PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Player Leaders - who are they?

Ma'ake
07-09-2013, 09:10 PM
The best teams have great player leadership, to go along with talent, and getting some bounces. The best player leaders have both leadership qualities and the on-field results to command respect from their teammates.

I don't know this group of players like I was able to observe in earlier years, but there are certainly some candidates, based on what we've seen:

Offense:

Travis Wilson - only a Soph, but he's got the PAC starts under his belt and proved last year he has heart, going airborne a couple of times in scrimmages. If he plays well, Travis will be an obvious leader and will grow into that role. Very few good offenses have mediocre leadership at QB. If he got thrown in the fire, Schulz would find his bearings, but it's tough exerting leadership as the new guy in the huddle. He definitely has a nice set of ingredients, from everything I've seen and heard.

Ken Scott - he's got on-field credibility and I think he has innate leadership qualities, a serious work ethic. Dres also has the chops and I think he could be a good leader. If the OL does its job, the run game is working, the QB has time and accuracy, we have very good WR talent. When it gets tough, these guys have to stay tough.

Jake Murphy - Has the field-cred and has the personality. He needs to step up and show some of his hall-of-fame lineage, he needs to expand the skills he brings to the team.

O-Line - I honestly don't know who the natural candidates are on the OL. Poutasi is still very young and I haven't seen the nasty 'tude from him, yet. This is an open race, as far as I'm concerned. Salt is a mature, bright guy who could emerge if he stays healthy.

RBs - this is a wide open race, too. Radley is a natural leader, but he has to hold on the ball and establish the on-field credibility. York, Poole, Williams, one of the newbies - this one boils down to who gets it done.

Defense:

DL - Reilly and Orchard have the experience, do they have the personality to step up and lead? I don't know, and it depends on if they can perform well enough to draw the respect. Palepoi we're told is pretty quiet, but positive. Seni seems to have the potential to lead, depending on how well he does and how much impact he has.

LB - Blechen certainly has the intensity and potential to lead, but he if takes risks and misses, and gets reamed, that undermines his leadership. VJ seems to have potential as well, if he can perform. If he establishes himself on the field, Jason Whittingham has the leadership in his blood, obviously. Norris could emerge, ala Greg Newman in '08.

Safeties - this would appear to be Eric Rowe's time to rise to the occasion. Ability, experience... hopefully he's matured and will pull guys with him. From what I've seen, Tyron Morris-Edwards has good leadership potential, if he emerges on the field and gets that next-level of confidence.

Corners - it's definitely more difficult to lead the defense from the corner position, but among the group, it's important to have a resilient mentality, toughness and stay upbeat. If McGill finds his bearings at CB and stays healthy, he could lead. Michael Walker is definitely a football player, and has the experience.

SoCalPat
07-10-2013, 01:17 AM
Wilson only becomes a leader after he pulls a win out of the fire in the fourth quarter.

Scott needs to become a complete receiver before I could count on him as a leader. Last year, his blocking was non-existent and he ran one route well.

I like Murphy and I would be thrilled to see him affect our offense like Tony Gonzalez has done for so many years for the Chiefs and Falcons.

I've always viewed O-linemen as players who led from within (the locker room) and not on the outside (game day). Their leadership is much more subtle.

Blechen's failed two drug tests. 'Nuf said.

Eric Rowe should be blasting fools this year. He's our best player in the back seven, maybe on the entire stop unit.

We're a pretty young team, so it's tough to identify leaders. I'm hopeful that in 2014 or 2015, we have that combination of experience, talent and nerve that can result in a South title.

TheMightyAlaskanUte
07-11-2013, 07:18 PM
I think the two guys Whit is taking to Pac 12 media are the two guys who will lead this team. Reilly is definitely the D leader and Murph the O. Theyre both gonna have huge years.

Damage U
07-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I agree with most of what you said Ma'ake.
Here's my two cents looking from way outside the program. I Don't know any of these guys personally so this is done with a grain of salt.

Wilson - needs a few good wins under his belt or I think players will start to blow him off and start whispering (not publicly) for the next in line. I see that happening if he comes out and stinks the place up in a few early games. Fans my not be so forgiving.

K.Scott - Has the personality to be a great leader if there is more to him than just "the fun guy" to be around. Certianly a fan favorite.

Salt - Has the maturity. Needs game cred.

Blechen - Like SoCalPat said. Two failed drug test. Can still be a great leader but cred has taken a hit (pun intended).

If things go bad this season look to the older guys to keep the team together, but this team is pretty young so there is a lot of room for a younger player to step up and make things happen.