Thread: A week in Spain in July?

A week in Spain in July?

going with my family, mostly grown. any advice on where to go, what to do there?

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    going with my family, mostly grown. any advice on where to go, what to do there?
    Where in Spain? If you are in the south go to Granada and see the Alhambra.

Probably Barcelona and the north east mostly. We can drive there from our house in Germany.

Just checked the link to Alhambra - gorgeous. Lots of Moorish history, which is right up my alley, since I'm a Middle East focused guy. Thanks for that.
    Last edited by Expat; 02-20-2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added information

Probably Barcelona and the north east mostly. We can drive there from our house in Germany.
    I have spent some time in San Sebastian and it is one of the prettiest places on earth to go to. You could also go to Pamplona (running of the bulls) and bibao wouldnt be a far trek. But my first suggestion is San Sebastian. Enjoy the beach and then take a drive in the mountains that are on coast. You will never forget it.

Sounds wonderful. Thanks for the advice.
    Life is not a zero-sum game - we can all succeed together, and we can all be better off for it

Someone had to make this corny joke. I'm taking one for the team here.

As MRD mentioned, The Alhambra is a must see. I've never been to San Sebastian or Barcelona both have been mentioned to me by others. I would also add the drive along the southern coast from Almeria to Cadiz. Plenty of sleepy little villages and large modern cities. Sevilla is great but hot as an oven in July though. I spent the summer of '92 there where regularly the temp would reach nearly 50C.

50 is pretty hot. Sounds like Oman in the midday sun.

I think we'll start on the Spanish Riviera in the north, and head south - see what we can see. Plenty of time to see lots.

One more question, drive or take the train?
    Life is not a zero-sum game - we can all succeed together, and we can all be better off for it

50 is pretty hot. Sounds like Oman in the midday sun.

I think we'll start on the Spanish Riviera in the north, and head south - see what we can see. Plenty of time to see lots.

One more question, drive or take the train?

I have driven all around spain and we went 95 - 100 mph the whole way. BTW sevillle is a really cool place. I thought it was just going to be some churches and such but the architecture all moorish is really cool. If you get into the Northwest that can be pretty cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I have spent some time in San Sebastian and it is one of the prettiest places on earth to go to. You could also go to Pamplona (running of the bulls) and bibao wouldnt be a far trek. But my first suggestion is San Sebastian. Enjoy the beach and then take a drive in the mountains that are on coast. You will never forget it.
    If you spend time in San Sebastian you may as well head up the coast and cross the border into France. Visit the beaches in Saint-Jean-de-luz and Biarritz. The drive through the Pyrénée mountains to get there is worth a trip all on it's own. It's incredibly beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    If you spend time in San Sebastian you may as well head up the coast and cross the border into France. Visit the beaches in Saint-Jean-de-luz and Biarritz. The drive through the Pyrénée mountains to get there is worth a trip all on it's own. It's incredibly beautiful.
    Biarritz is a poor man's San Sebastian... of course its still pretty nice.

Bite your tongue!

Biarritz is fantastic. Great surfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Bite your tongue!

I'll bite my thumb at you! being the poor man's San Sebastian is comparing Mitt Romney's wealth with Jon Hunstman. Either way they are both pretty rich but one guy has more.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Bite your tongue!

Have you been to Tenerife? I'm not sure about the regular surfing but I know the winds blaze through there and the wind surfers flock there with regularity.