Thread: Poison Oak

Poison Oak

I got into some about 10 days ago. I have a large patch on the side of my leg, and some smaller patches on my arm and torso. The large patch on my leg has turned ugly. Not infected, but red and scaly, and is oozing liquid. It look really bad, but doesn't hurt or even itch that much.

There isn't a lot you can do about it. I takes 10 days to 3 weeks to start to get better. I also didn't realize that it doesn't start to manifest until hours or days after contact.

A few years back, I got into some right before a trip to NYC. It started itching on the plane, and 3 days later was in full bloom. I had never had it before, and was worried sick. I thought it might be a really bad case of shingles. I ended up going to see a doctor,a nd they told me what it was. It was uncomfortable, but I felt a lot better knowing I wasn't going to lose my leg, and was able to enjoy the trip.

If you are out in the foothills, remember: leaves of three, let it be!
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

This thread is useless without pics.

Poison Oak sucks. Calamine lotion can slightly speed the healing, but there is little else that can be done.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Poison Oak sucks. Calamine lotion can slightly speed the healing, but there is little else that can be done.
    I had a nasty poison oak experience a few years back. I recommend swimming as much as possible. The combo of water/chlorine/urine seems to work wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I had a nasty poison oak experience a few years back. I recommend swimming as much as possible. The combo of water/chlorine/urine seems to work wonders.
    Hmm, we have a family day at Lagoon coming up, and I was thinking this would be my reason for not having/getting to go into the cesspool/Lagoona beach. I thought the chlorine/urine would irritate it more. I hadn't thought about it helping. I still don't think I'll go, I think anyone that sees me get in the water with the rash will head for the exit. Maybe I'll try the local pool.

This thread is useless without pics
    This is either the worst or best use of this messageboard meme ever. Either way, this thread will remain useless. I'm not putting innocent UB5 users through looking at my nasty rash. I learned my lesson from Waupinmon on the other board.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-13-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Poison Oak

Ahh how good it is to be a youngen......diving into poison oak patches i memeber those days....Congrats to Tanner

I'm glad this thread got bumped. We all need to consider again what was said here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not slept well since this thread was started not knowing how the story ended. I'm on pins and needles.

I just want to be the second person to officially congratulate Tanner! Way to go, buddy!

I once sat in poison oak (after rolling my car near Fortuna, CA). It is not a pleasant thing. Thanks for bringing up a painful memory, Bradser.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I just want to be the second person to officially congratulate Tanner! Way to go, buddy!
    I never doubted he would do it. I mean, come on, its Tanner!

https://youtu.be/54Z2zfr1mrI

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I have not slept well since this thread was started not knowing how the story ended. I'm on pins and needles.
    I got better! I don't know why Tanner is getting the congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I got better! I don't know why Tanner is getting the congratulations
    Maybe he cured you.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Maybe he cured you.

Not unless Tanner invented Prednisone. If he did, congratulations are in order, albeit way late.