Thread: Chile roasting at Harmon's

Chile roasting at Harmon's

One of the greatest things about mid to late-August is the yearly arrival of chile roasting at Harmon's grocery stores.

The past year of having a good supply of Hatch New Mexico green chile has been great. Green Chile Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust and Walnut Streusel, green chile enchiladas, huevos rancheros, and green chile stew have been great this year. The enchiladas and pie being the best of the bunch. I was a little too judicious and had some left, but that just means that I can make more over the next year.

I highly recommend picking up a bushel. I'll be getting mine today.

http://www.harmonsgrocery.com/blog/2...iles-are-back/
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I just picked up my hatch chiles on Saturday, but I don't have a local place that will roast them for me. Lucky.

Chile Verde this week! Just make a big batch, and smother everything with it!
    What is your go-to recipe for chile verde/green chile. This recipe with a few modifications is my favorite.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1917450.html

Having someone roast it makes a huge difference. You get a great char on it, tons of flavor, and getting the skin off is much easier. I love that Harmons does this every year. I'm heading out to get my chiles in about an hour and am really excited. I'll actually have a nice 45 minute drive with the smell of the roasted chiles.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    What is your go-to recipe for chile verde/green chile. This recipe with a few modifications is my favorite.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1917450.html

Having someone roast it makes a huge difference. You get a great char on it, tons of flavor, and getting the skin off is much easier. I love that Harmons does this every year. I'm heading out to get my chiles in about an hour and am really excited. I'll actually have a nice 45 minute drive with the smell of the roasted chiles.
    How long do they run this? I need to pick some up. I make a pretty mean green chile and would lover to get some fresh roasted Chiles.

Thanks for the recipe. I had a friend from Denver come to Thanksgiving one year, and he showed up with a big bowl of chile verde. We put it on mashed potatoes and turkey, and it was great. We always use his recipe, and I love it. I'll try to remember to post it tonight when I am at home.
    Mashed potatoes and turkey that is brilliant. This stuff is pretty much good on anything. That will pair well with the apple-green chile pie with cheddar crust and walnut streusel that I'll be making for Thanksgiving this year.
    --fjm.com

Mashed potatoes and turkey that is brilliant. This stuff is pretty much good on anything. That will pair well with the apple-green chile pie with cheddar crust and walnut streusel that I'll be making for Thanksgiving this year.
    Chile Verde on fried eggs is my favorite.

Thanks for the recipe. I had a friend from Denver come to Thanksgiving one year, and he showed up with a big bowl of chile verde. We put it on mashed potatoes and turkey, and it was great. We always use his recipe, and I love it. I'll try to remember to post it tonight when I am at home.
    Come on! Jeez. While we are young!!!

Yo MP! I need your chile apple pie recipe.

Pronto!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/di...rex2.html?_r=0

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    --fjm.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/di...rex2.html?_r=0

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Muchas gracias. I am planning on hacking this pie thing up, along with some chile verde. I'm deep frying a turkey for Thanksgiving, and we're gonna use the verde for gravy, and then we are going to battle the Gaucho's Revenge all weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    Muchas gracias. I am planning on hacking this pie thing up, along with some chile verde. I'm deep frying a turkey for Thanksgiving, and we're gonna use the verde for gravy, and then we are going to battle the Gaucho's Revenge all weekend!
    I will be sure your local fire department has extra staffing

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I will be sure your local fire department has extra staffing
    I don't expect the Gaucho's Revenge to require any fire department assistance, but you never know!

Actually, I purchased one of them Butterball turkey fryer dealios a couple of years ago. I only did so after painstaking research, which consisted of watching the infomercial in its entirety at least six times. But I didn't purchase from the infomercial. No way. I ain't no sucker. I bought mine on a whim at the Costco.

I've deep fried more than a few turkeys over the last couple of years. Deep fried turkey is ridiculous. I love it. And I love cholesterol. And high blood pressure medication.

Senioritis how did you like the apple-green chile pie?
    --fjm.com

Senioritis how did you like the apple-green chile pie?
    There is no way the pie should have been as good as it was. We've taken to calling it the Dirty Apple. We've made it twice more. It's so strange, but irresistibly delicious, like Rich Rodriguez.

I've also slapped down this verde recipe a couple of times: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

Whoooo boy!!

I am a Hatch chile addict. It's not healthy. Every single thing I cook with them ends up being glorious, and I can't stop. I'll put them in anything, like Ocean Spray does with cranberries.

Doing another batch of chile verde on Saturday. My woman is making the green chile Apple pie for dinner on Sunday. I am starting a collection of shiny blue rocks. I expect a trans am is next, and then an increase in back hair and a meth addiction.

I love love you New Mexico!

One of the greatest things about mid to late-August is the yearly arrival of chile roasting at Harmon's grocery stores.

The past year of having a good supply of Hatch New Mexico green chile has been great. Green Chile Apple Pie with Cheddar Crust and Walnut Streusel, green chile enchiladas, huevos rancheros, and green chile stew have been great this year. The enchiladas and pie being the best of the bunch. I was a little too judicious and had some left, but that just means that I can make more over the next year.

I highly recommend picking up a bushel. I'll be getting mine today.

http://www.harmonsgrocery.com/blog/2...iles-are-back/

Harmons is quite the grocery store chain. It's the little things about how they present their products, their specialties, even their bathrooms. They have some quality people working for them. I'm not joking. They cook those chilis up downtown and have lunch specials. The burrito they make is killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Harmons is quite the grocery store chain. It's the little things about how they present their products, their specialties, even their bathrooms. They have some quality people working for them. I'm not joking. They cook those chilis up downtown and have lunch specials. The burrito they make is killer.
    Harmons is fantastic.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I just wish I could get everything I want there. There's been several items I initially bought there only to have them suddenly vanish. At least twice employees have told my wife or I that a product has been discontinued and that's why we can't get it. We're still buying those products from other stores in town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk