Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: Will the Cougars beat themselves again? Or, 4 in a row, Provo! Utah vs. BYU 2013

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think Rowe will probably learn from this that he should just make a play and jog away smiling - which he should have done this time. Still, on a crucial third down play late in a game, a ref should be pretty careful about calling a game-changing unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Reminds me of when Majerus got T'd up in the final seconds of the NIT semifinal against Notre Dame. That one pretty much gave the game to the Irish.
    Plus Rowe is supposed to be the leader, example, the elder statesman. He needs to be kicking the butt of younger players who do it, not doing it himself. Reminds me of the Ute receiver who at the end of the 98 Y game got up from a catch to signal a first down, got a celebration or taunting penalty, and took Kaneshiro out of easy field goal range, leading to the doink.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    And I didn't even know you could challenge a penalty. They not only let Bronco challenge a penalty, but they overturned it even though the replay clearly showed the flag was valid.

Those refs were horrible. They should not be allowed to ref another game until they complete a training class.
    Says the poster who doesn't know the rulebook. There are several penalties that can be challenged. Any penalty involving the ball (illegal forward pass, illegal touching) can be challenged. PI is a rare judgment call that can be challenged, but only because the exception to PI involves a tipped ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Murphy is tall, but not that tall.
    Swish!!!
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    There are several penalties that can be challenged. Any penalty involving the ball (illegal forward pass, illegal touching) can be challenged. PI is a rare judgment call that can be challenged, but only because the exception to PI involves a tipped ball.
    Remind me: does the video evidence have to be overwhelming to overturn the ruling on the field? I don't recall. If it does that PI overturn was a travesty.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The problem I have with overturning that call is that although it is obvious that the ball was tipped, the interference was before, during and after the tipping. It is my understanding that the tipping can only excuse the PI that occurs after the tip. How does the replay official know what contact is being called interference?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The problem I have with overturning that call is that although it is obvious that the ball was tipped, the interference was before, during and after the tipping. It is my understanding that the tipping can only excuse the PI that occurs after the tip. How does the replay official know what contact is being called interference?
    Yeah, if that were the case, then any defensive back could tackle a receiver before the ball gets there, add long as he makes sure he "tips" the ball at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Usually, when a tipped ball wipes out PI, the tip occurs at the line of scrimmage. It's something the line judge or referee sees, but the field judge does not. It's almost always corrected without the help of replay, because the ref throwing the flag knows he probably didn't see the tip at the LOS. But before last night, I had never seen it used on a ball that was tipped so far downfield.

This play was easily the low point of what was an otherwise evenly called and clean game. The PI never happened, because the receiver and ball were in two different zip codes. You could call defensive holding and it would be a legitimate call. Not Helen Keller obvious by any stretch, but it would've made the tip unreviewable.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Remind me: does the video evidence have to be overwhelming to overturn the ruling on the field? I don't recall. If it does that PI overturn was a travesty.
    Of course it does, just like any other play. When does video evidence not have to be overwhelming to overturn a call? (BYU fans reading this, don't respond. I think I know what you'll say and you're right. Leave it at that).

One has to wonder what the reaction to this crew will be from the Pac-12, or how it graded out. This was one of the more cleanly officiated games that I can remember in the rivalry. At the same time, I am lost as to how the PI call could have been reversed. Not only is defensive holding the better call, it is the easier call to make here. This isn't the NFL, where PI is a spot foul.

To be precise, I believe the standard is "indisputable video evidence." Which sounds even higher than "overwhelming."

Given this particular crews documented trouble already this season it's even more glaring.

Frankly the NCAA review procedure is flawed, having someone 6 stories up making game changing decisions makes no sense.

Worth watching! I hope Jacoby Hale can get back into action.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell