Thread: The path for homosexuals in LDS theology

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    This is the part of the story that is disconcerting and that should be addressed by the LDS Church.

"Another more recent Utah study of 600 families with a teen (the Family Foundations of Youth Development study, 2016-2017) found the same: more religious teens and Mormon teens were significantly less likely to experience suicidal thoughts. Teens who had previously been Mormon (had left the Mormon Church) had similar rates of suicidal thoughts as their non-Mormon peers. As we consider these findings in a highly homogenous religious state like Utah, we acknowledge that a higher rate of suicidal ideation for non-LDS youths in Utah may speak to a need for better integration of non-LDS youths within schools and local communities."
    I question the value of a study of only 600 families in a place as large and diverse as Utah looking for something as nuanced as a likelihood to experience suicidal thoughts. That said, I'm all for better integration of LDS and non-LDS populations in the state.

The stat from the article that really jumps out as being significant is the hugely elevated rate of suicidal thoughts among LGBT youth (43% vs 18%). Regardless of how the survey is conducted or what constitutes a positive response, that's a big difference.

The comment section in the News article regarding the about face the Provo Freedom Festival Parade committee did after initially rejecting the applications of 5 LGBTQ groups applications to participate says about all that needs to be said about the hurdles faced by the LGBTQ community in Utah. The groups were initially not allowed because organizers claimed that their applications did not meet standards and the parade is not a place for advocating special interests but to show patriotism. The groups have now been allowed to participate in the parade after agreeing to have more red, white and blue on the submission and more patriotic themes. The SLTrib showed a photo of the LDS Provo Utah Mission entry in last year's parade. It consisted of the mission president and wife walking in front of a banner with the words Utah Provo Mission and then followed by missionaries in white shirts and ties. While the frame of the photo was narrow, none of those shown were waving or carrying flags.

The path for homosexuals in LDS theology

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The comment section in the News article regarding the about face the Provo Freedom Festival Parade committee did after initially rejecting the applications of 5 LGBTQ groups applications to participate says about all that needs to be said about the hurdles faced by the LGBTQ community in Utah. The groups were initially not allowed because organizers claimed that their applications did not meet standards and the parade is not a place for advocating special interests but to show patriotism. The groups have now been allowed to participate in the parade after agreeing to have more red, white and blue on the submission and more patriotic themes. The SLTrib showed a photo of the LDS Provo Utah Mission entry in last year's parade. It consisted of the mission president and wife walking in front of a banner with the words Utah Provo Mission and then followed by missionaries in white shirts and ties. While the frame of the photo was narrow, none of those shown were waving or carrying flags.
    I believe the Freedom Festival folks tweaked their theme requirements to be even more strict, because they’d been forced to sign the non-discrimination agreements. Their thinking was they could just say an entry wasn’t patriotic enough and avoid any controversy. The original plan for at least one of the rejected groups was a float of LGBTQ veterans. How that wasn’t patriotic I have no idea.

They also made a big deal about funding....making sure to say the large sums of taxpayer money they receive goes to everything but the parade.

Frankly it’s amazing local governments have such large sums of taxpayer money to hand out for parades and festivals. I’d be curious if they charge these events for resources they use, such as police and fire...if not the reported ‘donations’ are probably lower than what it’s actually costing taxpayers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk