Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Cougars beat themselves again? Or, 4 in a row, Provo! Utah vs. BYU 2013

3-1 heading into the bye, i'll take it.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

It wasn't pretty but we will take the win. Go Utes!

Forward, never straight Freaky Girl's Avatar
    Whew!!! Go Utes!!
    If you make friends with yourself, you will never be alone. -Maxwell Maltz

I can understand Van Noy's frustration. He gets to live the rest of his life knowing that he couldn't beat the rival.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Stay classy Van Noy. #nohandshake
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    I can understand Van Noy's frustration. He gets to live the rest of his life knowing that he couldn't beat the rival.
    Former rival. We really need to get over the CU hump.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

That was more tense than it needed to be. Time to take a walk to cool off.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Former rival. We really need to get over the CU hump.
    CU is Utah's rival. Utah is still BYU's rival.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    That was more tense than it needed to be. Time to take a walk to cool off.
    That's a good idea. The first 5 minutes or so of the 3rd quarter really ticked me off, especially giving up that 3rd and long for a first down. Then Hill got the long run. I can't enjoy the win because I'm still ticked about those two plays.

CU is Utah's rival. Utah is still BYU's rival.

wilson had no turnovers on the road. the boy is growing up, and survived Eric Rowe's brain dead penalty.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-22-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Um, I am a Ute fan and all but what was the story on that no-PI call on the final play?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

One takeaway for me is that the Utes are getting better week by week. Am I right? Or just using red lenses?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Um, I am a Ute fan and all but what was the story on that no-PI call on the final play?
    if you saw the replay, both players were going after each other rather than trying to catch the ball. The Ute player definitely interfered, but the BYU player grabbed the Ute's jersey and pulled the defender on top of him and made it look worse than it was.

if you saw the replay, both players were going after each other rather than trying to catch the ball. The Ute player definitely interfered, but the BYU player grabbed the Ute's jersey and pulled the defender on top of him and made it look worse than it was.
    Thanks, I feel better. I will watch that on the DVR version.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-22-2013 at 12:09 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    Stay classy Van Noy. #nohandshake
    Really? I missed that one. A great player should be a better sport than that.

--Yeats

Please hire a new DC. Sitake may be a good man, but he's woefully inadequate as DC. Clearly, Whit doesn't agree with my view. hmmmmm.....

The BYU guy was doing what DVC did all last year: try to draw the PI flag rather than catch the ball.

My guess is that was what he was coached to do, and it would be smart if done well. The game can't end on a penalty, and BYU would get to run an untimed play from 15 yards closer. If he catches it, the game is over. Why else would they not throw the Hail Mary to the end zone? (I guess it's possible Taysom can't throw that far, but all the more reason to try to get 15 yards closer to run another play).
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-22-2013 at 12:14 AM.

LA,
    Defense definitely better this week - what an effort! Offense just good enough but really needed to be better tonight - 1-13 on 3rd down conversions and yet managed to win. Play calling needs to be a little less conservative in my opinion. The Dres drop on third and long when we were backed up was a huge one. Dres was absolutely nails until that play. Tough not having our tight ends for half the third and all of the fourth. That really allowed BYUs linebackers to come at us. Of course, the Y not having Williams was tough for them as well.

Anyway, I digress - yes, we're getting better. We are not getting better at stupid penalties though. When will Kyle fix the personal fouls? Rowe's taunting penalty probably cost us a touchdown tonight and made this a game. Completely unacceptable.
    'biq

the pass was out of bounds and not catchable, and was at the 10 yard line not in the end zone on the final play, so no harm no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    LA,
    Defense definitely better this week - what an effort! Offense just good enough but really needed to be better tonight - 1-13 on 3rd down conversions and yet managed to win. Play calling needs to be a little less conservative in my opinion. The Dres drop on third and long when we were backed up was a huge one. Dres was absolutely nails until that play. Tough not having our tight ends for half the third and all of the fourth. That really allowed BYUs linebackers to come at us. Of course, the Y not having Williams was tough for them as well.

Anyway, I digress - yes, we're getting better. We are not getting better at stupid penalties though. When will Kyle fix the personal fouls? Rowe's taunting penalty probably cost us a touchdown tonight and made this a game. Completely unacceptable.
    'biq
    I wonder if Rowe will be doing any running and puking next week in practice? I love the kid but I hope so.

--Yeats

Did Bronco really not shake KW's hand?

--Yeats

Trevor Reilly on the post-game show right now: "I'm 4 and 0. I get to say that the rest of my life." How great is that?

The guy had 5 sacks, and 8 tackles for loss. What a stud.

--Yeats

How hurt us murphy? They never told us

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    How hurt us murphy? They never told us
    Good timing with the bye before UCLA.

Speaking of UCLA, they are due for a letdown game, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Good timing with the bye before UCLA.

Speaking of UCLA, they are due for a letdown game, right?
    If I were the Bruins I'd be careful about prepping for the U.

--Yeats

Travis Wilson with a 173.4 QB rating for the game, 172.6 for the season.

I'd say the one area he needs to get better is on converting 3rd downs.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I'd say the one area he needs to get better is on converting 3rd downs.
    1 of 14 tonight, right? How do you win with a stat like that?

"Die hard Utah Utes fan" Darren Lucy was seen celebrating the win in Provo with Lennay Kekua!
    Last edited by Crimsonute; 09-22-2013 at 12:33 AM.

One other thing that Kalani and Morgan Scalley might need to work on with the DBs: Intercepting that ball on 4th down made it into a BYU punt, in effect, and hurt our fields position while helping theirs. DBs should be taught never to do that. (Shouldn't they?)

--Yeats

One other thing that Kalani and Morgan Scalley might need to work on with the DBs: Intercepting that ball on 4th down made it into a BYU punt, in effect, and hurt our fields position while helping theirs. DBs should be taught never to do that. (Shouldn't they?)
    Agree 100%. Hopefully that is an error that will be corrected