PDA

View Full Version : U of U basketball camp

U-Ute
07-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Anyone else have their kids up at the camp this week? Two of my boys did it last year and we're doing it again this year.

They are really good with the kids.

UtahsMrSports
07-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Anyone else have their kids up at the camp this week? Two of my boys did it last year and we're doing it again this year.

They are really good with the kids.

I did it in the Majerus years and hated it. Realized that pursuing basketball was not for me. Hopefully, your boys have a better experience than I did!

U-Ute
07-16-2013, 08:54 AM
I did it in the Majerus years and hated it. Realized that pursuing basketball was not for me. Hopefully, your boys have a better experience than I did!

I guess I was lucky that my formative basketball years were with Judkins and Vranes.

So far they love it. Foster is coaching the 5-6 year olds. My boy can't get over how tall he is. Lol

LA Ute
07-16-2013, 10:11 AM
My older son did a Majerus camp and loved it. He cam back a much better defensive player.

UtahsMrSports
07-16-2013, 10:28 AM
My older son did a Majerus camp and loved it. He cam back a much better defensive player.

I think my issue was this......I had never played organized basketball beyond jr. jazz. I just was never good enough to make the jr high team. Suffice it to say....I was a little misinformed about how serious they were taking things. Alex Austin (brother of former Jazzman Isaac and now an AAU big name) picked up a chair and threw it at me for making a mistake. Jeff Johnsen was one of my coaches and he was a complete tool. I also had Nate Althoff, and he was awesome.

Its just the way Im wired I guess. Some people don't mind being screamed at and it helps them get better. To me, its just a game and I have always taken people like Alex Austin (people who yell and belittle others over a game) not seriously at all. I was really out of place. But I did learn some things and was a better player after going through it.

LA Ute
07-16-2013, 12:28 PM
I think my issue was this......I had never played organized basketball beyond jr. jazz. I just was never good enough to make the jr high team. Suffice it to say....I was a little misinformed about how serious they were taking things. Alex Austin (brother of former Jazzman Isaac and now an AAU big name) picked up a chair and threw it at me for making a mistake. Jeff Johnsen was one of my coaches and he was a complete tool. I also had Nate Althoff, and he was awesome.

Its just the way Im wired I guess. Some people don't mind being screamed at and it helps them get better. To me, its just a game and I have always taken people like Alex Austin (people who yell and belittle others over a game) not seriously at all. I was really out of place. But I did learn some things and was a better player after going through it.

Sure -- I wasn't commenting on your experience, just remembering my son's. He is a big kid at 6'4" and was a decent high school player, although he inherited my lack of speed and hops. He went to the Majerus camp after his freshman year and learned a ton of fundamentals.

Throwing a chair at a kid in a basketball camp? Wow.