PDA

View Full Version : Coaches poll out

SoCalPat
08-01-2013, 10:23 AM
Oregon 3, Stanford 4, UCLA 21, USC 24 and Oregon State 25.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/08/01/analysis-usa-today-sports-coaches-poll-top-25-team-capsules/2603701/

Sullyute
08-01-2013, 12:13 PM
So the local pac-12 media picked ASU to win the south but UCLA and USC are both ranked above them in the coaches poll. Interesting.

If i counted right then there is a three way tie (sec, bigten, pac12) for most teams ranked by conference. Not too shabby.

Hot Lunch
08-01-2013, 01:28 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/08/01/analysis-usa-today-sports-coaches-poll-top-25-team-capsules/2603701/

I have never been a fan of the Coaches poll and have always thought it was the worst poll out there. It does indicate that football is finally around the corner.

Bacana Ute
08-01-2013, 03:43 PM
The coaches poll is the biggest joke of a poll there is. How can coaches possibly watch and scout all of the other teams in the country? Yeah they scout their opponents for hours on end, but even that is on a weekly basis. I see the coaches poll as the head coach handing his slip to one of the team managers and telling him to fill out.

sancho
08-01-2013, 04:36 PM
The coaches poll is the biggest joke of a poll there is.

You might upset some Harris poll voters with that statement. They've had a decent claim in the biggest joke title for the past few years.

Utah
08-01-2013, 06:38 PM

I think the fact that USU and BYU are "receiving votes" shows why the AQ conferences are so much tougher than non-AQ and why the Big Five would want to separate themselves from the non-AQ's.

Look at Utah, BYU and USU. How many wins does Utah get with USU's schedule last year? USU lost to Wisconsin and BYU. Their good wins were LaTech and SJSU. We know if Utah had their schedule, they probably beat Utah State (because that game would be in RES), they beat BYU. Even if they split SJSU and LaTech (which I don't think they would), they still get 11 wins. With USU's schedule last year, Utah has a shot at a BCS bowl (if they beat USU, BYU, SJSU, and LaTech, they get in over N Illinois).

Same thing with BYU. Give Utah State or BYU Utah's schedule and I don't know if they get to five wins.

So, why is it fair, that three teams that are pretty equal teams end up with such different records, and rankings? Why is it that everyone has lofty goals for USU (beating Boise, BCS bowl), BYU fans think that they can get to 10 wins, and if they pull an upset here or there they can make a BCS bowl, and Utah fans are all pinning for six wins?

The schedule. If you are Oregon or Stanford, and you each end up with 11-2 records, why is it fair that a 12-0 or 11-1 BYU or USU gets to go into a BCS bowl over you, when you did a lot more than they did?

Now, I know Utah benefited from this, and I loved it. Utah won playing in the rules they were given and did WHAT NO OTHER NON-BCS TEAM HAD DONE (finish in the top 4). Under the rules, Utah should have gone to the BCS bowl. But did it make it fair? Nope.

So, here we are, going into the season with three teams that are pretty equal, but three completely different realities because of the schedule. I, for one, would not mind it if the Big 5 broke away and cut themselves off from the rest of the teams. At least then I wouldn't have to hear about how great USU and BYU are, when in reality, they aren't better than Utah.

SoCalPat
08-01-2013, 11:35 PM
I think the fact that USU and BYU are "receiving votes" shows why the AQ conferences are so much tougher than non-AQ and why the Big Five would want to separate themselves from the non-AQ's.

Look at Utah, BYU and USU. How many wins does Utah get with USU's schedule last year? USU lost to Wisconsin and BYU. Their good wins were LaTech and SJSU. We know if Utah had their schedule, they probably beat Utah State (because that game would be in RES), they beat BYU. Even if they split SJSU and LaTech (which I don't think they would), they still get 11 wins. With USU's schedule last year, Utah has a shot at a BCS bowl (if they beat USU, BYU, SJSU, and LaTech, they get in over N Illinois).

Same thing with BYU. Give Utah State or BYU Utah's schedule and I don't know if they get to five wins.

So, why is it fair, that three teams that are pretty equal teams end up with such different records, and rankings? Why is it that everyone has lofty goals for USU (beating Boise, BCS bowl), BYU fans think that they can get to 10 wins, and if they pull an upset here or there they can make a BCS bowl, and Utah fans are all pinning for six wins?

The schedule. If you are Oregon or Stanford, and you each end up with 11-2 records, why is it fair that a 12-0 or 11-1 BYU or USU gets to go into a BCS bowl over you, when you did a lot more than they did?

Now, I know Utah benefited from this, and I loved it. Utah won playing in the rules they were given and did WHAT NO OTHER NON-BCS TEAM HAD DONE (finish in the top 4). Under the rules, Utah should have gone to the BCS bowl. But did it make it fair? Nope.

So, here we are, going into the season with three teams that are pretty equal, but three completely different realities because of the schedule. I, for one, would not mind it if the Big 5 broke away and cut themselves off from the rest of the teams. At least then I wouldn't have to hear about how great USU and BYU are, when in reality, they aren't better than Utah.

Signicant correction: 2010 TCU finished 2nd after beating Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. They didn't receive the first-place votes Utah did, but they were too 4.

So too was Boise State in 2009 after beating TCU in the Fiesta Bowl ... A consensus No. 4 team in the rankings.

Utah
08-02-2013, 05:10 AM
Signicant correction: 2010 TCU finished 2nd after beating Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. They didn't receive the first-place votes Utah did, but they were too 4.

So too was Boise State in 2009 after beating TCU in the Fiesta Bowl ... A consensus No. 4 team in the rankings.

I meant Utah was the first to do it in the BCS era.