painful to watch.

USS Utah
07-10-2013, 10:54 PM
No need to be snippy. Like I said before, I am guessing the others you refer to that had to recover from the surgery weren't in their physical prime and didn't have access to the rehab resources that a Utah football player has. Thus, their experience is only comparable to a certain point.

He had surgery in November/December, couldn't throw during Spring football. It seems unlikely -- though I am clearly not an expert -- that he would have been 100% by August.

Maybe. I won't deny that a large part of the problem was a failure to maintain sufficient depth at the position. Still, to suggest that the coaches put Wynn out there when he was physically injured and unable to perform the required functions calls into question both the ethics and competence of the collective, something I'm not prepared to do.

Why not, they did it with BJ in 2007.

In 2006, they had the luxury of redshirting BJ to give his ACL more time to heal. They apparently didn't have enough confidence in Grady to start him in 2007 after the UNLV debacle.

If they had had someone like Ratliff in 2011, they probably would have redshirted Wynn.

In any case, despite the sidearm delivery, Wynn actually played better in 2011 than he did in 2012 after the shoulder had even more time to heal. That's why I say he played with PTSD against USU.

USS Utah
07-11-2013, 12:03 AM
I went searching for more info on Wynn's shoulder injuries and found this excellent NY Times piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/08/sports/ncaafootball/jordan-wynn-utahs-22-year-old-retiree-contemplates-the-future.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The first injury occurred during the spring game of his sophomore season. Wynn dove for a fumble, arms extended, as several defensive players landed on him. His left shoulder absorbed the impact. He has gone from injury to operation to rehabilitation ever since.

The second injury took place in 2010, the third in 2011. Wynn compensated for what he lost in arm strength with changes to his throwing motion. He delivered passes earlier, with more precision. The 2012 season, Whittingham figured, “was the year that things go right for him.”

He could throw in August 2011, but that didn't mean he had the same arm strength. In 2012, from the camp reports that I can recall, the arm strength, or most of it, was back and he was making throws he wasn't making the year before. But four shoulder surgeries in three years took a mental toll.

See also this SL Trib article from August 28, 2012:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/54781061-89/wynn-utes-utah-quarterback.html.csp

Wynn did look like his old self in camp, until a three-day break to rest a sore shoulder flared up old questions about his ability to last the season.

And this from March 10, 2012:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/53759163-89/wynn-season-quarterback-utah.html.csp

Jordan Wynn sported a new look, a new outlook and a decidedly better throwing motion Tuesday as he and the Utah Utes opened spring ball. . . . Afterward, he said he feels better than he has in a long time. . . . Wynn has been throwing since January and, unlike last year in the fall, he has no restrictions on the number of throws he can make.

Utah
07-11-2013, 07:15 AM

I agree and disagree. I think it was hard for Utah to get a QB to come in behind Wynn. You have to remember, we were still mid-major when all of the Wynn drama was going down. It wasn't until the year the we got Wilson that we were officially BCS.

Also, I will admit, that I don't think Whitt and co put enough effort into the QB position either, and moved too many QB's to other positions. I really think Whitt thought he could come in and be successful playing "SEC" style football. Tough defense, good run game, some QB that doesn't make any turnovers. There is too much offense in this league for that.

Utah
07-11-2013, 07:28 AM

I would have gone differently if I was the Ute coaching staff. I would have started Wilson from day 1. I think we make a bowl game if that happens. Look at our schedule:

No Colorado - Win
Utah State - ???
BYU - ???
ASU - Loss
USC - Loss
UCLA - ???
OSU - ???
Cal - Win
WSU - Win
Wash - Loss
Ariz - Loss
Colo - Win

I'd bet that if Wilson started the whole year that all of our losses stay losses except maybe Utah State, UCLA, and Oregon St. And I'd bet that all of our wins stay wins except maybe BYU. BUT, if you start Wilson from day 1, I bet Utah wins either Utah State or BYU AND either Oregon St or UCLA.

That puts us up to 6 wins and into a bowl.

Now, I get why the coaching staff did what they did. They had a QB who was often injured put it together his senior year (BJ). So they stuck with Wynn hoping to catch lightning in a bottle twice and have Wynn come through like BJ did. THEN, they went with Hayes because Hayes had been serviceable the year before. That didn't work out either, because White wasn't there to hid Hays.

I've said this before, but I think Utah surprises people this year. EVERYTHING went wrong for them last year. Nothing bounced Utah's way. Heck, even the BYU game had BYU fumble the ball six times and recover 4 of them. Even with every decision the coaches made being wrong, even with every ball bouncing to the other team, Utah still won 5 games. We weren't as bad as our record last year.

jrj84105
07-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Why doesn't the hand/thumb injury in the 2010 opener against Pitt ever come up? It seemed like he didn't really get over that until the ISU game only to injure the shoulder. I think I was concerned that he wasn't healthy for a single complete game out of the 2010 season and that's why I was always so pessimistic about his prospects of having anything resembling a healthy season.