Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Busting Benny Beaver: Utah v. OSU 2013

The 4th and 9 is still killing me. So I looked some stuff up:

OSU converted on a 3rd & 15, 3rd & 12, 3rd & 11, 3rd & 10 three times, and a 3rd & 7. They were 2/2 on 4th down.

Usually, when a team is converting on 3rd it is because they manage to get to 3rd and short. But the Beavers killed us in 3rd and long situations.

It will be tough to avoid starting 0-4 again, but none of the next three conference games is impossible.

Some perspective from Hoyo's Revenge:

http://hoyosrevenge.com/2013/09/15/u...game-thoughts/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Random thought (not the most important thing but I was wondering): Is it time to start recruiting bigger DBs? I know safeties are ideally bigger and corners are smaller, but it looked like our little corners were getting worked quite a bit by bigger receivers.
    Here's the thing. If we have a guy who is 6'+ and fast, we are going to make him a WR. We need that size there to do unto others what OSU did to us last night.

The most important part of defending a team like OSU is getting pressure on the QB, and we failed to do that. You pressure a QB, and all your DB come off looking like Dion Sanders.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    True. Poole was effective when he got into apace, but we could've used someone of York's size up the middle. Especially as a nice change of pace.
    We should probably start referring to Williams as our body back. I don't imagine York gets too many more chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Some perspective from Hoyo's Revenge:

http://hoyosrevenge.com/2013/09/15/u...game-thoughts/
    I do hope the giraffe nickname sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I do hope the giraffe nickname sticks.
    Yes! I'd heard "Baby Giraffe" but like Angry Giraffe better.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The 4th and 9 is still killing me. So I looked some stuff up:

OSU converted on a 3rd & 15, 3rd & 12, 3rd & 11, 3rd & 10 three times, and a 3rd & 7. They were 2/2 on 4th down.

Usually, when a team is converting on 3rd it is because they manage to get to 3rd and short. But the Beavers killed us in 3rd and long situations.

It will be tough to avoid starting 0-4 again, but none of the next three conference games is impossible.
    This perplexes me too. We were terrible in 3rd and 4th w long yardage.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Will someone come up with a clever thread name for the BYU game? I can't come up with anything and am ready to move on from talking about this game.

I'm stymied this morning in creativity and will probably come up with something as bad as Benny Beaver. (Speaking of this, I think LA Ute's horrible thread title had as much to do with the appalling loss as did turnovers etc. just saying)
    A couple titles off the top of my head.

Ménage à Twats
    The Tri-fetch-a

Never mind. Looks like LA already got one started.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Never mind. Looks like LA already got one started.

The thread title can be changed.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    This perplexes me too. We were terrible in 3rd and 4th w long yardage.
    And I place that blame on our line and LB. 3rd and 4th and long are where a pass rush is most important, and we had none. You can't give a talented quarterback that much time. I don't care how good your secondary is, more than 4 seconds or so without pressure and you're going to get beat.

Exactly. How about "Busted Defense & Coaching"? The plight of our defense isn't anything new. It's been happening since 2009.

The thread title can be changed.