Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Cougars beat themselves again? Or, 4 in a row, Provo! Utah vs. BYU 2013

Will the Cougars beat themselves again? Or, 4 in a row, Provo! Utah vs. BYU 2013

OK, let's get started. We can change the thread title if we want. (Suggestions will be considered.)

We will win or lose at the line of scrimmage. If Wilson gets time to throw and the RBs can get some decent holes at the right times; and if we can stop their running game enough to make Hill try to beat us with his arm and actually pressure him a little, we can win.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

1.I want to keep byu under 300total yards offense. If our defense can do that, we will exorcise demons from yesterday.

2. Tight ends need to combine for 100 yards receiving and 2 touchdowns. Van Noy is good, and using the TEs will keep him from free ranging on defense.

3. Our offensive and defensive lines must dominate. That's got to happen.

4. We need to get up early. My heart meds aren't strong enough to stave off a heart attack in another coaster come from behind game.

5. Steelblue and Bluegoose are my travel companions to the game. I don't want to drive back for 12 hours in a Honda Pilot with them gloating. If the Utes need motivation to win, they should win for me!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    OK, let's get started. We can change the thread title if we want. (Suggestions will be considered.)

We will win or lose at the line of scrimmage. If Wilson gets time to throw and the RBs can get some decent holes at the right times; and if we can stop their running game enough to make Hill try to beat us with his arm and actually pressure him a little, we can win.
    I haven't watched the byu play this year, but my guess is that Hill will be the third best QB the Utes have faced this year.
    On the other hand, this will be the best defense the Utes have faced. I like our speed guys on the outside - if Wilson can get them the ball. I just worry that Wilson will be on his back a lot.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

This is a must win. No if's ands or butts. I think most people aren't killing themselves over last night's loss. If Whitt wants to see the masses turn on him, lose next week. They HAVE to win this game. No excuses, get it done.

We need to come out throwing the ball. BYU's front 7 may be the stiffest we'll face this year. If we come out and try an run on them the first two plays, we're going to start the game the same way we've started every game this year. Three and out. Three and out. I know Utah's history is run to set up the pass, but it isn't working. We need first downs on our first possession. No excuses. I don't want to give BYU anything to get excited about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    We need to come out throwing the ball. BYU's front 7 may be the stiffest we'll face this year. If we come out and try an run on them the first two plays, we're going to start the game the same way we've started every game this year. Three and out. Three and out. I know Utah's history is run to set up the pass, but it isn't working. We need first downs on our first possession. No excuses. I don't want to give BYU anything to get excited about.

I like this idea.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I like this idea.
    Ditto. Throw it on them to let them know we are multi-dimensional. I'd like to stuff it down the middle of the field w Murphy or Fitzgerald so they know that their tight ends are going to have to pay attention there and can't just clog running lanes.

We must take BYU into the toolshed and make them suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    We must take BYU into the toolshed and make them suffer.
    Our recent history is to let hard losses effect our play the next week. That trend had better end now.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Our recent history is to let hard losses effect our play the next week. That trend had better end now.
    You're right but I hope that effect is limited to demoralizing beatdowns (TCU, e.g.). This Oregon State loss shouldn't cause that.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-15-2013 at 04:31 PM.

--Yeats

We will win this going away. Our offense is fine. Our defense can't stop the pass. BYU doesn't have the forward pass in its arsenal.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    We will win this going away. Our offense is fine. Our defense can't stop the pass. BYU doesn't have the forward pass in its arsenal.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    They don't have a consistent forward pass threat, but it is folly, IMO, to assume they can't get it down field. Hoffman is a special receiver and if Hill can hit even a couple of those downfield throws, it could spell trouble.

In spite of how bad Hill has looked, I don't think BYU's passing game should be written off. We still need to get some pressure on Hill to effect that passing game. That has been a problem so far.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    BYU doesn't have the forward pass in its arsenal.
    It's not like we haven't struggled vs running QBs the past few years.
    Last edited by sancho; 09-15-2013 at 05:33 PM.

The Target in American Fork is prepping for the inevitable conversion of ByU fans to the Utes new rival

uploadfromtaptalk1379298178786.jpg
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    The Target in American Fork is prepping for the inevitable conversion of ByU fans to the Utes new rival

uploadfromtaptalk1379298178786.jpg
    Oh that's just awesome! Haha!

Did you really rip off the thread title directly from CUF? You can do better than that, I'm sure.

How about a thread title of "Roscoe and Flash: Bronco and Kyle lose a 4th straight"

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    How about a thread title of "Roscoe and Flash: Bronco and Kyle lose a 4th straight"
    Or "...try to avoid a 4th straight loss"

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Or "...try to avoid a 4th straight loss"
    "Call the HCO! Cougars Beat Themselves Again!"
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

REDemption-free zone; or 4 in a row, Provo: Utah vs. BYU 2013

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    Did you really rip off the thread title directly from CUF? You can do better than that, I'm sure.
    It's a placeholder but it is a play on that one, yes. Hey, a rivalry is a rivalry. Can't we have a board rivalry too? It's friendly on our side.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-15-2013 at 09:16 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    "Call the HCO! Cougars Beat Themselves Again!"
    Nice! I dig it.

The Battle of (Happy) Valley Four'd.

Jarid's idea wins.

--Yeats

How about:

Home away from home: where Utah wins 70% of the time.

I see this BYU offense as similar to GT or AFA. Those are triple option offenses, and BYU is a read option. But they are similar in that 90% of their offense comes on the ground. They will run all day then surprise with a pass. The bad news is that Utah has historically struggled with those types of teams. AFA used to set season records in passing against us since we would put everything into stopping the run. I think that has to be the game plan this week as well. Give them what they can get in the air, but make sure the ground is a dead end.

So is BYU running a lot of plays this year? I know they were trying to "go Oregon". Have they been up-tempo?

How do Utah fans feel about faking injuries if our defense needs a substitution/breather?

I see this BYU offense as similar to GT or AFA. Those are triple option offenses, and BYU is a read option. But they are similar in that 90% of their offense comes on the ground. They will run all day then surprise with a pass. The bad news is that Utah has historically struggled with those types of teams. AFA used to set season records in passing against us since we would put everything into stopping the run. I think that has to be the game plan this week as well. Give them what they can get in the air, but make sure the ground is a dead end.
    If by "struggling" you mean they failed in stopping both the pass AND run, you'd be right. But there's nothing out there, statistically or W-L, to suggest Utah has come even close to that. Yes, AFA has had some above-average days throwing the ball against us, but their big plays in the air have also resulted in AFA throwing more interceptions than they're used to.

Some of AFA's worst rushing performances have come against Utah. The 2008 game saw AFA rush for a school-record low 53 yards on 42 carries. Now I don't want to turn this thread into a history of what we've done against AFA, but we won seven of our last 8 against AFA (and the loss was with a backup QB making his first start) because we defended AFA fantastically. We never blew out AFA because the Falcons are well-coached and took exceptional advantage of every mistake we made on offense or special teams.

BYU can get its yards between the 20s, and I suspect they will. But inside the 20, they're gonna have to throw the ball with some success (much like we're going to have to run it when the role is reversed).

One caveat: Our biggest struggles in defending read-option teams have come against great teams (TCU 2009-10, Oregon 2009) that would've probably beaten us silly out of any kind of offensive formation. But BYU does not pose that kind of problem. The Georgia Tech bowl game is probably the best example to back up what you're saying, but I view that game as an outlier of sorts. After Saturday, I almost welcome playing an option offense like BYU's. Kyle will have us ready.

So is BYU running a lot of plays this year? I know they were trying to "go Oregon". Have they been up-tempo?

How do Utah fans feel about faking injuries if our defense needs a substitution/breather?
    I'm all for it. Not only will it buy us some time, but BYU fans will boo such tactics and we can accuse them of heartless behavior for booing players who are legitimately injured. Win-win.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I'm all for it. Not only will it buy us some time, but BYU fans will boo such tactics and we can accuse them of heartless behavior for booing players who are legitimately injured. Win-win.
    At some point, someone will force the NCAA to do something about fake injuries by faking over and over again throughout a big game. Until, the faking will continue. We could be that team! Fake every time we want a substitution/rest, and there could be a "Utah rule" in the books next year!

I haven't been able to get a good read on BYU so far this year. Against Virginia it was horrible conditions and Hill was unable to hit any of his receivers(maybe he can't in good conditions), when they played the team posing as Texas, Hill didn't have to pass. In what little I have watched of Hill it always appeared to me that he does not possess the accuracy to truly be an imposing passer. He can certainly throw the ball further than that long haired safety BYU played at QB the last two years but I'm not sold on Hill being anything more than a runner.
    The Utah defense has been strong against the run up until this point and very vulnerable against the pass. Given the fact BYU is a running team and hasn't proven they can pass, I give Utah a great chance of holding BYU to under 30 points once again. The questions is how good is the BYU defense? Virginia doesn't have much on offense and Texas inexplicably was unable to adjust on both sides of the ball against BYU. I believe BYU does possess a great defense, but I'm not sold they are better than what Utah saw against Utah St. BYU relies heavily on getting pressure to the opposing QB since their DBs are depleted and probably not that great to begin with.
    If Utah's OL gives Wilson the time to make passes, it will be a long day for the Cougars of Provo. Of course in the end this is a rivalry game and everything goes out the window as to predicting a victor unless one team is clearly better. Utah has the speed to beat BYU, but so did Texas.